The Master's Parables

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Master's Parables

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Why was this parable included in the Urantia Book if it was “not according to the gospel we preach” as Simon Peter said before he recited it?
    I think the reason Jesus “never consented to make comment thereon” is because the message is natural and obvious.
    Could it be, like Abraham said in the parable “If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded even if one were to rise from the dead” like Jesus did, then the refusal to “hear” will lead to ending up not surviving because “there is a great gulf so that we cannot go to you?”
    What is the meaning of the parable?

(1693.2) “There was a certain rich man named Dives, who, being clothed in purple and fine linen, lived in mirth and splendor every day. And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, who was laid at this rich man’s gate, covered with sores and desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table; yes, even the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass that the beggar died and was carried away by the angels to rest in Abraham’s bosom. And then, presently, this rich man also died and was buried with great pomp and regal splendor. When the rich man departed from this world, he waked up in Hades, and finding himself in torment, he lifted up his eyes and beheld Abraham afar off and Lazarus in his bosom. And then Dives cried aloud: ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send over Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water to cool my tongue, for I am in great anguish because of my punishment.’ And then Abraham replied: ‘My son, you should remember that in your lifetime you enjoyed the good things while Lazarus in like manner suffered the evil. But now all this is changed, seeing that Lazarus is comforted while you are tormented. And besides, between us and you there is a great gulf so that we cannot go to you, neither can you come over to us.’ Then said Dives to Abraham: ‘I pray you send Lazarus back to my father’s house, inasmuch as I have five brothers, that he may so testify as to prevent my brothers from coming to this place of torment.’ But Abraham said: ‘My son, they have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ And then answered Dives: ‘No, No, Father Abraham! but if one go to them from the dead, they will repent.’ And then said Abraham: ‘If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded even if one were to rise from the dead.’”

(169:3.3) After Peter had recited this ancient parable of the Nazarite brotherhood, and since the crowd had quieted down, Andrew arose and dismissed them for the night. Although both the apostles and his disciples frequently asked Jesus questions about the parable of Dives and Lazarus, he never consented to make comment thereon.

First of all this is an old parable from the old testament times where it was believed by the Hebrews that both Heaven and Hell were located in the center of the Earth, and until Pentecost, where those souls from the time of Adam, were lifted up into a new Heaven, and Hell stayed below, so to speak.  Jesus did not speak on this because He would have had to tell them the truth regarding this parable and would counter the message He was destined to bring.  However, the overall message presented in this parable is that once dead, and you are sorted out to either Heaven or Hell, in those days, as they believed, there is no going back to warn others and that what they needed to know is in the written words as was presented by “Moses and the prophets”, where if what was being taught based on these factors, one would either believe or not in those teachings, where if presented with the fact of a life after death, and the possibility of two different outcomes, were already presented in the law’s of Moses and presented by the prophets of old.  No additional message presented by the dead, would change that which they were not putting into action while alive, but it also indicated that what was being taught may have been miss-represented or misinterpreted, possibly to satisfy the needs of those doing the teaching.  That which was presented by Moses and the prophets was simple, yet made more difficult by those who seemed to interpret their words to suite their needs as they saw fit, whereby they were escalated above Moses and the prophets.

This same “great gulf” still exists between the rich and the poor, today and even with the teaching of Jesus, has it not changed much.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I understand what you’re saying Bradly. I have to admit I’m anything but sure about what I’ve been thinking, what Dives’ parable means and why it was included in the text as a btw. I’m wondering though, you often add to the discussions, the reality of how we’re engaged in transferring the seat of our identities from the material to the morontial. These experiences are spiritual in nature and are the result of the willingness and desire to listen to what can be heard, if one so chooses, in order to grow Godward. But when there isn’t an interest in listening, then that’s what becomes identified. To be unwilling. What I wonder is, if such an unspiritual identification is even possible of transformation. If not, then returning to life over there probably won’t change much. :-( I hope I’m wrong. I have kids. I have faith in all flickers.

Well Enno…..I would suggest that perhaps you are leaning upon old habits in your thinking on this and I mean no insult by pointing out that opinion….we discussed the reality that children (pre TA and after) and primitive peoples/minds still can respond to the higher Adjutants to both give birth to soul and also add to soul.  And can do so prior to or even lacking that personal, conscious commitment to the Spirit within.  Growth is unconscious remember.  You would need to show me someone who lacked all love of others and any compassion and instead, lived by feeding on hate and the hurting of others….a truly pathological and sociopathic person.  I don’t mean someone self centered or self important or self indulgent or lazy or weak willed or sometimes mean or cruel (but not always), someone far beyond foolish and immature.

I don’t think any form of anxiety is ever helpful regarding any issue or matter whatsoever.  I hope you lay down your anxieties regarding your own or anyone else’s ‘safety’ in the friendly universe ruled in and by love and mercy and patience.  This mortal life is but a split second of time and our world suffers by many factors leading to our near-universal ignorance and confusion about the reality of the friendly universe and family of creation.  To be anxious for yourself or for others prevents you from truly being of service to others by your own bright beacon of faith and trust in God.   The good news given us about Thomas is a great one for consideration…Thomas could always be counted on for doubts and skepticisms but could find his way through those to become a pillar of faith and hope.  No doubt we can all do so….especially you I think!  I see you quivering on that brink already….

My grannie always told me….”If you are worried, you should be praying and if praying then what’s to worry about?”  She also told me, when I confronted this Southern Baptist stalwart about contradictions in the Bible as a child….”There are many mysteries in life, the answers to which the Lord will reveal in His own time and way.  Do not doubt God or love in your confusions….Trust the Lord!”  Can’t wait to see her on the other side….she may need to wait for me a long time as I am certain she had a short slumber!

So…you remember we discussed how primitives and children can identify the dual nature and begin, quite easily and naturally, to project power and purpose and mysteriousness onto all manner of ‘other’ forces?  This is nearly a reflexive, natural tendency delivered through the Holy Spirit’s Adjutants….the first and a most pervasive spiritual force within mortal mind.  You seem to be presuming that one cannot make Circle Progress without being born again (that personal moment of commitment) but I think you are wrong (if I understand your position at all?).  I doubt the third circle can be penetrated without that moment as I doubt the Personal Guardians are assigned to the ‘uncommitted’ (but I could be off base on that assumption…as so many others).  But how many Circles might be progressed simply by being caring and kind and patient and long suffering and hopeful and giving love to another?  A lot in my opinion!!  It appears to me that ‘faith’ comes in lots of flavors, colors, and sizes….but the committed kind is by far the most fruitful!!  Or is that fruity?

I think that’s why we are instructed to truly and kindly and patiently seek the inner light in others and appeal to it and fan the flicker or torch found there.  We are told that if we could truly empathize and learn the path another has walked we would be so much slower to judge the spiritualization or its lack in others.

Okay….starting to sound preachy….oh dear!  Believe me I’m preaching to the mirror…and the choir here.  Thanks for asking Menno.

:good:

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I’m wondering though, you often add to the discussions, the reality of how we’re engaged in transferring the seat of our identities from the material to the morontial. These experiences are spiritual in nature and are the result of the willingness and desire to listen to what can be heard, if one so chooses, in order to grow Godward.

I’d like to address this important issue in more detail (and remember, I’m applying creative reading in my own uncertainties here) regarding the transfer of the seat of identity, and also the difference between “willingness”, “desire”, and conscious intent.  Does the flower need to believe, understand, and be willing to grow into the light and blossom and seed?  Can the mortal mind be spiritized,  inspired, comforted, and led into spirit led decisions without consciousness of that fact?  Interesting questions!

Does the meandering trail through the edges of conflict that circles about and wanders about not, eventually, lead one to the same destination as the straight path that is so much shorter?  Aren’t we taught that it is not the speed nor the distance we travel up the Paradise Path that is measured but rather the direction (forward) and the persistent, if slow and meandering, progress….ever learning a little straighter way forward…and sometimes taking a step back or two before moving forward yet again?

The “willing” issue is also important.  Like I said before…willingness and eagerness and commitment bring faster growth and more progress to be sure….and must come prior to fusion.  But I believe the mind responds to the Adjutants, and the Spirit of Truth, and the TA in unconscious ways and does infect our will and the manner of our choices and the choices themselves.  The conscience itself leads mind to the Golden Rule.  Does someone who has not committed their life to the transfer of identity and Paradise and God ever feel guilt or remorse?  How so?  From whence comes such feelings?  Do they love any other?  Why?  If not “willing” and desirous in some form and at some level?

The only parable related to these issues I can recall now would be the Good Shepherd.  A story of the caring effort of the worthy shepherd to find those lost among the thorns and rocks meandering about in confusion.  Each mortal born is very precious to the Lord and to all who serve the Lord.  Lost ones only appear to be lost to other sheep but our shepherd knows all about us and where we are and gently calls and guides us no matter how little or lost we may be.

And this I think is the most important element of all elements in the Revelation….WE ARE SAFE!!!  It’s a caring and kind and forgiving and loving and merciful universe and we are Divinely cared for by the most understanding and patient and persistent and skilled of shepherds.  Fear not….how many times did the Master bellow that over the hillsides and lakes and valleys?  And whisper it in the ear of children and the fearful and the lost?  Mortals are all about screaming “REPENT” but the Master says Follow Me Home.

Enno….I hope this helps….I’ve enjoyed and benefitted by such reflections.  I feel serene and sublime!  Thank you.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

We should remember that there is no need for the Mansion Worlds when the mortal soul fuses with the Adjuster on the world of birth….Mansion Worlds are remedial education and experience centers for all those who have tares in their wheat field upon mortality….there remains more wheat still to grow prior to fusion itself.

Does it say that somewhere?

Why are we told this:

47:8.3 This is a brilliant age for ascending mortals and usually witnesses the perfect fusion of the human mind and the divine Adjuster. In potential, this fusion may have occurred previously, but the actual working identity many times is not achieved until the time of the sojourn on the fifth mansion world or even the sixth.

Some folks may have fused earlier, but they apparently still have to go to mansion worlds five and six, and I’m sure number seven too.  Then there’s these quotes which seem to suggest that fused mortals still go to the mansion worlds:

55:2.7 Mortal observers can see nothing of their translated associates subsequent to the fusion flash. Such translated soul proceed by Adjuster transit direct to the resurrection hall of the appropriate morontia-training world.

47:3.7 Between the time of planetary death or translation and resurrection on the mansion world, mortal man gains absolutely nothing aside from experiencing the fact of survival. You begin over there right where you leave off down here.

Heck, even Jesus went to all the mansion worlds.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Yes Bonita…I certainly got the cart in front without more detail, context, and….the text itself.  Thank you.  I will do the research…gladly.

I believe the UB says that as more and more planets become settled in L&L, and especially when a System is settled in L&L – planet by planet, System by System, THEN do the Mansion Worlds see less ‘traffic’ over the eons to come.  I believe I recall that in that long distant time when every mortal world and System and Local Universe creation, and all 7 Super Universes are all settled in L&L that the author is at a loss to predict or speculate as to the future of the current universes of time and space.

I also recall that all personages/beings in current time and space are all ‘ascenders’ – even the descenders.  There are some real adventures ahead….and support and comfort and guidance with every step forward chosen by the pilgrims of time.

L&L is a long way away for Urantia and Nebadon and don’t know which Local in which Super will become the last and youngest deemed “inhabited” but a long, long time away to be sure!  I appreciate the clarification and value you so generously provide Bonita…a blessing.

:-)

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant
    And this I think is the most important element of all elements in the Revelation….WE ARE SAFE!!! It’s a caring and kind and forgiving and loving and merciful universe and we are Divinely cared for by the most understanding and patient and persistent and skilled of shepherds.
    Bradly, thanks for your consistent support of this great truth. I haven’t ever doubted it, but as I go through the process of growing and learning, knowing that God is always going to be more than I’ll ever be able to understand at any given moment, I’m assured and balanced because I also know he’s more loving than I’ll ever be able to appreciate. And then I feel his loving hand reach down and hold me on the shoulder when l didn’t know I needed it. That’s when I become aware of things words can’t describe.
    Enno
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

These experiences are spiritual in nature and are the result of the willingness and desire to listen to what can be heard, if one so chooses, in order to grow Godward.

It’s not just spiritual in nature and it involves more than hearing.  I don’t want to get too picky about this, I just want to attempt to explain that transferring the seat of identity has to do with decision making, and these decisions must involve the whole person, not just the spiritual element.  And hearing alone is not the issue either.  Listening has little to do with hearing, it has to do with discovering, recognizing and interpreting meanings and values.  It’s thinking aligned with reality that gets you there, and it’s the Adjuster who provides that sense of reality.  When attuned and locked onto that sense . . . you’re on your way, or better yet, The Way.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Bonita….I think I’ll just ‘stand corrected’ on the Mansion World thing as it’s not really topical here anyway.  I misspoke and went into the weeds at the same time.  = )  It happens!

;-)

Enno…appreciate your words.  We all (and me especially) need to take opportunities given us to uplift one another and brighten the light of the Spirit for others….the Good News is not that complicated to understand or share.  All we really have to do is be confident in God and be joyful as his children.  Happy children share…love, laughter, adventure, discovery, toys, and joy.

:-)

Got this daily bread today that shows the parable of the good shepherd may have origin a little older than I thought – this from the research of Ganid and Jesus on Hinduism in Paper 131 – The World’s Religions:

131:4.4 (1448.3) “With our hearts purged of all hate, let us worship the Eternal. Our God is the Lord of prayer; he hears the cry of his children. Let all men submit their wills to him, the Resolute. Let us delight in the liberality of the Lord of prayer. Make prayer your inmost friend and worship your soul’s support. ‘If you will but worship me in love,’ says the Eternal, ‘I will give you the wisdom to attain me, for my worship is the virtue common to all creatures.’ God is the illuminator of the gloomy and the power of those who are faint. Since God is our strong friend, we have no more fear. We praise the name of the never-conquered Conqueror. We worship him because he is man’s faithful and eternal helper. God is our sure leader and unfailing guide. He is the great parent of heaven and earth, possessed of unlimited energy and infinite wisdom. His splendor is sublime and his beauty divine. He is the supreme refuge of the universe and the changeless guardian of everlasting law. Our God is the Lord of life and the Comforter of all men; he is the lover of mankind and the helper of those who are distressed. He is our life giver and the Good Shepherd of the human flocks. God is our father, brother, and friend. And we long to know this God in our inner being.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

The next parable on Bonita’s list (page 1 of this topic) is one of the most lengthy and detailed parable of the Lost Son and comes after the Lazarus miracle and near the end of Jesus’ days as a mortal, the Son of Man.  There are parables and old scripture given as the teaching prelude and I’ll start with that to set up the consideration of this teaching which, to me, is a deeper and more personal lesson but not unlike the Good Shepherd which begins the discourse and lesson on the love of Father.

First a link to Paper 169: https://urantia-association.org/the-urantia-book/part-4/paper-169/

1. Parable of the Lost Son

(1850.8) 169:1.1 On Thursday afternoon Jesus talked to the multitude about the “Grace of Salvation.” In the course of this sermon he retold the story of the lost sheep and the lost coin and then added his favorite parable of the prodigal son. Said Jesus:

(1850.9) 169:1.2 “You have been admonished by the prophets from Samuel to John that you should seek for God — search for truth. Always have they said, ‘Seek the Lord while he may be found.’ And all such teaching should be taken to heart. But I have come to show you that, while you are seeking to find God, God is likewise seeking to find you. Many times have I told you the story of the good shepherd who left the ninety and nine sheep in the fold while he went forth searching for the one that was lost, and how, when he had found the straying sheep, he laid it over his shoulder and tenderly carried it back to the fold. And when the lost sheep had been restored to the fold, you remember that the good shepherd called in his friends and bade them rejoice with him over the finding of the sheep that had been lost. Again I say there is more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over the ninety and nine just persons who need no repentance. The fact that souls are lost only increases the interest of the heavenly Father. I have come to this world to do my Father’s bidding, and it has truly been said of the Son of Man that he is a friend of publicans and sinners.

(1851.1) 169:1.3 “You have been taught that divine acceptance comes after your repentance and as a result of all your works of sacrifice and penitence, but I assure you that the Father accepts you even before you have repented and sends the Son and his associates to find you and bring you, with rejoicing, back to the fold, the kingdom of sonship and spiritual progress. You are all like sheep which have gone astray, and I have come to seek and to save those who are lost.

(1851.2) 169:1.4 “And you should also remember the story of the woman who, having had ten pieces of silver made into a necklace of adornment, lost one piece, and how she lit the lamp and diligently swept the house and kept up the search until she found the lost piece of silver. And as soon as she found the coin that was lost, she called together her friends and neighbors, saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the piece that was lost.’ So again I say, there is always joy in the presence of the angels of heaven over one sinner who repents and returns to the Father’s fold. And I tell you this story to impress upon you that the Father and his Son go forth to search for those who are lost, and in this search we employ all influences capable of rendering assistance in our diligent efforts to find those who are lost, those who stand in need of salvation. And so, while the Son of Man goes out in the wilderness to seek for the sheep gone astray, he also searches for the coin which is lost in the house. The sheep wanders away, unintentionally; the coin is covered by the dust of time and obscured by the accumulation of the things of men.

(1851.3) 169:1.5 “And now I would like to tell you the story of a thoughtless son of a well-to-do farmer who deliberately left his father’s house and went off into a foreign land, where he fell into much tribulation. You recall that the sheep strayed away without intention, but this youth left his home with premeditation. It was like this:

(1851.4) 169:1.6 “A certain man had two sons; one, the younger, was lighthearted and carefree, always seeking for a good time and shirking responsibility, while his older brother was serious, sober, hard-working, and willing to bear responsibility……

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

(1851.4) 169:1.6 “A certain man had two sons; one, the younger, was lighthearted and carefree, always seeking for a good time and shirking responsibility, while his older brother was serious, sober, hard-working, and willing to bear responsibility. Now these two brothers did not get along well together; they were always quarreling and bickering. The younger lad was cheerful and vivacious, but indolent and unreliable; the older son was steady and industrious, at the same time self-centered, surly, and conceited. The younger son enjoyed play but shunned work; the older devoted himself to work but seldom played. This association became so disagreeable that the younger son came to his father and said: ‘Father, give me the third portion of your possessions which would fall to me and allow me to go out into the world to seek my own fortune.’ And when the father heard this request, knowing how unhappy the young man was at home and with his older brother, he divided his property, giving the youth his share.

(1851.5) 169:1.7 “Within a few weeks the young man gathered together all his funds and set out upon a journey to a far country, and finding nothing profitable to do which was also pleasurable, he soon wasted all his inheritance in riotous living. And when he had spent all, there arose a prolonged famine in that country, and he found himself in want. And so, when he suffered hunger and his distress was great, he found employment with one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into the fields to feed swine. And the young man would fain have filled himself with the husks which the swine ate, but no one would give him anything.

(1852.1) 169:1.8 “One day, when he was very hungry, he came to himself and said: ‘How many hired servants of my father have bread enough and to spare while I perish with hunger, feeding swine off here in a foreign country! I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him: Father, I have sinned against heaven and against you. I am no more worthy to be called your son; only be willing to make me one of your hired servants.’ And when the young man had reached this decision, he arose and started out for his father’s house.

(1852.2) 169:1.9 “Now this father had grieved much for his son; he had missed the cheerful, though thoughtless, lad. This father loved this son and was always on the lookout for his return, so that on the day he approached his home, even while he was yet afar off, the father saw him and, being moved with loving compassion, ran out to meet him, and with affectionate greeting he embraced and kissed him. And after they had thus met, the son looked up into his father’s tearful face and said: ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and in your sight; I am no more worthy to be called a son’ — but the lad did not find opportunity to complete his confession because the overjoyed father said to the servants who had by this time come running up: ‘Bring quickly his best robe, the one I have saved, and put it on him and put the son’s ring on his hand and fetch sandals for his feet.’

(1852.3) 169:1.10 “And then, after the happy father had led the footsore and weary lad into the house, he called to his servants: ‘Bring on the fatted calf and kill it, and let us eat and make merry, for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found.’ And they all gathered about the father to rejoice with him over the restoration of his son.

(1852.4) 169:1.11 “About this time, while they were celebrating, the elder son came in from his day’s work in the field, and as he drew near the house, he heard the music and the dancing. And when he came up to the back door, he called out one of the servants and inquired as to the meaning of all this festivity. And then said the servant: ‘Your long-lost brother has come home, and your father has killed the fatted calf to rejoice over his son’s safe return. Come in that you also may greet your brother and receive him back into your father’s house.’

(1852.5) 169:1.12 “But when the older brother heard this, he was so hurt and angry he would not go into the house. When his father heard of his resentment of the welcome of his younger brother, he went out to entreat him. But the older son would not yield to his father’s persuasion. He answered his father, saying: ‘Here these many years have I served you, never transgressing the least of your commands, and yet you never gave me even a kid that I might make merry with my friends. I have remained here to care for you all these years, and you never made rejoicing over my faithful service, but when this your son returns, having squandered your substance with harlots, you make haste to kill the fatted calf and make merry over him.’

(1852.6) 169:1.13 “Since this father truly loved both of his sons, he tried to reason with this older one: ‘But, my son, you have all the while been with me, and all this which I have is yours. You could have had a kid at any time you had made friends to share your merriment. But it is only proper that you should now join with me in being glad and merry because of your brother’s return. Think of it, my son, your brother was lost and is found; he has returned alive to us!’”

(1853.1) 169:1.14 This was one of the most touching and effective of all the parables which Jesus ever presented to impress upon his hearers the Father’s willingness to receive all who seek entrance into the kingdom of heaven.

(1853.2) 169:1.15 Jesus was very partial to telling these three stories at the same time. He presented the story of the lost sheep to show that, when men unintentionally stray away from the path of life, the Father is mindful of such lost ones and goes out, with his Sons, the true shepherds of the flock, to seek the lost sheep. He then would recite the story of the coin lost in the house to illustrate how thorough is the divine searching for all who are confused, confounded, or otherwise spiritually blinded by the material cares and accumulations of life. And then he would launch forth into the telling of this parable of the lost son, the reception of the returning prodigal, to show how complete is the restoration of the lost son into his Father’s house and heart.

(1853.3) 169:1.16 Many, many times during his years of teaching, Jesus told and retold this story of the prodigal son. This parable and the story of the good Samaritan were his favorite means of teaching the love of the Father and the neighborliness of man.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I love this paragraph:

(1853.2) 169:1.15 Jesus was very partial to telling these three stories at the same time. He presented the story of the lost sheep to show that, when men unintentionally stray away from the path of life, the Father is mindful of such lost ones and goes out, with his Sons, the true shepherds of the flock, to seek the lost sheep. He then would recite the story of the coin lost in the house to illustrate how thorough is the divine searching for all who are confused, confounded, or otherwise spiritually blinded by the material cares and accumulations of life. And then he would launch forth into the telling of this parable of the lost son, the reception of the returning prodigal, to show how complete is the restoration of the lost son into his Father’s house and heart.

Can you imagine how much love there must be in God’s heart to constantly be mindful of lost souls and perpetually work to bring them back to him?  It’s awesome to me.  Elsewhere we’re told that the less love a person has in their heart, the more God sees a need and tries to fulfill that need.  That’s a God working overtime, non-stop . . . and he lives in your head!!!!

156:5.11 The less of love in any creature’s nature, the greater the love need, and the more does divine love seek to satisfy such need.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

God’s love and tender mercy in the endless pursuit of the lost, no matter how or where or why, as exemplified in the parables has been a source of joy and inspiration and comfort since I was a lad.  The UB elevates and amplifies this message in countless places and ways to open our minds to this fact of universe reality…the endless stream of love that saturates the universes of time and space.

This is why I am baffled by any student of the Papers who remains skeptical of our safe keeping in this friendly universe or fears for our planet’s destiny or the absolute fairness inherent in the applications of mercy and judgement.  For mercy is endless, or nearly so, and judgement is but a function of personal free will and conscious rejection of reality….love and mercy must be rejected.  Forgiveness is not extended, it exists universally as a function of personal repentance, simply that personal desire to find God and become more and more like Him.

These parables illuminate that great love, endless patience, extended mercy, and the persistent pursuit of all who are ‘lost’ or mired and confused and anxious by their ignorance of reality itself.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Fortunately, parables are intended to have different meanings for every individual, depending on their current spiritual capacity to understand. As this capacity grows, so will understanding.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Fortunately, parables are intended to have different meanings for every individual, depending on their current spiritual capacity to understand. As this capacity grows, so will understanding.

While this has been true for some 2000 years, we now have an epochal revelation to be far more specific as to the meanings within and intended by the Parables of the Master.  They were intended to both illuminate most and baffle/frustrate others.  But I think one of the principal reasons known to the Master for the use of parables was the actual scriptural outcome of their resonance and attraction to those who endlessly repeated them in the oral tradition for generations prior to their written record.

The public words of the Master are almost uncannily a matter of the Christian tradition and the primary, if not sole, historical record of the Gospel OF Jesus, preserved and yet made alive to every mind…and confirmed and restated to every generation.  The power of these parables is undeniable.

But the meanings are known now to a far greater degree, regardless of belief or opinion.  Perhaps there is a parable that is not explained in the Papers?  I don’t readily recall such right now…but an interesting reference point for further study and research!

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is why I am baffled by any student of the Papers who remains skeptical of our safe keeping in this friendly universe or fears for our planet’s destiny or the absolute fairness inherent in the applications of mercy and judgement. For mercy is endless, or nearly so, and judgement is but a function of personal free will and conscious rejection of reality….love and mercy must be rejected. Forgiveness is not extended, it exists universally as a function of personal repentance, simply that personal desire to find God and become more and more like Him.

I am having difficulty understanding your true meaning as stated above, Bradly?  Forgiveness, is the acceptance of love and mercy, by the sinner who repents of their transgressions and continues to use their free will to sine no more.  Knowing that one is a sinner, without presenting a personal repentance of one’s sins to those who they sinned against, will not have a chance to be forgiven by the victims who were the receivers of the sins.  Rejecting mercy, is the rejecting of repentance by the wrongdoer, which implies the conscious rejection of the reality of wrongdoing and the action and choosing to sin no more.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 317 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.