The Master's Parables

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Master's Parables

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Certainly, God is no respecter of persons.  All of his sons get the same gifts as long as they are willing to serve (work) in his kingdom.  Even faith, the worker’s ticket into the kingdom, is a gift from God.

Can anyone else relate this story to pride and humility?

So, you’re saying that those who balked at the idea of part-time workers being paid the same as full-time workers are proud?  Aren’t they just like the brother in the prodigal son parable?  And yes, like the apostles competing for recognition? Aren’t they all complaining about not getting preferential treatment because of their loyalty and hard work?

I’m not sure that’s pride.  I think it can be referred to affectionately as stupidity.  It’s a lack of understanding of how the universe works, a maladaptive sense of fairness and an animalistic urge for competitiveness.  I think it’s erroneous thinking and potentially evil, but only because of its immaturity.

I think pride has more to do with thinking you’re someone special and deserve preferential treatment because you have more value than any other person.  (Read into that what you like.)  I think the parables are about people who think their loyalty and work is more valuable, not necessarily they, themselves.  I think it grows from that old idea that good deeds make the man, that you can buy your salvation by currying favor with the boss. Jesus had a hard time rectifying that myth.

150.5.5  In summing up his final statement, Jesus said: “You cannot buy salvation; you cannot earn righteousness. Salvation is the gift of God, and righteousness is the natural fruit of the spirit-born life of sonship in the kingdom. You are not to be saved because you live a righteous life; rather is it that you live a righteous life because you have already been saved, have recognized sonship as the gift of God and service in the kingdom as the supreme delight of life on earth. When men believe this gospel, which is a revelation of the goodness of God, they will be led to voluntary repentance of all known sin. Realization of sonship is incompatible with the desire to sin. Kingdom believers hunger for righteousness and thirst for divine perfection.”

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Bonita!

I agree that pride and humility may be misguided interpretations on my part.  “Stupidity” indeed…”affectionately” though! Hahaha…

Perhaps ‘entitlement’ is a better way to think of the disgruntled workers?  There is a perceived unfairness on the part of the earlier workers, despite the fact that they received all that was promised and due….they are now owed more or the part timers less for ‘fair’ payment for the work performed.

I appreciate your perspective Bonita.  Still pondering in my consideration of the meaning.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Fairness is an interesting topic in and of itself.  Fairness is a relative term and it’s tied to mercy and justice.  I don’t think humans quite grasp the true meaning of fairness. I don’t think you can really appreciate it without having an expanded viewpoint . . . that fatherly love viewpoint explained by Jesus.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Right??!!  Fairness depends upon one’s perspective.  The parable of the prodigal son, as you have already pointed out, contains a similar quandary on the same issue.  We are taught that a loving Father will always respond to both the needs of and the pleas from his child but that those responses may not be appreciated at all by the one in need or making the plea.  A father must teach as well as protect and provide for.  One such method is allowing the consequences of error to be ‘discovered’ and dealt with by the one who errors.

The immature child has a very distorted version of ‘fairness’.  Indeed, we are told this was one of Judas’ biggest problems – a loose and distorted sense of fairness.  I wonder too if Lucifer’s problems also sprang from a feeling of unfairness?  The following link is to about 100 quotes on “fairness OR fair”:  problem Houston….the page link is not posting.  I’ll have to post the search results from the Foundation I guess (pity…I prefer the sequential results here better….alas so try your own search here for those results)

http://www.urantia.org/search/book_search/fair%20OR%20fairness

I thought there was a quote about whether a loving parent would give their child a serpent because the child wanted it….but cannot find such text….yet.

Thanks for the navigation and orientation regarding this parable Bonita!!  Now that I recall, I once knew someone who was filled with dissatisfaction and anger in their 50’s because they did not get the pony they asked for prior to their 6th birthday.  Just could not let that go to the degree that it totally distorted their perspective until the day they died.  So sad.

Evidently, fairness requires an experiential maturity driven by the higher forms of love to even begin to understand what it is!  One would think one’s own paternal experience might deliver such….but that is not the case at all…or not here and not now.  But I can see that paternity provides many opportunities to grasp these higher lessons!

174:1.2 (1898.2) After a short silence Jesus looked significantly at all four and answered: “My brethren, you err in your opinions because you do not comprehend the nature of those intimate and loving relations between the creature and the Creator, between man and God. You fail to grasp that understanding sympathy which the wise parent entertains for his immature and sometimes erring child. It is indeed doubtful whether intelligent and affectionate parents are ever called upon to forgive an average and normal child. Understanding relationships associated with attitudes of love effectively prevent all those estrangements which later necessitate the readjustment of repentance by the child with forgiveness by the parent.

174:1.3 (1898.3) “A part of every father lives in the child. The father enjoys priority and superiority of understanding in all matters connected with the child-parent relationship. The parent is able to view the immaturity of the child in the light of the more advanced parental maturity, the riper experience of the older partner. With the earthly child and the heavenly Father, the divine parent possesses infinity and divinity of sympathy and capacity for loving understanding. Divine forgiveness is inevitable; it is inherent and inalienable in God’s infinite understanding, in his perfect knowledge of all that concerns the mistaken judgment and erroneous choosing of the child. Divine justice is so eternally fair that it unfailingly embodies understanding mercy.

2:4.4 (38.4) Mercy is the natural and inevitable offspring of goodness and love. The good nature of a loving Father could not possibly withhold the wise ministry of mercy to each member of every group of his universe children. Eternal justice and divine mercy together constitute what in human experience would be called fairness.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thanks for the navigation and orientation regarding this parable Bonita!!  Now that I recall, I once knew someone who was filled with dissatisfaction and anger in their 50’s because they did not get the pony they asked for prior to their 6th birthday.  Just could not let that go to the degree that it totally distorted their perspective until the day they died.  So sad.

To this day my ex-husband refuses to believe in God because he never got the go-cart he prayed for when he was 6 years old.  Talk about a fixation!

Gene
    Participant

I believe some parents cause unreal expectations and distortations of fairness with their babies as the child has some sort of teat pit in its mouth every time it cries, and having it’s every discomfort (not need) immediately satisfied, never given the chance to deal with discomfort.

also I believe the idea of fairness has been distorted these days into some sort of perverted idea of equality and we should all know that equality is non existent anywhere in the universe that I know of.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

also I believe the idea of fairness has been distorted these days into some sort of perverted idea of equality and we should all know that equality is non existent anywhere in the universe that I know of.

Well, at least we all have equal standing in the eyes of our Maker.  But I agree, the modern concept of equality is corrupt . . . as is fairness and justice.  But these things evolve . . .  with time . . . lots of time.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

The next parable introduces us to several issues related to that transition required of us, described as ‘transferring the seat of our identity’.  While we are taught to thusly spiritize and spiritualize our mind, soul, and life, ever incorporating more and more of the spirit within while living in a material world and life, we cannot abandon the material life but must learn to balance and harmonize the living of one, unified life experience.  This presents challenges and confusions and uncertainties to resolve as well.  We cannot serve two masters and must be careful in that and who we cherish and desire and pursue!!  Materialism and self importance are key elements to the parables below.

The issue of wealth is one that Jesus dealt with in many ways and on many occasions.  Below is the parable of the foolish rich man.  Below that is an old, old parable presented by Peter to a group of scholars on the same issue but in a different way.  Interestingly that story ties into the signs, wonders, and miracles issues surrounding the feeding of the 5000 (or so I think), and how true faith itself is not dependent upon such wonders and that such wonders do not deliver lasting change or loyalty to the Spirit within.

Sorry if I am garbling this…but I think each parable represents another view or angle on similar issues and lessons by different directions of thought and discernment.  I begin with some quotes about the impossibility of “serving two masters”:

163:3.1 (1803.3) By the time Jesus had finished talking with Matadormus, Peter and a number of the apostles had gathered about him, and as the rich young man was departing, Jesus turned around to face the apostles and said: “You see how difficult it is for those who have riches to enter fully into the kingdom of God! Spiritual worship cannot be shared with material devotions; no man can serve two masters. You have a saying that it is ‘easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for the heathen to inherit eternal life.’ And I declare that it is as easy for this camel to go through the needle’s eye as for these self-satisfied rich ones to enter the kingdom of heaven.”

163:3.2 (1803.4) When Peter and the apostles heard these words, they were astonished exceedingly, so much so that Peter said: “Who then, Lord, can be saved? Shall all who have riches be kept out of the kingdom?” And Jesus replied: “No, Peter, but all who put their trust in riches shall hardly enter into the spiritual life that leads to eternal progress. But even then, much which is impossible to man is not beyond the reach of the Father in heaven; rather should we recognize that with God all things are possible.”

4. Dividing the Inheritance

165:4.1 (1821.1) As the apostles baptized believers, the Master talked with those who tarried. And a certain young man said to him: “Master, my father died leaving much property to me and my brother, but my brother refuses to give me that which is my own. Will you, then, bid my brother divide this inheritance with me?” Jesus was mildly indignant that this material-minded youth should bring up for discussion such a question of business; but he proceeded to use the occasion for the impartation of further instruction. Said Jesus: “Man, who made me a divider over you? Where did you get the idea that I give attention to the material affairs of this world?” And then, turning to all who were about him, he said: “Take heed and keep yourselves free from covetousness; a man’s life consists not in the abundance of the things which he may possess. Happiness comes not from the power of wealth, and joy springs not from riches. Wealth, in itself, is not a curse, but the love of riches many times leads to such devotion to the things of this world that the soul becomes blinded to the beautiful attractions of the spiritual realities of the kingdom of God on earth and to the joys of eternal life in heaven.

165:4.2 (1821.2) “Let me tell you a story of a certain rich man whose ground brought forth plentifully; and when he had become very rich, he began to reason with himself, saying: ‘What shall I do with all my riches? I now have so much that I have no place to store my wealth.’ And when he had meditated on his problem, he said: ‘This I will do; I will pull down my barns and build greater ones, and thus will I have abundant room in which to store my fruits and my goods. Then can I say to my soul, soul, you have much wealth laid up for many years; take now your ease; eat, drink, and be merry, for you are rich and increased in goods.’

165:4.3 (1821.3) “But this rich man was also foolish. In providing for the material requirements of his mind and body, he had failed to lay up treasures in heaven for the satisfaction of the spirit and for the salvation of the soul. And even then he was not to enjoy the pleasure of consuming his hoarded wealth, for that very night was his soul required of him. That night there came the brigands who broke into his house to kill him, and after they had plundered his barns, they burned that which remained. And for the property which escaped the robbers his heirs fell to fighting among themselves. This man laid up treasures for himself on earth, but he was not rich toward God.”

The Master speaks:

169:2.7 (1854.3) “And again I assert that no man can serve two masters; either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will hold to one while he despises the other. You cannot serve God and mammon.”

169:2.8 (1854.4) When the Pharisees who were present heard this, they began to sneer and scoff since they were much given to the acquirement of riches. These unfriendly hearers sought to engage Jesus in unprofitable argumentation, but he refused to debate with his enemies. When the Pharisees fell to wrangling among themselves, their loud speaking attracted large numbers of the multitude encamped thereabouts; and when they began to dispute with each other, Jesus withdrew, going to his tent for the night.

Peter tells a cautionary tale:

3. The Rich Man and the Beggar

169:3.1 (1854.5) When the meeting became too noisy, Simon Peter, standing up, took charge, saying: “Men and brethren, it is not seemly thus to dispute among yourselves. The Master has spoken, and you do well to ponder his words. And this is no new doctrine which he proclaimed to you. Have you not also heard the allegory of the Nazarites concerning the rich man and the beggar? Some of us heard John the Baptist thunder this parable of warning to those who love riches and covet dishonest wealth. And while this olden parable is not according to the gospel we preach, you would all do well to heed its lessons until such a time as you comprehend the new light of the kingdom of heaven. The story as John told it was like this:

169:3.2 (1854.6) “There was a certain rich man named Dives, who, being clothed in purple and fine linen, lived in mirth and splendor every day. And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, who was laid at this rich man’s gate, covered with sores and desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man’s table; yes, even the dogs came and licked his sores. And it came to pass that the beggar died and was carried away by the angels to rest in Abraham’s bosom. And then, presently, this rich man also died and was buried with great pomp and regal splendor. When the rich man departed from this world, he waked up in Hades, and finding himself in torment, he lifted up his eyes and beheld Abraham afar off and Lazarus in his bosom. And then Dives cried aloud: ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me and send over Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water to cool my tongue, for I am in great anguish because of my punishment.’ And then Abraham replied: ‘My son, you should remember that in your lifetime you enjoyed the good things while Lazarus in like manner suffered the evil. But now all this is changed, seeing that Lazarus is comforted while you are tormented. And besides, between us and you there is a great gulf so that we cannot go to you, neither can you come over to us.’ Then said Dives to Abraham: ‘I pray you send Lazarus back to my father’s house, inasmuch as I have five brothers, that he may so testify as to prevent my brothers from coming to this place of torment.’ But Abraham said: ‘My son, they have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.’ And then answered Dives: ‘No, No, Father Abraham! but if one go to them from the dead, they will repent.’ And then said Abraham: ‘If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded even if one were to rise from the dead.’” *

169:3.3 (1855.1) After Peter had recited this ancient parable of the Nazarite brotherhood, and since the crowd had quieted down, Andrew arose and dismissed them for the night. Although both the apostles and his disciples frequently asked Jesus questions about the parable of Dives and Lazarus, he never consented to make comment thereon.

Me here:  Just to be clear, anyone at anytime is welcome to go back to any parable already posted and discussed for additional consideration or may post any parable not yet posted for our study and consideration.  It is my hope to keep working through the parables one by one but as I said earlier….these teachings are very intertwined and do require that we integrate these many perspectives on these important teachings.  Please feel free to go where you may wish and as you wish to do so.  Thank you.

;-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

163:3.2 (1803.4) When Peter and the apostles heard these words, they were astonished exceedingly, so much so that Peter said: “Who then, Lord, can be saved? Shall all who have riches be kept out of the kingdom?” And Jesus replied: “No, Peter, but all who put their trust in riches shall hardly enter into the spiritual life that leads to eternal progress. But even then, much which is impossible to man is not beyond the reach of the Father in heaven; rather should we recognize that with God all things are possible.”

Hi Bradly.  In the above quote you highlighted the sentence that comes before the one I highlighted.  I think the one I highlighted is important because it qualifies the human problem of trust.  As the quote below explains, we humans have no choice but to serve two masters while living this life.  What Jesus was saying is that we need to learn to trust our spiritual master instead of the material world.  It’s easy for humans to trust the material world because they can touch and feel it with their human senses.  But our spiritual master requires a different set of senses and many fail or falter while learning to trust them. In the above quote he tells us to make that reach of faith-trust because with God all things are possible.

109:5.4 The great problem of life is the adjustment of the ancestral tendencies of living to the demands of the spiritual urges initiated by the divine presence of the Mystery Monitor. While in the universe and superuniverse careers no man can serve two masters, in the life you now live on Urantia every man must perforce serve two masters. He must become adept in the art of a continuous human temporal compromise while he yields spiritual allegiance to but one master; and this is why so many falter and fail, grow weary and succumb to the stress of the evolutionary struggle.

I think the goal of the ascension plan is to learn to fully trust that God can get the job done, even if we can’t.  I don’t think it’s as severe as hating one master and loving the other.  I think it has more to do with trust.  Which master do I want to trust?  In every struggle, every conflict, I think we triumph when we accept that there is someone greater than ourselves whom we can trust show us the best way through the problem.  It’s like my favorite quote:

p291:3 26:5.3 That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing—absolutely nothing—is impossible.”

And then there’s my second favorite quote:

4:4.9 The consciousness of a victorious human life on earth is born of that creature faith which dares to challenge each recurring episode of existence when confronted with the awful spectacle of human limitations, by the unfailing declaration: Even if I cannot do this, there lives in me one who can and will do it, a part of the Father-Absolute of the universe of universes. And that is “the victory which overcomes the world, even your faith.”

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Agree…..Bonita says above:  “But our spiritual master requires a different set of senses and many fail or falter while learning to trust them. In the above quote he tells us to make that reach of faith-trust because with God all things are possible.”

We cannot truly and should not forsake the material world, life, and demands.  We are taught that the faith child should be even more successful at managing the material demands of life when done so with both the mind and the spirit within.

There seems to be a hierarchy inherent in our situation:  the material demands and pleasures of the body (some stop here in mere self indulgence); the ability of mind to choose motive, intention, priority, and act in ways that require forsaking the immediacy of physical demands and pleasures for greater rewards by choosing to defer pleasure and comfort in favor of future benefits to our situation and circumstances (a more mature and thoughtful process which brings material success to one degree or another but may also be employed by the ruthless and selfish materialist); and the realization/integration/application of ideals and wisdom and ethics (the GR) where personal good is served by the greater good (a more noble citizen arises by the power of mind over matter); and then the spirit led response and the love incited choices where self is best served in self-forgetting and service to others (attachment of the branch to the vine); which leads to eventual soul-domination of our reality and choices – the integration of experience and wisdom by soul growth (and the bounty of fruit grows ever proportionately to our own growth of soul).

Each level of reality-response should result in a more integrated person/self with better and better outcomes (at all levels of experience) delivered AS the fruit of the spirit vine….wherein the Master of the Spirit will integrate all levels of reality into our experience of reality and our expressions of truth, beauty, and goodness found thusly.

The “better and better outcomes” has far more to do with the spiritual fruit than the material rewards….elimination of anxiety, fear, and doubt while experiencing peace of mind, contentment, trust, patience, joy, and confidence in the future outcomes of every choice based on an ever increasing faith.  One may have wealth without the fruits and one may have the fruits with or without material wealth and success.  But one will not find true peace and personal happiness without the fruits of the spirit.

I agree the Master is not teaching us we are to choose between the material realities and the spiritual realities.  He is telling us that the Spirit alone can resolve any and all conflicts between the two…..who and what do we love and desire?  We cannot put our trust in material wealth and its pursuit and also be faithful to the source of everything material…or so I understand.   The impossibility of serving two masters and the choosing of one does not make the other unreal or irrelevant.  A materialist may deny reality but it is no less real.  Those who choose the reality of Spirit, love, and faith as their motive for living serve the Master within and now see the material life and world by a whole new perspective to integrate all that into a personal experience that is then expressed by our sincerity and our daily choices.

The master of materialism and self importance is designed to disappoint by the creators, rulers, and ministers of time and space.  The master of the Spirit will never disappoint but will deliver the fruits enjoyed by the one who attaches to the vine but also enjoyed by those we serve thusly.   The material realities and life likewise benefit by this new formula for living that the Gospel of Jesus intended.  To serve the first is to miss out on the second and more important, but to serve the second is to more fully enjoy, embrace, and succeed in the first (material) AND the second (spirit).  While nothing is impossible in liaison with God, truly nothing worthwhile is possible without God at its center.

:-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Fine words Bradly.  I agree.  There’s no question that the conflict we experience between the two masters has a purpose.  I’m wondering if all the stress recently put on conflict resolution as a means of obtaining peace is being properly taught to our youth.  There is no conflict-free life unless you live entirely on the animal level or entirely as a spirit being.   Everything in between, which we are destined to traverse, is rife with conflict . . . as it should be.

159:3.7 Forewarn all believers regarding the fringe of conflict which must be traversed by all who pass from the life as it is lived in the flesh to the higher life as it is lived in the spirit. To those who live quite wholly within either realm, there is little conflict or confusion, but all are doomed to experience more or less uncertainty during the times of transition between the two levels of living. In entering the kingdom, you cannot escape its responsibilities or avoid its obligations, but remember: The gospel yoke is easy and the burden of truth is light.

Safe-spaces, cocoa and crayons aren’t going to make very strong universe citizens, that’s for sure.  Neither is believing in unicorns and rainbows with pots of gold.  I live by this motto: Conflict in the mind is potentially constructive, but conflict in the soul is potentially destructive.  Learning the difference makes a difference.  (Now I’m competing with Van/nodisms . . . oy vey!)

155:5.11 The religion of the spirit means effort, struggle, conflict, faith, determination, love, loyalty, and progress.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Bonita!

Found this in a different topical study/read and wonder if it might also be true of the individual over one mortal life as well as the planetary progress over the epochs described?

118:10.12 (1306.1) In the beginnings on an evolutionary world the natural occurrences of the material order and the personal desires of human beings often appear to be antagonistic. Much that takes place on an evolving world is rather hard for mortal man to understand — natural law is so often apparently cruel, heartless, and indifferent to all that is true, beautiful, and good in human comprehension. But as humanity progresses in planetary development, we observe that this viewpoint is modified by the following factors:

118:10.13 (1306.2) 1. Man’s augmenting vision — his increased understanding of the world in which he lives; his enlarging capacity for the comprehension of the material facts of time, the meaningful ideas of thought, and the valuable ideals of spiritual insight. As long as men measure only by the yardstick of the things of a physical nature, they can never hope to find unity in time and space.

118:10.14 (1306.3) 2. Man’s increasing control — the gradual accumulation of the knowledge of the laws of the material world, the purposes of spiritual existence, and the possibilities of the philosophic co-ordination of these two realities. Man, the savage, was helpless before the onslaughts of natural forces, was slavish before the cruel mastery of his own inner fears. Semicivilized man is beginning to unlock the storehouse of the secrets of the natural realms, and his science is slowly but effectively destroying his superstitions while at the same time providing a new and enlarged factual basis for the comprehension of the meanings of philosophy and the values of true spiritual experience. Man, the civilized, will someday achieve relative mastery of the physical forces of his planet; the love of God in his heart will be effectively outpoured as love for his fellow men, while the values of human existence will be nearing the limits of mortal capacity.

118:10.15 (1306.4) 3. Man’s universe integration — the increase of human insight plus the increase of human experiential achievement brings him into closer harmony with the unifying presences of Supremacy — Paradise Trinity and Supreme Being. And this is what establishes the sovereignty of the Supreme on the worlds long settled in light and life. Such advanced planets are indeed poems of harmony, pictures of the beauty of achieved goodness attained through the pursuit of cosmic truth. And if such things can happen to a planet, then even greater things can happen to a system and the larger units of the grand universe as they too achieve a settledness indicating the exhaustion of the potentials for finite growth.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

. . . wonder if it might also be true of the individual over one mortal life as well as the planetary progress over the epochs described?

Probably.  Certainly in regards to augmenting vision and self control.  And universe integration is also part of the higher psychic circles.  They say from the third up there is increasing awareness of universe citizenship, and I assume that is due to an element of integration of reality.  They do say that the evolution of the soul is not unlike the evolution of the Supreme.

110:6.16 A seventh or sixth circler can be almost as truly God-knowing—sonship conscious—as a second or first circler, but such lower circle beings are far less conscious of experiential relation to the Supreme Being, universe citizenship.

110:6.16   Perhaps these psychic circles of mortal progression would be better denominated cosmic levels — actual meaning grasps and value realizations of progressive approach to the morontia consciousness of initial relationship of the evolutionary soul with the emerging Supreme Being.

117:3.10   The Supreme Being evolves by virtue of his liaison with the Paradise Trinity and in consequence of the divinity successes of the creator and administrator children of that Trinity. Man’s immortal soul evolves its own eternal destiny by association with the divine presence of the Paradise Father and in accordance with the personality decisions of the human mind. What the Trinity is to God the Supreme, the Adjuster is to evolving man.

117:5.11   Even the experience of man and Adjuster must find echo in the divinity of God the Supreme, for, as the Adjusters experience, they are like the Supreme, and the evolving soul of mortal man is created out of the pre-existent possibility for such experience within the Supreme.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I think the shortest parable in the UB compliments the issue of ‘serving two masters’ and is something we all need to reflect on.  While we are born on Urantia and originate and activate our eternal destiny potential here, the fact is we’re not here very long.  Our destiny is one of travel from world to world and eventually to the outer levels.  Urantia is not our home but for the briefest of times.  This world is our launch pad!!

This planet was the center of the universe until recently and such a perspective made humanity and our world far too important in its apparent isolation as the only inhabited world and made God far too small as lord over this single world.  Science has progressed far enough for the Revelation to come along and blow out the walls of possibilities and reality.  I think Jesus tried and tried to get people to expand their horizons of perspective, both within and without, making God closer and his creation larger in the mind of believers.

156:2.1 (1735.5) In entering Sidon, Jesus and his associates passed over a bridge, the first one many of them had ever seen. As they walked over this bridge, Jesus, among other things, said: “This world is only a bridge; you may pass over it, but you should not think to build a dwelling place upon it.”

;-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

. . . . but you should not think to build a dwelling place upon it.”

Kinda destroys the whole idea of reincarnation, don’t it?

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 317 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.