After reading Part IV, now what?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions After reading Part IV, now what?

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 27)
  • Auteur
    Mark Kurtz
    Participant

A thorough reading of The Urantia Book and a good understanding of Jesus’ details in Part IV may inspire a person to ask, ‘Now what?’

It seems to me a valuable and utmost important question for each person is: ‘What does it truly mean for me to follow Jesus?’ Carefully considering his modeling of divine defined ideal behavior and valuing  each other, the question begs the highest honesty and quality sincerity. Each person is relegated to individual destiny determination. We cannot depend on anyone to decide our final status here or for the next life stages.

Two supporting questions are appropriate for deciding how to follow Jesus: 1) What must I give up to truly follow Jesus? A complete survey of habits, beliefs, priorities and preferences, examination for any prejudices, and likely more while being honest is right.  2) What should I add to my life to truly follow Jesus? To move into his divine righteous model is personal. Let his light shine in our lives is the divine plan for each person.

The « test » is ongoing!

bobwhite
    bobwhite
    Participant

196:2.3 (2092.1) Mark, Matthew, and Luke retain something of the picture of the human Jesus as he engaged in the superb struggle to ascertain the divine will and to do that will. John presents a picture of the triumphant Jesus as he walked on earth in the full consciousness of divinity. The great mistake that has been made by those who have studied the Master’s life is that some have conceived of him as entirely human, while others have thought of him as only divine.

This Urantia Book is the fifth epochal revelation of Gods purpose for creation through Jesus of Nazareth, our Creator God Michael, and he is doing the Heavenly Fathers will by creating inhabitable worlds to bring into being humans suitable for eternal development and advancement all the way to Paradice, to the bosom of the Father, the final destination, to await further directions.

The Urantia Book contains the Gospel of Jesus which is essentially to promote the teaching of the Fatherhood of God, with the resulting Brotherhood of Man throughout the whole world to all of humanity. This will necessitate the putting on of spiritual armor to courageously follow the Spirit of Truth. This Spirit of Truth is Jesus’ spirit given to us after Pentecost. This armor IS the light that is to shine in our lives for others to see, not as a dazzling blinding brilliance of selfish ego, but as a guiding light to show the pathway for others to follow to find the path to righteousness, to find God.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

My opinion is that Part IV is an expanded reiteration of the 4th Epochal Revelation (which is the Universal Jesusonian Gospel of Nebadon and the entirety of evolutionary time and space), and detailed narrative of Jesus’ life and ministry.

Parts I to III are truly the 5th Epochal Revelation, providing a profound perspective of universe realities never before presented to our world to anyone ever before.

Such a perspective of reality should alter our personal perception and understanding and knowledge and motives and intentions and priorities of each student and inspire all for the eternal adventures ahead!

bobwhite
    bobwhite
    Participant

Mark Kurtz, greetings. Your question  » What must I give up to truly follow Jesus? » The first followers of the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus in the first century AD were willing to give up their lives if necessary, in the furtherance of his gospel to be spread throughout the world. What would you be willing to give up to help spread these very same Jesus’ teachings today?

The second part of that question would be to give up the parts of your life that would make you unworthy to be a follower of Jesus. How would you make yourself presentable before God so that He would say to you « Follow me »?

Don’t forget that a part of the Spirit within you is of the Father, and the second part is of the Son and if you have accepted His guidance then the Spirit of Truth is within you, and together with the Holy spirit also within saying to you « This is the way, follow me ».

The truly Holy will not dwell in evil temples, so as your body is the living temple of your spirit, and your spirit is of God, then making it a suitable living space would seem to be the thing to do to honorably host your Creator.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

1) What must I give up to truly follow Jesus?. . . .2) What should I add to my life to truly follow Jesus?

Old Solomon said get widsom. Jesus said this:

131:2.11 [Part IV]  « Love your neighbor as yourself; bear a grudge against no man. Whatsoever you hate do to no man. Love your brother, for the Lord has said:’I will love my children freely. The path of the just is as a shining light which shines more and more until the perfect day. They who are wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament and they who turn many to righteousness as the stars forever and ever. Let the wicked forsake his evil way and the unrighteous man his rebellious thoughts. Says the Lord:’Let them return to me, and I will have mercy on them; I will abundantly pardon.
    140:4.5 [Part IV]
    While light dispels darkness, it can also be so « blinding » as to confuse and frustrate. We are admonished to let our light so shine that our fellows will be guided into new and godly paths of enhanced living. Our light should so shine as not to attract attention to self. Even one’s vocation can be utilized as an effective « reflector » for the dissemination of this light of life.
    147:8.4 [Part IV]   » ‘Then shall your light break forth as the morning while your health springs forth speedily. Your righteousness shall go before you while the glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. Then will you call upon the Lord, and he shall answer; you will cry out, and he shall say — Here am I. And all this he will do if you refrain from oppression, condemnation, and vanity. The Father rather desires that you draw out your heart to the hungry, and that you minister to the afflicted souls; then shall your light shine in obscurity, and even your darkness shall be as the noonday. Then shall the Lord guide you continually, satisfying your soul and renewing your strength. You shall become like a watered garden, like a spring whose waters fail not. And they who do these things shall restore the wasted glories; they shall raise up the foundations of many generations; they shall be called the rebuilders of broken walls, the restorers of safe paths in which to dwell. »
    I don’t think Jesus made any provision for self-examination. Self-understanding, yes.
    110:3.2 [Part III]  The success of your Adjuster in the enterprise of piloting you through the mortal life and bringing about your survival depends not so much on the theories of your beliefs as upon your decisions, determinations, and steadfast faith. All these movements of personality growth become powerful influences aiding in your advancement because they help you to co-operate with the Adjuster; they assist you in ceasing to resist. Thought Adjusters succeed or apparently fail in their terrestrial undertakings just in so far as mortals succeed or fail to co-operate with the scheme whereby they are to be advanced along the ascending path of perfection attainment. The secret of survival is wrapped up in the supreme human desire to be Godlike and in the associated willingness to do and be any and all things which are essential to the final attainment of that overmastering desire.
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Truly, all that must « be given up » are the mind and spirit poisons which interfere with our innate Deity Connections and spiritization.

There are no sacrifices or even repentance required to embrace the Jesusonian Gospel.

The yoke of truth, beauty, and goodness is light.  The Fruits of the Spirit are obvious to all who behold them.

:-)

159:3.3 (1765.5) In bringing men into the kingdom, do not lessen or destroy their self-respect. While overmuch self-respect may destroy proper humility and end in pride, conceit, and arrogance, the loss of self-respect often ends in paralysis of the will. It is the purpose of this gospel to restore self-respect to those who have lost it and to restrain it in those who have it. Make not the mistake of only condemning the wrongs in the lives of your pupils; remember also to accord generous recognition for the most praiseworthy things in their lives. Forget not that I will stop at nothing to restore self-respect to those who have lost it, and who really desire to regain it.

159:3.4 (1765.6)  Take care that you do not wound the self-respect of timid and fearful souls. Do not indulge in sarcasm at the expense of my simple-minded brethren. Be not cynical with my fear-ridden children. Idleness is destructive of self-respect; therefore, admonish your brethren ever to keep busy at their chosen tasks, and put forth every effort to secure work for those who find themselves without employment.

159:3.5 (1766.1) Never be guilty of such unworthy tactics as endeavoring to frighten men and women into the kingdom. A loving father does not frighten his children into yielding obedience to his just requirements.

159:3.6 (1766.2) Sometime the children of the kingdom will realize that strong feelings of emotion are not equivalent to the leadings of the divine spirit. To be strongly and strangely impressed to do something or to go to a certain place, does not necessarily mean that such impulses are the leadings of the indwelling spirit.

159:3.7 (1766.3) Forewarn all believers regarding the fringe of conflict which must be traversed by all who pass from the life as it is lived in the flesh to the higher life as it is lived in the spirit. To those who live quite wholly within either realm, there is little conflict or confusion, but all are doomed to experience more or less uncertainty during the times of transition between the two levels of living. In entering the kingdom, you cannot escape its responsibilities or avoid its obligations, but remember: The gospel yoke is easy and the burden of truth is light.

159:3.8 (1766.4  The world is filled with hungry souls who famish in the very presence of the bread of life; men die searching for the very God who lives within them. Men seek for the treasures of the kingdom with yearning hearts and weary feet when they are all within the immediate grasp of living faith. Faith is to religion what sails are to a ship; it is an addition of power, not an added burden of life. There is but one struggle for those who enter the kingdom, and that is to fight the good fight of faith. The believer has only one battle, and that is against doubt—unbelief.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Very nice responses y’all !!

My initial interest is within these words I posted: « …Jesus’ details in Part IV may inspire a person…. »

Jesus is spiritually attractive to me, to many others and will be to many more people in future generations. The questions imply to the reader to look at Jesus and determine what changes they consider right to follow him. That’s it in entirety! Don’t over think the challenge!

Great to know there are great thinkers on this forum!!!

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Indeed it is thinking that connects our minds and souls to the Spirit within!

As I understand the Papers to teach us, it is not « what » we choose to do or not do that matters.  It is « why » we choose what we do.  Our faith and spiritization, if true and sincere and genuine, will deliver a whole new set of motives, intentions, and priorities based on our philosophy of living and universe reality perspective.

Experiential wisdom will deliver better habits and strategies and tactics over time.

Those mortals who might never hear of, know about, or believe in Jesus will still « follow Jesus » by every act of faith and every act of kindness, generosity, patience, forgiveness, mercy, and loving service to others.

Faith is its own reward and delivers all the Fruits of the Spirit.

(2087.5) 196:0.5 Theology may fix, formulate, define, and dogmatize faith, but in the human life of Jesus faith was personal, living, original, spontaneous, and purely spiritual. This faith was not reverence for tradition nor a mere intellectual belief which he held as a sacred creed, but rather a sublime experience and a profound conviction which securely held him. His faith was so real and all-encompassing that it absolutely swept away any spiritual doubts and effectively destroyed every conflicting desire. Nothing was able to tear him away from the spiritual anchorage of this fervent, sublime, and undaunted faith. Even in the face of apparent defeat or in the throes of disappointment and threatening despair, he calmly stood in the divine presence free from fear and fully conscious of spiritual invincibility. Jesus enjoyed the invigorating assurance of the possession of unflinching faith, and in each of life’s trying situations he unfailingly exhibited an unquestioning loyalty to the Father’s will. And this superb faith was undaunted even by the cruel and crushing threat of an ignominious death.

(2090.4) 196:1.3 To “follow Jesus” means to personally share his religious faith and to enter into the spirit of the Master’s life of unselfish service for man. One of the most important things in human living is to find out what Jesus believed, to discover his ideals, and to strive for the achievement of his exalted life purpose. Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

(2090.5) 196:1.4 The common people heard Jesus gladly, and they will again respond to the presentation of his sincere human life of consecrated religious motivation if such truths shall again be proclaimed to the world. The people heard him gladly because he was one of them, an unpretentious layman; the world’s greatest religious teacher was indeed a layman.

(2091.1) 196:1.5 It should not be the aim of kingdom believers literally to imitate the outward life of Jesus in the flesh but rather to share his faith; to trust God as he trusted God and to believe in men as he believed in men. Jesus never argued about either the fatherhood of God or the brotherhood of men; he was a living illustration of the one and a profound demonstration of the other.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

The Way of Being and Becoming is a highly personalized and individual journey of interaction with the Deity Connections within and with the material realities of circumstance and situation and encounter and relationship.

Specific habits may indeed promote or retard our spiritization and experiential wisdom but it is our reality « response » that defines and measures our progress.  Every pilgrim’s path and journey is unique and the universe celebrates each route taken to Paradise and all benefit thusly, eternally so.

Or so I understand.

196:3.20 (2095.4) Every time man makes a reflective moral choice, he immediately experiences a new divine invasion of his soul. Moral choosing constitutes religion as the motive of inner response to outer conditions. But such a real religion is not a purely subjective experience. It signifies the whole of the subjectivity of the individual engaged in a meaningful and intelligent response to total objectivity—the universe and its Maker.

99:4.3 (1089.11) True religion is a meaningful way of living dynamically face to face with the commonplace realities of everyday life. But if religion is to stimulate individual development of character and augment integration of personality, it must not be standardized. If it is to stimulate evaluation of experience and serve as a value-lure, it must not be stereotyped. If religion is to promote supreme loyalties, it must not be formalized.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Of tadpoles and habits:

100:1.4 (1094.6) Children are permanently impressed only by the loyalties of their adult associates; precept or even example is not lastingly influential. Loyal persons are growing persons, and growth is an impressive and inspiring reality. Live loyally today—grow—and tomorrow will attend to itself. The quickest way for a tadpole to become a frog is to live loyally each moment as a tadpole.

What, exactly, is the Jesusonian Gospel…or the Gospel of Jesus??

Let us be clear….according to Jesus himself, as quoted in the 4 Gospels of the Bible, and according to the Papers we study together here…the Gospel is not about Jesus. At least not according to Jesus or the UB.

The Gospel is defined differently by different sects of Christian believers. The word itself is old English so does not originate in the Greek or Aramic but is an English translation of the Greek « evangelion »… meaning good or welcome news.

An announcement or a proclamation of fact and truth not already known to its audience! Delivered by the Christ, Son of Man and Son of God, to our world 2000 years ago. It is not about Jesus at all. Do not confuse the message with the messenger!

Gospel has come to mean, to some, the story ABOUT Jesus rather than the proclamations OF and BY Jesus. Christians perverted the term to mean the doctrines of the church about redemption and atonement and appeasement and blood sacrifice- a complete falsification and distortion that is neither fact nor truth. It is a lie of the priesthood and the pulpit that is based on paganism and primitive superstitions.

The Jesusonian Gospel did not originate with Jesus either. Jesus did not invent or create or originate the Jesusonian Gospel he proclaimed. That good news of fact and truth originated long before Jesus lived among us and even long before Michael’s creation of Nebadon and even before there was the universes of time and space. The Good News was only news to us locals…it was already well known to all celestials and by trillions of mortals throughout time and creation.

No…the Gospel is not about Jesus. It truly has nothing to do with Jesus or Michael…except  perhaps, as he so exemplifies such a personal and profound faith in this good news!  His faith in the gospel he proclaimed on Urantia is a universal inspiration to all mortals and celestials in Nebadon and beyond.  His unshakable faith in God’s love and goodness and care inspire trillions of beings.

Indeed is this Gospel inclusive of all beings everywhere, great and small, glorious and humble, saint and sinner…true whether known or not known. It is an anouncement of reality itself. It is universal fact and truth.  The universal law of love and inclusion in the family of God’s friendly universe!

And it’s not ABOUT Jesus!!!!!  It’s about so much more and so many more everywhere forevermore.

Here I hope we will study the actual Good News proclaimed by Jesus to our world. And, perhaps, come to appreciate its universal appeal as Jesus proclaimed it and, again according to the Papers, the fact of the Christian distortion and perversions of that universal fact and truth.

Let me be clear that the story ABOUT Jesus is very important and wonderful and the most thrilling illumination of inspiration we can share with one another. The person of Jesus touches hearts, changes minds, transforms worlds, and inspires an entire universe as he leads us in our progressive glory to Light and Life.

His Spirit of Truth illuminates the path of every faith child on our world who responds to our Deity Connections and innate Spirit nature.  The Jesusonian Gospel tells us we are the beloved children of an affectionate God within the family of creation and upon whom suffering and death can lay no lasting claim.

100:1.5 (1094.7) The soil essential for religious growth presupposes a progressive life of self-realization, the co-ordination of natural propensities, the exercise of curiosity and the enjoyment of reasonable adventure, the experiencing of feelings of satisfaction, the functioning of the fear stimulus of attention and awareness, the wonder-lure, and a normal consciousness of smallness, humility. Growth is also predicated on the discovery of selfhood accompanied by self-criticism—conscience, for conscience is really the criticism of oneself by one’s own value-habits, personal ideals.

100:1.6 (1095.1) Religious experience is markedly influenced by physical health, inherited temperament, and social environment. But these temporal conditions do not inhibit inner spiritual progress by a soul dedicated to the doing of the will of the Father in heaven. There are present in all normal mortals certain innate drives toward growth and self-realization which function if they are not specifically inhibited. The certain technique of fostering this constitutive endowment of the potential of spiritual growth is to maintain an attitude of wholehearted devotion to supreme values.

100:1.7 (1095.2) Religion cannot be bestowed, received, loaned, learned, or lost. It is a personal experience which grows proportionally to the growing quest for final values. Cosmic growth thus attends on the accumulation of meanings and the ever-expanding elevation of values. But nobility itself is always an unconscious growth.

100:1.8 (1095.3) Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

;-)

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I think it is profoundly important to understand the UB teachings that it is not our habits which determine the path or the way to Paradise, but rather, it is The Way that determines our habits.

The Tadpole Way is the very Way of Jesus Son of Man.  It is how all mortals become Paradise children of Light and Life.

:good:

The Spirit and the Flesh
    34:7.1 (382.1) The flesh, the inherent nature derived from the animal-origin races, does not naturally bear the fruits of the divine Spirit. When the mortal nature has been upstepped by the addition of the nature of the Material Sons of God, as the Urantia races were in a measure advanced by the bestowal of Adam, then is the way better prepared for the Spirit of Truth to co-operate with the indwelling Adjuster to bring forth the beautiful harvest of the character fruits of the spirit. If you do not reject this spirit, even though eternity may be required to fulfill the commission, “he will guide you into all truth.”

34:7.2 (382.2) Evolutionary mortals inhabiting normal worlds of spiritual progress do not experience the acute conflicts between the spirit and the flesh which characterize the present-day Urantia races. But even on the most ideal planets, pre-Adamic man must put forth positive efforts to ascend from the purely animalistic plane of existence up through successive levels of increasingly intellectual meanings and higher spiritual values.

34:7.3 (382.3) The mortals of a normal world do not experience constant warfare between their physical and spiritual natures. They are confronted with the necessity of climbing up from the animal levels of existence to the higher planes of spiritual living, but this ascent is more like undergoing an educational training when compared with the intense conflicts of Urantia mortals in this realm of the divergent material and spiritual natures.

34:7.4 (382.4) The Urantia peoples are suffering the consequences of a double deprivation of help in this task of progressive planetary spiritual attainment. The Caligastia upheaval precipitated world-wide confusion and robbed all subsequent generations of the moral assistance which a well-ordered society would have provided. But even more disastrous was the Adamic default in that it deprived the races of that superior type of physical nature which would have been more consonant with spiritual aspirations.

34:7.5 (382.5) Urantia mortals are compelled to undergo such marked struggling between the spirit and the flesh because their remote ancestors were not more fully Adamized by the Edenic bestowal. It was the divine plan that the mortal races of Urantia should have had physical natures more naturally spirit responsive.

34:7.6 (382.6) Notwithstanding this double disaster to man’s nature and his environment, present-day mortals would experience less of this apparent warfare between the flesh and the spirit if they would enter the spirit kingdom, wherein the faith sons of God enjoy comparative deliverance from the slave-bondage of the flesh in the enlightened and liberating service of wholehearted devotion to doing the will of the Father in heaven. Jesus showed mankind the new way of mortal living whereby human beings may very largely escape the dire consequences of the Caligastic rebellion and most effectively compensate for the deprivations resulting from the Adamic default. “The spirit of the life of Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of animal living and the temptations of evil and sin.” “This is the victory that overcomes the flesh, even your faith.”

34:7.7 (383.1) Those God-knowing men and women who have been born of the Spirit experience no more conflict with their mortal natures than do the inhabitants of the most normal of worlds, planets which have never been tainted with sin nor touched by rebellion. Faith sons work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires. The normal urges of animal beings and the natural appetites and impulses of the physical nature are not in conflict with even the highest spiritual attainment except in the minds of ignorant, mistaught, or unfortunately overconscientious persons.

34:7.8 (383.2) Having started out on the way of life everlasting, having accepted the assignment and received your orders to advance, do not fear the dangers of human forgetfulness and mortal inconstancy, do not be troubled with doubts of failure or by perplexing confusion, do not falter and question your status and standing, for in every dark hour, at every crossroad in the forward struggle, the Spirit of Truth will always speak, saying, “This is the way.”

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Repeated post…my apologies…. :-)

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

Dear Bradly,

I completely agree with you. Unfortunately it is very difficult today just as it was in the first century to get Jesus’ admirers to understand and accept this fact. Understandable of course, but ultimately the veneration of the messenger rather than the message is a hindrance to the successful proclamation of the gospel of Jesus to a divided world. Alas also, this is just as much a problem within the Urantia movement as it is within Christendom.

Thanks again Bradly for your wise words. :good: :-)

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Julian.  I appreciate your perspective and kind support.

Urantia Book students, and believers in its claims about universe reality, must be very clear about such distinctions.  The religions about Jesus have left a 2000 year legacy of human fear and greed and superstitious primitivism that certainly does not represent the universe reality perspective given to our world by Jesus or in the 5th Epochal Revelation.

The gospel about Jesus is no asset for the Urantia community to give voice to the true Jesusonian Gospel and the universe reality perspective in the Papers.

Will the modern Urantia movement betray and squander the 5th Revelation as the early Christians did the 4th?  Isn’t the 5th include a reiteration and grand expansion of the 4th?  A chance to recover fact and truth?

I am certain of Mark’s agreement too.  It’s a difficult distinction but so critical to get right.

The world will not accept merely another religion about Jesus, like it will come to embrace the Good News of Dalmatia, the Garden, Machiventa Melchizedek, Jesus, and the Urantia Papers (so far).

Good habits and spirituality are not the results of self criticism or self examination or discipline or even example, but are rather the natural fruit of the branch attached to the vine and the vine to the root.

Faith, not example or rule or commandments, delivers salvation and the eternal adventures to come!  Faith overcomes all obstacles and delays to our spiritization, not creeds or doctrines or habits.  Faith leads us forward first.  Then wisdom comes along…inevitably… if more slowly!  Hahaha… ;-)

:good:

94:12.7 (1041.5) All Urantia is waiting for the proclamation of the ennobling message of Michael, unencumbered by the accumulated doctrines and dogmas of nineteen centuries of contact with the religions of evolutionary origin. The hour is striking for presenting to Buddhism, to Christianity, to Hinduism, even to the peoples of all faiths, not the gospel about Jesus, but the living, spiritual reality of the gospel of Jesus.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Dear Bradly, I completely agree with you. Unfortunately it is very difficult today just as it was in the first century to get Jesus’ admirers to understand and accept this fact. Understandable of course, but ultimately the veneration of the messenger rather than the message is a hindrance to the successful proclamation of the gospel of Jesus to a divided world. Alas also, this is just as much a problem within the Urantia movement as it is within Christendom. Thanks again Bradly for your wise words. :good: :-)

Julian – As you say so succinctly above, « the veneration of the messenger…is a hindrance to the successful proclamations of the gospel of Jesus. »

Indeed so…and directly to the point!!  But the dilution and disappointment and distortion potentials now threatens the dissemination and effects of BOTH the 4th AND the 5th Epochal Revelations to our world!

I suppose for some that it is inconceivable that the Gospel of Jesus is not about Jesus… say what?  How do we honor and venerate and celebrate this Creator Son who was born and walked among us as Son of Man and Son of God??

Because we certainly should!

A fine paradox for contemplation….

Honoring our own Divine Creator Son and not destroy his message (and instructions) while doing so.

This may require some thinking… ;-)

Jesus taught in both the Western and the Eastern ways…parables and paradox.  His teachings appeal to every thinking mind seeking truth and guidance who are not blinded and burdened and detoured by their veneration of the teacher.

;-)

100:4.1 (1097.5) Religious living is devoted living, and devoted living is creative living, original and spontaneous. New religious insights arise out of conflicts which initiate the choosing of new and better reaction habits in the place of older and inferior reaction patterns. New meanings only emerge amid conflict; and conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings.

100:4.2 (1097.6) Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving.

100:4.3 (1097.7) But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of love. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

15 sujets de 1 à 15 (sur un total de 27)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.