The Master's Parables

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Master's Parables

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What I want to know is why would I get booted off when I’m supposed to be logged in? Is there a default time set even for those who check the box? If so, I think we should know what it is, or at least get some warning that we’re about to be logged off.

This type of issue may have nothing to do with this site, although it could be more vulnerable to this type of action, if this server is setup as a cloud verses a physical IP location server.  Although, the problem indicated, may be due to the individual computer, or phone being used.  When one is logged in and editing a post, you are using memory which is located on your computer and you may think that you are still connected to the server but may have been cut off or have been recycled to a different band path.  Then once you attempt to submit your posting, it has no where to go, and your browser will attempt to reestablish the connection, and when it does, it may think that it is a new connection, which would require signing in again.  But, depending on what level or type of browser one is using and the security settings set, like removing cookies, or not saving specific type of cookies, or user IDs and passwords, can also produce these types of issues.

There is an issue which explains this type of circumstance which might explain this type of action.  When using a credit-card authorization apparatus, when paying at a grocery store, many stores will use an internet phone system, and the authorization apparatus may be setup on the phone modem side of the apparatus, not using the internet network, and these modems will function with an internet phone line for short bursts but will only work for longer connections when using a dedicated phone line, because the modem requires a carrier signal to be constant.  When internet phone systems are used the internet system will switch bands to find the most efficient route between the two points of the connection, and if this occurs while the modem is connected, it also looses the carrier signal, therefore breaking connection.  That’s why we always recommended that those business owners continue to keep a standard phone line available only for these type of machinery functions, regardless of what the internet phone provider says about being able to use their systems for modem or fax transmissions.  For the most part, most people use a standard type of internet connection, and don’t have these type of issues, where it is their browser connection which may cause this type of problem as well.  I have also experienced that when editing a post and someone else is posting at the same time, or before I am ready to submit, this action will break off the connection as well, and I then may loose all my work.  However, this is most often due to the forum/blog software being use, such as is being used on this forum.

Also, the system which Brad has described is actually forum type software and most often uses “BBcode”, where this blog uses HTML, type of coding which is much less user friendly.  If you look at the top right corner of the edit box, you will see two buttons, names “Visual” and “Text”, which when switched to “text”, will show you what your post looks like with the HTML code applied, and will allow you to make edits, if something doesn’t look correct in the “Visual” mode.

Bottom line, would be to create your posts in a text editor first, then copy it into edit post box, but this will limit those who wish to use other member quotes unless they switch to “text” mode first and copy that text into you text editor, but again you would need to know how to edit the HTML code to make any appropriate changes.  Totally not the best system being used here, but being that this is freeware software, and it is the add-ons which are being paid for, you have paid for what you get in this case.

P.S.: Plus this system has become much to large for the server and software to function properly.  You may have noticed that when you select a specific page box, or the last page box of a subject, only to find that there is actually one more box which can not be seen.  I noticed yesterday that the menu was listing a post and user which was supposed to be the last entry, but when I clicked on that post, that post was not there.  The data base is so large now, it seems that it is presenting phantom data on the screen, which may be coming from a different area of the forum.  I don’t know if performing a re-org on the data base would solve this issue, because I’m not sure of how this system is structured.

An example of what I have just mentioned, has occurred in adding the edit above.  This post is being presented on page “9” but after editing and submitting, it bounces be back to page “8”, or in this last edit, I lost connection completely where I had to select the forum URL again and even though it retained my login, and posted the edit, it decided to kick me off, because the system could not retain the location from where I had edited from.  Not good, indicated a data base problem.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Anyone interested in the next parable?

156:5.2 It was during this same sermon that Jesus made use of his first and only parable having to do with his own trade — carpentry. In the course of his admonition to “Build well the foundations for the growth of a noble character of spiritual endowments,” he said: “In order to yield the fruits of the spirit, you must be born of the spirit. You must be taught by the spirit and be led by the spirit if you would live the spirit-filled life among your fellows. But do not make the mistake of the foolish carpenter who wastes valuable time squaring, measuring, and smoothing his worm-eaten and inwardly rotting timber and then, when he has thus bestowed all of his labor upon the unsound beam, must reject it as unfit to enter into the foundations of the building which he would construct to withstand the assaults of time and storm. Let every man make sure that the intellectual and moral foundations of character are such as will adequately support the superstructure of the enlarging and ennobling spiritual nature, which is thus to transform the mortal mind and then, in association with that re-created mind, is to achieve the evolvement of the soul of immortal destiny. Your spirit nature — the jointly created soul — is a living growth, but the mind and morals of the individual are the soil from which these higher manifestations of human development and divine destiny must spring. The soil of the evolving soul is human and material, but the destiny of this combined creature of mind and spirit is spiritual and divine.”

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I guess there’s no longer any interest in this topic.  I’m surprised no one wants to talk about the points brought up in this parable.  Jesus explains how the mind works in order to evolve a soul.  He makes the following points (in my words):

• The foundation of a religious life requires being born of the spirit.
    • Religious living requires transformation of the mind, a moral mind being taught and led by the spirit.
    • One must not waste time on that which is unfit for religious living, or soul evolution.
    • The foundations of the religious life are intellectual and moral.
    • One does not build a soul, one builds only the moral and intellectual foundation from which it grows.
    • Religious living results in the growth of a noble character.
    • The enlarging and ennobling character is a superstructure.
    • The superstructure of a noble character transforms the mind; it recreates it.
    • The mortal mind associates itself with the recreated mind in order to further evolve (grow) the immortal soul.

The concept of a recreated mind, or a superstructure mind, has always intrigued me.  A recreated mind is one that has been born of the spirit. A recreated mind has not only received the indwelling Spirit of God (Adjuster), but also recognizes the presence of the indwelling Spirit. (34:6.7) And, it is by faith and insight that we are able to recognize this presence. (150:5.2) The supermind is the Holy Spirit, and I believe her presence plays a vital part in spiritual rebirth as well as soul growth.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

“But do not make the mistake of the foolish carpenter who wastes valuable time squaring, measuring, and smoothing his worm-eaten and inwardly rotting timber and then, when he has thus bestowed all of his labor upon the unsound beam, must reject it as unfit to enter into the foundations of the building which he would construct to withstand the assaults of time and storm.”

Is this like taking a sow’s ear and trying to make a silk purse?  Or like trying to grow wheat where there is no soil? Or like putting seeds in storage for such a length of time that when you take them out they will no longer germinate?  Is it OCD-like, materially speaking?  Is it like procrastination: oh-I’ll-do-that-later-because-I’m-busy-now-doing-wood-working-and-a-million-other-things?  And plus I-don’t-wanna-think-too-much-about anything deep like eternal realities.

Maybe because. . .

132:3:3    Man tends to crystallize science, formulate philosophy, and dogmatize truth because he is mentally lazy in adjusting to the progressive struggles of living, while he is also terribly afraid of the unknown. Natural man is slow to initiate changes in his habits of thinking and in his techniques of living.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Would the “unsound beam” include the attempted intellectualization of truth, beauty, and goodness?  Lots of focus these days on self-improvement that does not truly attempt a recognition or integration of spirit and love response but, rather, teaches us the power of mind to change ourselves as an agent of transcendence.  And this is true enough to a degree…but without the addition of spirit to mind, the mind may transcend animal mind or ego gratification and gain some meaningful control over the vehicle of material body, it does not then transcend the material mind itself into its true nature and potential.

Some parables run deeper than others and this one has always perplexed me.  Thanks Bonita for sharing such insights and this discussion of the parables.  I’m with you, just need time to digest and consider.  I appreciate drilling  into these and then connecting concepts within to other related text as reinforcement and reiteration to expand perspective thereby.

I began my truth quest long ago as an exercise in mind dominating body and did learn to see clearer and reorganize priorities appropriately….but was left with a lingering yearning and thirst that my mind could not satisfy by itself.  The recognition of the power of Spirit to, now, lead the mind into far greater appreciation, perspective, and reality alignment began to bring forth fruit that the mind itself cannot grow….but can come to know and know its source and choose by love rather by simple logic and reason.  The many levels of the golden rule come to mind….from the self serving lowest level of moral choosing to an appreciation of the purpose, power, and results of faith and love….none of which comes by way of intellect or not by intellect alone anyway.  The mortal mind is itself an unsound beam, insufficient to hold up the weight of truth.

I probably misunderstand yet.  :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  The mortal mind is itself an unsound beam, insufficient to hold up the weight of truth.

Oh, for sure!  But I would clarify that somewhat.  The mortal mind is not unsound if it responds to the higher adjutants and allows the spirit presences within the soul to interact with it.  A mortal mind resisting the spirits of worship and wisdom is a mortal mind using weak timber.  I believe that the cosmic mind reality reflexes are triggered when utilizing the higher adjutant mind spirits, and thus the gateway to the soul is opened for greater illumination.  The sound wood used to build the foundation of one’s mortal mind would rely on those higher adjutants.  They are the ones who make it possible to enter the seventh psychic circle, and they are the ones who provide the moral soil from which the soul finds impetus for growth. They are the scaffolding of human thought which can withstand the occasional tremors which inevitably come in life.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Here’s the next parable, the Parable of the Good Shepherd:

(1818.5) 165:2.4 “The true shepherd gathers his flock into the fold for the night in times of danger. And when the morning has come, he enters into the fold by the door, and when he calls, the sheep know his voice. Every shepherd who gains entrance to the sheepfold by any other means than by the door is a thief and a robber. The true shepherd enters the fold after the porter has opened the door for him, and his sheep, knowing his voice, come out at his word; and when they that are his are thus brought forth, the true shepherd goes before them; he leads the way and the sheep follow him. His sheep follow him because they know his voice; they will not follow a stranger. They will flee from the stranger because they know not his voice. This multitude which is gathered about us here are like sheep without a shepherd, but when we speak to them, they know the shepherd’s voice, and they follow after us; at least, those who hunger for truth and thirst for righteousness do. Some of you are not of my fold; you know not my voice, and you do not follow me. And because you are false shepherds, the sheep know not your voice and will not follow you.”

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Some text from the same Paper:

(1818.4) 165:2.3 “Tonight, here before me are men who would be willing to die for me and for this gospel of the kingdom, and some of them will so offer themselves in the years to come; and here also are some of you, slaves of tradition, who have followed me down from Jerusalem, and who, with your darkened and deluded leaders, seek to kill the Son of Man. The life which I now live in the flesh shall judge both of you, the true shepherds and the false shepherds. If the false shepherd were blind, he would have no sin, but you claim that you see; you profess to be teachers in Israel; therefore does your sin remain upon you.

(1819.1) 165:2.5 And when Jesus had spoken this parable, no one asked him a question. After a time he began again to speak and went on to discuss the parable:

(1819.2) 165:2.6 “You who would be the undershepherds of my Father’s flocks must not only be worthy leaders, but you must also feed the flock with good food; you are not true shepherds unless you lead your flocks into green pastures and beside still waters.

(1819.3) 165:2.7 “And now, lest some of you too easily comprehend this parable, I will declare that I am both the door to the Father’s sheepfold and at the same time the true shepherd of my Father’s flocks. Every shepherd who seeks to enter the fold without me shall fail, and the sheep will not hear his voice. I, with those who minister with me, am the door. Every soul who enters upon the eternal way by the means I have created and ordained shall be saved and will be able to go on to the attainment of the eternal pastures of Paradise.

This parable comes up again soon, reiterated to the lawyer about the white sepulchers and unrighteous dominion.  Can we assume that the true shepherd is now the Spirit of Truth….and mortals may only serve as undershepherds?  (Servant leaders.)  I wonder if the increasing number of religionists who self declare themselves “unaffiliated” is a function of abandoning “false” shepherds and their voices which cannot be recognized in favor of that voice within which is true?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  This parable comes up again soon, reiterated to the lawyer about the white sepulchers and unrighteous dominion.  Can we assume that the true shepherd is now the Spirit of Truth….and mortals may only serve as undershepherds?  (Servant leaders.)  I wonder if the increasing number of religionists who self declare themselves “unaffiliated” is a function of abandoning “false” shepherds and their voices which cannot be recognized in favor of that voice within which is true?

I suppose that is possible. Some, I think, are only rebelling against the strict mores of the Church and the never ending threat of punishment on some level.

Yesterday I did some research on sheep.  I never quite understood the doorway thing in this parable, except symbolically, of course.  I thought I’d present a few things I discovered which I thought were interesting and useful in understanding the parable.

Did you know that sheep have no homing instinct?  They frequently get lost and couldn’t find their way back to the sheepfold if it was five feet away from them, unless led. They are followers, so if they’re following someone who leads them off a cliff, they all fall off the cliff.  They are incapable of protecting themselves, being easy prey, and are easily spooked, even by running water (they will only drink still water, like in Psalm 23). Likewise, in finding food, they rely completely on being led by their shepherd, so they very quickly learn to recognize his voice.

Back in the time of Jesus there were public sheepfolds where many shepherds would herd their sheep into for the night.  There was only one door to the sheepfold which was managed by a porter who locked it at night and opened it in the morning.  Each shepherd would stand at the door, one at a time, and call his sheep, and only his sheep would emerge from the shelter.  The other sheep, not recognizing the voice, would not emerge.  So, in the parable where Jesus says that anyone who enters the sheepfold other than by the door is a thief, is easy to understand.  The sheep would not go with just anyone, in fact they run from strangers.  To get at the shepherd’s sheep, a thief would have to go into the sheepfold and pick up and remove each sheep amongst a lot of clatter.

I have always liked the image of Jesus as the Good Shepherd.  He goes after his sheep that are lost, he leads them to spiritual nourishment, he shelters them against the darkness of evil, and we, his sheep, learn his voice and willingly follow him, knowing we are well cared for.  If only we would run away when we hear the voice of a false shepherd  . . . but we are curious animals, and God made us that way for a reason.  If we were just stupid sheep, life would be too easy.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Bonita.

(1818.4) 165:2.3 “………If the false shepherd were blind, he would have no sin, but you claim that you see; you profess to be teachers in Israel; therefore does your sin remain upon you.”

Here’s another direct admonishment or distinction between the insincere deceivers and the blind shepherds.  We are advised to be very cognizant of the Master’s audience when reading and quoting his sayings and to be cautious in their applications and meanings.  The following abbreviated text is a direct and stern warning for those who are not blind nor ignorant….false shepherds need to beware:

(1761.2) 158:8.1 “….. But whosoever causes one of these little ones to stumble, it would be better for him if a millstone were hanged about his neck and he were cast into the sea. If the things you do with your hands, or the things you see with your eyes give offense in the progress of the kingdom, sacrifice these cherished idols, for it is better to enter the kingdom minus many of the beloved things of life rather than to cling to these idols and find yourself shut out of the kingdom. But most of all, see that you despise not one of these little ones, for their angels do always behold the faces of the heavenly hosts.”

This is something I try to keep in mind when those filled with misconceptions and preconceptions and misunderstandings of the UB itself, share their perspective and conclusions about the heavens, the pilgrim’s path, etc.  We are ambassadors only and we are to present ourselves as innocent as doves and wise as serpents in ways that do NOT diminish another’s faith.  Teaching or sharing knowledge in such a way requires some wisdom, patience, and tolerance so that seekers, even blind ones, are not chased over the cliff you mentioned Bonita.  And yet, we must also not allow or facilitate the blind to lead the blind or the false shepherds to molest the flock of believers.  That innocent and wise thing has always been the rubiks cube for me.  Thankfully, we are measured more by our efforts in sincerity than our actual wisdom and results!!  But even a sincere sheep thief is still but a thief after all!! Got to take care for those wolves in sheep’s clothing.

;-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  Got to take care for those wolves in sheep’s clothing.

For sure!  I agree with that.  That’s one of the functions of the cosmic mind reality reflexes, I would think.  For myself,  I’ve always found it easy to sense a lack of sincerity after just a brief encounter with a person.  I think it comes from experience, but then again, there are those who are born with a natural insight to human character.  I think the apostle Andrew had that talent (139:3.2).

But what do you do with the wolf in sheep’s clothing once you discover him/her?  How do you handle that situation, especially if you’re the only one who recognizes the ruse?  Unless you’re the shepherd whom the sheep recognize, all the screaming and hollering to get out of harm’s way won’t be heeded. You start looking like a lunatic yourself.  It can be a pretty pickle.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Great posts everyone!  To me the Parable of the Good Shepard is a marvelous reminder about God’s credibility.  Our Master Son of the Father is credible because of God’s ultimate surety and dependability and much more.  Beware of those with no true credibility.  We are to follow the true source of life.  Surely he was aware of the fullness of humanity with all its possible weakness – – distractions, material and false so-called spiritual leaders.

Thank you Bonita, for the research on sheep and the door analogy!

teresa
    Participant

Bradly quoted:

(1819.3) 165:2.7 “And now, lest some of you too easily comprehend this parable, I will declare
    that I am both the door to the Father’s sheepfold and at the same time the true shepherd of my Father’s flocks.
    Every shepherd who seeks to enter the fold without me shall fail, and the sheep will not hear his voice. I,
    with those who minister with me, am the door. Every soul who enters upon the eternal way by the means I have
    created and ordained shall be saved and will be able to go on to the attainment of the eternal pastures of Paradise.”

Jesus, the Spirit of Truth, shepherds/leads the Father’s flocks into the fold/family by Himself, the door/truth.  His
    sheep hear his voice/truth.  If one is not shepherded by the truth, he cannot truly enter the fold. The flocks therein
    will follow the True Shepherd.

The door includes Jesus and those who minister with Him.  Are these ministers Father fragments and worship and
    wisdom mind spirits alone?  Do true sheep having entered the eternal way become the door?  Our bleating resounds the call
    of the Shepherd to follow.  Do we not follow and lead by the same voice/truth?

The wolf in sheep’s clothing is not in the fold and cannot enter to steal.  Instead, he is a false shepherd outside trying to                              call  to the sheep  which are not his and they will not hear his voice.   It’s good to have the true Shepherd to follow.

False shepherds at the door may seek to prevent other sheep from entering the sheepfold since they cannot enter.  This is how                      I perceive some church affiliations; they seek to capture flocks for themselves.  Although, churches may also act as sieves shaking out  those who love the truth and who will follow  the Good Shepherd when they hear His voice.

teresa

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Jesus, the Spirit of Truth, shepherds/leads the Father’s flocks into the fold/family by Himself, the door/truth. His sheep hear his voice/truth. If one is not shepherded by the truth, he cannot truly enter the fold. The flocks therein will follow the True Shepherd.

The door includes Jesus and those who minister with Him. Are these ministers Father fragments and worship and wisdom mind spirits alone? Do true sheep having entered the eternal way become the door? Our bleating resounds the call of the Shepherd to follow. Do we not follow and lead by the same voice/truth?

The wolf in sheep’s clothing is not in the fold and cannot enter to steal. Instead, he is a false shepherd outside trying to call to the sheep which are not his and they will not hear his voice. It’s good to have the true Shepherd to follow.

False shepherds at the door may seek to prevent other sheep from entering the sheepfold since they cannot enter. This is how I perceive some church affiliations; they seek to capture flocks for themselves. Although, churches may also act as sieves shaking out those who love the truth and who will follow the Good Shepherd when they hear His voice.      Teresa

Me here:  Thank you for such insights Teresa.  You have helped me gain much needed perspective on another, if related, topic in the UB – Jesus describes the “kingdom” of heaven 5 ways (at least) and one of those is the “kingdom of believers”….and not a few of his teachings do seem to segregate different “flocks” or groups of mortals that also tend toward those born in the spirit and those not yet so reborn – and further refines the distinctions, for example, of believers, disciples, and apostles – all subgroupings.  We are to treat all others as indwelt by the Father (thought adjuster) but not all so indwelt respond to the Spirit the same way.  While we are not to “judge” others, yet we are to discern and bring judgment (the weighing and measuring sort, not the condemning sort) to bear for our best determination of sincerity, motive, agenda, and truthfulness in others (or so I think) in order to grow in wisdom and response-ability.

Your words about the reality that there are sheep in God’s fold who enter by the door and respond to his voice impresses me and helps better understand that truth….not all who hear the whisper, respond to it and some who do hear can be misled by those who try to ensnare or entrap these “un-folded” ones by cleverness, deception, false authority, or other means.  They do not “serve” the children of God but seek to impose their own agendas upon others – and such ones may be either blind/ignorant or they may be ravenous wolves and charlatans – but either way, they attempt to lead into the pit of blind darkness or into their own ego-feast.

Truth seeking pilgrims of any experience upon the glory trail who learn to “listen” to the voice within, readily and easily can see the wolves in sheep’s clothing but the sincere blind ones can really take us for a ride….for awhile.  Like Bonita, I’ve learned to quickly assess sincerity, motive, and agenda to those who “call out” at the gate/door.   True believers are voluntarily responsive to the spirit within – FIRST – and this should, with experience and wisdom and discernment, guide them faithfully to remain loyal and true to THAT voice.

Thanks again Teresa.  Nice voice.  I hope I understand your meaning as expressed.

:good:

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mark Kurtz wrote: Thank you Bonita, for the research on sheep and the door analogy!
    You’re welcome Mark.  Thanks for reading and commenting.
    teresa wrote:  Do true sheep having entered the eternal way become the door?
    Jesus told us that he is the door, the Way to truth and salvation.  He tells us in 165:2.7 that he is the door along  “. . . with those who minister with me . . .”. In my opinion, that would be the Holy Spirit and the Thought Adjuster, not individual mortals, or sheep.  He is the door of one’s spiritual consciousness, the soul,  where he stands and knocks.  The door is to the consciousness of the higher mind.  Mortals (sheep) are not in the mind; they are not part of one’s consciousness, so true or otherwise, mortal sheep cannot become the door.
    1:4.2 The physical bodies of mortals are “the temples of God.” Notwithstanding that the Sovereign Creator Sons come near the creatures of their inhabited worlds and “draw all men to themselves”; though they “stand at the door” of consciousness “and knock” and delight to come in to all who will “open the doors of their hearts”; although there does exist this intimate personal communion between the Creator Sons and their mortal creatures, nevertheless, mortal men have something from God himself which actually dwells within them; their bodies are the temples thereof.
    159:3.2 Remember that I have said: “Behold, I stand at the door and knock, and if any man will open, I will come in.”
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 317 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.