The Master's Parables

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Master's Parables

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I exhibit no behavior on a Blog. No one does.

Again, incorrect.  Words, spoken or written, have meaning.  They reveal much about motive, intention, agenda, and disposition – as well as about context, perspective, and opinion.  You cannot write something hateful and then claim you didn’t mean or say it because you’re not really “present”.   What a falsehood you present again here.  Words matter.  Indeed, it is the written words of text that we discuss here and they do indeed convey meaning – quite clearly and redundantly.   You have hijacked every topic (regardless of what it may be) for your own agenda and self promotion while playing the victim….endlessly, and then attacking, viciously, whenever someone disagrees with you, which I must admit is often enough.  I would ask that you focus on the topics at hand and utilize text to support your positions or to ask about or to directly refute but use that which we are here to study to guide the conversation and your agreements, disagreements, and confusions which is the point of this forum.  You have done yourself and your positions no favors here.

Personally, I find the issue you have raised of experiential bias very interesting and also the differences in divine emotions, human emotions, and those of the celestials in between those two extremes as another good topic.  Start a topic?  This one is about the parables.  Let us return to that.  Please.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

This one is about the parables.  Let us return to that.  Please.

YES PLEASE!

emanny3003
    Blocked

Perhaps you should consider this yourself.

What’s that quote again about those who flee when none pursue?

Projection is the trait of the hypocrite. I flee from no one, and certainly not from you, so I am still here. How inconvenient but I promise to be instructive and constructive, but only to those of sincere hearts and minds. Others are free to ignore me.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

151:4.2 After the people had asked a few questions, Jesus spoke another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a grain of mustard seed which a man sowed in his field. Now a mustard seed is the least of seeds, but when it is full grown, it becomes the greatest of all herbs and is like a tree so that the birds of heaven are able to come and rest in the branches thereof.”

The mustard seed is mentioned three other times in the UB (140:8.27; 170:2.16; 178:1.15).  All of them are about the growth of the kingdom of heaven within the heart.  But the last is also about the gospel of the kingdom, and I find it most intriguing because it speaks of a more generalized growth. The mustard seed analogy seems to be for both the individual and the group.

178:15 This gospel of the kingdom is a living truth. I have told you it is like the leaven in the dough, like the grain of mustard seed; and now I declare that it is like the seed of the living being, which, from generation to generation, while it remains the same living seed, unfailingly unfolds itself in new manifestations and grows acceptably in channels of new adaptation to the peculiar needs and conditions of each successive generation. The revelation I have made to you is a living revelation, and I desire that it shall bear appropriate fruits in each individual and in each generation in accordance with the laws of spiritual growth, increase, and adaptative development. From generation to generation this gospel must show increasing vitality and exhibit greater depth of spiritual power. It must not be permitted to become merely a sacred memory, a mere tradition about me and the times in which we now live.

I think the seed is a fantastic nature analogy of something existing in both the natural and spiritual worlds.  Contained within the mustard seed is life; whereas the seeds of sin contain death.

We understand the life within the mustard seed as visible physical life, but it also symbolizes the seeds of the spiritual life which are invisible.  Both types of seeds need to be nourished in order to grow and bear fruit.  Sin destroys the lifeline, thus never growing or bearing fruit.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

And as in nature, the fruit that comes from spirit progress also contains the seeds for even more fruit to come in endless cycle.  So the fruit of the spirit that is exhibited by a believer sows the seeds of that fruit “as we pass by” and lands upon good soil or rock but the fruit should spread far more seed than the one seed which brought forth that fruit to “allow” nature to grow more and more seed into more and more fruit.

From the quote above: “…The revelation I have made to you is a living revelation, and I desire that it shall bear appropriate fruits in each individual and in each generation in accordance with the laws of spiritual growth, increase, and adaptative development. From generation to generation this gospel must show increasing vitality and exhibit greater depth of spiritual power….”

The Spirit of Truth/Michael perpetuates the conditions for the seeds of truth, beauty, and goodness to take root in an ever expanding and progressive way.  And thus does each generation’s “fruit” have the ability to spread far more seed than the fruit enjoyed by that generation.  Perpetuation and growth.

:good:

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

And as in nature, the fruit that comes from spirit progress also contains the seeds for even more fruit to come in endless cycle.  So the fruit of the spirit that is exhibited by a believer sows the seeds of that fruit “as we pass by” and lands upon good soil or rock but the fruit should spread far more seed than the one seed which brought forth that fruit to “allow” nature to grow more and more seed into more and more fruit.

Oh Bradly!  You have really, really nailed it.  I don’t think it could be said any better than that.  You’ve tied up all the loose ends into a perfect little package.  And adding reference to the Spirit of Truth seals the deal for me.  I really love the analogy of the seed; it includes all the necessary parts of the life cycle.

And if we are sincere, it doesn’t matter if the soil we live in is rich or barren because we are able to send our roots deep enough to find the nourishment we crave, deep within our souls where the Spirit of Truth and Adjuster reside.  It doesn’t matter if the soil is hard clay or sand, our roots will grow in shearch of what they need because once the soul comes into existence, it grows in and of itself.  With open and humble hearts we can spread our branches and face the sun, the source of life-giving light, the Adjuster.  And God will send the rains to water us, and the bees to pollinate our flowers so we can bear his fruit.  And if the rains do not come and the air is parched and unfriendly, our faith will keep us strong.  If the clouds should cover the sun, our hope and faith will still bring as light.  The trees in God’s orchard will bear fruit, in even the worst of environments, if the spirit is willing and the is mind sincere.

emanny3003
    Blocked

The revelation I have made to you is a living revelation, and I desire that it shall bear appropriate fruits in each individual and in each generation in accordance with the laws of spiritual growth, increase, and adaptative development.(178:15)

The mustard seed analogy seems to be for both the individual and the group.

I disagree. It is for the individual. Everything is ultimately for the individual. In Havona there is no more group teaching. The seed has germinated.

Jesus said that the revelation he made to us is a LIVING revelation. What is with the obsession with sin and death?

Is TUB a LIVING revelation, or a static and un-expanding exposition?

emanny3003
    Blocked

From the quote above: “…The revelation I have made to you is a living revelation, and I desire that it shall bear appropriate fruits in each individual and in each generation in accordance with the laws of spiritual growth, increase, and adaptative development. From generation to generation this gospel must show increasing vitality and exhibit greater depth of spiritual power….”

The Spirit of Truth/Michael perpetuates the conditions for the seeds of truth, beauty, and goodness to take root in an ever expanding and progressive way.  And thus does each generation’s “fruit” have the ability to spread far more seed than the fruit enjoyed by that generation.  Perpetuation and growth.

Yes Bradly, you have said it well. Now tell me this. Can a book of truths exhibit living qualities such as spiritual grow and adaptive development? If one stakes ones claim of truth on a crystalized narrative, what fruit can that bear? Do you expects additional editions to TUB? If one stagnates on TUB one cannot bear fruit. The LIVING Spirit of Truth creates a consciousness of Michael. This is our perpetual source of spiritual growth.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Interesting….I wonder, did the words Jesus spoke die as he spoke them then?  Or when they were written?  And were the scriptures Jesus studied so earnestly irrelevant and dead to him so long after they were written?

I do not expect any “updates” or “revisions” if that is what you ask.  Facts and truths are not dead nor irrelevant by their writing I do not think.  Is gravity an illusion because it is written about in text books?  The UB is just that….a book of facts and truths that are still quite factual and true before, during, and after their written presentation.  Fruit is not borne by the words written it is true but by their discernment and the changes made to one’s choices and the fruit comes from the individualization and experiential embrace of fact and truth.   I don’t know any sincere student of the UB who is not compelled to live the truths discovered therein sooner or later.   It is the same for all faith, one must ACT or there is no faith….faith is not knowledge .  A book of knowledge such as this one can only offer knowledge and only then if believed and the only effect from knowledge is the living and choosing according to that knowledge….it is not the source but the effects of the source upon mind and being that bring change and faith.  The fruits of the spirit are not a function of knowledge or words or a book.  But this does not diminish the potential importance of words themselves to inspire, illuminate, explain, give context, and expand perception in the mind.  This book is not fiction nor metaphor nor “opinion” as you claim Louis.  It is okay with me if you think so.  Your decision, your choice….but do not make the mistake of prejudice and self love of your own opinions to then judge others who come to believe the book is what it claims, written by those who claim it so, and delivered as a Revelation of fact and truth.  Peace .

emanny3003
    Blocked

Interesting….I wonder, did the words Jesus spoke die as he spoke them then?  Or when they were written?  And were the scriptures Jesus studied so earnestly irrelevant and dead to him so long after they were written?

The words of Jesus died if they fell on deaf ears. When the words of Jesus were written by someone else they became hearsay. Words cannot live on paper. Jesus was living the life of his children and needed to read what they have read and studied in order to complete his bestowal. Think a little more deeply, Bradly.

Facts and truths are not dead nor irrelevant by their writing I do not think.

Is paper or stone living. Words can only live outside of symbols in men’s hearts. The “Word made flesh” is inescapable in spirit, not on paper.

I don’t know any sincere student of the UB who is not compelled to live the truths discovered therein sooner or later.

No one can discover truth in a book. Truth is an experience. A book cannot be experienced because it is not a person.

The fruits of the spirit are not a function of knowledge or words or a book.  But this does not diminish the potential importance of words themselves to inspire, illuminate, explain, give context, and expand perception in the mind.  This book is not fiction nor metaphor nor “opinion” as you claim Louis.

Words are dead and cannot inspire, illuminate, explain, or give context or expand perception in the mind. This is a false claim. This Spirit of Truth is what does this, it lives and creates a consciousness of Michael. If you think that reading TUB does this then you give it life it does not have. You have created an idol.

This book is not fiction nor metaphor nor “opinion” as you claim Louis.  It is okay with me if you think so.  Your decision, your choice….but do not make the mistake of prejudice and self love of your own opinions to then judge others who come to believe the book is what it claims, written by those who claim it so, and delivered as a Revelation of fact and truth.

Is having an opinion “self love” or only when I hold one? You, Bradly, have no opinion? Or is your opinion a “humble opinion” as you humble yourself before men, but not before God?

TUB is not a LIVING revelation. Jesus is a living revelation because he has never left us and never will. Dead words are no substitute. You are playing Dr Frankenstein and giving life to the dead. This is idol worship.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Words, spoken or written, have meaning. They reveal much about motive, intention, agenda, and disposition – as well as about context, perspective, and opinion. . . .

Yup. I agree Bradly.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Words, spoken or written, have meaning. They reveal much about motive, intention, agenda, and disposition – as well as about context, perspective, and opinion. . . .

Yup. I agree Bradly.

Wonderful Mara. But you forgot about the hypocrite that thinks one thing and says or writes another. Hypocrites hide well in words because they are dead and have no meaning if the hypocrites separates them from the thought.

The idol is dead yet given life by the idolator and words on paper serve this purpose well. When thought is separated from meaning in dead words the thinker of the thoughts is separated from God.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Is having an opinion “self love” or only when I hold one? You, Bradly, have no opinion? Or is your opinion a “humble opinion” as you humble yourself before men, but not before God?

While the three terms self love, prejudice, and opinion may be joined together, they are not the same at all.  To have or express an opinion is neither self love nor prejudice which is a blind devotion to one’s opinions which prevents transcending one’s limits of perception, discernment, understanding, and appreciation of that which remains to be known.  And us tadpoles have much which remains to be known, if we are willing and able to let go of that which limits our ability to change and adapt to life,  both the spiritual and material life.  And I have opinions….oh, I got plenty of those.  And I have experiential bias and a prejudiced point of view limited by my experience and understanding.  It is something to be aware of and guard against and to not lay hold of to judge others’ opinions which differ from my own which is quite common.  And while some are humble by nature, my humility is well earned by sufficient humiliation both undeserved and well deserved…mine is a result or effect of experience in how wrong how often I have been about so much for so long.  My ignorance is sometimes overwhelming…and certainly humbling.  Thus the power of faith to overcome uncertainty, doubts, and confusions.  I am often perplexed…but I’m getting used to it and find it most useful in my tadpole life.

Bradly wrote: Interesting….I wonder, did the words Jesus spoke die as he spoke them then?  Or when they were written?  And were the scriptures Jesus studied so earnestly irrelevant and dead to him so long after they were written? The words of Jesus died if they fell on deaf ears. When the words of Jesus were written by someone else they became hearsay. Words cannot live on paper. Jesus was living the life of his children and needed to read what they have read and studied in order to complete his bestowal. Think a little more deeply, Bradly.

A very shallow non-response there Louis.  Are the parables of Jesus “dead” because they are recorded in words?  I find your whole premise silly, rediculous even – that words said or printed have no value and there is nothing to learn or gain by them.  You ask elsewhere when UB readers will stop reading this gift of map, guide, and lamp for the pilgrim’s path….I wonder why then you waste your precious time among readers at sites dedicated to readers to share the study of the UB?  Is this exercise in the casting of stones and sowing seeds of doubt and confusion your purpose among us?  You have no need for the Revelation and no regard for its students or student body.  Perhaps another group of believers (in God) would provide more reward for you?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Parables are stories made up of words, and stories are easily passed around and passed down.  I think Jesus’ legacy is eternal any which way it comes to us.  Language is purely human, meaning that animals without personality don’t have the gift.  Personally, I’m grateful for the gift of language, which would be nothing without words.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Yup. I agree Bradly.

And I agree with both of you.  The words that come out of our mouths reveal what is in our minds.  Jesus once said:

153:3.5 “But hearken to me, all of you. It is not that which enters into the mouth that spiritually defiles the man, but rather that which proceeds out of the mouth and from the heart.”

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 317 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.