Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart. Helen Keller

Yes, recognised for their value by the heart and the soul. Something that Bonita said about “cosmology being the pursuit of beauty” way back on page 2 sparked my recognition. (Alright, I have only just caught up.)

Bonita wrote: So . . . if cosmology is the pursuit of beauty, then would cosmological thinking be the pursuit of beautiful thinking? Curiosity, aesthetic appreciation and ethic sensitivity are all part of beautiful thinking. I’ve spent a lot of time studying spiritualized thinking which is thinking with the soul. But beautiful thinking is probably a material mind level of thought that opens the mind to the soul, a way to train the mind to keep the gateway open.

I agree, that “Curiosity, aesthetic appreciation and ethic sensitivity are all part of beautiful thinking.” To my mind cosmology concerns the inter-relationship of material reality. I think cosmology is the recognition that matter is over-controlled in concert and balance with other matter. It is also the process whereby space and energy coalesce into form. From the star systems and space bodies, to the wind and weather patterns on Urantia, to the diversity and interplay of all creatures and plants, landscapes and seasonal changes. All divinely created matter is beautiful. Have you ever wondered at the beauty of those time-delay photos — a seedling growing or a flower opening and closing? Or how colourful gaseous Nebula are? Everything in balance, rhythm and harmony — an orchestrated graceful and divinely beautiful dance. At the universe level this dance is illustrated in Papers 12-15. The seven superuniverses revolve around Paradise and Havona in a counter-clockwise procession, while the ten major sectors revolve in a clockwise procession about the Uversa headquarters of Orvonton. The rotation changes direction again, with the one hundred minor sectors revolving, counter-clockwise, about their major sector. This unthinkably huge procession reminds me of brightly coloured dancers who hold hands forming several concentric circles dancing within each other — circles within circles. Each dancing the opposite direction. I believe that cosmology informs our understanding of how all levels of material reality are interdependent. This is a valuable lesson about our own interdependence as a people. Beauty is the God-conscious “drama” that plays out in our material-mind. It is “the unification of contrasts”.

56:10.2 (646.3)Throughout this glorious age the chief pursuit of the ever-advancing mortals is the quest for a better understanding and a fuller realization of the comprehensible elements of Deity — truth, beauty, and goodness. This represents man’s effort to discern God in mind, matter, and spirit. And as the mortal pursues this quest, he finds himself increasingly absorbed in the experiential study of philosophy, cosmology, and divinity. 56:10.3 (646.4) Beauty, art, is largely a matter of the unification of contrasts. Variety is essential to the concept of beauty. The supreme beauty, the height of finite art, is the drama of the unification of the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature. 12:4.15 (134.4) But the greatest of all such distortions arises because the vast universes, of outer space, in the realms next to the domains of the seven superuniverses, seem to be revolving in a direction opposite to that of the grand universe. That is, these myriads of nebulae and their accompanying suns and spheres are at the present time revolving clockwise about the central creation. The seven superuniverses revolve about Paradise in a counterclockwise direction. It appears that the second outer universe of galaxies, like the seven superuniverses, revolves counterclockwise about Paradise. And the astronomic observers of Uversa think they detect evidence of revolutionary movements in a third outer belt of far-distant space which are beginning to exhibit directional tendencies of a clockwise nature.

Thank you Andre (Helen Keller too!) and Angela. Much appreciate the expanded definition of cosmology, Angela. The connection between beauty and cosmology is not always an easy one to make (one reader opined the authors may have meant to use the word, “cosmetology”)   :-(

But beauty’s association with cosmology makes divine sense once established in the beauty-attuned mind. The Cosmos is indeed beauty filled. The vast, stunning, clockwork mechanism of physicality interacts with the freewill decisions of Creator and creature on the mind and spirit level, causing change, evolution in time and space. Beauty must be perfect and unchanging only in God, on Paradise and Havona. Everywhere else there must be only relative beauty, like truth and goodness.

Richard E Warren

Angela
    Participant

Speaking of beautiful nebula. I wanted to share this photo of a nebula in the distinct shape of a hand. Do you think the Primary Master Force Organizers may have been posing for the photo? They are Universe Personalities (29:0.1 (319.1)) and may possess a sense of humour!

29:5.5 (329.5) Primary Master Force Organizers are the manipulators of the primordial or basic space-forces of the Unqualified Absolute; they are nebulae creators. They are the living instigators of the energy cyclones of space and the early organizers and directionizers of these gigantic manifestations.

Source for photo is NASA/CXC/SAO/P.Slane, et al. The thirteenth in the series.

Red represents low-energy X-rays, the medium range is green, and the most energetic ones are colored blue. The blue hand-like structure was created by energy emanating from the nebula around they dying star PSR B1509-58. The red areas are from a neighboring gas cloud called RCW 89. – See more at: http://www.space.com/12605-50-deep-space-nebula-photos.html#sthash.Ly5FWh5M.dpuf

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

The more closely man approaches God through love, the greater the reality — actuality — of that man. 117:4.14 (1285.3)

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Speaking of beautiful nebula. I wanted to share this photo of a nebula in the distinct shape of a hand. Do you think the Primary Master Force Organizers may have been posing for the photo? They are Universe Personalities (29:0.1 (319.1)) and may possess a sense of humour! 29:5.5 (329.5) Primary Master Force Organizers are the manipulators of the primordial or basic space-forces of the Unqualified Absolute; they are nebulae creators. They are the living instigators of the energy cyclones of space and the early organizers and directionizers of these gigantic manifestations.

Spooky cool, Angela, and a hot hand! :good:

Richard E Warren

Angela
    Participant

I have been listening to a wonderful radio interview with John O’Donohue, an Irish poet, philosopher and Catholic scholar, who wrote “Beauty: The Invisible Embrace”. It was one of his last interviews before his death (aged 52) in 2008, in France. The expression of thoughts seems in tune with the UB. But the flow of ideas is so fast it is hard to collect every morsel of intellect.

I am paraphrasing here, but the gist of a portion of the interview: We reduce beauty as we reduce identity — to biology of self. Beauty, creativity, music art is larger, more complex, than we can ever imagine. Our experience during stressful episodes will pervert our concept of passing time and will bury beauty. It is only when our perception of time is slowed, in the stillness of time, that growth is asked for and achieved, when we are in rhythm with the universe. “There is a space within our soul that neither time, nor space, nor no thing created can touch” (Meister Eckhart). Beauty reminds us of the infinity within us, a hidden resource for emerging elegance and grace in thought and action. It is at that threshold that healing is done and the true self emerges.

The interview “An Inner Landscape Of Beauty” can be heard hear: http://www.onbeing.org/program/john-o-donohue-the-inner-landscape-beauty/203

The more closely man approaches God through love, the greater the reality — actuality — of that man. 117:4.14 (1285.3)

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I have been listening to a wonderful radio interview with John O’Donohue, an Irish poet, philosopher and Catholic scholar, who wrote “Beauty: The Invisible Embrace”. It was one of his last interviews before his death (aged 52) in 2008, in France. The expression of thoughts seems in tune with the UB. But the flow of ideas is so fast it is hard to collect every morsel of intellect. I am paraphrasing here, but the gist of a portion of the interview: We reduce beauty as we reduce identity — to biology of self. Beauty, creativity, music art is larger, more complex, than we can ever imagine. Our experience during stressful episodes will pervert our concept of passing time and will bury beauty. It is only when our perception of time is slowed, in the stillness of time, that growth is asked for and achieved, when we are in rhythm with the universe. “There is a space within our soul that neither time, nor space, nor no thing created can touch” (Meister Eckhart). Beauty reminds us of the infinity within us, a hidden resource for emerging elegance and grace in thought and action. It is at that threshold that healing is done and the true self emerges. The interview “An Inner Landscape Of Beauty” can be heard hear: http://www.onbeing.org/program/john-o-donohue-the-inner-landscape-beauty/203

THANK you, Angela. Listening to the interview was itself an experience of beauty. “God is Beauty” O’Donohue stated. Music is what language might hope to be but never could, the poet opined. What an adorable soul, in fact interviewee and interviewer created an exquisite beauty just in their conversation. The interview also mixed in violin, poetry, and a few facts about this, might I say, beautiful Irish man. He ended the interview with, what else, a beautiful line from the end of one of his poems:

“…And so may a slow wind work these words of love around you, an invisible cloak to mind your life“.

About teaching, he used an interesting phrase: “the pedagogy of interiority” :-)

Richard E Warren

Angela
    Participant

About teaching, he used an interesting phrase: “the pedagogy of interiority” :-)

So glad you enjoyed the interview. I think his view was that we are our own teachers. Our personal growth is realised through the meaning and value we attach to beauty and the relationship we seek with it. O’Donohue sought the beauty in every exchange and every experience. His inner peace and basis for fraternal love was self-taught through a process of inner discovery and personal enlightenment — “pedagogy of interiority”.

I believe O’Donohue was the living example of grace and poise.  He lived Goodness and Beauty unified through love.

Mysteriously, he died in his sleep and there is no public explanation of the cause of his passing. Perhaps there was no further progress to be made in the material realm — Perhaps he reached a point of fusion with his Thought Adjuster (the “Teacher” within) and departed peacefully.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

So glad you enjoyed the interview. I think his view was that we are our own teachers. Our personal growth is realised through the meaning and value we attach to beauty and the relationship we seek with it. O’Donohue sought the beauty in every exchange and every experience. His inner peace and basis for fraternal love was self-taught through a process of inner discovery and personal enlightenment — “pedagogy of interiority”. I believe O’Donohue was the living example of grace and poise. He lived Goodness and Beauty unified through love. Mysteriously, he died in his sleep and there is no public explanation of the cause of his passing. Perhaps there was no further progress to be made in the material realm — Perhaps he reached a point of fusion with his Thought Adjuster (the “Teacher” within) and departed peacefully.

That was strange, he sounded strong and vital in the interview. Then to die so soon after. He left a great book they say:

From Wikipedia:

Anam Ċara is the title of a 1997 bestseller on “Celtic spirituality”, the first publication by Irish author and then-priest John O’Donohue. According to O’Donohue, the Irish term anam cara (lit. “soul-friend”) originates in Irish monasticism, where it was applied to a monk’s spiritual advisor.

The book was an international bestseller and catapulted the author to public notability, as an author and much sought-after speaker and teacher, particularly in the United States. O’Donohue left the priesthood in 2000. As O’Donohue puts it: The term is greatly misconstrued to mean “soul mate”, anam meaning soul and cara meaning friend.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anam_Cara

Richard E Warren

Angela
    Participant

Just couldn’t help myself — I have to share this quote from “Beauty: The Invisible Embrace” by John O’Donohue:

Beauty enjoys a profound and ancient autonomy. True beauty is from elsewhere, a pure gift. It cannot be programmed nor its arrival foreseen. It never falls simply into the old patterns of what is already there nor is it frivolous or burdened with leaden solemnity. Frequently, beauty is playful like dancing sunlight, it cannot be predicted, and in the most unlikely scene or situation can suddenly emerge. This spontaneity and playfulness often subverts our self-importance and throws our plans and intentions into disarray. Without intending it, we find ourselves coming alive in a sense of celebration and delight. The pedestrian sequence of a working day breaks, a new door opens and the heart recognizes the silent majesty of the ordinary. The things we never notice, like health, friends and love, emerge from their subdued presence and stand out in their true radiance as gifts we could never have earned or achieved.

I really appreciate O’Donohue’s personification of beauty as though it’s volition is to tease out our appreciation and worship; to mock our denial of quality and value; to playfully jump out and shock us into cosmic realignment. When we think ourselves free to indulge in self pity or guilt, or some other destructive emotion, beauty will playfully coax us back to reality. But I would not understate the role that our Thought Adjuster plays here. You said it, Rick:

“God is Beauty” O’Donohue stated.

I think O’Donohue attributes this mysterious personification to God. Beauty is God’s gift of creativity and it has a very real purpose.

Angela
    Participant

Rick, after having read your inspired words under our topic on Who Knows “The Truth”? What is Truth? Where is Truth Found?, I feel I should add to my last post the wonderful contribution made by the Spirit of Truth.

Rick Warren wrote:

Our aesthetic sensibilities are derived from the Spirit of Truth who conspires with the indwelling fragment of God and the Holy Spirit to bring about our realization and acquisition of spiritual values–beauty, truth and goodness. Indeed, the very substance of the soul is an accumulation of beautiful spiritual values expressed through our unique personal unfolding out into eternity. Developing a beautiful soul of faith is the only method of transcending death and attaining eternity. Real art, superb music and meaningful stories beautify life and reflect Father’s creativity, sensibilities and purposes.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Thank you, Angela.

Angela wrote:

Richard E Warren

Viewing 10 posts - 91 through 100 (of 100 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.