Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Evidently the winky emoticon isn’t working as intended

Ooooh! So you weren’t flirting with me then? Shucks, I thought that was what the winky thingy was all about. Duh!

;-)

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Question: Is this creature beautiful?

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Poor little fella.  I’m guessing a hairless albino rabbit?  He looks sunburned and blinded.  Surely a mother can love him.  I think I’ll sew him a little suit and buy him some sunglasses.  But now that I think about it, I’ve seen humans that look worse than this.  A lot worse.

Isn’t mercy part of beauty?

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Poor little fella. I’m guessing a hairless albino rabbit? He looks sunburned and blinded. Surely a mother can love him. I think I’ll sew him a little suit and buy him some sunglasses. But now that I think about it, I’ve seen humans that look worse than this. A lot worse. Isn’t mercy part of beauty?

It’s a newborn wombat, who knew? All babies are adorable seems like…well most. But all values are beautiful, right? Especially divine ones. What made you think of mercy?

PS, someone beat you to it:

.S

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote:  It’s a newborn wombat, who knew? All babies are adorable seems like…well most. But all values are beautiful, right? Especially divine ones. What made you think of mercy?
    What?  I thought wombats had little ears.  So he is some mamma wombat’s beautiful little baby.  Good thing for this little guy that wombats are marsupials, huh?
    And yeah, I agree all divine values are beautiful.
    So the mercy thing . . . here’s what I’m thinking.  If the Spirit of Truth is also the spirit of idealistic beauty, then mercy has to be related to beauty too.  The Son is concerned with mercy ministry (6:3-1-5). Divinity is comprehensible as TBG and correlated in personality as love, mercy and ministry (0:1.17).  I think they’re all interrelated, but I think mercy is especially beautiful.  If supreme beauty is the unification of extremes, particularly the vast extreme between creature and Creator (56:10.3), then mercy surely plays a role in this level of cosmic beauty.  If it were not for mercy, the beauty of such an imponderable relationship could hardly come to fruition.  Mercy is a beautiful personality characteristic of Deity, one which is worthy of striving to achieve.
    Another thing we can talk about is the relationship between beauty and the attainment of cosmological levels of thought as explained in 56:10.5-8.
    Oh, and by the way, the things Scruton was saying about the desire to get rid of both art and religion . . .  we’re told in 56:10.4 that materialism (cult of utility) and atheism (cult of ugliness) is the antithesis of beauty.  He nailed it.
    56:10.4 Hence materialism, atheism, is the maximation of ugliness, the climax of the finite antithesis of the beautiful.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

…Good thing for this little guy that wombats are marsupials, huh?

~Yeah, or get some sun glasses.

And yeah, I agree all divine values are beautiful.

So the mercy thing . . . here’s what I’m thinking. If the Spirit of Truth is also the spirit of idealistic beauty, then mercy has to be related to beauty too. The Son is concerned with mercy ministry (6:3-1-5). Divinity is comprehensible as TBG and correlated in personality as love, mercy and ministry (0:1.17). I think they’re all interrelated, but I think mercy is especially beautiful. If supreme beauty is the unification of extremes, particularly the vast extreme between creature and Creator (56:10.3), then mercy surely plays a role in this level of cosmic beauty. If it were not for mercy, the beauty of such an imponderable relationship could hardly come to fruition. Mercy is a beautiful personality characteristic of Deity, one which is worthy of striving to achieve.

Just watching an act of kindness can bring a beautiful feeling of Godlikeness, which I gather has value, for God, actor and watcher.

Another thing we can talk about is the relationship between beauty and the attainment of cosmological levels of thought as explained in 56:10.5-8.
    Oh, and by the way, the things Scruton was saying about the desire to get rid of both art and religion . . . we’re told in 56:10.4 that materialism (cult of utility) and atheism (cult of ugliness) is the antithesis of beauty. He nailed it.

Agree, give that man more hammers!

Ok. Cosmological thinking, it must mean thinking with your head in the sky and your feet on the ground?

And the author said:

The attainment of cosmologic levels of thought includes:

1. Curiosity. Hunger for harmony and thirst for beauty. Persistent attempts to discover new levels of harmonious cosmic relationships.

2. Aesthetic appreciation. Love of the beautiful and ever-advancing appreciation of the artistic touch of all creative manifestations on all levels of reality.

3. Ethic sensitivity. Through the realization of truth the appreciation of beauty leads to the sense of the eternal fitness of those things which impinge upon the recognition of divine goodness in Deity relations with all beings; and thus even cosmology leads to the pursuit of divine reality values — to God-consciousness.  (646.6) 56:10.5

Richard E Warren

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

With regard to “the pursuit of beauty — cosmology” (646:4, 56:10.3), the original Greek concept involved “harmonious ordering”, to be contrasted with chaos.  Harmonious ordering implies exquisite design, hence the connection with beauty.  “Cosmetics” comes from the same root.  Quite a word!

What a pale shadow the so-called cosmology of current science has become.  But on this, we’re working   :good:

Nigel

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

With regard to “the pursuit of beauty — cosmology” (646:4, 56:10.3), the original Greek concept involved “harmonious ordering”, to be contrasted with chaos. Harmonious ordering implies exquisite design, hence the connection with beauty. “Cosmetics” comes from the same root. Quite a word! What a pale shadow the so-called cosmology of current science has become. But on this, we’re working :good: Nigel

Good to hear it is being worked on, Nigel. Maybe someday evolved science will harmonize with the ‘exquisite design’. Too bad cosmetics has been reduced to face painting, improving the human appearance. I once mentioned to a reader on Facebook, that the authors associate cosmology with beauty. He opined there must have been a misunderstanding, a typo. The authors probably meant cosmetology instead of cosmology. I couldn’t convince him otherwise, since physical beauty is so often associated with make up and the human body.

As an astrophysicist you must surely have a deep appreciation for the infinite and diverse beauty of the cosmos, even to the point of saturation! Thanks for the input.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

The attainment of cosmologic levels of thought includes:

1. Curiosity. Hunger for harmony and thirst for beauty. Persistent attempts to discover new levels of harmonious cosmic relationships.

2. Aesthetic appreciation. Love of the beautiful and ever-advancing appreciation of the artistic touch of all creative manifestations on all levels of reality.

3. Ethic sensitivity. Through the realization of truth the appreciation of beauty leads to the sense of the eternal fitness of those things which impinge upon the recognition of divine goodness in Deity relations with all beings; and thus even cosmology leads to the pursuit of divine reality values — to God-consciousness. (646.6) 56:10.5

Thanks for bringing the quote above to the fore, Bonita. It’s perfect grist for this thread.

Is it a good exercise to compare one’s thinking with the three points? The first one begs the question: How many of us: ‘Hunger for harmony and thirst for beauty’? Most I’d say. But not so much with the last part of point 1. Most may not discover new levels, for no other reason than most people aren’t aware of the existence or need of ‘cosmic relationships’. This must be where revelation and beauty intersect.

And on point two, don’t we all possess some measure of ‘aesthetic appreciation’? Maybe not ALL humans have a love of the beautiful. Indeed, the ‘artistic touch’ is still too rare. Is that because we don’t love beauty as much as we should? Because there is a shortage of creativity? Because we are lazy? Or is it simply that remoteness from God equals remoteness from beauty? Somewhere I remember reading that worship is a source of creative inspiration.

Ethics doesn’t seem like it would be directly associated with beauty. But ethics and beauty share common ground, they both represent cosmic value.  Everyone lives by some code of ethics, but we, as a planet, haven’t yet made a solid connection from ethics to God, the source of all values divine.

So, Urantia is slowly, gradually coming to the realization of divine values, cosmic beauty, truth and goodness, but as usual, by the most circuitous route possible! If we could all somehow embrace the idea that beautiful thinking is the parent of beauty realized, more effort could and would be invested in curiosity about beauty, appreciation for it, and sensitivity to it.

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Rick Warren wrote: Ethics doesn’t seem like it would be directly associated with beauty. But ethics and beauty share common ground, they both represent cosmic value.

I was just thinking about this . . . great minds think alike, huh? It has something to do with what I was saying before about mercy.  In order to show mercy, first you have to be just, fair, patient and kind, in that specific order (28:6.8).  All of those qualities are ethical and moral in nature; they’re all characteristics of a beautiful nature; they all involve striving to be Godlike in nature.  Attempting to be Godlike is beautiful.

So . . . if cosmology is the pursuit of beauty, then would cosmological thinking be the pursuit of beautiful thinking?  Curiosity, aesthetic appreciation and ethic sensitivity are all part of beautiful thinking.  I’ve spent a lot of time studying spiritualized thinking which is thinking with the soul.  But beautiful thinking is probably a material mind level of thought that opens the mind to the soul, a way to train the mind to keep the gateway open.

A persistent desire to find harmonious relationships, a growing appreciation of creativity on all levels of reality and the recognition of Deity values in relationships reminds me of the quote about spiritual insight which states all we can do is discover, recognize, interpret and choose.  Cosmological levels of beautiful thinking seems to be a door opener into spiritual insight.

We know that ethics can never rise higher than one’s faith.  So beautiful, cosmological thinking might be a way to stimulate faith and broaden ethics; particularly if “Faith is the inspiration of the spiritized creative imagination. (132:3.5)”  Also, we know that the supermind (Holy Spirit) of the soul, a circuit of the Creative Spirit, functions to enlarge viewpoints of ethics in the domain of human and divine relationships (103:0.1).

p1127:8 102:8.4 Ethics is the eternal social or racial mirror which faithfully reflects the otherwise unobservable progress of internal spiritual and religious developments.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I was just thinking about this . . . great minds think alike, huh? It has something to do with what I was saying before about mercy. In order to show mercy, first you have to be just, fair, patient and kind, in that specific order (28:6.8). All of those qualities are ethical and moral in nature; they’re all characteristics of a beautiful nature; they all involve striving to be Godlike in nature. Attempting to be Godlike is beautiful. So . . . if cosmology is the pursuit of beauty, then would cosmological thinking be the pursuit of beautiful thinking? Curiosity, aesthetic appreciation and ethic sensitivity are all part of beautiful thinking. I’ve spent a lot of time studying spiritualized thinking which is thinking with the soul. But beautiful thinking is probably a material mind level of thought that opens the mind to the soul, a way to train the mind to keep the gateway open. A persistent desire to find harmonious relationships, a growing appreciation of creativity on all levels of reality and the recognition of Deity values in relationships reminds me of the quote about spiritual insight which states all we can do is discover, recognize, interpret and choose. Cosmological levels of beautiful thinking seems to be a door opener into spiritual insight. We know that ethics can never rise higher than one’s faith. So beautiful, cosmological thinking might be a way to stimulate faith and broaden ethics; particularly if “Faith is the inspiration of the spiritized creative imagination. (132:3.5)” Also, we know that the supermind (Holy Spirit) of the soul, a circuit of the Creative Spirit, functions to enlarge viewpoints of ethics in the domain of human and divine relationships (103:0.1).

p1127:8 102:8.4 Ethics is the eternal social or racial mirror which faithfully reflects the otherwise unobservable progress of internal spiritual and religious developments.

Thanks Bonita, I can’t improve on that.

To your question: “So . . . if cosmology is the pursuit of beauty, then would cosmological thinking be the pursuit of beautiful thinking?”

Pursuit could imply a chase. Can we ever catch beauty? Or beautiful thinking? But pursuit is also a laudable thing, to pursue a college education is good. This ties closely to another unforgettable line, this one from an Archangel:

…At first life was a struggle for existence; now, for a standard of living; next it will be for quality of thinking, the coming earthly goal of human existence…. 81:6:28

If we have the power to control the quality of our thinking, why would we not want to cultivate beautiful thinking? Have you noticed how the mind has to be trained?! And a Solitary Messenger talks about that too:

…you do not spiritually develop and discipline your minds to the point of favorable liaison with the divine Adjusters…. 110:7:6

Beautiful thoughts surely resonate with our Indweller.

P.

Richard E Warren

Anonymous
    Inactive

To your question: “So . . . if cosmology is the pursuit of beauty, then would cosmological thinking be the pursuit of beautiful thinking?”

Pursuit could imply a chase. Can we ever catch beauty? Or beautiful thinking? But pursuit is also a laudable thing, to pursue a college education is good. [. . .]

If we have the power to control the quality of our thinking, why would we not want to cultivate beautiful thinking? Have you noticed how the mind has to be trained?! [. . .]

Rick, I understand your implication but in the one which implies to “pursue a college education” which by definition is only good if one has a purpose to achieve a required education to that or a pursuit of a specific profession, which sometimes does not foster “the pursuit of beautiful thinking?”, and only mimics that which may only be beautiful to others, and not for the desire or need of self?

I have seen to many persons spend time in pursuit of a degree, only to end up using that degree in an unrelated field or profession, supervising those who have, from experience, acquired true knowledge of this associated profession, only to be either belittled or detoured from that profession by those with worthless degrees or papers, which then degrades that profession.  As has been said: “Those who can’t do, teach. And those who can’t teach, teach gym.”  Notwithstanding, that those who teach are required to retain some experience and knowledge, but when those who teach, teach to produce images of themselves, do not produce beautiful thinkers, but only that which is considered as beautiful by others, like “monkey see, monkey do”.

Therefore, can you elaborate on you mention of “…to pursue a college education is good…”, or is this your actual thinking?  Where in order to become a plumber or electrician, etc., would require an education of sorts, and could be benefitted by college courses which are related to that pursuit, depending on the desire of profession, but is it necessary therefore “to cultivate beautiful thinking?”

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

…Therefore, can you elaborate on you mention of “…to pursue a college education is good…”, or is this your actual thinking?

Seems like a well rounded education is good for all ‘normal minded’ humans. How can people live wisely and successfully without first knowing the local conditions, the state of the world, the enveloping universe, and their place in it all? But I get your point, not all are suited for college, vocational education is also good. That is your point, or did I miss it?

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Rick Warren wrote: Have you noticed how the mind has to be trained?!

Yes, regularly.  The untrained mind seems to be a rather annoying problem, wouldn’t you say?  Since an untrained mind often results in an untrained mouth. And an untrained mouth is a constant source of trouble, especially here on this forum. Just ask moderator 2. I appear to be most guilty.  It’s my downfall.  Alas, I’ll never be great.

28:6.20 And the manifestation of greatness on a world like Urantia is the exhibition of self-control. The great man is not he who “takes a city” or “overthrows a nation,” but rather “he who subdues his own tongue.”

I think it’s interesting how the words disciple and discipline are so closely related.  They both have learning and knowledge as the meaning of their latin base.  I see disciplining the mind as a form of discipleship; it involves learning God’s way to think and act.  And that’s pretty beautiful when tried.  But it is a work in progress.  The revelators give a list of ways to discipline our thinking:

100:1.8 Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

Do you think this list includes curiosity, aesthetic appreciation and ethic sensitivity?  I do.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Rick Warren wrote: Have you noticed how the mind has to be trained?!

Yes, regularly. The untrained mind seems to be a rather annoying problem, wouldn’t you say? Since an untrained mind often results in an untrained mouth. And an untrained mouth is a constant source of trouble, especially here on this forum. Just ask moderator 2. I appear to be most guilty. It’s my downfall. Alas, I’ll never be great.

It’s annoying the way it jumps around without my permission! I must have trained it that way. Why don’t these minds come to us already trained? :)

28:6.20 And the manifestation of greatness on a world like Urantia is the exhibition of self-control. The great man is not he who “takes a city” or “overthrows a nation,” but rather “he who subdues his own tongue.”

I think it’s interesting how the words disciple and discipline are so closely related. They both have learning and knowledge as the meaning of their latin base. I see disciplining the mind as a form of discipleship; it involves learning God’s way to think and act. And that’s pretty beautiful when tried. But it is a work in progress. The revelators give a list of ways to discipline our thinking:

Interesting point.

100:1.8 Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious.

Do you think this list includes curiosity, aesthetic appreciation and ethic sensitivity? I do.

Agreed, and in cosmic proportions :good:

And thanks, that’s a very instructive (and beautiful) paragraph from Melechizedek. The authors also use the word meditation a couple of dozen times, and how the Master spent “long hours” at it.

…The results of this momentous season of meditation demonstrated conclusively that the divine mind has triumphantly and spiritually dominated the human intellect. The mind of man has become the mind of God from this time on, and though the selfhood of the mind of man is ever present, always does this spiritualized human mind say, “Not my will but yours be done.” 136:4:4
    Rodan declared:
    …But the greatest of all methods of problem solving I have learned from Jesus, your Master. I refer to that which he so consistently practices, and which he has so faithfully taught you, the isolation of worshipful meditation…. 160:1:10

The Master, talking to Peter:

“…Let experience teach you the value of meditation and the power of intelligent reflection.” 192:2:2

Richard E Warren

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 100 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.