Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Is Beauty Really Necessary? What Is Beauty? Who Says What Is Beautiful?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hey Gang!!  What a marvelous study…thanks to all.  As to curiosity:

14:5.7 (159.3) Not until you traverse the last of the Havona circuits and visit the last of the Havona worlds, will the tonic of adventure and the stimulus of curiosity disappear from your career. And then will the urge, the forward impulse of eternity, replace its forerunner, the adventure lure of time.

14:5.8 (159.4) Monotony is indicative of immaturity of the creative imagination and inactivity of intellectual co-ordination with the spiritual endowment. By the time an ascendant mortal begins the exploration of these heavenly worlds, he has already attained emotional, intellectual, and social, if not spiritual, maturity.

14:5.9 (159.5) Not only will you find undreamed-of changes confronting you as you advance from circuit to circuit in Havona, but your astonishment will be inexpressible as you progress from planet to planet within each circuit. Each of these billion study worlds is a veritable university of surprises. Continuing astonishment, unending wonder, is the experience of those who traverse these circuits and tour these gigantic spheres. Monotony is not a part of the Havona career.

14:5.10 (159.6) Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony — these traits inherent in evolving human nature — were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery.

14:5.11 (160.1) Curiosity — the spirit of investigation, the urge of discovery, the drive of exploration — is a part of the inborn and divine endowment of evolutionary space creatures. These natural impulses were not given you merely to be frustrated and repressed. True, these ambitious urges must frequently be restrained during your short life on earth, disappointment must be often experienced, but they are to be fully realized and gloriously gratified during the long ages to come.

Me here:  Learning is beautiful in and of itself, indeed!  Wonder and curiosity propel the mind forward while uncertainty is required for adventure!!  We reside in a near-endless education in the universe-ity of creation!  What a blessing that there is to be no monotony for the pilgrims of time and space….from tadpole to fusion (frogdom) to agondontor/finaliter.   Glorious!  And when we get to the next level of being and service, new adventures and education and experience still await….education is an eternal adventure.  We are to embrace it.  We can never know enough or love enough…but there is an endless supply of both knowledge to acquire and love to give.

The Revelation makes me so glad to be a happy and joyful child in the creation and family of God.  It makes me smile and laugh in my wonder and my uncertainties….it’s all such an adventure!  The process itself has its own beauty as well as its beautiful result I think…..unifying is as beautiful as unification to the earnest student.

:good:

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Why don’t these minds come to us already trained? :)

Because the gods want us to realize how stupid we are, otherwise we’d have giant egos like the great trained mind of Lucifer himself.  But thank the gods that we have access to the mind of Jesus.  Now there’s a beautiful mind.  So peaceful. No conflict whatsoever.  Just kindness and caring.

So why aren’t more people curious about the mind of Jesus?  Why don’t more people appreciate its aesthetic beauty and ethic sensitivity?  Eh, what do you expect from the cult of ugliness, those folks who threw Jesus under the bus along with the religion started about him.  Remember Piss Christ by Andres Serrano? Sigh.  Modern culture is in such a state of decay. No wonder so few are happy.  No wonder there are so many HUGE egos around, so many untrained minds.

Gene
    Participant

I pray and plead almost daily for Jesus’ mind to take hold and get in there and get working.

just don’t seem to happen.

me is dominant

but there is hope, me will step aside when least expected.

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Hey Gang!! What a marvelous study…thanks to all. As to curiosity: 14:5.7 (159.3) Not until you traverse the last of the Havona circuits and visit the last of the Havona worlds, will the tonic of adventure and the stimulus of curiosity disappear from your career. And then will the urge, the forward impulse of eternity, replace its forerunner, the adventure lure of time. 14:5.8 (159.4) Monotony is indicative of immaturity of the creative imagination and inactivity of intellectual co-ordination with the spiritual endowment. By the time an ascendant mortal begins the exploration of these heavenly worlds, he has already attained emotional, intellectual, and social, if not spiritual, maturity. 14:5.9 (159.5) Not only will you find undreamed-of changes confronting you as you advance from circuit to circuit in Havona, but your astonishment will be inexpressible as you progress from planet to planet within each circuit. Each of these billion study worlds is a veritable university of surprises. Continuing astonishment, unending wonder, is the experience of those who traverse these circuits and tour these gigantic spheres. Monotony is not a part of the Havona career. 14:5.10 (159.6) Love of adventure, curiosity, and dread of monotony — these traits inherent in evolving human nature — were not put there just to aggravate and annoy you during your short sojourn on earth, but rather to suggest to you that death is only the beginning of an endless career of adventure, an everlasting life of anticipation, an eternal voyage of discovery. 14:5.11 (160.1) Curiosity — the spirit of investigation, the urge of discovery, the drive of exploration — is a part of the inborn and divine endowment of evolutionary space creatures. These natural impulses were not given you merely to be frustrated and repressed. True, these ambitious urges must frequently be restrained during your short life on earth, disappointment must be often experienced, but they are to be fully realized and gloriously gratified during the long ages to come. Me here: Learning is beautiful in and of itself, indeed! Wonder and curiosity propel the mind forward while uncertainty is required for adventure!! We reside in a near-endless education in the universe-ity of creation! What a blessing that there is to be no monotony for the pilgrims of time and space….from tadpole to fusion (frogdom) to agondontor/finaliter. Glorious! And when we get to the next level of being and service, new adventures and education and experience still await….education is an eternal adventure. We are to embrace it. We can never know enough or love enough…but there is an endless supply of both knowledge to acquire and love to give. The Revelation makes me so glad to be a happy and joyful child in the creation and family of God. It makes me smile and laugh in my wonder and my uncertainties….it’s all such an adventure! The process itself has its own beauty as well as its beautiful result I think…..unifying is as beautiful as unification to the earnest student. :good:

You are an adventurer, Bradley. Equipped with abundant curiosity and enthusiasm evidently. Even way out here on Urantia, those billion beautiful worlds of Havona await us curious tadpoles. Shed tail, grow legs strong enough to jump from one world to the next.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Why don’t these minds come to us already trained? :)

Because the gods want us to realize how stupid we are, otherwise we’d have giant egos like the great trained mind of Lucifer himself. But thank the gods that we have access to the mind of Jesus. Now there’s a beautiful mind. So peaceful. No conflict whatsoever. Just kindness and caring. So why aren’t more people curious about the mind of Jesus? Why don’t more people appreciate its aesthetic beauty and ethic sensitivity? Eh, what do you expect from the cult of ugliness, those folks who threw Jesus under the bus along with the religion started about him. Remember Piss Christ by Andres Serrano? Sigh. Modern culture is in such a state of decay. No wonder so few are happy. No wonder there are so many HUGE egos around, so many untrained minds.

We created this culture, and it is always evolving, therefore it can improve. How best to train the mind for beautiful thinking? Personally speaking, it’s a matter of taking the reins of mind, saying let’s go over here. Mind itself is a beautiful gift, and a big mystery to most I think. What to do to entreat our siblings into seeking the mind of God? Couldn’t hurt to build more and better parks, appealing architecture, excellent gardens, love saturated souls.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

I pray and plead almost daily for Jesus’ mind to take hold and get in there and get working. just don’t seem to happen. me is dominant but there is hope, me will step aside when least expected.

Thanks. A beauty of an insight shared. That ‘when least expected’ thing is also beautiful when it happens, isn’t it?!

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

How best to train the mind for beautiful thinking? Personally speaking, it’s a matter of taking the reins of mind, saying let’s go over here. Mind itself is a beautiful gift, and a big mystery to most I think. What to do to entreat our siblings into seeking the mind of God? Couldn’t hurt to build more and better parks, appealing architecture, excellent gardens, love saturated souls.

I think the best way to train the mind is to pray without ceasing.  We should entreat our siblings to pray.  But I’ve been saying that for years and years now and getting nowhere with it.  I supposed the modern world prefers the word “meditate,”  which has been corrupted to mean attend a yoga class.

I agree that the mind is a big mystery.  I find it fascinating that TUB arrived during the era when psychiatry became a fad.  Everyone was curious about how the mind worked, including Sadler.  Today we have a burgeoning interest in neuroscience and cognitive science which are cousins to psychology and psychiatry.  Also interesting is TUB’s definition of psychology- the study of someone else’s religion.  But funny how religion is rarely mentioned by these scientists.

103:6.1 Theology is always the study of your religion; the study of another’s religion is psychology.

Gene
    Participant

. I find it fascinating that TUB arrived during the era when psychiatry became a fad

that said: contrast Freud who studied degenerates to Maslow who studied success.

no timing connections there eh?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote:   . . . that said: contrast Freud who studied degenerates to Maslow who studied success. no timing connections there eh?

Not sure where you’re going with that Gene.  Freud studied the unconscious mind and how it motivates behavior.  Maslow studied the conscious mind and how it motivates behavior. Both are valid. Freud mostly studied sick people and tried to make them better.  Maslow studied healthy people to understand why they are better. Maslow was a humanist (anti-spirituality), Freud was agnostic, or possibly atheistic. That makes them equal in that regard.  They overlapped one another time wise: Maslow 1908-1970; Freud 1856-1939.  TUB dates: 1924-1955.

What’s your point?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

How best to train the mind for beautiful thinking? Personally speaking, it’s a matter of taking the reins of mind, saying let’s go over here. Mind itself is a beautiful gift, and a big mystery to most I think. What to do to entreat our siblings into seeking the mind of God? Couldn’t hurt to build more and better parks, appealing architecture, excellent gardens, love saturated souls.

(Bonita responds)

I think the best way to train the mind is to pray without ceasing. We should entreat our siblings to pray. But I’ve been saying that for years and years now and getting nowhere with it. I supposed the modern world prefers the word “meditate,” which has been corrupted to mean attend a yoga class. I agree that the mind is a big mystery. I find it fascinating that TUB arrived during the era when psychiatry became a fad. Everyone was curious about how the mind worked, including Sadler. Today we have a burgeoning interest in neuroscience and cognitive science which are cousins to psychology and psychiatry. Also interesting is TUB’s definition of psychology- the study of someone else’s religion. But funny how religion is rarely mentioned by these scientists.

103:6.1 Theology is always the study of your religion; the study of another’s religion is psychology.

Me here:  That quote puzzled me for a long time and I’d be interested in reflections on it.  Psychology, by human definition, entails much in mind I would not define as “religious or religion”.  So what’s being said here?  Is “the study of another’s religion” all of psychology or just an element of psychology?  I think the psychology of the happy mind vs. the unhappy mind would be most useful and an incentive to train the mind in happiness……as opposed to the pursuit of pleasure as a hollow and false substitute for that specific fruit of the Spirit.  Can one be happy without religious experience and progress and that transcendent perspective outside one’s own self importance?

Is this definition more universal and less mortal in its application?  For all who survive the world of birth must be religious and have religion.  Do all mortal minds attended to by the Spirits of the Father, Mother, and Son have “religion” inherently?  Thanks.

Gene
    Participant

My point may very well be simple imagination gone astray but when one psych studies success as opposed to the other who studies what I would call failure – or disease- it represents progress. Even with a person who clings to humanism or athiesim.

success is to me so similar to what TUB represents. Like telling biologists to study the healing process. Which is best to spend effort on study disease or the healing process?

i know one atheist that will deny God but do so many Godlike things.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Like telling biologists to study the healing process. Which is best to spend effort on study disease or the healing process?

Well, having been in medicine all of my adult life, I have to say that you can’t study the healing process unless you study the disease.  Likewise, I don’t think you can have wisdom without recognizing both your failures and your successes.  If you’re only looking at your successes, you’re not facing reality.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: Psychology, by human definition, entails much in mind I would not define as “religious or religion”.  So what’s being said here?

As I understand it, theology is the psychology of religion, so psychology can be about religion on the material level of existence. I would venture to say that the psyche, when it enters the seventh psychic circle, is dominated by the urge for religion.

5:5.6 Religious experience, being essentially spiritual, can never be fully understood by the material mind; hence the function of theology, the psychology of religion.

In fact, psychology is involved in prayer as well. It is the material psyche searching for a higher form of thought, the supermaterial level of the soul.

91:3.6 Prayer ever has been and ever will be a twofold human experience: a psychologic procedure interassociated with a spiritual technique. And these two functions of prayer can never be fully separated.

Is “the study of another’s religion” all of psychology or just an element of psychology?

If religion is defined as a mode of living devoted to some reality that a person deems to be of value to himself and others, then a person’s religion will dictate his psychological state.

Since not individuals are devoted to some reality, I can’t say that all of psychology is involved in religion.  There are mental illnesses, diseases, that affect the psyche and divorce an individual from reality or from the ability to be devoted to something of value.  In that case, I think psychopathology is different from psychology.  But I’m not an expert in psychology, so someone else should probably approach that one.

Bradly wrote: I think the psychology of the happy mind vs. the unhappy mind would be most useful and an incentive to train the mind in happiness……as opposed to the pursuit of pleasure as a hollow and false substitute for that specific fruit of the Spirit.

Do you really think you can train the mind to be happy?  I used to think so, and read a lot of self-help books about changing my attitude to happy-flappy the world is my oyster type of thinking.  But I have come to realize that happiness is the result of training the mind to focus on reality, not on happiness.  Human ideas about happiness change like the wind.  True happiness is a coordinated and balanced personality, a personality who can equitably negotiate between itself and other selves with an edge toward selfless interest in others.

That is what psychology is about really, learning what makes others tick, what are they devoted to, what are their values, what motivates their lives and makes them happy.  It is the study of another person’s religion, or mode of living.  However, I do think that psychology is a material mind level phenomenon.  I don’t think it applies to the soul.  The soul is superpsychological.

Bradly wrote: Do all mortal minds attended to by the Spirits of the Father, Mother, and Son have “religion” inherently?

Yes.  The spirits of worship and wisdom are enough to create the religious urge.  Once entering the seventh circle, there is an overlapping of mind ministries and a down-reaching of divinity, which always strives to draw the mind toward spirit.  You would have to actively and knowingly fight it in order to not have religion on some level.  Some do, apparently.

36:5.11 6. The spirit of worship the religious impulse, the first differential urge separating mind creatures into the two basic classes of mortal existence. The spirit of worship forever distinguishes the animal of its association from the soulless creatures of mind endowment. Worship is the badge of spiritual-ascension candidacy.

92:02-3  The adjutant of worship — the appearance in animal consciousness of superanimal potentials for reality perception. This might be termed the primordial human instinct for Deity.  The adjutant of wisdom — the manifestation in a worshipful mind of the tendency to direct its adoration in higher channels of expression and toward ever-expanding concepts of Deity reality.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Maybe this is instructive:

From 103:6.1  “Theology is the study of the actions and reactions of the human spirit; it can never become a science since it must always be combined more or less with psychology in its personal expression and with philosophy in its systematic portrayal. Theology is always the study of your religion; the study of another’s religion is psychology.”

Georges du Pont reminded me of this at a UAI symposium.  It was a sea change for me at the time.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Mark, did you read  post #19502?  That’s the quote we’re talking about.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 100 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.