Humanity is on the verge of a global nuclear war

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Humanity is on the verge of a global nuclear war

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

War, for example:

68:3.4[Part III]
    Hunger and love drove men together; vanity and ghost fear held them together. But these emotions alone, without the influence of peace-promoting revelations, are unable to endure the strain of the suspicions and irritations of human interassociations. Without help from superhuman sources the strain of society breaks down upon reaching certain limits, and these very influences of social mobilization — hunger, love, vanity, and fear — conspire to plunge mankind into war and bloodshed.
    70:1.1[Part III]
    War is the natural state and heritage of evolving man; peace is the social yardstick measuring civilization’s advancement. Before the partial socialization of the advancing races man was exceedingly individualistic, extremely suspicious, and unbelievably quarrelsome. Violence is the law of nature, hostility the automatic reaction of the children of nature, while war is but these same activities carried on collectively. And wherever and whenever the fabric of civilization becomes stressed by the complications of society’s advancement, there is always an immediate and ruinous reversion to these early methods of violent adjustment of the irritations of human interassociations.
    0:1.2[Part III]
    War is an animalistic reaction to misunderstandings and irritations; peace attends upon the civilized solution of all such problems and difficulties. The Sangik races, together with the later deteriorated Adamites and Nodites, were all belligerent. The Andonites were early taught the golden rule, and, even today, their Eskimo descendants live very much by that code; custom is strong among them, and they are fairly free from violent antagonisms.
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    I am guilty of the sensationalized headline. I accept that. But if you read the content you’d see that the headline grossly misrepresents the content. Don’t judge a book by its cover (title) :-) Still, how’d you get fear out of the post?  Also, I did not delve into politics. Myself and Midi were throwing around opinions regarding the situation on the Korean peninsula. I think you read too much into the thread. Its purpose was to line up a revelation with a possible nuclear war.

BB, you titled this topic “Humanity is on the verge of a global nuclear war”. That is a declarative statement. It’s a headline one might find on a throwaway newspaper meant to get people to buy a copy. It incites fear and alarm. If you want to talk about war, fine, but not politics. This is an apolitical forum. I found that fact out here last November. Please curb the politics.

BB

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Mara, also, TUB is filled with entries on politics. It would be quite challenging  to refrain from speaking on politics if the topic is TUB. Now I’d understand if the political discussion did not center on TUB, but politics and TUB go hand in hand. I can reference some entries if you like.

BB

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Myself and Midi were throwing around opinions. . .

You were out in the weeds.  Here’s something to think about:

70:1.7[Part III]
    Warfare persists because man is human, evolved from an animal, and all animals are bellicose. Among the early causes of war were:

(784.4)70:1.8 1. Hunger, which led to food raids. Scarcity of land has always brought on war, and during these struggles the early peace tribes were practically exterminated.

(784.5)70:1.9 2. Woman scarcity — an attempt to relieve a shortage of domestic help. Woman stealing has always caused war.

(784.6)70:1.10 3. Vanity — the desire to exhibit tribal prowess. Superior groups would fight to impose their mode of life upon inferior peoples.

(784.7)70:1.11 4. Slaves — need of recruits for the labor ranks.

(784.8)70:1.12 5. Revenge was the motive for war when one tribe believed that a neighboring tribe had caused the death of a fellow tribesman. Mourning was continued until a head was brought home. The war for vengeance was in good standing right on down to comparatively modern times.

(784.9)70:1.13 6. Recreation —war was looked upon as recreation by the young men of these early times. If no good and sufficient pretext for war arose, when peace became oppressive, neighboring tribes were accustomed to go out in semifriendly combat to engage in a foray as a holiday, to enjoy a sham battle.

(784.10)70:1.14 7. Religion — the desire to make converts to the cult. The primitive religions all sanctioned war. Only in recent times has religion begun to frown upon war. The early priesthoods were, unfortunately, usually allied with the military power. One of the great peace moves of the ages has been the attempt to separate church and state.

But war is becoming culturally bankrupt.

70:2.9 [Part III]
    War has had a certain evolutionary and selective value, but like slavery, it must sometime be abandoned as civilization slowly advances. Olden wars promoted travel and cultural intercourse; these ends are now better served by modern methods of transport and communication. Olden wars strengthened nations, but modern struggles disrupt civilized culture. Ancient warfare resulted in the decimation of inferior peoples; the net result of modern conflict is the selective destruction of the best human stocks. Early wars promoted organization and efficiency, but these have now become the aims of modern industry. During past ages war was a social ferment which pushed civilization forward; this result is now better attained by ambition and invention. Ancient warfare supported the concept of a God of battles, but modern man has been told that God is love. War has served many valuable purposes in the past, it has been an indispensable scaffolding in the building of civilization, but it is rapidly becoming culturally bankrupt — incapable of producing dividends of social gain in any way commensurate with the terrible losses attendant upon its invocation.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    But, now peace pursuits might avail.
    70:2.21[Part III]
    But even in passing, war should be honored as the school of experience which compelled a race of arrogant individualists to submit themselves to highly concentrated authority — a chief executive. Old-fashioned war did select the innately great men for leadership, but modern war no longer does this. To discover leaders society must now turn to the conquests of peace: industry, science, and social achievement.
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    lmao. Okay, Mary  ;-)
    You were out in the weeds.

BB

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Debate didn’t prevent war.

70:5.5[Part III]
    It has been hard for mankind to learn that neither peace nor war can be run by a debating society. The primitive “palavers” were seldom useful. The race early learned that an army commanded by a group of clan heads had no chance against a strong one-man army. War has always been a kingmaker.
    And debate can’t keep the peace!
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Why war?

111:4.10[Part III]
    Ideas may take origin in the stimuli of the outer world, but ideals are born only in the creative realms of the inner world. Today the nations of the world are directed by men who have a superabundance of ideas, but they are poverty-stricken in ideals. That is the explanation of poverty, divorce, war, and racial hatreds.
    111:4.11 [Part III]
    This is the problem: If freewill man is endowed with the powers of creativity in the inner man, then must we recognize that freewill creativity embraces the potential of freewill destructivity. And when creativity is turned to destructivity, you are face to face with the devastation of evil and sin — oppression, war, and destruction. Evil is a partiality of creativity which tends toward disintegration and eventual destruction. All conflict is evil in that it inhibits the creative function of the inner life — it is a species of civil war in the personality.
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    What you know about this, Mara? :good:
    War, huh, yeah
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing
    War, huh, yeah
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing
    Say it again, why’all
    War, huh, good god
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing, listen to me
    Oh, war, I despise
    ‘Cause it means destruction of innocent lives
    War means tears to thousands of mothers eyes
    When their sons go to fight
    And lose their lives
    I said, war, huh good god, why’all
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing say it again
    War, whoa, lord
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing, listen to me
    it ain’t nothing but a heart-breaker
    (War) friend only to the undertaker
    Oh, war it’s an enemy to all mankind
    The point of war blows my mind
    War has caused unrest
    Within the younger generation
    Induction then destruction
    Who wants to die, ah, war-huh, good god why’all
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing
    Say it, say it, say it
    War, huh
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing listen to me
    it ain’t nothing but a heart breaker
    (War) it’s got one friend that’s the undertaker
    Oh, war, has shattered many a young mans dreams
    Made him disabled, bitter and mean
    Life is much to short and precious
    To spend fighting wars these days
    War can’t give life
    It can only take it away
    Oh, war, huh good god why’all
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing say it again
    whoa, lord
    What is it good for
    Absolutely nothing listen to me
    it ain’t nothing but a heart breaker
    (War) friend only to the undertaker
    Peace, love and understanding
    Tell me, is there no place for them today
    They say we must fight to keep our freedom
    But lord knows there’s got to be a better way
    Oh, war, huh good god why’all
    What is it good for you tell me
    Say it, say it, say it, say it
    huh good god why’all
    What is it good for
    Stand up and shout it nothing
    Credits:
    Songwriters: Barret Strong / Norman Whitfield
    War lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Why war?

111:4.10[Part III]
    Ideas may take origin in the stimuli of the outer world, but ideals are born only in the creative realms of the inner world. Today the nations of the world are directed by men who have a superabundance of ideas, but they are poverty-stricken in ideals. That is the explanation of poverty, divorce, war, and racial hatreds.

BB

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Personally, I am horrified by the ravages of war.  The images are unbearable.  As far as I’m concerned, there are no winners. No one wins. Our civilizations are in troublous times.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Agreed

Personally, I am horrified by the ravages of war. The images are unbearable. As far as I’m concerned, there are no winners. No one wins. Our civilizations are in troublous times.

BB

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

But,

32:5.2   The events of time and the struggles of material existence are but the transient scaffolding which bridges over to the other side, to the promised land of spiritual reality and supernal existence.

In the meantime, we must do what we can  in the here and now to comfort those who’ve experienced the grief of war.  We have to do the footwork to help our wounded brethren, if we’ve been called to do that work.  There is so much suffering visible on TV.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Yes, we must extend our hand of help to those affected by war or even natural disasters like Hurricane Harvey that has devasted 10s of thousands of Texans. I consider how fortunate I am at the present when I see families lose everything in a matter of hours. Heartbreaking situation in Texas.

But,

32:5.2 The events of time and the struggles of material existence are but the transient scaffolding which bridges over to the other side, to the promised land of spiritual reality and supernal existence.

In the meantime, we must do what we can in the here and now to comfort those who’ve experienced the grief of war. We have to do the footwork to help our wounded brethren, if we’ve been called to do that work. There is so much suffering visible on TV.

BB

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Rodan said, “All too often, when we battle for the right, it turns out that both the victor and the vanquished have sustained defeat.”

160:3.4[Part IV]
    My philosophy tells me that there are times when I must fight, if need be, for the defense of my concept of righteousness, but I doubt not that the Master, with a more mature type of personality, would easily and gracefully gain an equal victory by his superior and winsome technique of tact and tolerance. All too often, when we battle for the right, it turns out that both the victor and the vanquished have sustained defeat. I heard the Master say only yesterday that the “wise man, when seeking entrance through the locked door, would not destroy the door but rather would seek for the key wherewith to unlock it.” Too often we engage in a fight merely to convince ourselves that we are not afraid.
    But there is only one battle and that is against doubt — unbelief. (159:3.8 )
    To doubting Thomas Jesus said, “Kingdom builders, the accredited citizens of the heavenly worlds, are not to be disturbed by temporal upheavals or perturbed by terrestrial cataclysms. What does it matter to you who believe this gospel of the kingdom if nations overturn, the age ends, or all things visible crash, since you know that your life is the gift of the Son, and that it is eternally secure in the Father? Having lived the temporal life by faith and having yielded the fruits of the spirit as the righteousness of loving service for your fellows, you can confidently look forward to the next step in the eternal career with the same survival faith that has carried you through your first and earthly adventure in sonship with God.”  (176:3.2 )
    He said, “The downfall of nations, the crash of empires, the destruction of the unbelieving Jews, the end of an age, even the end of the world, what have these things to do with one who believes this gospel, and who has hid his life in the surety of the eternal kingdom? You who are God-knowing and gospel-believing have already received the assurances of eternal life. Since your lives have been lived in the spirit and for the Father, nothing can be of serious concern to you.”  (176:3.2 )

Teams of people are trying to solve present day national and world problems.  Let’s hope those teams take us forward, not backward.

Keryn
    Participant

As pointed out on page one of this thread, there is a cosmic plan for evacuating Urantia, should it come to that.  While TUB doesn’t specifically say, I am personally convinced that if such a migration occurs, we will be none the wiser.  The Life Carriers and other celestial organizers will make it such that our minds will not recognize anything amiss from our current existence.

Heck, it could have already happened while you were reading this thread!

In the meantime, should any of us be so unfortunate as to suffer the physical devastation and illness associated with nuclear war, it is from our suffering in life that growth occurs.  All we can do is hold fast to our faith and continue to seek out Truth, Beauty and Love.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 73 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.