Creative/critical reading as an approach to comprehending UB

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Creative/critical reading as an approach to comprehending UB

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

BB….looking forward to your examples to come.  And here’s a link to the last topic by a very similar name for student review:

"Creative reading"… Are we allowed to approach UB in that manner?

Very important topic BB!!  Understanding, discernment, comprehension, speculation, logic, reason, intuition and insight, etc.

:good:

Anonymous
    Inactive

So….what then might the purpose of speculation be in this circumstance or that which is “…utterly beyond the comprehension of the finite mind….” and “…are impossible of mortal comprehension.”?? Logic, reason, analysis, and creative/critical reading will not bring more comprehension I do not think than the information provided for our education and illumination in Paper 11…and elsewhere.

It is interesting that one can indicate that something is “…utterly beyond the comprehension of the finite mind…” then also to indicate that it is also “impossible of mortal comprehension”, being stated in the UB, as regards the following quote; and then to confirm that this narrative, is “clear enough for me, according to my comprehension”, which is okay for some, but would also imply no “comprehension” of that which has been deemed as being “impossible of mortal comprehension.”  Therefore one might assume that that which cannot be comprehended must be taken by faith alone?  However, everyone’s faith or belief is unique to their own experiences and cannot be expected to be understood the same way by others having different experiences and knowledge.  Why then should everyone be required to take on an-other’s comprehension as not being literal as they see it.  Closing one’s mind to other comprehension’s, closes one’s mind to possibilities yet to be discovered.

I find the description/definition of Paradise clear enough for me, according to my comprehension:

The Eternal Isle of Paradise
    11:0.1 (118.1) PARADISE is the eternal center of the universe of universes and the abiding place of the Universal Father, the Eternal Son, the Infinite Spirit, and their divine co-ordinates and associates. This central Isle is the most gigantic organized body of cosmic reality in all the master universe. Paradise is a material sphere as well as a spiritual abode. All of the intelligent creation of the Universal Father is domiciled on material abodes; hence must the absolute controlling center also be material, literal. And again it should be reiterated that spirit things and spiritual beings are real.

The use of the word “hence” may be defined “as an inference from this fact” or “for this reason” or replaced with “therefore”, where it must either be considered as “figurative or metaphorical” but not when based on the use of the word “literal”, where I can agree “that spirit things and spiritual beings are real.”  Where the following UB quote uses “hence” and a form of “material abode” as associated with something being controlled, which can also be associated to the narration above.

(638.1) 56:1.3 Gravity unification is universal and unvarying; pure-energy response is likewise universal and inescapable. Pure energy (primordial force) and pure spirit are wholly preresponsive to gravity. These primal forces, inhering in the Absolutes, are personally controlled by the Universal Father; hence does all gravity center in the personal presence of the Paradise Father of pure energy and pure spirit and in his supermaterial abode.

Yet has been presented as being personally controlled by “the Paradise Father” which is also, “domiciled on material abodes” or “material sphere as well”, thereby also including our material sphere called Urantia.  Could this indicate that our sphere resides within paradise where it has been stated that we live within the Father Himself?

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Bradly, I read the quote differently. To me, it is saying or confirming Paradise as literally a material plane, but it does not preclude Paradise from other states of reality as indicated in the following revelation:
    0:4.11 PARADISE is a term inclusive of the personal and the nonpersonal focal Absolutes of all phases of universe reality. Paradise, properly qualified, may connote any and all forms of reality, Deity, divinity, personality, and energy — spiritual, mindal, or material. All share Paradise as the place of origin, function, and destiny, as regards values, meanings, and factual existence.
    Thus we know Paradise also to be mindal. And it is with mind we are capable of generating meanings and values by applying creative literary devices besides other methods.

I find the description/definition of Paradise clear enough for me, according to my comprehension: The Eternal Isle of Paradise 11:0.1 (118.1) PARADISE is the eternal center of the universe of universes and the abiding place of the Universal Father, the Eternal Son, the Infinite Spirit, and their divine co-ordinates and associates. This central Isle is the most gigantic organized body of cosmic reality in all the master universe. Paradise is a material sphere as well as a spiritual abode. All of the intelligent creation of the Universal Father is domiciled on material abodes; hence must the absolute controlling center also be material, literal. And again it should be reiterated that spirit things and spiritual beings are real. 11:0.2 (118.2) The material beauty of Paradise consists in the magnificence of its physical perfection; the grandeur of the Isle of God is exhibited in the superb intellectual accomplishments and mind development of its inhabitants; the glory of the central Isle is shown forth in the infinite endowment of divine spirit personality — the light of life. But the depths of the spiritual beauty and the wonders of this magnificent ensemble are utterly beyond the comprehension of the finite mind of material creatures. The glory and spiritual splendor of the divine abode are impossible of mortal comprehension. And Paradise is from eternity; there are neither records nor traditions respecting the origin of this nuclear Isle of Light and Life. So….what then might the purpose of speculation be in this circumstance or that which is “…utterly beyond the comprehension of the finite mind….” and “…are impossible of mortal comprehension.”?? Logic, reason, analysis, and creative/critical reading will not bring more comprehension I do not think than the information provided for our education and illumination in Paper 11…and elsewhere.

BB

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Here is one example:
    There are three expressions of the Mansion World:
    1. Mansion World of the Afterlife.
    2. Mansion World of the dream world.
    3. Mansion World of wake life (Urantia).

I came to the above idea based on a the descriptor used by Revelators, “sleeping survivors.” These personalities are awakened on the Mansion world. The term “sleep” can be viewed in a few ways. For instance, you can experience the (1) sleep of death, (2) natural sleep, and (3) conscious unawareness sleep. And these correspond to the three states of the Mansion world I mentioned.  Further, the three states are analogous to spiritual, literal (physical) and mindal phases.

1. Spiritual = dream world mansion
    2. Literal = afterlife mansion
    3. Mindal = real-time mansion
    Becoming consciously aware is a part of the Mansion world training, which one can experience while in the here-and-now. Even dreams can link one to the mansion world. Literal/physical death is not an exclusive, prerequisite to beginning the Mansion World career.

BB….looking forward to your examples to come. And here’s a link to the last topic by a very similar name for student review:

“Creative reading”… Are we allowed to approach UB in that manner?

Very important topic BB!! Understanding, discernment, comprehension, speculation, logic, reason, intuition and insight, etc. :good:

BB

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Here is one example: There are three expressions of the Mansion World: Mansion World of the Afterlife. Mansion World of the dream world. Mansion World of wake life (Urantia).

I realize these are your interpretations.  I suspect the thinkers on this forum will push back on these ideas.  You’re going to have to delve into definitions of the phases you’ve made up for example.  And then you’re going to have to provide supporting material from the book.  I appreciate that you are trying to comprehend these matters.  For example: what do the revelators mean when they refer to a mansion world?

47:9.5  You will greatly enjoy your progress through the seven dematerializing worlds; they are really demortalizing spheres. You are mostly human on the first mansion world, just a mortal being minus a material body, a human mind housed in a morontia form — a material body of the morontia world but not a mortal house of flesh and blood. You really pass from the mortal state to the immortal status at the time of Adjuster fusion, and by the time you have finished the Jerusem career, you will be full-fledged morontians.
    48:2.22  While the basic morontia forms of life and matter are identical from the first mansion world to the last universe transition sphere, there is a functional progression which gradually extends from the material to the spiritual. Your adaptation to this basically uniform but successively advancing and spiritizing creation is effected by this selective re-keying. Such an adjustment in the mechanism of personality is tantamount to a new creation, notwithstanding that you retain the same morontia form.
    There is a continuity to life, once initiated on an evolutionary world. As a sleeping survivor the individual is completely not conscious, not awake and not dreaming.
    0:4.15  The physical body of mortal flesh is not a part of the reassembly of the sleeping survivor; the physical body has returned to dust. The seraphim of assignment sponsors the new body, the morontia form, as the new life vehicle for the immortal soul and for the indwelling of the returned Adjuster. The Adjuster is the custodian of the spirit transcript of the mind of the sleeping survivor. The assigned seraphim is the keeper of the surviving identity — the immortal soul — as far as it has evolved. And when these two, the Adjuster and the seraphim, reunite their personality trusts, the new individual constitutes the resurrection of the old personality, the survival of the evolving morontia identity of the soul. Such a reassociation of soul and Adjuster is quite properly called a resurrection, a reassembly of personality factors; but even this does not entirely explain the reappearance of the surviving personality. Though you will probably never understand the fact of such an inexplicable transaction, you will sometime experientially know the truth of it if you do not reject the plan of mortal survival.
    47:3.3  The mortal-mind transcripts and the active creature-memory patterns as transformed from the material levels to the spiritual are the individual possession of the detached Thought Adjusters; these spiritized factors of mind, memory, and creature personality are forever a part of such Adjusters. The creature mind-matrix and the passive potentials of identity are present in the morontia soul intrusted to the keeping of the seraphic destiny guardians. And it is the reuniting of the morontia-soul trust of the seraphim and the spirit-mind trust of the Adjuster that reassembles creature personality and constitutes resurrection of a sleeping survivor.
    112:5.16  The situation which makes repersonalization possible is brought about in the resurrection halls of the morontia receiving planets of a local universe. Here in these life-assembly chambers the supervising authorities provide that relationship of universe energy — morontial, mindal, and spiritual — which makes possible the reconsciousizing of the sleeping survivor. The reassembly of the constituent parts of a onetime material personality involves: [. . .]
    The book nixes dream life value.
    Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant
    (110:5.4) While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind, and some of your grotesque dreams indicate their failure to make efficient contact. The absurdities of dream life not only testify to pressure of unexpressed emotions but also bear witness to the horrible distortion of the representations of the spiritual concepts presented by the Adjusters. Your own passions, urges, and other innate tendencies translate themselves into the picture and substitute their unexpressed desires for the divine messages which the indwellers are endeavoring to put into the psychic records during unconscious sleep.
    “While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind,”
    I still wonder what’s going on when this is happening while we sleep, and how it relates to the happenings of our waking spiritual experiences.
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hello BB.

I don’t understand what you are trying to demonstrate or illustrate by your example.  We do begin our ‘morontial’ life on the planets of mortality…by the birth of soul and those choices and experiences which have survival value and add to soul and by the discovery of meanings and values discerned in the life lived on the planet of birth.  But the mansion worlds are specific places with specific purposes which are not attainable by dream or by consciousness….or so I understand.  We are advised that the current world of our habitations should receive most of our attention…on each world traversed through time and ascension.

Being inspired in and by our imagination to strive for union with the Spirit within and anticipate the adventures to come offers value.  I wonder what value you find in your example?   You appear to be reaching for some conclusion or proposition in your presentation of premises of representation.  But you’ve not yet (to me) demonstrated the first:  3 forms of mansion worlds.  We are not on a mansion world and dreams will not take us to the mansion worlds truly.   But I am curious as to your point?  Your lists do not correlate with each other it appears but not sure that helps me anyway.  If a premise is faulty so will its conclusion or proposition be also.

It doesn’t matter or make sense to dispute your theoretical abstractions….but what meaning and value do they bring you?  How is your understanding of this life or the next enhanced by this example of creative/critical reading?

It seems if one believes the UB is what it claims to be….the factual presentation of reality for the purpose of correcting and clarifying, reducing confusion and eliminating errors for a better understanding of reality to assist us in our spiritual identity and personal transformations with a clearer perspective based on such a factual presentation…..that, perhaps, the authors meant what they wrote and wrote what they meant to convey?  If one does not believe the book to be a factual presentation….then why recreate it figuratively at all?

If there were a real time, dream time, and after death time mansion world or mansion world experience, why not say so instead of writing dozens of pages of detailed description of them and how we arrive and when…arriving after physical death on spheres always in real-time in real locations after the slumber, short or long, between our departure of this world and arrival at the next.  So, have you self discovered meanings or value helpful to your understanding of what is described in the Papers?….or is this construct some form of contradiction to the Papers, as it appears so far?  A supporting construct that brings some form of illumination to mind or a substitution for what we read in the UB?

Creative/critical reading, to my understanding, is not to deny what’s read but to discover meanings and value that requires thinking, getting deeper into the words being read….it’s not about jumbling concepts or redefining them in order to re-write them  according to our own inventions of definitions… that would be creative writing rather than reading I think.  Perhaps this is not a good example?  More likely I’m just not, yet, understanding the example or your explanation of it?

chucksmith1982
    Participant

I haven’t read all of this thread, but I’d like to caushon against to much implication. Implying basically means to read into something. The only problem with that is all to often we read into something things that are not there. I think that when we imply something based on something that we read into the Urantia Book we should be very very careful not to read what we want to read into the text. Implication can be dangerous ground if we are not careful.

On the other hand, implication could be a good thing. It encourages the use of the mind. It allows for speculation. It sharpens the intellect.

It is a slippery slope to tread. On one hand it can keep the mind sharp. On the other hand it can lead to some of the wildest, most distructive things imaginable.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant
    I think that when we imply something based on something that we read into the Urantia Book we should be very very careful not to read what we want to read into the text. Implication can be dangerous ground if we are not careful.
    I’m certain that everyone does this, reads into the text things that aren’t there. It’s unavoidable. But in time, our Adjusters deliver us from all of these errors, and much more.
    Anonymous
    Inactive

… I’d like to caushon against to much implication. Implying basically means to read into something.

According to the dictionary, “implying” — “to indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated”, was a common practice by Jesus when He used parables to teach, which required the hearer or now the reader, of these parables, to implicate His meaning as they may have understood His words.  It is evident, even now, from the contributions on this forum, that Jesus’ implications made through His parables, may still be misunderstood or not, but implication is used by many, even the contributor above, to present, “indicate or suggest without being explicitly stated”.

It is a slippery slope to tread. On one hand it can keep the mind sharp. On the other hand it can lead to some of the wildest, most distructive things imaginable.

The statement above is a prime example of “implicating” something, without presenting a full description of meaning, therefore making implication no more or less then personal opinion.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It seems if one believes the UB is what it claims to be….the factual presentation of reality for the purpose of correcting and clarifying, reducing confusion and eliminating errors for a better understanding of reality to assist us in our spiritual identity and personal transformations with a clearer perspective based on such a factual presentation…..that, perhaps, the authors meant what they wrote and wrote what they meant to convey? If one does not believe the book to be a factual presentation….then why recreate it figuratively at all?

I’m curious, as to the definition presented above (bolded), which seems to imply what “the UB is what it claims to be…”, where “reality” is used twice, although “reality” is used over 800 times in the UB, which would indicate that this word have many meanings as used within the text, somewhat contradicts any specific meaning that “the authors meant what they wrote and wrote what they meant to convey?”

Therefore, if the authors are so clear in their presentation, it should then be obvious on a group basis, that the individual’s definition as stated above, is based on creative/critical comprehension, so implied, making it only one persons opinion.  Being a personal figurative explanation of the purpose of the UB, would then recreate its meaning, based on the implication of the reader.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

It would be important to differentiate the use of parables by Jesus and the Papers  themselves.  The parables are repeated by Jesus and most often  then explained within the Papers, as is the purpose and value of their application at the time with great specificity.  The Papers are not a set of parables or allegories and neither is the total work by so many authors metaphorical constructs.  There is always the potential for going down the rabbit hole, as per Chuck’s wise warning – it is not so difficult to transpose our personal misperceptions and misconceptions onto the Papers which tends to distort and obscure both the content and the meaning away from its stated intentions….greater understanding.  People are susceptible to prejudice…the loyalty to their own  opinions and perspectives.

The first step in critical reading is the attempt for objectivity….as prejudice is specifically subjective.  According to the website BB posted the link to, the imposition of one’s personal view, knowledge, and experience of art or the written word comes later….first comes objective analysis to determine the intent, subjectivity, content, agenda, motive….and message written…objectively….for a subjective comparison and contrast and, perhaps, completion of ‘conclusion’.  For success one must know of and apply classical logic and reasoning objectively to weigh and measure whether there is any meaning of any value in reading and understanding WHAT IS WRITTEN and thereby to glean what is inferred, suggested, implied, obscured, intended, or otherwise finding meanings BEHIND the words, now in addition to the words themselves.

One purpose of creative/critical reading is to measure the subjectivity and objectivity of the author….and do so with objectivity first.  Applying subjective responses/reactions onto another’s subjective writing is pure distortion X 2….rhetoric meets rhetoric.  One key to such reading is to measure the writer’s attempt at persuasion…. a form of rhetoricalization.   This is a normal conversational and argumentative form of listening and responding….subjectivity bumps into subjectivity reaction and that reaction begins a chain reaction that loses all objectivity….and value?

For those who are interested the site is useful…and the page link below is a good place to navigate from.  What’s presented is a worthy skill set for us all to gain from in our studies.  Interestingly, there’s nothing I’ve found about deconstruction of writing for the purpose of reconstruction or rewriting….it’s about better understanding of what we read and how to determine both the meanings and the value of those meanings in what we read.  Basic stuff but a very interesting presentation format for study.  Academic stuff.  The ultimate purpose of which is forming writing skills for one’s own expressions…something good for all forumites, bloggers, and aspiring authors!

http://www.criticalreading.com/critical_reading_core.htm

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

It seems if one believes the UB is what it claims to be….the factual presentation of reality for the purpose of correcting and clarifying, reducing confusion and eliminating errors for a better understanding of reality to assist us in our spiritual identity and personal transformations with a clearer perspective based on such a factual presentation…..that, perhaps, the authors meant what they wrote and wrote what they meant to convey? If one does not believe the book to be a factual presentation….then why recreate it figuratively at all?

I’m curious, as to the definition presented above (bolded), which seems to imply what “the UB is what it claims to be…”, where “reality” is used twice, although “reality” is used over 800 times in the UB, which would indicate that this word have many meanings as used within the text, somewhat contradicts any specific meaning that “the authors meant what they wrote and wrote what they meant to convey?” Therefore, if the authors are so clear in their presentation, it should then be obvious on a group basis, that the individual’s definition as stated above, is based on creative/critical comprehension, so implied, making it only one persons opinion. Being a personal figurative explanation of the purpose of the UB, would then recreate its meaning, based on the implication of the reader.

An interesting point!  Have you referenced the site yet that BB posted?

One of the important steps in creative/critical reading is the skill and ability to restate what’s read to demonstrate understanding of  that which is read….and this step does not include rewriting or the subjective interpretation….but do you understand what is written well enough to restate what is written in ways that others can also understand what is written….not what you think about what is written – another step in the multiple steps presented at the site.  There is no information there I’ve found to suggest any form of allegorization or methaphorical interpretations of that which is presented as factual information.  I don’t know where that comes from….except in the attempt to satisfy our own subjectivity demands to make things fit into our personal prejudices and reality construct….where some minds will naturally, inherently, and endlessly twist, distort, misstate, misquote, and in any and every way possible to find….self justification.

There’s nothing analytical, critical, or creative about such an approach to reading in general….and especially not the Revelation.

And I thought my restatement to be pretty good!!   ;-)

What do you think the authors claim the Papers to be?  Every student should be able to at least articulate that after a couple of reads, no?

Here’s mine again and certainly it could be better:

“….the factual presentation of reality for the purpose of correcting and clarifying, reducing confusion and eliminating errors for a better understanding of reality to assist us in our spiritual identity and personal transformations with a clearer perspective based on such a factual presentation…..”

From the page linked above:

Critical Reading, at its Core, Plain and Simple

“Non-critical (or pre-critical) reading is concerned with recognizing what a text says about the topic. The goal is to make sense of the presentation as a sequence of thoughts, to understand the information, ideas, and opinions stated within the text from sentence to sentence, paragraph to paragraph. This is a linear activity.

Critical reading is an analytic activity. The reader rereads a text to identify patterns of elements — information, values, assumptions, and language usage– throughout the discussion. These elements are tied together in an interpretation, an assertion of an underlying meaning of the text as a whole.

Critical thinking involves bringing outside knowledge, biases, and values to bear to evaluate the presentation and decide what ultimately to accept as true.

…….

In the end, readers must take control of the text, not just repeat its assertions. At its core, critical reading involves becoming the author of one’s own understanding.”

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    Basically, I presented my beliefs on the subject. They are speculation, admittedly, and are not derived directly from what is written in the papers.  To me, one can be mindally, physically and spiritually asleep; and the fact revelators avail themselves of the word “sleep” to describe a state the personality finds itself, post-mortem, indicates at least to me, the context in which the word is used can be interpreted in multiple ways.   And it is this understanding that allows me to infer that the mansion world exists in the mental, physical and spiritual planes of reality. One can experience the mansion worlds in the here-and-now.   We do not have to wait for death to go through this experience.

Here is one example: There are three expressions of the Mansion World: Mansion World of the Afterlife. Mansion World of the dream world. Mansion World of wake life (Urantia).

I realize these are your interpretations. I suspect the thinkers on this forum will push back on these ideas. You’re going to have to delve into definitions of the phases you’ve made up for example. And then you’re going to have to provide supporting material from the book. I appreciate that you are trying to comprehend these matters. For example: what do the revelators mean when they refer to a mansion world?

47:9.5 You will greatly enjoy your progress through the seven dematerializing worlds; they are really demortalizing spheres. You are mostly human on the first mansion world, just a mortal being minus a material body, a human mind housed in a morontia form — a material body of the morontia world but not a mortal house of flesh and blood. You really pass from the mortal state to the immortal status at the time of Adjuster fusion, and by the time you have finished the Jerusem career, you will be full-fledged morontians.
    48:2.22 While the basic morontia forms of life and matter are identical from the first mansion world to the last universe transition sphere, there is a functional progression which gradually extends from the material to the spiritual. Your adaptation to this basically uniform but successively advancing and spiritizing creation is effected by this selective re-keying. Such an adjustment in the mechanism of personality is tantamount to a new creation, notwithstanding that you retain the same morontia form.
    There is a continuity to life, once initiated on an evolutionary world. As a sleeping survivor the individual is completely not conscious, not awake and not dreaming.
    0:4.15 The physical body of mortal flesh is not a part of the reassembly of the sleeping survivor; the physical body has returned to dust. The seraphim of assignment sponsors the new body, the morontia form, as the new life vehicle for the immortal soul and for the indwelling of the returned Adjuster. The Adjuster is the custodian of the spirit transcript of the mind of the sleeping survivor. The assigned seraphim is the keeper of the surviving identity — the immortal soul — as far as it has evolved. And when these two, the Adjuster and the seraphim, reunite their personality trusts, the new individual constitutes the resurrection of the old personality, the survival of the evolving morontia identity of the soul. Such a reassociation of soul and Adjuster is quite properly called a resurrection, a reassembly of personality factors; but even this does not entirely explain the reappearance of the surviving personality. Though you will probably never understand the fact of such an inexplicable transaction, you will sometime experientially know the truth of it if you do not reject the plan of mortal survival.
    47:3.3 The mortal-mind transcripts and the active creature-memory patterns as transformed from the material levels to the spiritual are the individual possession of the detached Thought Adjusters; these spiritized factors of mind, memory, and creature personality are forever a part of such Adjusters. The creature mind-matrix and the passive potentials of identity are present in the morontia soul intrusted to the keeping of the seraphic destiny guardians. And it is the reuniting of the morontia-soul trust of the seraphim and the spirit-mind trust of the Adjuster that reassembles creature personality and constitutes resurrection of a sleeping survivor.
    112:5.16 The situation which makes repersonalization possible is brought about in the resurrection halls of the morontia receiving planets of a local universe. Here in these life-assembly chambers the supervising authorities provide that relationship of universe energy — morontial, mindal, and spiritual — which makes possible the reconsciousizing of the sleeping survivor. The reassembly of the constituent parts of a onetime material personality involves: [. . .]

BB

Anonymous
    Inactive

From the page linked above:

Critical Reading, at its Core, Plain and Simple

“Non-critical (or pre-critical) reading is concerned with recognizing what a text says about the topic. The goal is to make sense of the presentation as a sequence of thoughts, to understand the information, ideas, and opinions stated within the text from sentence to sentence, paragraph to paragraph. This is a linear activity.

Critical reading is an analytic activity. The reader rereads a text to identify patterns of elements — information, values, assumptions, and language usage– throughout the discussion. These elements are tied together in an interpretation, an assertion of an underlying meaning of the text as a whole.

Critical thinking involves bringing outside knowledge, biases, and values to bear to evaluate the presentation and decide what ultimately to accept as true.

…….

In the end, readers must take control of the text, not just repeat its assertions. At its core, critical reading involves becoming the author of one’s own understanding.”

The assumption would be, in its reproduction above, that you would agree with its statement or implication, in that you have highlighted in bold that: “At its core, critical reading involves becoming the author of one’s own understanding.” Which would be true to the individual readers understanding of the text.  However, this does not indicate that this personal understanding must be subjective to an-others objective viewpoint of the implied text.  This same implication is noted in the the following reproduction of “one’s own understanding” as presented below.

Here’s mine again and certainly it could be better:

“….the factual presentation of reality for the purpose of correcting and clarifying, reducing confusion and eliminating errors for a better understanding of reality to assist us in our spiritual identity and personal transformations with a clearer perspective based on such a factual presentation…..”

In its analysis, it can represent the subjective opinion of the author, however when broken down, a reader my question what might be meant by the “factual presentation of reality”, regardless of implied “purpose”, because to the author, this is subjective to his own understanding.  Then to indicate “to assist us in our spiritual identity” where this implies the author has no understanding as to their “spiritual identity”, until they receive “personal transformations” of many possible “perspective[s]”, where in this “factual presentation” is subjective to the author, not necessarily objective to other readers?

So, this becomes personal and in its repetition to others reflects an absolute, from the author, where it is no longer creative, but critical, and closed to additional comprehension.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 71 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.