What is spiritual brotherhood?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions What is spiritual brotherhood?

Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)
  • Author
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

On the value of friendliness and friendship, we are taught it is the fruit or outworking of those who are in the spiritual brotherhood.  Those who are not friendly find it difficult to hold friendship or fellowship in the spirit.  One may disagree, dispute, and debate with affection and kindness…..or not.  There’s that free will and self mastery thing again.  So much to learn and improve upon…………

180:1.6 (1945.3) Keep in mind: It is loyalty, not sacrifice, that Jesus demands. The consciousness of sacrifice implies the absence of that wholehearted affection which would have made such a loving service a supreme joy. The idea of duty signifies that you are servant-minded and hence are missing the mighty thrill of doing your service as a friend and for a friend. The impulse of friendship transcends all convictions of duty, and the service of a friend for a friend can never be called a sacrifice. The Master has taught the apostles that they are the sons of God. He has called them brethren, and now, before he leaves, he calls them his friends.

180:5.11 (1950.6) And so must we clearly recognize that neither the golden rule nor the teaching of nonresistance can ever be properly understood as dogmas or precepts. They can only be comprehended by living them, by realizing their meanings in the living interpretation of the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another.

180:5.12 (1951.1) And all this clearly indicates the difference between the old religion and the new. The old religion taught self-sacrifice; the new religion teaches only self-forgetfulness, enhanced self-realization in conjoined social service and universe comprehension. The old religion was motivated by fear-consciousness; the new gospel of the kingdom is dominated by truth-conviction, the spirit of eternal and universal truth. And no amount of piety or creedal loyalty can compensate for the absence in the life experience of kingdom believers of that spontaneous, generous, and sincere friendliness which characterizes the spirit-born sons of the living God. Neither tradition nor a ceremonial system of formal worship can atone for the lack of genuine compassion for one’s fellows.

171:7.1 (1874.4) Jesus spread good cheer everywhere he went. He was full of grace and truth. His associates never ceased to wonder at the gracious words that proceeded out of his mouth. You can cultivate gracefulness, but graciousness is the aroma of friendliness which emanates from a love-saturated soul.

171:7.2 (1874.5) Goodness always compels respect, but when it is devoid of grace, it often repels affection. Goodness is universally attractive only when it is gracious. Goodness is effective only when it is attractive.

180:5.8 (1950.3) But the highest realization and the truest interpretation of the golden rule consists in the consciousness of the spirit of the truth of the enduring and living reality of such a divine declaration. The true cosmic meaning of this rule of universal relationship is revealed only in its spiritual realization, in the interpretation of the law of conduct by the spirit of the Son to the spirit of the Father that indwells the soul of mortal man. And when such spirit-led mortals realize the true meaning of this golden rule, they are filled to overflowing with the assurance of citizenship in a friendly universe, and their ideals of spirit reality are satisfied only when they love their fellows as Jesus loved us all, and that is the reality of the realization of the love of God.

;-)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

171:7.2 (1874.5) Goodness always compels respect, but when it is devoid of grace, it often repels affection. Goodness is universally attractive only when it is gracious. Goodness is effective only when it is attractive.

One of my favorites, Bradly.  And here is another one:

171:7:1   Jesus spread good cheer everywhere he went. He was full of grace and truth. His associates never ceased to wonder at the gracious words that proceeded out of his mouth. You can cultivate gracefulness, but graciousness is the aroma of friendliness which emanates from a love-saturated soul.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

On the topic of spiritual brotherhood I’d like to go back to the definition of spiritual unity.

( 195:10:11 ) […] Spiritual unity is the fruit of faith union with the living Jesus.

To me this means a person has found the living Jesus, to have discovered him in the first place.  Even beforehand he already knows all about you/me/us.  He is waiting, standing by for the moment of discovery of him.  At least that’s how I describe my experience, looking in retrospect.  Much has been written about what is faith, but to demonstrate spiritual unity you/me/we go in partnership-faith-union with Jesus to bring forth the divine fruit, a living flavor  called spiritual unity.  Isn’t this flavor the savor of attractiveness bringing people together in the realization of the brotherhood of mankind?  Isn’t this what brings us together on this forum?  Spiritual brotherhood it seems to me encompasses all people who bear the sweet fruit of faith union with the living Jesus.  This living organism ( 195:10:11 ) is growing every day.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

:-)   Indeed Sister, indeed!!

Sabinatu
    Blocked

I made the only point the spirit, so to speak, moved me to make – that the “spiritual brotherhood” belongs to God, is in His keeping and entrance into the SPIRITUAL BROTHERHOOD is easy, the individual chooses to join it – tada!  If there is a caveat, it is that God ONLY accepts a free-will choice.

And The Spirit of Truth….?  I guess the Jesus-Comforter wanted SOMEONE to challenge whether Pope Francis said that people can be “good” without God – and the TRUTH is – he did not.  The perfidy on the internet is revolting and repulsive – all these 1%ers dragging humanity into endless psychobabble about their personal pet evils….and throwing their mechanistic crap like “greed is good” on those evil evil evil “Christians” – who CARES what a “greed is good” believer/follower – with the accompanying “isms” of Nihilism, Hedonism and Anarchy has to say about me, personally, about not passing their “graciousness” test!?  THEY do not need to pass the test, themselves, because the “baseline” was set BY THEM when they JUDGED that people who could not drone on in authoritative calm voice about “what is torture?” was devoid of GRACIOUSNESS.

Stay in your brotherhood and I’ll stay in mine.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

It is instructive to consider the fruits of the spirit that attract others and give witness to truth, beauty, and goodness….the light of the spiritual brotherhood.  True religious experience brings results….personally and socially we are taught.

99:4.1 (1089.9) Genuine religion renders the religionist socially fragrant and creates insights into human fellowship. But the formalization of religious groups many times destroys the very values for the promotion of which the group was organized. Human friendship and divine religion are mutually helpful and significantly illuminating if the growth in each is equalized and harmonized. Religion puts new meaning into all group associations — families, schools, and clubs. It imparts new values to play and exalts all true humor.

16:7.9 (193.8) Morality can never be advanced by law or by force. It is a personal and freewill matter and must be disseminated by the contagion of the contact of morally fragrant persons with those who are less morally responsive, but who are also in some measure desirous of doing the Father’s will.

16:7.10 (193.9) Moral acts are those human performances which are characterized by the highest intelligence, directed by selective discrimination in the choice of superior ends as well as in the selection of moral means to attain these ends. Such conduct is virtuous. Supreme virtue, then, is wholeheartedly to choose to do the will of the Father in heaven.

André
    André
    Participant

“We know that all things work together for good to those who love God” (55.2)

… Your brotherhood, my brotherhood, his/her brotherhood, good, bad and potential of bad. All the ”ism”, the ”ophy”, the ”ogy”…. The weeds, the wheats… You Name it!

Show mercy even to those who despite fully abuse you.” 178:1.17 Bradley
    They are so many pearls most of you dig out of UB and expose to us. In an uplifting, supportive, loving and merciful attitude.
    There has been years I am following you, reading, paying attention… Enjoying yours perspectives and lately I have experienced discomfort reading less loving, less merciful share from a minority of readers. Even, a beloved’s one Bonita slams the door out. I’d be tempted to do so myself… mumbling about it… I observe some of you who kindly respond, who ennobled everything they share despite your personal point of view or offensive opinion toward you . Looking for unity.
    And in my reflexion and inquiry …. understand, ”experiencingParable weeds and wheats 151:4.1

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thank you andre!!!!  A very welcome voice indeed.  The good news is that error is a vital contrast to good….there really can be no wheat without the tares to discern the difference and that as souls of ascendant potential, all tares may become the wheat given sufficient time and loving ministry.  We are blessed to have so many who give so much in service and love to others for our example.  We learn together how better to respond to both error and goodness.  Glad you are here.  May peace and joy attend you upon the pilgrim’s path.

4. Problems of Growth

100:4.1 (1097.5) Religious living is devoted living, and devoted living is creative living, original and spontaneous. New religious insights arise out of conflicts which initiate the choosing of new and better reaction habits in the place of older and inferior reaction patterns. New meanings only emerge amid conflict; and conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings.

100:4.2 (1097.6) Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving.

100:4.3 (1097.7) But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of love. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.

100:4.4 (1098.1) In physical life the senses tell of the existence of things; mind discovers the reality of meanings; but the spiritual experience reveals to the individual the true values of life. These high levels of human living are attained in the supreme love of God and in the unselfish love of man. If you love your fellow men, you must have discovered their values. Jesus loved men so much because he placed such a high value upon them. You can best discover values in your associates by discovering their motivation. If someone irritates you, causes feelings of resentment, you should sympathetically seek to discern his viewpoint, his reasons for such objectionable conduct. If once you understand your neighbor, you will become tolerant, and this tolerance will grow into friendship and ripen into love.

Me here:  Those who live in strife and turmoil amidst the edges of conflict and vicissitudes of material life and confusions and consternations are precious ones for the spiritual brotherhood to serve.

;-)

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:    SPIRITUAL BROTHERHOOD is easy, the individual chooses to join it – tada!
    Yes, Sabinatu  however, a brotherhood of one is not brotherhood, the name designates a group bonded by their faith in the Father’s guidance in their lives.
    Granted you have passionate views on the problem of materialism in society. I’m aware of the saying “good men and women of intelligence, who fail to take an active interest in the political process invariably end up governed by people lesser than themselves.”
    The world is filled with fence sitters who say “don’t rock the boat” we all know the “greed is good boat” is sinking. I say let it.
    This is no time for a dummy spit, there is only one Spiritual Brotherhood. The challenge for believers is to transfer the seat of identity to the soul.
    Forewarn all believers regarding the fringe of conflict which must be traversed by all who pass from the life as it is lived in the flesh to the higher life as it is lived in the spirit. To those who live quite wholly within either realm, there is little conflict or confusion, but all are doomed to experience more or less uncertainty during the times of transition between the two levels of living. In entering the kingdom, you cannot escape its responsibilities or avoid its obligations, but remember: The gospel yoke is easy and the burden of truth is light. [Paper159:3.7, page 1766.3]
    Many believers are experiencing that unsettling period during the times of transition between the two levels of living.

…Human beings, from a cosmic perspective, are born, live, and die in a relative instant of time; they are not enduring. But mortal personality, through its own choosing, possesses the power of transferring its seat of identity from the passing material-intellect system to the higher morontia-soul system which, in association with the Thought Adjuster, is created as a new vehicle for personality manifestation. [Paper112:5.4, page 1232:5]

Always is the power of choice uppermost.

And it is this very power of choice, the universe insignia of freewill creaturehood, that constitutes man’s greatest opportunity and his supreme cosmic responsibility.… [Paper112:5.5, page 1233:1]

Wen all is said and done, all of us alive today, are in the same class in this school of life, brothers & sisters together. Being appreciative of the unique treasure each is, is worth the effort and a delight to our Father who is the head of the family and smiles when siblings get on with each other. This world has seen too much divisiveness already, time for some unity and co-operation.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant

You do not have to see alike

or feel alike or even think alike

in order spiritually to be alike

[Paper 141:5.1, page 1591:6]

Viewing 10 posts - 226 through 235 (of 235 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.