Should we consider this:
51:5.7 (586.4) But while the pure-line children of a planetary Garden of Eden can bestow themselves upon the superior members of the evolutionary races and thereby upstep the biologic level of mankind, it would not prove beneficial for the higher strains of Urantia mortals to mate with the lower races; such an unwise procedure would jeopardize all civilization on your world. Having failed to achieve race harmonization by the Adamic technique, you must now work out your planetary problem of race improvement by other and largely human methods of adaptation and control.
I bolded the essential.
Now, what was the role and purpose of Adam and Eve on Urantia?
65:3.5 (734.2) Long before the Material Son and Daughter, the biologic uplifters, arrive on a planet, the human potentials of the evolving animal species have been exhausted.
They were brought to this world so that the local mankind could at least somehow import better genetic stocks. The mankind of that age on Urantia had no other choice.
74:0.1 (828.1) ADAM AND EVE arrived on Urantia, from the year A.D. 1934, 37,848 years ago. It was in midseason when the Garden was in the height of bloom that they arrived. At high noon and unannounced, the two seraphic transports, accompanied by the Jerusem personnel intrusted with the transportation of the biologic uplifters to Urantia, settled slowly to the surface of the revolving planet in the vicinity of the temple of the Universal Father.
Need I emphasize more? Well, I did anyway.
In eugenics there are many possible methods. One of them is eugenic immigration, and that happened 37,933 years ago. We should understand that they brought here really superior genes. One feature of genetic superiority was that the violet race could reproduce huge families, and their children could inbreed without any danger of inherited diseases, because their genes were perfect. The complete absence of all kinds of genetic disorders made that possible, even preferred.
Now we don’t have violet race among us anymore, and their genetic stocks have been amalgamated. However our current situation is far from hopeless. Because we have inherited their genetic stocks, we should do what we possibly can to increase the frequency of their superior genetic stocks. And that is eugenics by its original definition.
only coercion made it evil. Rick
… the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.
I am satisfied with definition of F. Galton.
Personally, the progress of “disease free” is a noble cause BUT coercion as you mentioned Rick is a fault because it wipe out free will.
Eugenics by itself it isn’t evil, immoral or wicked. It is a technique.
Eugenics: def. “… the study of or belief in the possibility of improving the qualities of the human species or a human population, especially by such means as discouraging reproduction by persons having genetic defects or presumed to have inheritable undesirable traits (negative eugenics) or encouraging reproduction by persons presumed …”
Done with maturity, balanced spirituality,responsibility, it will improved sane genes. That is what will make it (eugenics) efficient and eenhance humanity.
Gains that could be achieved:
76:4.7 (851.5) The body cells of the Material Sons and their progeny are far more resistant to disease than are those of the evolutionary beings indigenous to the planet. The body cells of the native races are akin to the living disease-producing microscopic and ultramicroscopic organisms of the realm. These facts explain why the Urantia peoples must do so much by way of scientific effort to withstand so many physical disorders. You would be far more disease resistant if your races carried more of the Adamic life.
So, it is not about color of eyes or hair. It is about health of future generations.
It was suggested that either some individuals should not reproduce at all or genes should be edited if they do. Those would be unnecessary because there are more options.
Let’s look at these phases of biological development of a human being:
- Separate gametes before fertilization. Each gamete contains only half genome of a human being.
- Fertilized egg (zygote). A zygote contains complete human genome. Thus, this is the first stage of human’s biological existence.
- Multicellular cleavage embryo.
- Blastula embryo. In this phase the embryo also gains weight. The embryo may also split. Monozygotic (identical) twins are formed when an embryo spontaneously and naturally divides into separate embryos.
- Gastrula embryo. The embryo becomes biologically individual and it cannot anymore divide into many separate and healthy embryos.
- Neurula embryo. The embryo starts neural development. By day 26 the embryo has a neural tube.
- Brain development starts. Mental existence requires existence of brains. Brains start developing on day 33.
- Brain activity starts. Usually neural activity in fetus’ brain starts on day 40 to 43.
- Cerebrum development begins. During weeks 8 to 10 cerebrum development begins and reflexes appear.
- Fetus begins movements. By week 13 the fetus has begun to move.
- Fetus can survive outside of womb. Around week 23 the fetus can survive outside the womb, with medical support.
And so on. My point is that there is a time window available before a fetus becomes mental, personal and spiritual human being. If the egg has been fertilized in vitro, then biopsy is easier to do in a laboratory environment, and genetic disorders may be detected early. It is better to sacrifice an unlucky embryo in early phase than suffer some other and greater sacrifice later. Many eggs may be fertilized in vitro simultaneously, and wasting one embryo does not indicate a failure.
I don’t say that coerced sterilization would be always wrong. I don’t say that genetic editing would be always too dangerous. But I insist that there are more than two options available.
Few more words about coercive and voluntary eugenics.
- Every time someone is kept imprisoned and not allowed to reproduce, that may be also negative eugenics as a side effect. That is coercive, classical and negative eugenics. Usually we just do not think about it as eugenics.
- I described in vitro fertilization and embryo selection, and those could be used for voluntary and negative eugenics, to reduce known hereditary diseases.
I think these are best examples of useful methods, that I know, although there may be many other.
Login to reply to this topic.
Not registered? Sign up here.