Urantia Book eugenics

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Urantia Book eugenics

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

We’re actually told to biologically disfellowship defective stock.  I interpret that to mean stop reproducing them, stop mating with them.  Nothing is mentioned about genetically altering them, (unless neutering can be considered a genetic alteration).  Besides, genetic engineering can’t fix this.  There are many, many genes that contribute to stupid and amoral.

51:4.8 These six evolutionary races are destined to be blended and exalted by amalgamation with the progeny of the Adamic uplifters. But before these peoples are blended, the inferior and unfit are largely eliminated. The Planetary Prince and the Material Son, with other suitable planetary authorities, pass upon the fitness of the reproducing strains. The difficulty of executing such a radical program on Urantia consists in the absence of competent judges to pass upon the biologic fitness or unfitness of the individuals of your world races. Notwithstanding this obstacle, it seems that you ought to be able to agree upon the biologic disfellowshiping of your more markedly unfit, defective, degenerate, and antisocial stocks.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

socially defective and morally degenerate genomes

I have a hard time thinking that physical characteristics are the lynch pin that drives a person’s ethics and morals. That genomes are behind what makes personality defective, degenerate or inferior. In fact I think poor physical condition is conducive for making true spiritual choices. Within limits of course.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Although genetics does play a part, isn’t it environmental factors that primarily influence delinquency and degeneracy, like family and community?

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

This is the quote that makes it clear genes underlie character:

…heredity lies at the bottom of all character…. 76:2.6

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

That genomes are behind what makes personality defective, degenerate or inferior.

Ponder on this quote:

76:2.6 The observation of Abel’s conduct establishes the value of environment and education as factors in character development. Abel had an ideal inheritance, and heredity lies at the bottom of all character; but the influence of an inferior environment virtually neutralized this magnificent inheritance. Abel, especially during his younger years, was greatly influenced by his unfavorable surroundings. He would have become an entirely different person had he lived to be twenty-five or thirty; his superb inheritance would then have shown itself. While a good environment cannot contribute much toward really overcoming the character handicaps of a base heredity, a bad environment can very effectively spoil an excellent inheritance, at least during the younger years of life. Good social environment and proper education are indispensable soil and atmosphere for getting the most out of a good inheritance.

I’ve explained this many, many times. Character and personality are not the same thing.  We inherit the character of our personality.  Inheritance involves genes, DNA.  Some people are unfortunate in that they inherit character handicaps, which TUB refers to as a base heredity.  A good social environment can help overcome that.  But a good social environment is the moral and ethical environment of a refined culture, and that is not found in a petri dish.  Where does a refined culture originate?  It originates inside the soul, from the Adjuster, the source of advancing civilization.

111:4.5 Only in the higher levels of the superconscious mind as it impinges upon the spirit realm of human experience can you find those higher concepts in association with effective master patterns which will contribute to the building of a better and more enduring civilization. Personality is inherently creative, but it thus functions only in the inner life of the individual.

109:4.4 If the Adjusters indwelling the minds of the inhabitants of Urantia were to be withdrawn, the world would slowly return to many of the scenes and practices of the men of primitive times; the divine Monitors are one of the real potentials of advancing civilization.

But even a perfect culture cannot rid society of all its inferior stock.  We have to work hard to elevate our thinking, attune it to our Adjusters, if we are ever going to learn to recognize the difference between superior and inferior.

50.6.4  Culture presupposes quality of mind; culture cannot be enhanced unless mind is elevated. Superior intellect will seek a noble culture and find some way to attain such a goal. Inferior minds will spurn the highest culture even when presented to them ready-made. Much depends, also, upon the successive missions of the divine Sons and upon the extent to which enlightenment is received by the ages of their respective dispensations.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

That genomes are behind what makes personality defective, degenerate or inferior.

Ponder on this quote:

76:2.6 The observation of Abel’s conduct establishes the value of environment and education as factors in character development. Abel had an ideal inheritance, and heredity lies at the bottom of all character; but the influence of an inferior environment virtually neutralized this magnificent inheritance. Abel, especially during his younger years, was greatly influenced by his unfavorable surroundings. He would have become an entirely different person had he lived to be twenty-five or thirty; his superb inheritance would then have shown itself. While a good environment cannot contribute much toward really overcoming the character handicaps of a base heredity, a bad environment can very effectively spoil an excellent inheritance, at least during the younger years of life. Good social environment and proper education are indispensable soil and atmosphere for getting the most out of a good inheritance.

I’ve explained this many, many times. Character and personality are not the same thing. We inherit the character of our personality. Inheritance involves genes, DNA. Some people are unfortunate in that they inherit character handicaps, which TUB refers to as a base heredity. A good social environment can help overcome that. But a good social environment is the moral and ethical environment of a refined culture, and that is not found in a petri dish. Where does a refined culture originate? It originates inside the soul, from the Adjuster, the source of advancing civilization.

111:4.5 Only in the higher levels of the superconscious mind as it impinges upon the spirit realm of human experience can you find those higher concepts in association with effective master patterns which will contribute to the building of a better and more enduring civilization. Personality is inherently creative, but it thus functions only in the inner life of the individual. 109:4.4 If the Adjusters indwelling the minds of the inhabitants of Urantia were to be withdrawn, the world would slowly return to many of the scenes and practices of the men of primitive times; the divine Monitors are one of the real potentials of advancing civilization.

But even a perfect culture cannot rid society of all its inferior stock. We have to work hard to elevate our thinking, attune it to our Adjusters, if we are ever going to learn to recognize the difference between superior and inferior.

50.6.4 Culture presupposes quality of mind; culture cannot be enhanced unless mind is elevated. Superior intellect will seek a noble culture and find some way to attain such a goal. Inferior minds will spurn the highest culture even when presented to them ready-made. Much depends, also, upon the successive missions of the divine Sons and upon the extent to which enlightenment is received by the ages of their respective dispensations.

Thanks Bonita. You’ll never know how much I’ve learned about the Urantia Book from you.  :good:

Gene
    Participant

Is it a gene that contributes to someone making the decision to take that feel good pill that aids their escape from reality and can lead to tragedy for more people than themselves?

My 1970’s TUB experience days I knew poeple that took psychedelics and would try to explain to me how it was really true that they were taken up in spaceships (invisible to me of course)  to have a one on one with the local universe helpers etc. Was that a defective gene?

Taking a tangent here – I read so much about all of the beings that inhabit our local universe that are committed to helping us in so many different capacities and we cannot even see or hear or otherwise contact one of them. Isolation is a beach. Isolation is hurting us.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Is it a gene that contributes to someone making the decision to take that feel good pill that aids their escape from reality and can lead to tragedy for more people than themselves? My 1970’s TUB experience days I knew poeple that took psychedelics and would try to explain to me how it was really true that they were taken up in spaceships (invisible to me of course) to have a one on one with the local universe helpers etc. Was that a defective gene? Taking a tangent here – I read so much about all of the beings that inhabit our local universe that are committed to helping us in so many different capacities and we cannot even see or hear or otherwise contact one of them. Isolation is a beach. Isolation is hurting us.

I’ve prayed for this isolation you’re talking about Gene to end more than any other thing I’ve prayed for I think.

How long O’Lord?

The book is awesome but it does seem to me more and more every day that the time has arrived for somebody from on high to appear on the scene to help us get out of the hole the leaders of this world keep digging deeper and deeper to what seems like sure oblivion.

God help us please.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I’d like to add that TUB tells us that even an excellent social environment can do little to improve a base heredity.  And this is why we will eventually need to learn how to recognize a base heredity and learn what to do about it.  That does not mean killing people, i.e. genocide, (notice the reference to genes (race) in the word genocide).  TUB gave us a hint on how to handle it: biological disfellowshipping.  This does not mean ostracizing people and herding them into ghettos either.  Biological disfellowshipping has to do with elimination of a certain gene pool by disallowing reproduction.  We can stop making so many of these people.  But first, we have to figure out who “these people” are.  And that is a slippery slope in our current culture.  We’re not there yet.  Not even close.  In fact, we’re currently going backwards on this matter, presumably out of fear of repeating previous mistakes. I think this world is still operating with a collective guilty conscience concerning the last century.  These things will take time.  Lots of time.  And that’s not necessarily a bad thing if you think about it.  We need some time to develop the long view.

81.5.1  5. CULTURAL SOCIETY Biologic evolution and cultural civilization are not necessarily correlated; organic evolution in any age may proceed unhindered in the very midst of cultural decadence. But when lengthy periods of human history are surveyed, it will be observed that eventually evolution and culture become related as cause and effect. Evolution may advance in the absence of culture, but cultural civilization does not flourish without an adequate background of antecedent racial progression. Adam and Eve introduced no art of civilization foreign to the progress of human society, but the Adamic blood did augment the inherent ability of the races and did accelerate the pace of economic development and industrial progression. Adam’s bestowal improved the brain power of the races, thereby greatly hastening the processes of natural evolution.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

My 1970’s TUB experience days I knew poeple that took psychedelics and would try to explain to me how it was really true that they were taken up in spaceships (invisible to me of course)  to have a one on one with the local universe helpers etc. Was that a defective gene?

Are those the same people who are receiving midwayer emails from invisible orbiting spacecrafts?  Should we biologically disfellowship them?

I think people who deliberately attempt to alter their consciousness in any way (drugs or naturally) are playing with fire.  They are making a conscious decision to do something to alter their thought processes.  Some of this is sheer stupidity.  Is there one single stupid gene?  No.  Some of it is wishful thinking . . . people riding unicorns in search of rainbows.  Come to think of it, that’s a form of stupidity too. But is there a specific gene that makes people shun reality?  No.  Lots of things go into it, and our culture plays a role. As long as society tolerates this sort of thing, people will do it because people are basically lazy.  States of altered consciousness by any means is an attempted shortcut to bliss by those who don’t want to do the actual work involved in finding true happiness.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Taking a tangent here – I read so much about all of the beings that inhabit our local universe that are committed to helping us in so many different capacities and we cannot even see or hear or otherwise contact one of them. Isolation is a beach. Isolation is hurting us.

Oh bullcrap!  (not sure I’m allowed to use that word).  Ponder on these quotes:

50.7.1 7. THE REWARDS OF ISOLATION  On first thought it might appear that Urantia and its associated isolated worlds are most unfortunate in being deprived of the beneficent presence and influence of such superhuman personalities as a Planetary Prince and a Material Son and Daughter. But isolation of these spheres affords their races a unique opportunity for the exercise of faith and for the development of a peculiar quality of confidence in cosmic reliability which is not dependent on sight or any other material consideration. It may turn out, eventually, that mortal creatures hailing from the worlds quarantined in consequence of rebellion are extremely fortunate. We have discovered that such ascenders are very early intrusted with numerous special assignments to cosmic undertakings where unquestioned faith and sublime confidence are essential to achievement.

114.5.4 This rather loosely organized and somewhat personally administered planetary government is more than expectedly effective because of the timesaving assistance of the archangels and their ever-ready circuit, which is so frequently utilized in planetary emergencies and administrative difficulties. Technically, the planet is still spiritually isolated in the Norlatiadek circuits, but in an emergency this handicap can now be circumvented through utilization of the archangels’ circuit. Planetary isolation is, of course, of little concern to individual mortals since the pouring out of the Spirit of Truth upon all flesh nineteen hundred years ago. 

184.4.6 These are the moments of the Master’s greatest victories in all his long and eventful career as maker, upholder, and savior of a vast and far-flung universe. Having lived to the full a life of revealing God to man, Jesus is now engaged in making a new and unprecedented revelation of man to God. Jesus is now revealing to the worlds the final triumph over all fears of creature personality isolation. The Son of Man has finally achieved the realization of identity as the Son of God. Jesus does not hesitate to assert that he and the Father are one; and on the basis of the fact and truth of that supreme and supernal experience, he admonishes every kingdom believer to become one with him even as he and his Father are one. The living experience in the religion of Jesus thus becomes the sure and certain technique whereby the spiritually isolated and cosmically lonely mortals of earth are enabled to escape personality isolation, with all its consequences of fear and associated feelings of helplessness. In the fraternal realities of the kingdom of heaven the faith sons of God find final deliverance from the isolation of the self, both personal and planetary. The God-knowing believer increasingly experiences the ecstasy and grandeur of spiritual socialization on a universe scale — citizenship on high in association with the eternal realization of the divine destiny of perfection attainment.

34:7.6 Notwithstanding this double disaster to man’s nature and his environment, present-day mortals would experience less of this apparent warfare between the flesh and the spirit if they would enter the spirit kingdom, wherein the faith sons of God enjoy comparative deliverance from the slave-bondage of the flesh in the enlightened and liberating service of wholehearted devotion to doing the will of the Father in heaven. Jesus showed mankind the new way of mortal living whereby human beings may very largely escape the dire consequences of the Caligastic rebellion and most effectively compensate for the deprivations resulting from the Adamic default. “The spirit of the life of Christ Jesus has made us free from the law of animal living and the temptations of evil and sin.” “This is the victory that overcomes the flesh, even your faith.”

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

I’d like to add that TUB tells us that even an excellent social environment can do little to improve a base heredity. And this is why we will eventually need to learn how to recognize a base heredity and learn what to do about it. That does not mean killing people, i.e. genocide, (notice the reference to genes (race) in the word genocide). TUB gave us a hint on how to handle it: biological disfellowshipping. This does not mean ostracizing people and herding them into ghettos either. Biological disfellowshipping has to do with elimination of a certain gene pool by disallowing reproduction. We can stop making so many of these people. But first, we have to figure out who “these people” are. And that is a slippery slope in our current culture. We’re not there yet. Not even close. In fact, we’re currently going backwards on this matter, presumably out of fear of repeating previous mistakes. I think this world is still operating with a collective guilty conscience concerning the last century. These things will take time. Lots of time. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing if you think about it. We need some time to develop the long view.

81.5.1 5. CULTURAL SOCIETY Biologic evolution and cultural civilization are not necessarily correlated; organic evolution in any age may proceed unhindered in the very midst of cultural decadence. But when lengthy periods of human history are surveyed, it will be observed that eventually evolution and culture become related as cause and effect. Evolution may advance in the absence of culture, but cultural civilization does not flourish without an adequate background of antecedent racial progression. Adam and Eve introduced no art of civilization foreign to the progress of human society, but the Adamic blood did augment the inherent ability of the races and did accelerate the pace of economic development and industrial progression. Adam’s bestowal improved the brain power of the races, thereby greatly hastening the processes of natural evolution.

That’s an interesting term TUB uses which is contradistinctive to Darwin”s term, natural selection.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think the more interesting part of the quote is the part I highlighted: But when lengthy periods of human history are surveyed, it will be observed that eventually evolution and culture become related as cause and effect.

How do you suppose this cause and effect thing works?  Which one is the cause?  Which one is the effect?  Biological evolution or cultural civilization?   Or does it begin to flow both ways at some point?

My best guess is that those who have the ability should work hard to improve the current culture.  I would begin there. Hopefully, that will provide some insight into the elements impeding it.  Those elements might then be identified as needing  corrective measures of some kind.  But unfortunately, in this current cultural climate, there are too many divergent ideas on how to improve culture.  The mediocre masses and the minorities have the upper hand in most cases.  So, it ain’t gonna happen anytime soon.

For instance, is there any evidence in our current culture that this is happening:

28:5.18 The Divine Counselors, to whom this order is attached, utilize them to reflect from one world to another the benefits to be derived from spiritual service. And by using the performances of the best to inspire and encourage the mediocre, these seconaphim contribute immensely to the quality of devoted service in the superuniverses. Effective use is made of the fraternal competitive spirit by circulating to any one world information about what the others, particularly the best, are doing. A refreshing and wholesome rivalry is promoted even among the seraphic hosts.

No, of course not.  The best are not allowed to be inspirational.  The best are seen as obscene people who need to feel ashamed for being better than someone else in some area.  How dare they be better or best!!! The outrage of it all!!!!!  But of course, you have to realize that all the outrage is coming from the mediocre who don’t want to be inspired, and from the sentimental, soppy sympathizers who think they’re morally superior for protecting the mediocre.  It’s all backasswards.

48:7.7 5. Difficulties may challenge mediocrity and defeat the fearful, but they only stimulate the true children of the Most Highs.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Bonita – as I struggle on, in my unobtrusive corner, your posts continue to serve as a powerful gentle breeze to fill my sails   :-)

As usual, thanks for being here.

Nigel

André
    André
    Participant

Hi everyone,

But when lengthy periods of human history are surveyed, it will be observed that eventually evolution and culture become related as cause and effect. 81:5.1 (905.6)

Which one is the cause?  Which one is the effect? Bonita

According to my perception on this moment about those questions, regarding

TUB 118:8.6 (1302.3) The slowness of evolution, of human cultural progress, testifies to the effectiveness of that brake — material inertia — which so efficiently operates to retard dangerous velocities of progress. Thus does time itself cushion and distribute the otherwise lethal results of premature escape from the next-encompassing barriers to human action. For when culture advances overfast, when material achievement outruns the evolution of worship-wisdom, then does civilization contain within itself the seeds of retrogression; and unless buttressed by the swift augmentation of experiential wisdom, such human societies will recede from high but premature levels of attainment, and the “dark ages” of the interregnum of wisdom will bear witness to the inexorable restoration of the imbalance between self-liberty and self-control.

Cause/effect. It is a vice & versa. Culture (material achievement) must be tempered for proper growth with evolution (worship-wisdom). As evolution must be tempered with material achievement (experiential wisdom or experiences).

It is a Divine balanced technique. When one is unbalanced the other counterpart [one of two parts that fit, complete, or complement one another. ] it.

Bonita ‘’the mediocre’’, ‘’the sentimental’’, ‘’obscene people’’, ‘’soppy sympathizers’’ those children of God, our brothers and sisters … we are in such ignorance, in such an wandering aimlessly …

196:2.9 (2093.3) Jesus led men to feel at home in the world; he delivered them from the slavery of taboo and taught them that the world was not fundamentally evil. He did not long to escape from his earthly life; he mastered a technique of acceptably doing the Father’s will while in the flesh. He attained an idealistic religious life in the very midst of a realistic world. Jesus did not share Paul’s pessimistic view of humankind. The Master looked upon men as the sons of God and foresaw a magnificent and eternal future for those who chose survival. He was not a moral skeptic; he viewed man positively, not negatively. He saw most men as weak rather than wicked, more distraught than depraved. But no matter what their status, they were all God’s children and his brethren.

In affectionate brotherhood,

André

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 81 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.