The Michael Plan

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Michael Plan

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    elise
    Participant

Hmm. Avoid using “Michael” which is his actual name. Ok. Avoid using the word “Christ” which has become universally associated with his name. Ok. What’s left?  Perhaps “Jesus?”  That name is well known and would not be confusing to anyone. It could attract the Christian community which so far is the best, though greatly flawed, representation of his teachings on Urantia. This would immediately open the door to nearly 2 billion people! And if they could get a better understanding of the authentic Jesus, as the UB says, it would attract the non-Christian communities as well as our youth.

IMO, it would be error to bypass the man Jesus.  As the UB states, the world needs to see the human side of the Son, not just the deity side.  And since we all must conquer this pilot world first before we can even entertain or access the greater revelations of morontia life, a title that puts the issues of the Plan squarely where it belongs might use the name “Jesus.”  For example, “Jesus’ Ascension Plan” or “The Ascension Plan.”

Since Jesus is ‘the way, the truth and the life,’ then a Plan that identifies and promotes ‘the way, the truth and the life’ that Jesus lived and taught seems to be quite appropriate.  And to the timid souls, perhaps “Discerning Jesus’ Ascension Plan” would be more palatable.

Elise

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I don’t think it’s possible to come up with a suitable name until you have a concise Mission Statement.  The group needs to first come up with 2-4 sentences stating exactly what they want to accomplish.  Until then, everything is going to be mishmash gobbledegook.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I agree Bonita.  By the position of Elise, there is obvious confusion.  This document and topic have nothing to do with ascension – personal circle progress, soul building, and morontial progressions to come for the individual.  The topic, as stated by Barbara, has to do with planetary progress in the mortal epochs.  How to organize a movement with diversity and without uniformity but with unity of vision, purpose, and strategic planning.  Very different issues altogether.

Dissemination by cooperative endeavor.  An organizational plan for bringing this light and gift to all humanity in time to come.  Is that right Barbara?  A concise statement of introduction and definition of the goal and purpose would be most helpful.   Thanks.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thanks Brad,

So, am I right in concluding that this plan is about dissemination of the Book itself rather than an interpretation of the Book’s purpose?

Isn’t the Book already being disseminated adequately?  Or are people looking for a more aggressive approach?

If it’s about interpretation of the purpose of the Book, then you’re looking for real trouble.  There is no one single interpretation out there and if one should appear, it would have to be suspect.  One single interpretation would never satisfy the needs of billions of people.

The whole thing is confusing to me because I don’t know what the Michael Plan people really want.  I’d like to see them get down to the very core of it.  Straight to the root. What exactly are they dissatisfied with concerning the current state of affairs?  Is it the fact that there are too many organizations claiming to be inspired by the UB, or am I getting this all mixed up?

Do they want a central federal type government (administration) with peripheral organizations that have their own independent rights like states?  If so, then you’re inviting potential power struggles.  Central governments (administrations) should be extremely limited in power, confined to protecting, supporting and negotiating with and for its independent members in order to maintain an intact whole.  The central body should not be proselytizing, ordaining, or doing anything to indicate favor of one interpretation over another.  I think it’s a huge task.

tas
    Participant

The dissemination and publishing topic is one I wanted to get to in particular.

An aspect of the document that really could use an update is the tone of apprehension and fears about UF not being the sole publisher of the book. It’s pretty out of step with what has actually gone on since the book entered the public domain, doesn’t take into account the reality that what’s meant by a “publisher” itself has evolved considerably, and it’s at odds even with the UF’s own healthy perspectives on the topic these days.  (Speaking from first-hand experience as a solo random guy outside the “Urantia movement” organizations and social scenes, who with a laptop and some spare time ended up a “publisher” in making this. More UBs distributed this way than by anyone else in years of late as I understand it, and that’s due to UF being open-minded and giving their blessing for inclusion of their translations, after seeing what I’d done with the public domain English text. 88.3% of app distribution so far this year has been outside the US, mainly from interest in the translations — the Foundation is due much credit for their openness to allow it and to see their mission more broadly than how the “Michael’s Plan” document considers it.)

The #1 very first listed “divergence” from the “plan” — and a cited “problem” all over the document — is how there are now multiple publishers, the “confusion” about this and a lament that the copyright was lost “20 years” short of its expected duration.  But time marches on as always, more than 2/3rds of that timeframe has gone by and we’re not far off from reaching the end of what some believed was the “expected duration”. None of the fears have materialized, but instead, so far the extra time has proven to be remarkably helpful for independent developments and experimentation at a crucial time of new tools and publishing possibilities becoming available that a relatively small organization like the UF couldn’t possibly have taken advantage of alone. The treatment of this topic in the “Michael’s Plan” document really dated it and made it seem like something stuck in the past to me.

The openness and widespread accessibility of the book itself ensures its preservation, more than a copyright ever could. And as Scott points out, people are clever and know how to search for info. The idea that people’s understanding of the “provenance” of the book is somehow so important yet is going to be compromised and at risk due to the book reaching people through a non-UF channel isn’t truly any problem.

tas

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings tas and Bonita….and all.  I should not be putting words in any other’s mouth, but a thorough reading of The Plan does seem to be about an organizational structure of cooperative joint venture for the future of the movement.  If I understand this correctly, it is an immensely important topic for consideration and contribution by all students who are eager for others to posses this guide and lamp to the pilgrim’s trail of ascension.  The ascension plan is well defined and exhaustively described in the UB for the individual seeker and transcender – how to transfer the seat of identity.

But the “keys to the kingdom on earth” were left to mortals to work out by the Master.  The manner in which he refused to sort out differences between his apostles and John’s apostles is an important consideration here and why I’m inclined generally to agree with Bonita.  These are material and social and mortal-group issues discussed in the Plan that seem to fall into this very category to me.  We cannot go back – ever – to the past or the ideal of the past.  We must move forward, wiser and smarter, by our experiences.

It has dawned on me that Barbara is here to preach to the choir and floating a balloon in a safe environment for feedback.  What I mean is that the Association, sponsor of this particular site, remains closely affiliated, very loyal to, and works hand in hand with the Foundation.  We gladly and eagerly recognize the Foundation’s still-critical role in publishing, translating, and disseminating the text.  We organize volunteer activists to associate and gather in study groups, conferences at every level from local to international, to establish associations on the local and national level, and to create a supporting organization that delivers resources to the readership.  Our focus is very global and our growth is greatest overseas, requiring a structural resource-response that is expanding in projects and capacity FOR the readership.

Our leadership is established first in the locals from the study groups’ body of students, who then elect national representatives, of which the President and Vice President of the Nationals form our Representative Council who establish policies and priorities, that are then executed by the International Service Board, which raises funds and organizes committees to serve those projects and priorities.  We’re a bottoms-up, grass-roots, organization of activists serving the will of membership – in cooperation with and support of the Foundation (which does not determine our leadership, policies, or priorities).

And without reservation, I agree with the premise that a vehicle for the cooperative support of the growing readership (or movement as it may be called) offers some essential advantages to the degree that agreement can be reached on priorities and projects that connect this growing student body in meaningful ways.  There are many historical errors, from the Romanization and creation of a priesthood, to the experiences of the Brotherhood 30 years ago, to Marty’s antics 20+ years ago to the current state of affairs.  So I don’t think dissemination is precisely the focus here, albeit it is included in some manner.   There is so much interest in the Revelation.  It now grows exponentially.  Perhaps faster than the scholarship of long time readers is able to respond.

Educational process and connectivity of the readership is an issue for consideration.  Do we just dump books from the sky?  Or do we offer support to those with book in lap?  If not us, then who?  Shouldn’t there be an organized effort to connect students and teachers?  Shouldn’t there be resources of study besides the book itself?  I think that’s the issue addressed by the Plan.  I too hope the focus becomes forward from where we stand.  The future does not wait….see, there went a second of it already!

So, I think we are being asked to consider if a united, democratic, and responsive organizational resource center – most specifically one that is educationally focused and based on that pattern given by the first 4 epochals is the desired and natural celestial pattern for epochal dispensational dissemination.  The radial effect.  For a digital age on a world with no visible, on planet celestial leadership to guide that organization.   Precisely the situation the apostles and disciples found themselves in when the Master ascended.  They who bickered over who was most favored while the Master washed feet.

Perhaps after 2000 years with the Spirit of Truth ministry and the 5th Epochal Revelation in hand, mortals might now do better with these “keys” to which we are entrusted as believers?

Most excellent topic to consider.  Peace.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I vote to avoid using Michael’s name altogether for the following reasons:

I must agree with Bonita here, so how about something like this:

A Plan for Light and Life – (on Urantia)

or, A Urantia Plan for Light and Life.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thanks for that fantastic presentation Brad, but I’m still confused.  Sorry, but I’ve avoided UB politics for 44 years and I have a lot of catching up to do.

I still don’t understand the problem and the need for a “Plan”.  It sounds, from what you just presented, that everything is running peachy keen.  Are you suspecting that this structure will not withstand the suspected increase in readership?  If so why not?

Is there some kind of problem between the UAI and the Foundation that I’m not privy to?  It sounds that the relationship is functioning quite well.  Is there desire for an overarching hybrid organization?  I’m not sure I understand the need for that either.  Can’t both organizations continue to grow, each doing their jobs, in a marriage type relationship, like the Material Sons and Daughters, working harmoniously toward one goal, side by side?

Right now it sounds like the organizations are set up more like businesses.  I’m inclined to think that some people would prefer to have them set up like religious organizations instead. I’m certain that shouldn’t happen.  Reason?  Religious organizations must introduce mystery and mystery opens the door to mischief.  Allow the spin-off (study) groups to do that if they like, but not the central organization.  Hasn’t mystery been the source of the reservist problem and those creepy messages that some sad souls allowed to overrule their rational minds?  Whatever you do, keep the mothership whistle clean, centered on stability and order, not religion.  Religion is supposed to be personal.

Have you ever wondered why the UB includes a section on life on a neighboring planet?  I have.  Maybe it’s meant to plant a seed of thought?  The neighboring planet has no churches!  Religious instruction is given in temples of philosophy.  This is genius because it allows religion to remain a purely personal experience.  I think that a UB organization should concern itself more with the philosophy of the Revelation and allow the Book itself to inspire individual religious experience.

Now the group should come up with a philosophy as well as a Mission Statement.  Sorry folks.

72:3.5 Purely religious instruction is given publicly only in the temples of philosophy, no such exclusively religious institutions as the Urantia churches having developed among this people. In their philosophy, religion is the striving to know God and to manifest love for one’s fellows through service for them, but this is not typical of the religious status of the other nations on this planet. Religion is so entirely a family matter among these people that there are no public places devoted exclusively to religious assembly. 

TUB
    Participant

I think Chris has in effect done this Bonita. He has created a institute of philosophy that examines the truths of TUB. I imagine this institute could be a huge help to readers. But I wouldn’t recommend it to new readers or timid souls.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

But, as far as I can tell, Chris is a single individual doing this and that puts him in danger of having a personality cult built around him.  Very dangerous.  Any institute of philosophy should have dozens and dozens of teachers, each with their own ideas.  As I understand it, it’s only Chris’s ideas now, right?

barbaranewsom
    Participant

Hi all,

Yes, I agree we need a short statement of purpose and summary. That will take a little time. We will address your questions and points as we do that. And pilot our draft here. Thanks so much and keep the thoughts coming!

As for audience, what I appreciate about the safe environment here is being reasonably sure that my comments will not be forwarded or published without my knowledge or control, among other things I like about the way UAI handles its electronic and internal communications.

I would welcome participants from all organizations and individuals. We had initial feedback from a broad cross-section and could use that in this next phase. This forum format allows that. And remember, I am just responding to a question Elise posed. Our old document was slumbering away on the website until she and others brought it life.

Bonita (and others), it is not so much that we see what is wrong with the present, but are enthused about how much better it could be.  So let those ideas flow freely, too.

Peace and love, Barbara

TUB
    Participant

But, as far as I can tell, Chris is a single individual doing this and that puts him in danger of having a personality cult built around him.  Very dangerous.  Any institute of philosophy should have dozens and dozens of teachers, each with their own ideas.  As I understand it, it’s only Chris’s ideas now, right?

He has people helping him, including his wife. So its not just him and I bet he is open to even more people being part of the institute if there are people willing. Chris tells people who listen to him that he thinks he is a 7th circler all the time so hopefully that doesn’t happen but sometimes people get fanatical and there is not much anyone can do. I am sure there are people out there who have taken Chris wayyyy to seriously.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Chris tells people who listen to him that he thinks he is a 7th circler all the time . . .

Scott, you know as well as I do that nobody knows what circle they’re in.  It sounds like false humility to me.  Red flag, just sayin’.  Be careful.  Sometimes it’s the followers who deify the teacher and unwittingly set the trap for his ultimate downfall.  Ego can be so conniving he doesn’t even see it coming.  Encourage more teachers, more ideas, more voices, more, more, more.

TUB
    Participant

Bonita yes Chris is well aware of the dangers of self righteous thinking, he knows that is what brought Lucifer down. He sometimes mentions the dangers of loving yourself and thinking your special and how that can lead to rebellion.”By their fruits you shall know them” Chris definetely has spiritual fruit. He has never claimed any special ability or asked anything of anyone. I have never heard him say a bad thing about another person. I have never even heard him get irritated by anything anyone has said. His study groups are full of open dialogue and anyone is allowed to join. If someone can find a audio or video of him displaying any fustration or ill temper I would like I see it because I haven’t found it.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Okay then Scott.  Looks like you’ve already deified him.  And that’s exactly what I’m talking about.  Even Jesus got frustrated at times. It’s the quiet ones you have to worry about.  But my warning is not for Chris or any other leader/teacher, but to their followers who put them on pedestals and unwittingly contribute to their downfall either by putting too much pressure on them, convincing them of their irreplaceable value to the movement, or fawning, sycophantic behavior.  I just got finished reading all the stories about Vern Grimsley and I’m certain that his followers were enablers, making the situation much worse than it had to be.  Why none of them had him admitted to a psychiatric ward, I’ll never understand.  And the guy who finally blew the whistle got the shaft, as usual, for resisting the cult of personality.   I’d stay light years away from this kind of stuff.  Playing with fire.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.