The Master's Parables

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Master's Parables

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 317 total)
  • Author
    emanny3003
    Blocked

And it is his Spirit of Truth who makes it possible for us to recognize the truth in Jesus’ parables.

Wrong… It is YOU who allows the Spirit of Truth to make it possible to recognize the truth of Jesus’ parables. You may reject the Spirit by placing an idol before it.

DO NOT make an idol of words in a book.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    194:3:1   Many queer and strange teachings became associated with the early narratives of the day of Pentecost. In subsequent times the events of this day, on which the Spirit of Truth, the new teacher, came to dwell with mankind, have become confused with the foolish outbreaks of rampant emotionalism. The chief mission of this outpoured spirit of the Father and the Son is to teach men about the truths of the Father’s love and the Son’s mercy. These are the truths of divinity which men can comprehend more fully than all the other divine traits of character. The Spirit of Truth is concerned primarily with the revelation of the Father’s spirit nature and the Son’s moral character. The Creator Son, in the flesh, revealed God to men; the Spirit of Truth, in the heart, reveals the Creator Son to men. When man yields the “fruits of the spirit” in his life, he is simply showing forth the traits which the Master manifested in his own earthly life. When Jesus was on earth, he lived his life as one personality — Jesus of Nazareth. As the indwelling spirit of the “new teacher,” the Master has, since Pentecost, been able to live his life anew in the experience of every truth-taught believer.
    emanny3003
    Blocked
    194:3:1 Many queer and strange teachings became associated with the early narratives of the day of Pentecost. In subsequent times the events of this day, on which the Spirit of Truth, the new teacher, came to dwell with mankind, have become confused with the foolish outbreaks of rampant emotionalism. The chief mission of this outpoured spirit of the Father and the Son is to teach men about the truths of the Father’s love and the Son’s mercy. These are the truths of divinity which men can comprehend more fully than all the other divine traits of character. The Spirit of Truth is concerned primarily with the revelation of the Father’s spirit nature and the Son’s moral character. The Creator Son, in the flesh, revealed God to men; the Spirit of Truth, in the heart, reveals the Creator Son to men. When man yields the “fruits of the spirit” in his life, he is simply showing forth the traits which the Master manifested in his own earthly life. When Jesus was on earth, he lived his life as one personality — Jesus of Nazareth. As the indwelling spirit of the “new teacher,” the Master has, since Pentecost, been able to live his life anew in the experience of every truth-taught believer.

Do not put this quote before The Spirit of Truth. The Spirit can be experienced because it creates a consciousness of Christ Michael. These words above can be read and placed in your as mind in symbolic meaning but it goes there BEFORE the Spirit who is beyond symbolism. Your mind can crowd out reality and replace it with unreality (symbols)(idols). Beware.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Mark Kurtz wrote: The Master listed 11 Fruits of the Divine Spirit just before his ascension. Again he reminded people of that day what is at the heart of divine teaching to transform animalistic nature into divine nature. This teaching applies to us today, here and within all relationships.

I agree. And it is his Spirit of Truth who makes it possible for us to recognize the truth in Jesus’ parables. Another one of his kingdom of heaven analogies concerns leavening. 151:4.3 “The kingdom of heaven is also like leaven which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, and in this way it came about that all of the meal was leavened.” Like seeds sown, mustard or otherwise, yeast is also living. Yeast also rapidly multiples and results in growth. It takes only a pinch to make a loaf of bread. Just a pinch of truth allowed to live in one’s soul will rapidly multiply and spread to influence one’s whole life and the life of others as well.

Me here:  the Master used the “kingdom of heaven” in 5 distinct ways, only one of which is the kingdom “within”.  I find it very appropriate, accurate (by text), and useful to consider not only how the mustard seed, leaven, and salt of the spirit within to grow the pilgrim’s soul and maturity and spirit progress within but also to consider the same “cause” and “effect” cycle by the sincere love response and acts upon our world, the group of believers, the family unit, the community in which we walk by, and the aggregation effect thereby.  We are told that every single righteous thought and act impinges upon even the Supreme.  To say it has no effect or value upon the group is contradicted, obviously, by the text itself which clearly defines the kingdom as the era/epoch to come next, the era of L&L, the family of ALL beings in ALL the universes, and the family of believers (the other 4 kingdoms described); so when the Master says “the kingdom of heaven is like unto….”, we may consider all these kingdoms and how his words may be applied in more than one way.  Or so I think.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

I place these references specifically for the edification of readers – those truth taught believers – who wish to know more.   :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote: . . . we may consider all these kingdoms and how his words may be applied in more than one way.  Or so I think.
    Well, if we accept the fact that the kingdom of heaven is spiritual and not material, then it narrows our focus somewhat.  The spirit is everywhere, but the spirit has a different viewpoint and purpose than the wholly material.  Spirit is meant to dominate the material level of existence, both physical and mindal.  Entering the kingdom of heaven is recognition of one’s personal relationship to God as a son/daughter, followed by the natural recognition of the sonship of other members of the kingdom, or the brotherhood of the kingdom. One follows the other.
    When it comes to leavening, I think it is referring to this recognition of one’s personal sonship with the Father, whose kingdom it is;  this tiny little yeast bud then grows when it recognizes the sonship of the brotherhood.
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Well, if we accept the fact that the kingdom of heaven is spiritual and not material, then it narrows our focus somewhat. The spirit is everywhere, but the spirit has a different viewpoint and purpose than the wholly material. Spirit is meant to dominate the material level of existence, both physical and mindal. Entering the kingdom of heaven is recognition of one’s personal relationship to God as a son/daughter, followed by the natural recognition of the sonship of other members of the kingdom, or the brotherhood of the kingdom. One follows the other. When it comes to leavening, I think it is referring to this recognition of one’s personal sonship with the Father, whose kingdom it is; this tiny little yeast bud then grows when it recognizes the sonship of the brotherhood.

I think I’ll quibble on this one somewhat….there is nothing that is NOT in the kingdom of God, as expressed the 5 ways by Michael – except for sin and evil….those are not of the kingdom and do not impinge upon it in any meaningful way.  All the worlds and beings in time and space and beyond in Paradise are within this kingdom, yes?   Two of those kingdoms are the planetary, material progressive epochs, one is the body of all believers, and one is all of creation….we cannot dismiss 4 of the 5 “kingdoms” described in the parables but each is connected to all others too.

Otherwise, I agree on your premise and points.  My perspective is that as the each is related to the whole, then the mustard seed of spirit recognition and response within the each, thereby and therefrom, also contributes to the progress of the whole….and the Supreme.  I think it profoundly important and instructive to consider that we are taught that which goes to soul also goes to the Supreme, the experiential whole, but also goes to community and to planetary progress by this “cause”.  The effect realized by any cause may also become further “cause” for further “effect”…..a feedback loop of amplification if you will.  And further, that all and every act by the one indwelt and responsive to spirit  contributes to this functionality and cause for further effect.  The “seed” within grows fruit which also brings forth more seed which causes effects itself in other individuals and in total to the all.

Fascinating linkage and loop that I never even considered prior to the Revelation’s presentations.  It adds greater dimension to the well known parables when the each and the all and the Supreme are connected by the circuitry of the Spirit.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think I’ll quibble on this one somewhat…

Okay. I don’t mind a little quibble, since you’re so nice.  Nasty quibblers are a waste of my time.

So . . . . I took that statement directly from the UB, where it says that the kingdom of heaven is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood.  The following quote doesn’t say anything about it being a material brotherhood; and it does use the word exclusive, which means excluding all else, thus limited to only the spiritual.  It doesn’t mean that the kingdom of heaven doesn’t function on the material level, but the kingdom itself is exclusively spiritual.

99:3.2 The kingdom of heaven is neither a social nor economic order; it is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood of God-knowing individuals.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

:good:    Okay….thanks for the quibble…hahaha!  I agree it costs nothing to be polite and pleasant among fellow believers, but even that price (free) seems too high for some.  Don’t know the reward for being mean spirited and imperious, but I doubt its savor and its results.

The Paper you cited is in the Papers on personal religion and is quite specific indeed.  However, in considering the parables about the kingdom, a reading of Paper 170 – The Kingdom of Heaven – would be helpful in expanding the concept into multiple representations, all of which are indeed related to the spiritual nature so quoted.  I’ll let students read that text rather than post snippets as it is quite exhaustive in its presentations.  But I will post the beginning of that Paper here…….

Paper 170

The Kingdom of Heaven

(1858.1) 170:0.1 SATURDAY afternoon, March 11, Jesus preached his last sermon at Pella. This was among the notable addresses of his public ministry, embracing a full and complete discussion of the kingdom of heaven. He was aware of the confusion which existed in the minds of his apostles and disciples regarding the meaning and significance of the terms “kingdom of heaven” and “kingdom of God,” which he used as interchangeable designations of his bestowal mission. Although the very term kingdom of heaven should have been enough to separate what it stood for from all connection with earthly kingdoms and temporal governments, it was not. The idea of a temporal king was too deep-rooted in the Jewish mind thus to be dislodged in a single generation. Therefore Jesus did not at first openly oppose this long-nourished concept of the kingdom.

(1858.2) 170:0.2 This Sabbath afternoon the Master sought to clarify the teaching about the kingdom of heaven; he discussed the subject from every viewpoint and endeavored to make clear the many different senses in which the term had been used. In this narrative we will amplify the address by adding numerous statements made by Jesus on previous occasions and by including some remarks made only to the apostles during the evening discussions of this same day. We will also make certain comments dealing with the subsequent outworking of the kingdom idea as it is related to the later Christian church.

And then there is this later in the same Paper:

(1863.5) 170:4.7 Wherefore must we always examine the Master’s teaching to ascertain which of these five phases he may have reference to when he makes use of the term kingdom of heaven. By this process of gradually changing man’s will and thus affecting human decisions, Michael and his associates are likewise gradually but certainly changing the entire course of human evolution, social and otherwise. (bold and italics by my hand)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Bonita wrote:  Nasty quibblers are a waste of my time.
    I always look for the positive in something, someone, some situation.  There is always a positive to find, if one is looking for it.  I looked for a story as an example to explicate my meaning and I found this:
    141:6:2   When Simon Zelotes and Jesus were alone, Simon asked the Master: “Why is it that I could not persuade him? Why did he so resist me and so readily lend an ear to you?” Jesus answered: “Simon, Simon, how many times have I instructed you to refrain from all efforts to take something out of the hearts of those who seek salvation? How often have I told you to labor only to put something into these hungry souls? Lead men into the kingdom, and the great and living truths of the kingdom will presently drive out all serious error. When you have presented to mortal man the good news that God is his Father, you can the easier persuade him that he is in reality a son of God. And having done that, you have brought the light of salvation to the one who sits in darkness. Simon, when the Son of Man came first to you, did he come denouncing Moses and the prophets and proclaiming a new and better way of life? No. I came not to take away that which you had from your forefathers but to show you the perfected vision of that which your fathers saw only in part. Go then, Simon, teaching and preaching the kingdom, and when you have a man safely and securely within the kingdom, then is the time, when such a one shall come to you with inquiries, to impart instruction having to do with the progressive advancement of the soul within the divine kingdom.”
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  However, in considering the parables about the kingdom, a reading of Paper 170 – The Kingdom of Heaven – would be helpful in expanding the concept into multiple representations, all of which are indeed related to the spiritual nature so quoted.

Fair enough.  I was thinking that a long discussion about what the kingdom of heaven needed its own thread, but since all the threads seem to overlap, why not study it with the parables.

Paper 170 gives us a historic look at what the kingdom of heaven meant.  Then it tells us of seven different ways in which Jesus used the phrase.  It begins by saying that he insisted that the core meaning was centered upon the fatherhood of God and its correlated fact of the brotherhood of man.  Fatherhood comes first.  As far as I can tell, all seven points mentioned concerning Jesus’ concept of the kingdom taken from 170:2-8, are spiritual in nature:

• New courage and confidence
    • Augmented spiritual power
    • Freedom to hope for eternal life
    • True consolation for all people
    • A new standard for moral and ethical values
    • An ideal new order of human society
    • The pre-eminance of the spiritual
    • The goal of living is spiritual
    • All these realities are the result of righteous living
    • The acquisition of new meanings
    • Salvation is a destiny realized by service
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I always look for the positive in something, someone, some situation.  There is always a positive to find, if one is looking for it.

Sometimes you look and look and look and just can’t find anything good.  Well wait.  Poop can be used for fertilizer, right?

emanny3003
    Blocked

Sometimes you look and look and look and just can’t find anything good.  Well wait.  Poop can be used for fertilizer, right?

Guilt can also be used to fertilize offense. Kindness wards off wrath but guilt attracts flies.

Granted, John the Baptist lacked culture and tact and was less than polite but he was still quite effective. He approached the teaching of the gospel differently than Jesus. He was a provoker. He prepared the way for Jesus as Gabriel had foretold to Elizabeth. Although John’s methods were provocative, he did set the stage for the coming of Jesus. And for this he got his head chopped off.

Jesus was an evoker of truth. He was kind, merciful and loving. And for this he got crucified. Guilt was at work in both of their Earthly demise.

The wrath here is evident and not by me. I admit that I provoke but look at all the discussion that has resulted among all of you. This forum was dying three months ago.

Sometimes I evoke rather than provoke. Sometimes I am kind rather than pointed, but the results seems to be the same.

Pronounced guilty by the guilty. Guilty as poop. As unpleasantly odiferous as poop is, it does not reek to high hell as does HYPOCRISY.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

So . . .  winding my way through all the fertilizer I find myself thinking again of the Master’s parables.  How about the treasure hidden in the field?

151:4.4 “The kingdom of heaven is also like a treasure hidden in a field, which a man discovered. In his joy he went forth to sell all he had that he might have the money to buy the field.”

So this fellow sold everything he had to buy the field.  What do you suppose that means? What did he sell?

emanny3003
    Blocked

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

So . . . winding my way through all the fertilizer I find myself thinking again of the Master’s parables. How about the treasure hidden in the field?

So this fellow sold everything he had to buy the field.  What do you suppose that means? What did he sell?

Manure?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 317 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.