Guilt

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    nelsong
    Participant

Well, I’m not as kind as you nelsong.

why not? Is that a badge of honor? It is easier to be abrasive.

emanny3003
    Blocked

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

why not? Is that a badge of honor? It is easier to be abrasive.

Because kind words mean nothing around here and is name calling that prevails. Have you been called poop and fertilizer, nelsong?

I have do problems, however, dealing pointely and abrasively using word symbols. Face to face is a different matter altogether. In person I am the epitome of politeness. No one knows anyone else here in person, however.

Wrathful words do not bother me because I am not known nor do I know anyone here. Nothing personal can go one here. Being called excrement is hate speech. Is there a badge of honor for that? Bonita and Bradly definitely hate. They cannot hate me because they do not know me. I know this and that is why I continue to answer them back directly, while Bradly engages in hypocritical retorts and Bonita ignores my words only to obliquely hurl her word insults my way in a steely and stealthy manner. Is there a badge of honor they can receive? Wait, they already wear their badges for all to see while the poop flies out of their mouths and onto the blog.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

91:1.16 With those mortals who have not been delivered from the primitive bondage of fear, there is a real danger that all prayer may lead to a morbid sense of sin, unjustified convictions of guilt, real or fancied. But in modern times it is not likely that many will spend sufficient time at prayer to lead to this harmful brooding over their unworthiness or sinfulness. The dangers attendant upon the distortion and perversion of prayer consist in ignorance, superstition, crystallization, devitalization, materialism, and fanaticism.

I’m wondering why it’s so hard to stay focused on the topic.  My question concerns prayer and guilt.  The above quote suggests that prayer can lead to harmful brooding about one’s own unworthiness.  What is it about prayer that opens the pathway to guilt?  Could it be the sense of smallness one has when asking for help?  I guess what they might be saying is that so few of modern people will bother to ask for help.  And that, in turn, must mean that so many modern people are too full of themselves to think that they need help.

Keryn
    Participant

The above quote suggests that prayer can lead to harmful brooding about one’s own unworthiness. What is it about prayer that opens the pathway to guilt?

It may relate to how individuals are taught to pray in the different traditions.  For some, praying is a way to unburden themselves of any wrong doing they may have done during the day.  Sometimes children may be taught to pray thusly, and never grow out of that early teaching when they become adults.  It may also be due to a misguided and overzealous desire to be humble in prayer and to acknowledge one’s inferiority or weaknesses as a means of exhibiting humility.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Pray only for the strength to grow in faith.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Keryn wrote:It may relate to how individuals are taught to pray in the different traditions.  For some, praying is a way to unburden themselves of any wrong doing they may have done during the day.  Sometimes children may be taught to pray thusly, and never grow out of that early teaching when they become adults.  It may also be due to a misguided and overzealous desire to be humble in prayer and to acknowledge one’s inferiority or weaknesses as a means of exhibiting humility.
    I can see that.  Everyone has their own ideas about prayer and their own experiences with prayer.  I think any sincere prayer is humbling because it is a supplication of some kind.  Supplication is the act of asking or begging for something earnestly or humbly.  Although, I do think that prayer can simply be a conversation with God, one not requiring any favors, but people generally bristle when I say that as though it’s not really possible.  So, I think most people consider prayer to be a plea for help on some level.  And, anyone pleading has some measure of humility or they wouldn’t be pleading, they’d be demanding.  
    emanny3003
    Blocked

I can see that.  Everyone has their own ideas about prayer and their own experiences with prayer.  I think any sincere prayer is humbling because it is a supplication of some kind.  Supplication is the act of asking or begging for something earnestly or humbly.  Although, I do think that prayer can simply be a conversation with God, one not requiring any favors, but people generally bristle when I say that as though it’s not really possible.  So, I think most people consider prayer to be a plea for help on some level.  And, anyone pleading has some measure of humility or they wouldn’t be pleading, they’d be demanding.

Yes, Bonita. Pray for strength to be humble before God’s Will. Pray for strength of Faith in His Will.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Apparently religious daydreaming can be bad for you if it becomes a habit of reality avoidance. So, I’m wondering what are the signs of reality avoidance?  Could one of them be a lack of guilt?

emanny3003
    Blocked

Apparently religious daydreaming can be bad for you if it becomes a habit of reality avoidance. So, I’m wondering what are the signs of reality avoidance? Could one of them be a lack of guilt?

Reality cannot be avoided, only denied. Denied completely and there is no reality for the denier.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

100:5.8 There is great danger associated with the habitual practice of religious daydreaming; mysticism may become a technique of reality avoidance, albeit it has sometimes been a means of genuine spiritual communion.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Did you all notice that Jesus did not permit himself to be alone for long periods and that he sent his apostles out in pairs on missions?  There must be a clue here somewhere that applies to this question!!!!!!

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Mark Kurtz wrote:  Did you all notice that Jesus did not permit himself to be alone for long periods. . . .

On the subject of isolation:

112:1:16   Personality cannot very well perform in isolation. Man is innately a social creature; he is dominated by the craving of belongingness. It is literally true, “No man lives unto himself.”
    160:2:8  Isolation tends to exhaust the energy charge of the soul.
    160:2:9  Man languishes in isolation.
    Said Jesus:

193:3:2   Have you not read in the Scripture where it is written: ‘It is not good for man to be alone. No man lives to himself’? And also where it says: ‘He who would have friends must show himself friendly’? And did I not even send you out to teach, two and two, that you might not become lonely and fall into the mischief and miseries of isolation? You also well know that, when I was in the flesh, I did not permit myself to be alone for long periods. From the very beginning of our associations I always had two or three of you constantly by my side or else very near at hand even when I communed with the Father. Trust, therefore, and confide in one another. And this is all the more needful since I am this day going to leave you alone in the world. The hour has come; I am about to go to the Father.”
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Mark Kurtz wrote:  . . . Jesus did not permit himself to be alone for long periods. . . .
    193:4:1   It was in the first part of the Master’s farewell message to his apostles that he alluded to the loss of Judas and held up the tragic fate of their traitorous fellow worker as a solemn warning against the dangers of social and fraternal isolation. It may be helpful to believers, in this and in future ages, briefly to review the causes of Judas’s downfall in the light of the Master’s remarks and in view of the accumulated enlightenment of succeeding centuries.
    Do you think Judas experienced guilt?
    emanny3003
    Blocked

100:5.8 There is great danger associated with the habitual practice of religious daydreaming; mysticism may become a technique of reality avoidance, albeit it has sometimes been a means of genuine spiritual communion.

Interesting quote and I see where you came up with “reality avoidance”, but consider that “may become” and “technique” and other times a means of genuine spiritual communion.

Two rather opposite outcomes. I do not see shades of gray or degrees of mysticism having such different effects. I would have given this Melchizedek a C- for clarity. You are either real or unreal. I see it as black and white when realities are concerned.

Am I allowed to disagree with a Melchizedek?

I do not think he know us as well as Michael, who walked in our sandals. BTW, this Mel was not Machiventa, I assume.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Do you think Judas experienced guilt?

Yes. To the extreme in the end.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.