Guilt

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Guilt is defined as consciousness of violation of the customs of morality. (89:10.3).  Recognition of this consciousness is a mark of transcendent distinction because it has the potential to create a sense of unworthiness. (89:10.4)  It is this sense of unworthiness that leads to humility, openness and willingness to be led.

But guilt can go terribly wrong.  We know that some individuals can be absolutely paralyzed by guilt, and unable to function properly.  Then there are some who use guilt as a weapon to gain power over others with sob stories of victimhood and other manipulations designed to instill shame and garner enablement.

I would say that a healthy, balanced amount of guilt creates good soil for seed sowing.  An imbalanced  guilty conscience leads to all sorts of misery, not only for the owner of such a conscience, but for others as well.  Whatever plagues the conscience, if not handled appropriately, results in all manner of human unhappiness.

103:2.10 A misguided conscience can become responsible for much conflict, worry, sorrow, and no end of human unhappiness.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Yes, Bonita.  And Jesus affirmed we should not let guilt drive our lives:

156:2.7 “Said Jesus: “My disciples must not only cease to do evil but learn to do well; you must not only be cleansed from all conscious sin, but you must refuse to harbor even the feelings of guilt. If you confess your sins, they are forgiven; therefore must you maintain a conscience void of offense.”

There is a lot more to post.  A word search on guilt is revealing.

Thank you.

nelsong
    Participant

If you confess your sins, they are forgiven; therefore must you maintain a conscience void of offense.”

good luck

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

If you confess your sins, they are forgiven; therefore must you maintain a conscience void of offense.” good luck

Take heart nelsong.

156:5:8   Do not become discouraged by the discovery that you are human. Human nature may tend toward evil, but it is not inherently sinful. Be not downcast by your failure wholly to forget some of your regrettable experiences. The mistakes which you fail to forget in time will be forgotten in eternity. Lighten your burdens of soul by speedily acquiring a long-distance view of your destiny, a universe expansion of your career.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Guilt is useful though.  Even Adam and Eve experienced guilt. And they were much comforted when absolved by their judges.

75:7.2 While downcast by the sense of guilt, Adam and Eve were greatly cheered by the announcement that their judges on Salvington had absolved them from all charges of standing in “contempt of the universe government.” They had not been held guilty of rebellion.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Guilt is useful though.  Even Adam and Eve experienced guilt. And they were much comforted when absolved by their judges.

Where exactly is the usefulness of guilt? Guilt is a poison. Who are you prescribing it to? This is outrageous.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Guilt is defined as consciousness of violation of the customs of morality. (89:10.3). Recognition of this consciousness is a mark of transcendent distinction because it has the potential to create a sense of unworthiness. (89:10.4) It is this sense of unworthiness that leads to humility, openness and willingness to be led. But guilt can go terribly wrong. We know that some individuals can be absolutely paralyzed by guilt, and unable to function properly. Then there are some who use guilt as a weapon to gain power over others with sob stories of victimhood and other manipulations designed to instill shame and garner enablement. I would say that a healthy, balanced amount of guilt creates good soil for seed sowing. An imbalanced guilty conscience leads to all sorts of misery, not only for the owner of such a conscience, but for others as well. Whatever plagues the conscience, if not handled appropriately, results in all manner of human unhappiness.

103:2.10 A misguided conscience can become responsible for much conflict, worry, sorrow, and no end of human unhappiness.

Thank you Bonita for your balanced and thoughtful presentation.  The UB, especially Jesus himself, teaches us so many “balancing acts” of how a little of this and that is helpful but too much turns a positive potential into a negative.  There are so many examples of this.  Guilt may be nothing more than realization and recognition leading to acknowledgement and change or it can become a festering source of regret and disabling self blame.  I think guilt is most often “abused” by those who have made no change to bad priorities and choices which keep bringing the same result.  For some, such guilt seeks a source of blame and resentment as its eventual “treatment”.  Maturity and balance are what makes one thing good for some and the same not so good for others who do not accept responsibility for their own choices and actions and feel helpless in their self victimization.  Thanks Bonita…as always, clear thinking on a difficult issue.

;-)

nelsong
    Participant

Guilt and sin are not necessarily connected

if you don’t want it to burry you you do something about it

its a motivator

its also a reflection on your own morality

I don’t see how you can say it is not useful

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Guilt is not innate is it? I do not experience guilt.  Must be something wrong with me.  I think most all religions tell their people things to make them fearful and guilty.  Some religions more than others.  I think parental influences do a guilt number on kids too.  Should I feel guilty I don’t have guilt?  :-(

nelsong
    Participant

I think I’m the one with something wrong.

i will say this: I have never been connected with any religion. Raised a Mormon but it never connected.

emanny3003
    Blocked

I don’t see how you can say it is not useful

156:2.7 “Said Jesus: “My disciples must not only cease to do evil but learn to do well; you must not only be cleansed from all conscious sin, but you must refuse to harbor even the feelings of guilt. If you confess your sins, they are forgiven; therefore must you maintain a conscience void of offense.”

Guilt is useful, but only to be offensive.

nelsong
    Participant

Jesus formula is wonderful for guilt that is associated with sin.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Jesus formula is wonderful for guilt that is associated with sin.

Yes, because of the unreality of sin is more easily erased and play no part in retarding soul progression.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

. Should I feel guilty I don’t have guilt?

Where’s the laugh out loud face?  Hahahahaha.  Very funny.  I think guilt has it greatest value for change in those who are earlier in their spirit “career” perhaps.  That value is specific to its ability to change someone and redirect motives, intentions, priorities, choices.  Without guilt as a motive for change, there is no value to find therein.  As spirit progress is made and the fruits appear, perhaps the more mature religionist has less and less for which guilt may be associated?  Guilt is a measure of and a response to a lack of sincerity and effort in love and service as in being cruel, indifferent, self centered, and disloyal but awareness of those transgressions demonstrates also awareness of a personal violation of truth, beauty, goodness, and love…..or it is simply the feeling a moral or ethical person might have for the transgression of only social taboo or for the priest-led, perhaps a general sense of guilt and responsibility for all sin everywhere since the beginning of time.

In this way, the functionality of guilt is magnified or muted based on the one who experiences it….what is the personal “response” to this feeling?  Is it a lever for discernment and change?  For if that, then would not more experience and maturity and circle progress naturally lead one to fewer and fewer “opportunities” for this feeling?  Or is guilt but a source of self torture or finding blame and fuel for self pity, a  pit that mires one into immobility and self loathing?

Of course, there are those without guilt due to ego and self righteousness too.  Thanks for the levity Mara.  We surely need it.

;-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

According to the following quote, the only way to completely avoid any feelings of guilt would be to maintain a level of unbroken communication with God and to never lower your moral ideals.  I do think this is possible in this world, but I also think that we can delude ourselves into thinking that we’ve attained such a high level of existence.  (Not speaking to you directly Mara; I believe that you are quite capable of attaining that level.)

103:4.3 The sense of guilt (not the consciousness of sin) comes either from interrupted spiritual communion or from the lowering of one’s moral ideals. Deliverance from such a predicament can only come through the realization that one’s highest moral ideals are not necessarily synonymous with the will of God. Man cannot hope to live up to his highest ideals, but he can be true to his purpose of finding God and becoming more and more like him.

Self-delusion which results in a complete lack of guilt might easily be caused by spiritual pride, or unbridled egotism, a total lack of the ability to assume responsibility for one’s thoughts and actions. Someone like that would have no conscience and therefore no guilt.

And this, I think, is at the heart of the quote about the fringe of conflict on page 1766.  Guilt causes mental conflict, an inner war between the two realms of existence, material and spiritual.  If you live entirely in the spiritual realm, you have no conflict, no guilt.  That is why Jesus told his apostles that they should not have guilt; he wanted them to strive to attain a spiritual level of existence and avoid the fringe of mental conflict that comes from trying to serve two masters.

But to an individual who is entirely self-centered, this fringe of conflict will not exist either.  Such a person would be quite content with themselves and their selfish little world.  No guilt there.  And I think the lack of guilt brings comfort to these people.  The conflict that comes from facing the world of reality is too much for them to handle, being of weak minds and spirits.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 75 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.