Guilt

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author
    emanny3003
    Blocked

Of course, there are those without guilt due to ego and self righteousness too.  Thanks for the levity Mara.  We surely need it.

Jesus was guiltless. To what do you aspire?

Self-delusion which results in a complete lack of guilt might easily be caused by spiritual pride, or unbridled egotism, a total lack of the ability to assume responsibility for one’s thoughts and actions. Someone like that would have no conscience and therefore no guilt.

Jesus felt no guilt and never apologized to anyone. Did he take responsibility? Was he without a conscience?

nelsong
    Participant

Am I on the wrong planet or what?

Has anybody zigged when they should have zagged, hesitated to act when action was required, helped the wrong person, made the wrong decision – and by any or all of these, really hurt some people, some may have even suffered unnecessarily and or lost their lives.

None of the above are sinful but all have guilt associated. None of the above require repentance but there was certainly a bunch regardless. I feel like the general consensus is that guilt and sin are like hand in glove. Not the case in my experience.

Jesus never got into this kind of stuff because he was very wise, neither do most avid religionists, wise or other-wise. I can understand this.

Jesus did mention however that if required he would defend himself. It never came to that but it was possible. There would have been no sin, no need for repentance and a wise human being like Jesus would have felt no guilt I suppose if he had to hurt someone. Or if guilt came up, he would have willed it away just because he is a God-Man and has that kind of power/strength.

emanny3003
    Blocked

I agree, nelsong. No quotes need follow. I simply agree.

nelsong
    Participant

I agree, nelsong. No quotes need follow. I simply agree.

you agree because it sounds like I’m critical of someone??? Or?

Keryn
    Participant

None of the above are sinful but all have guilt associated. None of the above require repentance but there was certainly a bunch regardless. I feel like the general consensus is that guilt and sin are like hand in glove. Not the case in my experience.

There is a fine line between guilt and regret.  When I shared the anecdote about the woman who inadvertently left her child in the car on a hot day, I did not meant to imply that she had committed a sin.  However, I have no doubt that she felt an extreme sense of guilt/regret. I think ‘regret’ is probably the more accurate word for this type of emotion, but our culture has used the term ‘guilt’ interchangably with the feeling of regret.

Has anybody zigged when they should have zagged, hesitated to act when action was required, helped the wrong person, made the wrong decision – and by any or all of these, really hurt some people, some may have even suffered unnecessarily and or lost their lives.

Yes, I have done these things, and they may not have been sins (as they were not a conscious disloyalty to Father but mistakes of my own stupidity, immaturity or carelessness) I most definitely felt regret about them afterward.

nelsong
    Participant

Yeah, regret is a much more comfortable alternative- the response to it does not change but the word change helps perspective

sorry I missed your point

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Keryn wrote:  There is a fine line between guilt and regret.

That brings to mind the phenomenon of shame.  Shame appears to be a human emotion not shared by the animal kingdom.  We’re told that something bordering on shame appeared in the dawn mammals who preceded humans (62:2.3), so I’m thinking that it is a useful emotion.  Some people seem to have no shame but rather delight in shaming others.  Why is that?

62:5.5 Not only were such human feelings manifested in these primitive humans, but many more highly evolved sentiments were also present in rudimentary form. They were mildly cognizant of pity, shame, and reproach and were acutely conscious of love, hate, and revenge, being also susceptible to marked feelings of jealousy.

Keryn
    Participant

I agree, Bonita.  Guilt, shame, regret, they are all nuances of the same family of emotions.  Perhaps, in light of these subtly different terms, we can agree that guilt is somewhat productive in that it involves a realization of wrong doing; whereas, regret  and even shame sometimes do not follow sin but can result from one’s unfortunate mistakes.

As an aside, out of curiosity, I looked on the online dictionary to see how “guilt” is defined and, among a few definitions, is this:

a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined.
    Regret is defined as:
    to feel sorrow or remorse for (an act, fault, disappointment, etc.)
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Keryn wrote:  Perhaps, in light of these subtly different terms, we can agree that guilt is somewhat productive in that it involves a realization of wrong doing . .

I can agree with that.  Another thing that has been rattling around in my brain is this quote:

91:1.16 With those mortals who have not been delivered from the primitive bondage of fear, there is a real danger that all prayer may lead to a morbid sense of sin, unjustified convictions of guilt, real or fancied. But in modern times it is not likely that many will spend sufficient time at prayer to lead to this harmful brooding over their unworthiness or sinfulness. The dangers attendant upon the distortion and perversion of prayer consist in ignorance, superstition, crystallization, devitalization, materialism, and fanaticism.

There appears to be a connection between fear and guilt.  But the quote uses the word unjustified. I think that is important.  It also implies that prayer induces feelings of guilt.  I’m wondering if you, and others, think I’m reading this right.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Are you being critical of someone?

emanny3003
    Blocked

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Some people seem to have no shame but rather delight in shaming others.  Why is that?

Perhaps it is because the shameless are poop, manure, fertilizer, yet useful for you to target. Shameful Hypocrite.

nelsong
    Participant

Are you being critical of someone?

not intentionally:

however- I do enjoy reading your posts very much, you are intelligent and have compelling and different ideas-but there tends to be criticism in there much of the time and it is not easy for me to sort out so my question was sincere, not critical.

emanny3003
    Blocked

however- I do enjoy reading your posts very much, you are intelligent and have compelling and different ideas-but there tends to be criticism in there much of the time and it is not easy for me to sort out so my question was sincere, not critical.

Well, I am not as kind as you nelsong. I do intend to be critical but I mean it as constructive and not erosive. But other can take as they will or not take it at all. If I remained silent then that would mean that I don’t give a poop.

But I obey the law and scoop my poop. Ha Ha.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Manure degrades, like soap with which to clean yourself up after exposure to it.  It’s a natural by product and biodegradable.  It is like the weeds and leaves in the fields that blend with the soils to enrich them.  It’s just another manifestation in the cycle of the effect of sunlight on our physical world.

I think you demean yourself when you get that manure-talk going.  It’s kindergarten.

emanny3003
    Blocked

I think you demean yourself when you get that manure-talk going.  It’s kindergarten.

Take it up with Bonita who referred to me as poop and fertilizer. I said in a self deprecating manner that I follow the law and I am a dutiful pooper scooper.

Bonita meant to demean me but I took it as a joke. How about a sense of humor around here. I am not demeaned. Every time I make a full turn I have four new cheeks and I getting to like my rosy cheeks. Gives me a little color and I save money on blush. Otherwise I would look like the Coppertone girl. Ha Ha.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.