What steps can Christianity take to re-invent itself?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions What steps can Christianity take to re-invent itself?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 203 total)
  • Author
    Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  People are INTOLERANT of love, truth, goodness and beauty because in actual practice, those fine qualities HURT a “wealth accumulation” for the few that exceeds astronomical numbers…
    Aha Sab I see your intent. People in the secular “greed is good” mindset find concepts of altruism and ethics uncomfortable and hence actively oppose this quality in both, themselves and for others. Their Though Adjusters must be having a very challenging experience.
    This reminds me of the “fear” people have with what religion will do to them. This “fear is well founded.”
    Primitive man lived a life of superstitious bondage to religious fear. Modern, civilized men dread the thought of falling under the dominance of strong religious convictions. Thinking man has always feared to be held by a religion. When a strong and moving religion threatens to dominate him, he invariably tries to rationalize, traditionalize, and institutionalize it, thereby hoping to gain control of it. By such procedure, even a revealed religion becomes man-made and man-dominated. Modern men and women of intelligence evade the religion of Jesus because of their fears of what it will do to them — and with them. And all such fears are well founded. The religion of Jesus does, indeed, dominate and transform its believers, demanding that men dedicate their lives to seeking for a knowledge of the will of the Father in heaven and requiring that the energies of living be consecrated to the unselfish service of the brotherhood of man. [Paper 195:9.6, page 2083:2]
    Sabinatu
    Blocked

They mock us when they use Jesus to control our behavior for 2000 years. TUB is even more of a threat because the playing field has been leveled. We know what they know.

180:3.1 (1946.6) The eleven had scarcely ceased their discussions of the discourse on the vine and the branches when the Master, indicating that he was desirous of speaking to them further and knowing that his time was short, said: “When I have left you, be not discouraged by the enmity of the world. Be not downcast even when fainthearted believers turn against you and join hands with the enemies of the kingdom. If the world shall hate you, you should recall that it hated me even before it hated you. If you were of this world, then would the world love its own, but because you are not, the world refuses to love you. You are in this world, but your lives are not to be worldlike. I have chosen you out of the world to represent the spirit of another world even to this world from which you have been chosen. But always remember the words I have spoken to you: The servant is not greater than his master. If they dare to persecute me, they will also persecute you. If my words offend the unbelievers, so also will your words offend the ungodly. And all of this will they do to you because they believe not in me nor in Him who sent me; so will you suffer many things for the sake of my gospel. But when you endure these tribulations, you should recall that I also suffered before you for the sake of this gospel of the heavenly kingdom. *

180:3.2 (1947.1) “Many of those who will assail you are ignorant of the light of heaven, but this is not true of some who now persecute us. If we had not taught them the truth, they might do many strange things without falling under condemnation, but now, since they have known the light and presumed to reject it, they have no excuse for their attitude. He who hates me hates my Father. It cannot be otherwise; the light which would save you if accepted can only condemn you if it is knowingly rejected. And what have I done to these men that they should hate me with such a terrible hatred? Nothing, save to offer them fellowship on earth and salvation in heaven. But have you not read in the Scripture the saying: ‘And they hated me without a cause’?

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  If you were of this world, then would the world love its own, but because you are not, the world refuses to love you.
    Here we have it, the unbeliever is mightily challenged by men and women of faith, whose treasure is not of this world.
    The certainty of the God-knowing religionist should not be disturbed by the uncertainty of the doubting materialist; rather should the uncertainty of the unbeliever be mightily challenged by the profound faith and unshakable certainty of the experiential believer. [Paper  103:8.5, page 1140:5]
    Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  …If we had not taught them the truth, they might do many strange things without falling under condemnation, but now, since they have known the light and presumed to reject it, they have no excuse for their attitude. He who hates me hates my Father.…
    With revelation comes responsibility. On the cross Jesus asked the Father to forgive those who put him to death in ignorance of his true identity and purpose. Those who know full-well who Jesus is and his purpose, yet pervert the truth, cannot claim ignorance and presume upon his mercy.
    With good reason one of the religious habits we are to cultivate is to refuse  to presume on divine mercy.
    Religious habits of thinking and acting are contributory to the economy of spiritual growth. One can develop religious predispositions toward favorable reaction to spiritual stimuli, a sort of conditioned spiritual reflex. Habits which favor religious growth embrace cultivated sensitivity to divine values, recognition of religious living in others, reflective meditation on cosmic meanings, worshipful problem solving, sharing one’s spiritual life with one’s fellows, avoidance of selfishness, refusal to presume on divine mercy, living as in the presence of God. The factors of religious growth may be intentional, but the growth itself is unvaryingly unconscious. [Paper 100:1.8, page 1095:3]
    Sabinatu
    Blocked

This arrested my attention the first time I read it “….worshipful problem solving….”

I immediately started to look for the contrast – so many “solutions” to problems do nothing but trigger worse problems – the “unintended consequences”. I decided that mechanistic self-serving solutions that destroy the lives of millions of innocents as “collateral” are not “worshipful” solutions but “markedly unfit” solutions.

One person’s “purely personal evaluations” will NEVER be an “absolute” – so it is with tough love that we can quip at a “brother” when they get delusional – “get over yourself already”….I guess some men would consider that nagging, and have that fiery reaction that ends in battery – whether verbal (“…you spew vitriol…”), but usually just physical when face to face. Talk about presuming on mercy…

100:1.1 (1094.3) While religion produces growth of meanings and enhancement of values, evil always results when purely personal evaluations are elevated to the levels of absolutes.

I was hoping to receive better treatment on this TUB board than I received on others when I USE “religion” the way Papers 99 – 101 define “religion” – as the voice against war-mongering – especially against war-mongering claiming its inspiration comes from “religious” mandates, and I have. But I am asking for more. I am asking for some courageous and brave support for the RELIGION OF Jesus. We need to define ourselves as followers of Jesus because the way others have defined us is getting millions of innocents in our “social brotherhood” worldwide slaughtered. That is a crisis.

Thanks for having the conversation – we do need to define ourselves which is probably a part of the process of re-inventing ourselves.

You are NOT a “Christian” sect, at all, if the mechanistic bent of your dogmas have retrogressed your cult all the way back to a “belief” that woman does NOT share SPIRITUAL equality with man. “Get over yourself”

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  I am asking for some courageous and brave support for the RELIGION OF Jesus.
    Unfortunately some who dare to be different are still looked upon with suspicion, even among believers.
    The written word is limited in its symbolic ability to convey every nuance and subtlety of meaning and intent.
    Those with a sincere heart are able to be heard despite initial misunderstandings, as you and I have been able to do with the recent clarification on what you meant by “tolerance” not being required to such a degree amongst those already unified by mutual bonds of brotherhood.
    I remember years ago when I first came to the USA and met other Urantia Book students, the fact of kindred spirits came to life in meeting. Knowing all that usual small talk to establish norms of relating one-person-to-another was not necessary, the fundamental fact of sonship with the Father already understood on a level of brotherhood. Deeper bonds of friendship followed naturally as I became friends with those I met, friends for life, friendships I still enjoy 36 years on with and abiding desire to be living as in the presence of God.
    Sabinatu
    Blocked

It is a fool’s errand, a set-up-to-fail schtick, to re-invent something that is not “christian” to make it a better “christian”. Better off at this point in time to just get a divorce because of “irreconcilable differences”. Need a fresh wine skin….

Background on the “woe to you” rant since, after all, as we are constantly reminded by TUB readers, that Jesus was a Jew. And Jews “never forget”.  Jews have found their “Deliverer”, but it is to their advantage to keep the ridiculous and barbaric noise going about “end days” for christians – the “atonement doctrine” is a political and psychological gift that keeps on giving.

Word search for “idealists”:

5. The Financial Struggle

126:5.1 (1392.8) Gradually Jesus and his family returned to the simple life of their earlier years. Their clothes and even their food became simpler. They had plenty of milk, butter, and cheese. In season they enjoyed the produce of their garden, but each passing month necessitated the practice of greater frugality. Their breakfasts were very plain; they saved their best food for the evening meal. However, among these Jews lack of wealth did not imply social inferiority.

126:5.2 (1392.9) Already had this youth well-nigh encompassed the comprehension of how men lived in his day. And how well he understood life in the home, field, and workshop is shown by his subsequent teachings, which so repletely reveal his intimate contact with all phases of human experience.

126:5.3 (1392.10) The Nazareth chazan continued to cling to the belief that Jesus was to become a great teacher, probably the successor of the renowned Gamaliel at Jerusalem.

126:5.4 (1393.1) Apparently all Jesus’ plans for a career were thwarted. The future did not look bright as matters now developed. But he did not falter; he was not discouraged. He lived on, day by day, doing well the present duty and faithfully discharging the immediate responsibilities of his station in life. Jesus’ life is the everlasting comfort of all disappointed idealists.

126:5.5 (1393.2) The pay of a common day-laboring carpenter was slowly diminishing. By the end of this year Jesus could earn, by working early and late, only the equivalent of about twenty-five cents a day. By the next year they found it difficult to pay the civil taxes, not to mention the synagogue assessments and the temple tax of one-half shekel. During this year the tax collector tried to squeeze extra revenue out of Jesus, even threatening to take his harp.

126:5.6 (1393.3) Fearing that the copy of the Greek scriptures might be discovered and confiscated by the tax collectors, Jesus, on his fifteenth birthday, presented it to the Nazareth synagogue library as his maturity offering to the Lord.

126:5.7 (1393.4) The great shock of his fifteenth year came when Jesus went over to Sepphoris to receive the decision of Herod regarding the appeal taken to him in the dispute about the amount of money due Joseph at the time of his accidental death. Jesus and Mary had hoped for the receipt of a considerable sum of money when the treasurer at Sepphoris had offered them a paltry amount. Joseph’s brothers had taken an appeal to Herod himself, and now Jesus stood in the palace and heard Herod decree that his father had nothing due him at the time of his death. And for such an unjust decision Jesus never again trusted Herod Antipas. It is not surprising that he once alluded to Herod as “that fox.”

126:5.8 (1393.5) The close work at the carpenter’s bench during this and subsequent years deprived Jesus of the opportunity of mingling with the caravan passengers. The family supply shop had already been taken over by his uncle, and Jesus worked altogether in the home shop, where he was near to help Mary with the family. About this time he began sending James up to the camel lot to gather information about world events, and thus he sought to keep in touch with the news of the day.

126:5.9 (1393.6) As he grew up to manhood, he passed through all those conflicts and confusions which the average young persons of previous and subsequent ages have undergone. And the rigorous experience of supporting his family was a sure safeguard against his having overmuch time for idle meditation or the indulgence of mystic tendencies.

126:5.10 (1393.7) This was the year that Jesus rented a considerable piece of land just to the north of their home, which was divided up as a family garden plot. Each of the older children had an individual garden, and they entered into keen competition in their agricultural efforts. Their eldest brother spent some time with them in the garden each day during the season of vegetable cultivation. As Jesus worked with his younger brothers and sisters in the garden, he many times entertained the wish that they were all located on a farm out in the country where they could enjoy the liberty and freedom of an unhampered life. But they did not find themselves growing up in the country; and Jesus, being a thoroughly practical youth as well as an idealist, intelligently and vigorously attacked his problem just as he found it, and did everything within his power to adjust himself and his family to the realities of their situation and to adapt their condition to the highest possible satisfaction of their individual and collective longings.

126:5.11 (1393.8) At one time Jesus faintly hoped that he might be able to gather up sufficient means, provided they could collect the considerable sum of money due his father for work on Herod’s palace, to warrant undertaking the purchase of a small farm. He had really given serious thought to this plan of moving his family out into the country. But when Herod refused to pay them any of the funds due Joseph, they gave up the ambition of owning a home in the country. As it was, they contrived to enjoy much of the experience of farm life as they now had three cows, four sheep, a flock of chickens, a donkey, and a dog, in addition to the doves. Even the little tots had their regular duties to perform in the well-regulated scheme of management which characterized the home life of this Nazareth family.

126:5.12 (1394.1) With the close of this fifteenth year Jesus completed the traversal of that dangerous and difficult period in human existence, that time of transition between the more complacent years of childhood and the consciousness of approaching manhood with its increased responsibilities and opportunities for the acquirement of advanced experience in the development of a noble character. The growth period for mind and body had ended, and now began the real career of this young man of Nazareth.”

Biggest hit to “family” in USA was secular, not spiritual. Same unjust bs as back in the day of Jesus. LONG lasting consequences to follow….USA slaves were never allowed to establish that family unit of a father who loves the mother and how the soul grows and thrives in that love as it is passed on to children through the example of the parents.

Add to that the LONG lasting consequences of a pre-emptive war….

Someone has to stand up just to say, “Wasn’t the Christians.” Just the facts, Ma’am.

So between the EXPERIENTIALLY EARNED wisdom writ in TUB and the Declaration of Independence, we have our ideals and the God-given RIGHT – the rights attached with God’s Personality bestowal, the love truth beauty and goodness of God’s will is clear. Every human being, especially on Urantia with the SPirit of Truth pouring like sunshine over the HUMAN SPECIES, and with the rain that waters the growth of that seed – the Thought Adjusters – we need to have no fear in declaring that every human being has the right to make their lives less miserable through honest work. That is the “ideal”. Defending against the predator is a LAW that we need to enforce because that IS WJWD.

71:4.16 (804.16) The appearance of genuine brotherhood signifies that a social order has arrived in which all men delight in bearing one another’s burdens; they actually desire to practice the golden rule. But such an ideal society cannot be realized when either the weak or the wicked lie in wait to take unfair and unholy advantage of those who are chiefly actuated by devotion to the service of truth, beauty, and goodness. In such a situation only one course is practical: The “golden rulers” may establish a progressive society in which they live according to their ideals while maintaining an adequate defense against their benighted fellows who might seek either to exploit their pacific predilections or to destroy their advancing civilization.

71:4.17 (804.17) Idealism can never survive on an evolving planet if the idealists in each generation permit themselves to be exterminated by the baser orders of humanity. And here is the great test of idealism: Can an advanced society maintain that military preparedness which renders it secure from all attack by its war-loving neighbors without yielding to the temptation to employ this military strength in offensive operations against other peoples for purposes of selfish gain or national aggrandizement? National survival demands preparedness, and religious idealism alone can prevent the prostitution of preparedness into aggression. Only love, brotherhood, can prevent the strong from oppressing the weak.

Sabinatu
    Blocked

Paper 99, 100, 101, 102, 103 came before Section IV in TUB.

Personally, I never found a more lucid, consistent, and LIBERATING-from-confusion-and-error treatment of “religion” in any other human communication in the whole time/space continuum of the human species. Maybe some equally magnificent stuff was in the library of ALexandria before that was burnt to the ground by the rage of heathens as Caligastia played his harp – maybe not. We will never know. Nor do we ned to speculate because the existence of TUB in the “now” proves that we will always be “raised” by God.

“Religion” needs to re-invent itself. It is the SECURITY against “end times”.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  Personally, I never found a more lucid, consistent, and LIBERATING-from-confusion-and-error treatment of “religion” in any other human communication in the whole time/space continuum of the human species.
    I concur.
    The authors know whereof they speak. Look to Van, who we only know of as a result of this revelation. When he had serious doubts regarding the deviation from the ordained plan, he took his petition to a higher authority. So too, we look for the higher authority when the values we hold so dear are not forthcoming in the actions of our delegated representatives.
    Then look to Amadon, who is the outstanding human hero.

…Amadon, with a minimum of intelligence and utterly devoid of universe experience, remained steadfast in the service of the universe and in loyalty to his associate… [Paper 67:3.9, page 757:2]

Human heroism has not stopped with Amadon, the same evolutionary strain has threaded itself throughout the subsequent ages and has sprouted a thousand shoots from this vibrant root. Unsung heroes walk among us still. Remaining steadfast in the face of adversity is a tribute to human tenacity and sublime example of personal loyalty.

Take note of what a Mechizedek says of Amadon.

…this one child of nature and his determined band of 143 comrades in standing steadfast for the higher concepts of universe management and administration in the face of such tremendous and adverse pressure exerted by his disloyal superiors. And let me assure you, this has already done more good in the universe of Nebadon and the superuniverse of Orvonton than can ever be outweighed by the sum total of all the evil and sorrow of the Lucifer rebellion[Paper 67:8.4, page 762:3]

Interesting to note that the gift of The Urantia Book coincides with the beginning of the trial Gabriel vs Lucifer. The Most Highs only seized authority on Urantia  after “the final decision of the last personality was made” regarding the Lucifer manifesto.

There is no end to the recital of the stirring events of these tragic days. But at last the final decision of the last personality was made, and then, but only then, did a Most High of Edentia arrive with the emergency Melchizedeks to seize authority on Urantia. The Caligastia panoramic reign-records on Jerusem were obliterated, and the probationary era of planetary rehabilitation was inaugurated. [Paper 67:3.10, page 757:3]

I’ve often wondered why we’ve now been given the whole overview of cosmology not only from earth to heaven, as partially described in the Bible, but portrayal of the whole Master Universe, inclusive of information not usually given till an inhabited world is on the threshold of the era of Light and Life. But hey, we are told we are a whole dispensation behind in normal evolution on an inhabited world like Urantia. What is the purpose of providing such advance notice of the workings of the Master Universe?

Perhaps now that Michael of Nebadon is now sovereign of his own Local Universe it’s time for another one of those “final decisions to be made” fully informed of the reasons why our world is the way it is and how this came to be. Right up front The Urantia Book states its aim—to clear up confusion.

When Jesus was here, he was candid, saying “if it were not so I would have told you,” well, in all fairness, he is now telling us, all there is to know and more—well, as much information he and our universe family deem we are capable of comprehending without suffering the danger resulting from having only partial knowledge. Best be fully informed as possible without breaching the restriction on receiving unearned knowledge.

He was candid, but always kind. Said he, If it were not so, I would have told you.” He was frank, but always friendly. He was outspoken in his love for the sinner and in his hatred for sin. But throughout all this amazing frankness he was unerringly fair. [Paper 100:7.11, page 1102:8]

In following Jesus, there will step forward those brave souls who likewise, are similarly outspoken in their love for the sinner and actively demonstrative of their hatred for sin.

Forgiveness is extended to those who “know not what they do,” however, once informed, there is an obligation to incorporate the reality of such information and act accordingly. The Christian church stands on notice, can it reform itself in accordance with revealed truth? Can individuals come to a “final decision” regarding their faith in the Father of all creation?

We are such creatures of habit that many have fallen prey to some personally threatening habits. The unfortunate thing is, that some people have identified so closely with some of these bad habits, that the way back is too daunting. They’d rather die than change. The world is filled with such lost souls.

The world is filled with lost souls, not lost in the theologic sense but lost in the directional meaning, wandering about in confusion among the isms and cults of a frustrated philosophic era. Too few have learned how to install a philosophy of living in the place of religious authority. (The symbols of socialized religion are not to be despised as channels of growth, albeit the river bed is not the river.) [Paper 100:5.1, page 1098:4]

Into a philosophy of living a person needs a moral compass, to know right from wrong. We are spiritually equipped to the maximum, it takes a dedicated stubbornness to counter the combined inner spirit workings of Adjutants, Adjuster, Holy Spirit and Spirit of Truth. What’s the attraction of cosmic insanity?

There are many ways of looking at sin, but from the universe philosophic viewpoint sin is the attitude of a personality who is knowingly resisting cosmic reality. Error might be regarded as a misconception or distortion of reality. Evil is a partial realization of, or maladjustment to, universe realities. But sin is a purposeful resistance to divine reality — a conscious choosing to oppose spiritual progress — while iniquity consists in an open and persistent defiance of recognized reality and signifies such a degree of personality disintegration as to border on cosmic insanity. [Paper 67:1.4, page 754:5]

We are meant to have life and enjoy it in abundance, it’s so sad that there are those who engage in self-destructive habits, when there is so much potential that is not being realized.

Error suggests lack of intellectual keenness; evil, deficiency of wisdom; sin, abject spiritual poverty; but iniquity is indicative of vanishing personality control. [Paper 67:1.5, page 755:1]

The capacity to be moved with compassion is vital to personality expression.

…And when Jesus saw him in his affliction and heard his words of clinging faith, his human heart was touched, and the divine mind was moved with compassion. [Paper146:4.3 page 1643:4]

How sad that we are seeing such diminishing of tenderheartedness as materially minded men and women harden their hearts to the plight of the victims fleeing war and persecution as we see in Syria today. Then there is direct culpability of those that are perpetrators of this heinous situation. Also culpability to those in power who are empowered to prevent needless death and misery through existing international mechanisms of arbitration, but fail to co-operate on commonly agreed principles of peaceful co-existence. There is no clearer example of iniquitous acts than what is being done to the people of that country for the past three years.

And when sin has so many times been chosen and so often been repeated, it may become habitual. Habitual sinners can easily become iniquitous, become wholehearted rebels against the universe and all of its divine realities. While all manner of sins may be forgiven, we doubt whether the established iniquiter would ever sincerely experience sorrow for his misdeeds or accept forgiveness for his sins. [Paper 67:1.6, page 755:2]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  …the great test of idealism
    Thanks Sabinatu for showcasing the human challenges which beset the young Jesus, the greatest idealist who ever lived.
    As I said before, God was a man who was born like any other, lived among us a perfect life, that man is Jesus, he is with us still as the comforter, the Spirit of Truth.
    Sabinatu
    Blocked

Vern shared, “The capacity to be moved with compassion is vital to personality expression.

…And when Jesus saw him in his affliction and heard his words of clinging faith, his human heart was touched, and the divine mind was moved with compassion. [Paper146:4.3 page 1643:4]

How sad that we are seeing such diminishing of tenderheartedness as materially minded men and women harden their hearts to the plight of the victims fleeing war and persecution as we see in Syria today. Then there is direct culpability of those that are perpetrators of this heinous situation. Also culpability to those in power who are empowered to prevent needless death and misery through existing international mechanisms of arbitration, but fail to co-operate on commonly agreed principles of peaceful co-existence. There is no clearer example of iniquitous acts than what is being done to the people of that country for the past three years.”

end quote

I have compassion for those people who still feel compassion. The suffering is overwhelming and there is so much of it because it is growing exponentially along with the global increase in population. But what is most disturbing is the rise of the sadist – their use of modern communication “technology” to neutralize compassion and tenderheartedness is so effective against the NORMAL mind. The SADIST is having a grand old time, they grow more powerful with every new soul they torture – SPIRITUALLY. They LOVE their power, they LAUGH at the “mighty” they bring down – but look at WHO they are targeting. They are NOT targeting the perpetrators! They are their “contractors”. Caesar is still the “job” creator, no”

The discussion I keep having with a face-to-face friend is “what is the fatal flaw in modern man’s THINKING?” Middle Class USA did juggle, with greater success immediately after WWII, cooperation, competition, and compassion – they LIVED it successfully. Let’s be honest, the same iniquity that got unleashed in the Middle East took a buzzsaw to USA’s CIVILIZED culture FIRST. After the “creative financial instruments” buzzsawed through “housing” to pay for the initiation of perpetual war, leaving homeless and refugees littered all over the USA, all rental housing is now “For-profit” camps. Camps run by a “private” lord WHO is above the laws because he has proven himself the victor – he got away with breaking the law, so that proves that he IS the law. And these “lords” let everyone know, “Not everyone deserves to OWN a home.”

I found this article after doing an internet search for “psychological problems caused by a lack of privacy” – it is an insight into how the law of the land becomes “hardheartedness”:

http://encyclopedia.densho.org/Psychological%20effects%20of%20camp/

And if this is true, it might add to understanding the Syrian situation:

https://cigpapers.wordpress.com/2013/10/27/the-coudenhove-kalergi-plan-the-genocide-of-the-people-of-europe/

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  what is most disturbing is the rise of the sadist – their use of modern communication “technology” to neutralize compassion…
    Have you heard of the NIMBY concern (Not In My Back Yard)?  The wave of refugees we are witnessing, is having this kind of reaction from those who are having their own comfort zone affected. This however, is a symptom not the cause. Ask why are there refugees? Failure of governments in nations of Africa and the Middle East in their responsibility to care for their own citizens. Hence, social breakdown and displacement.

When people rise up and overthrow a dictator like Gadaffi, in the case of Libya, with assistance from NATO, that assistance should not have ceased with the death of Gadaffi. A nation that has never experienced democracy can’t achieve it suddenly. Support is essential to transition from a dictatorship to some form of representative government based on law. Libya was catagorically lawless after the overthrow and it has not been able to establish rule of law in absence of leadership or an administration with separation of powers, executive, legislative and judiciary, ever since. Help is required. Reason has not prevailed to give the people a sense of ownership cohesive enough to unite them to rebuild their oil rich country. The Western powers that came, based on the UN Responsibility to Protect ruling, should have stayed on to complete the task of rebuilding Libya. To get it on a firm legal constitutional footing.

Now we have the Syrian disaster which is even worse. Might is not right. Society must be given the opportunity to evolve, when it is not, we get a popular uprising which precipitates change. A wise government is able to accommodate change with small incremental progressive steps. Unfortunately the dictator mindset only knows knee-jerk use of force and discovers that application of this brutal and blunt instrument of maintaining power and control, is becoming less and less acceptable in a global community that is so interconnected and so interdependent.

Dirty deeds can no longer be done in secret, no matter how the perpetrators try to avoid the light of disclosure shining on their iniquitous acts. Problem is, civilized progressive nations, constrained by laws based on moral behaviour are simply ignored by those who have abandoned all moral constraints. We have the spectacle of the UN standing aghast, paralyzed, as the spectacle of genocidal acts flash over the world media in real time. Red lines are laid down, red lines are crossed and nothing happens to stop even greater savagery perpetrated upon the innocent. When the innocent victims take up arms in desperate defense they are branded with the curse of illegitimacy……terrorist. One man’s terrorist is another man’s freedom fighter.

I read the link you provided………it had a concern about cultural identity being adversely impacted…….. Europe’s fusion with the Third World.

I guess if we want to stand back and try and assess the situation from a planetary evolutionary point of view its an outworking of the problems inherent in the stage we are in……”The material comfort era.” An age all too often characterized by tyranny, intolerance, gluttony, and drunkenness.
    The material-comfort era. After food problems have been partially solved and some degree of security has been attained, the additional leisure is utilized to promote personal comfort. Luxury vies with necessity in occupying the center of the stage of human activities. Such an age is all too often characterized by tyranny, intolerance, gluttony, and drunkenness. The weaker elements of the races incline towards excesses and brutality. Gradually these pleasure-seeking weaklings are subjugated by the more strong and truth-loving elements of the advancing civilization. [Paper 50:5.6, page 577.1]
    All the more reason for Christianity to re-invent itself. The more strong and truth-loving elements of the advancing civilization must step forward. Time for the teachings of Jesus to be released from the constraints of the religion that bears his name yet has lost its spiritual way. The religion of Jesus must no longer be shackled to the cross which has become the burden of a godless sectarian Western culture and has become a liability. How can the saving message be accepted by other cultures, other religions?  The light which lights every mortal striving for unhindered expression of their unique God-given personality can never be identified as the sole property of Christianity, for what is freely received must be freely given that all may benefit……..sharing is Godlike.
    Vern
    Vern
    Participant

Is Christianity prepared to let go of the atonement doctrine?

Atonement has exhausted its socializing potential,  gone the full evolutionary gamut from canibalism, human sacrifice, to symbolic sacrament

The human sacrifice, throughout the course of the evolution of Urantian rituals, has advanced from the bloody business of man-eating to higher and more symbolic levels. The early rituals of sacrifice bred the later ceremonies of sacrament. In more recent times the priest alone would partake of a bit of the cannibalistic sacrifice or a drop of human blood, and then all would partake of the animal substitute. These early ideas of ransom, redemption, and covenants have evolved into the later-day sacramental services. And all this ceremonial evolution has exerted a mighty socializing influence. [Paper89:9.1, page 983:7]

Paul initiated the cult of “the blood of the everlasting covenant” which put an end to doctrines of redemption through human or animal sacrifices. The sobering truth of this theologic compromise has been that even revelation must submit to the graduated control of evolution.

The ancient social brotherhoods were based on the rite of blood drinking; the early Jewish fraternity was a sacrificial blood affair. Paul started out to build a new Christian cult on “the blood of the everlasting covenant.” And while he may have unnecessarily encumbered Christianity with teachings about blood and sacrifice, he did once and for all make an end of the doctrines of redemption through human or animal sacrifices. His theologic compromises indicate that even revelation must submit to the graduated control of evolution. According to Paul, Christ became the last and all-sufficient human sacrifice; the divine Judge is now fully and forever satisfied. [Paper89:9.3, page 984:2]

The potency of the sacrament is in its mystic symbolism.

And so, after long ages the cult of the sacrifice has evolved into the cult of the sacrament. Thus are the sacraments of modern religions the legitimate successors of those shocking early ceremonies of human sacrifice and the still earlier cannibalistic rituals. Many still depend upon blood for salvation, but it has at least become figurative, symbolic, and mystic. [Paper89:9.4, page 984:3]

Civilized men and women, believing Christians, have arrived at a place of elevated thinking in which their God concept is finally managing to go beyond delimiting notions of anthropomorphism.

Man could never even dream of entering into a contract with Deity until his concept of God had advanced to the level whereon the universe controllers were envisioned as dependable. And man’s early idea of God was so anthropomorphic that he was unable to conceive of a dependable Deity until he himself became relatively dependable, moral, and ethical. [Paper89:8.5, page 983:3]

For intelligent men and women to get right with God requires a new understanding of the relationship and how the notion of sin and forgiveness need to be redefined.

Sin must be redefined as deliberate disloyalty to Deity. There are degrees of disloyalty: the partial loyalty of indecision; the divided loyalty of confliction; the dying loyalty of indifference; and the death of loyalty exhibited in devotion to godless ideals. [Paper89:10.2, page 984:5]

The distinction between conscience and sin needs to be made.

The sense or feeling of guilt is the consciousness of the violation of the mores; it is not necessarily sin. There is no real sin in the absence of conscious disloyalty to Deity. [Paper 89:10.3, page 984:6]

Being right with God on the inside is the most redeeming experience a person can have. The Father’s forgiveness is there before you thought to ask.

The forgiveness of sin by Deity is the renewal of loyalty relations following a period of the human consciousness of the lapse of such relations as the consequence of conscious rebellion. The forgiveness does not have to be sought, only received as the consciousness of re-establishment of loyalty relations between the creature and the Creator. And all the loyal sons of God are happy, service-loving, and ever-progressive in the Paradise ascent. [Paper 89:10.6, page 985:1]

The child, being immature and lacking in the fuller understanding of the depth of the child-father relationship, must frequently feel a sense of guilty separation from a father’s full approval, but the true father is never conscious of any such separation. We are all children in the face of eternity after all, there is much to experience, many lessons to be learned. The capacity to understand and then in the light of understanding, to forgive, is Godlike

“When a wise man understands the inner impulses of his fellows, he will love them. And when you love your brother, you have already forgiven him. This capacity to understand man’s nature and forgive his apparent wrongdoing is Godlike. If you are wise parents, this is the way you will love and understand your children, even forgive them when transient misunderstanding has apparently separated you. The child, being immature and lacking in the fuller understanding of the depth of the child-father relationship, must frequently feel a sense of guilty separation from a father’s full approval, but the true father is never conscious of any such separation. Sin is an experience of creature consciousness; it is not a part of God’s consciousness.” [Paper 174:1.4, page 1898:4]

Jesus tells each one of us directly that “your  inability or unwillingness to forgive your fellows is the measure of your immaturity.”

Your inability or unwillingness to forgive your fellows is the measure of your immaturity, your failure to attain adult sympathy, understanding, and love. You hold grudges and nurse vengefulness in direct proportion to your ignorance of the inner nature and true longings of your children and your fellow beings. Love is the outworking of the divine and inner urge of life. It is founded on understanding, nurtured by unselfish service, and perfected in wisdom.” [Paper 174:1.5, page 1898:5]

You create the capacity in your own soul for the reception of the reality of God’s forgiveness of your own misdeeds when you extend forgiveness to your fellows.

Jesus taught that sin is not the child of a defective nature but rather the offspring of a knowing mind dominated by an unsubmissive will. Regarding sin, he taught that God has forgiven; that we make such forgiveness personally available by the act of forgiving our fellows. When you forgive your brother in the flesh, you thereby create the capacity in your own soul for the reception of the reality of God’s forgiveness of your own misdeeds. [Paper 170:2.23, page 1861:5]

Interesting definition of sin there, directly related to freewill choice.

Sin—offspring of a knowing mind dominated by an unsubmissive will.

Sabinatu
    Blocked

@Vern, you wrote, ”

Atonement has exhausted its socializing potential,  gone the full evolutionary gamut from canibalism, human sacrifice, to symbolic sacrament

The human sacrifice, throughout the course of the evolution of Urantian rituals, has advanced from the bloody business of man-eating to higher and more symbolic levels. The early rituals of sacrifice bred the later ceremonies of sacrament. In more recent times the priest alone would partake of a bit of the cannibalistic sacrifice or a drop of human blood, and then all would partake of the animal substitute. These early ideas of ransom, redemption, and covenants have evolved into the later-day sacramental services. And all this ceremonial evolution has exerted a mighty socializing influence. [Paper89:9.1, page 983:7]

I agree with you that the Atonement Doctrine is a bankrupt RELIGIOUS doctrine because I just re-read Papers 99 -103.

The Atonement Doctrine is currently serving a psychological purpose for the philosophic Nihilists who point to that doctrine to take away “religion” – the “religion” discussed in Papers 99 – 103.

How can a scapegoating barbaric rabble-rousing psyche-ops seeking to end free will through “faith” in the power of an atonement doctrine possibly be of any use to “modern man” who suffers from the poverty of the materialist’s Nihilism?!:

102:0.1 (1118.1) TO THE unbelieving materialist, man is simply an evolutionary accident. His hopes of survival are strung on a figment of mortal imagination; his fears, loves, longings, and beliefs are but the reaction of the incidental juxtaposition of certain lifeless atoms of matter. No display of energy nor expression of trust can carry him beyond the grave. The devotional labors and inspirational genius of the best of men are doomed to be extinguished by death, the long and lonely night of eternal oblivion and soul extinction. Nameless despair is man’s only reward for living and toiling under the temporal sun of mortal existence. Each day of life slowly and surely tightens the grasp of a pitiless doom which a hostile and relentless universe of matter has decreed shall be the crowning insult to everything in human desire which is beautiful, noble, lofty, and good.

Same Paper, page 1135 – “Theology is always the study of your religion; the study of another’s religion is psychology.

I have grown tired of the psychological manipulation of non-Christians when it comes to “sin” and forgiveness”. They are predators. They pre-emptive strike you with a blow, and tell you that you must forgive their sin. That is sadism at its purist – my psychological opinion of THEIR schtick. They NEVER say, “please forgive me, my bad”, do they? Nope. It is a shrug of the shoulders accompanied by a “Meh, boyz will be boyz” because according to THEIR religion, they have a law for themselves and a law for others. YOUR religion, as a Christian, is the “other” and YOU must forgive them because if you don’t, God won’t forgive you. News flash – maybe God and I are good with each other and even if not, go ahead and pull that schtick with God, how would that work? Telling God he must forgive you for sin otherwise He is being a hypocrite?

102:6.8 (1125.3) To science God is a possibility, to psychology a desirability, to philosophy a probability, to religion a certainty, an actuality of religious experience. Reason demands that a philosophy which cannot find the God of probability should be very respectful of that religious faith which can and does find the God of certitude. Neither should science discount religious experience on grounds of credulity, not so long as it persists in the assumption that man’s intellectual and philosophic endowments emerged from increasingly lesser intelligences the further back they go, finally taking origin in primitive life which was utterly devoid of all thinking and feeling.

There is SO MUCH richness in Papers 99 -103. Why can’t we talk about any of that?

Let’s start with something simple to agree upon – IMMEDIATELY:

99:2.5 (1087.8) The institutionalized church may have appeared to serve society in the past by glorifying the established political and economic orders, but it must speedily cease such action if it is to survive. Its only proper attitude consists in the teaching of nonviolence, the doctrine of peaceful evolution in the place of violent revolution — peace on earth and good will among all men.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:  …Its only proper attitude consists in the teaching of nonviolence…
    I concur.
    We are in agreement on the treasures to be found in Papers 99 to 103 in particular, for those of us who seek understanding on the challenges we face today. And pertaining to this topic of “What steps can Christianity take to re-invent itself?”

In promoting a doctrine of peaceful evolution the Christian church would have the opportunity to act in a manner to regain social respect which is has currently lost. It can then resume function in these three essential domains:
    1. as a moral stabilizer.
    2. as a social guide.
    3. as spiritual pilot.

Modern religion finds it difficult to adjust its attitude toward the rapidly shifting social changes only because it has permitted itself to become so thoroughly traditionalized, dogmatized, and institutionalized. The religion of living experience finds no difficulty in keeping ahead of all these social developments and economic upheavals, amid which it ever functions as a moral stabilizer, social guide, and spiritual pilot. True religion carries over from one age to another the worth-while culture and that wisdom which is born of the experience of knowing God and striving to be like him. [Paper99:2.6, page 1088:1]

All this continuity resultant from a living true religion carried over from one age to another predicated on the experience of knowing God and striving to be like him. We have some way to go yet teaching of nonviolence would be a good place to start.

After all, peacemakers are happy, they are the sons of God and peacemaking is the cure of distrust and suspicion.

1. Personal peace integrates personality.
    2. Social peace prevents fear…
    3. Political peace prevents race antagonisms…

“Happy are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the sons of God.” Jesus’ hearers were longing for military deliverance, not for peacemakers. But Jesus’ peace is not of the pacific and negative kind. In the face of trials and persecutions he said, “My peace I leave with you.” “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” This is the peace that prevents ruinous conflicts. Personal peace integrates personality. Social peace prevents fear, greed, and anger. Political peace prevents race antagonisms, national suspicions, and war. Peacemaking is the cure of distrust and suspicion. [Paper 140:5.18, page 1575:3]

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 203 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.