The Reality of Religious Experience – Paper 103

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Reality of Religious Experience – Paper 103

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Jesus explained how to deal with metaphysical fictions when he told Simon to refrain from trying to “take something out” of the hearts of men.  He was talking about those metaphysical patches placed by people in the fabric of their minds in order to cover the holes and gaps created by a lack of mota/revelation.  Mind is unity, and it will automatically fill in those gaps with invented reality.  To remove them would cause chaos – who can adequately think with a swiss cheese mind filled with empty vacuoles where ideas simply disappear into little black holes? It would cause an otherwise good soul to freak-out!

Instead, Jesus told Simon to labor to put something into souls instead, and that something would be an abundance of truth, beauty and goodness.  This, explained Jesus, would crowd out the error and replace it.  It’s not unlike how new skin forms under a scab.  If you pull off a scab too soon it reactivates the injury and won’t heal; it festers.  Leaving the scab on works best because the new skin beneath gently lifts it off and all is whole and healthy in the end.

But this only addresses the situation where a person recognizes metaphysical fictions in another person’s psyche.  It does not address how to discover and recognize one in your own psychic milieu.  But wouldn’t the same apply?  Isn’t it best to simply seek truth, beauty and goodness with a whole heart and mind, then allow it to crowd out all misconceptions, errors and fictions?  Rather than self-analysis, I think the approach should be prayerful living, as though in the presence of God, thus always humbly and sincerely seeking what is truly real, while at the same time, knowing that the seeking never ceases.  Such an attitude becomes a habit, a way of life, which would naturally influence the same approach toward others.

I think TUB calls this process auto-revelation.  Old ideas gradually get new meanings and fall off like a dead scabs. It’s about growth, the process of which is completely unconscious, so analyzing it will get you nowhere.  The process of growing new skin under the old is essentially imperceptible until the scab finally falls off.  When that happens, you’re like, Wow! This is great!. I’m so happy, I feel like new. Let me tell someone! (aka, socialization of the personality).

56:10.14  . . .  Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Dear Bonita — this is one of the best insights (and so beautifully expressed) I’ve seen for years:

Jesus explained how to deal with metaphysical fictions when he told Simon to refrain from trying to “take something out” of the hearts of men. He was talking about those metaphysical patches placed by people in the fabric of their minds in order to cover the holes and gaps created by a lack of mota/revelation. […]

For those following along, please see Bonita’s full comment above.  Worth a 2nd (and 3rd) look.

Wow. Thanks for such contributions!

Nigel

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I can’t tell you how much I appreciate the feedback Nigel.  Thank you very much.

Gene
    Participant

Jesus explained how to deal with metaphysical fictions when he told Simon to refrain from trying to “take something out” of the hearts of men. He was talking about those metaphysical patches placed by people in the fabric of their minds in order to cover the holes and gaps created by a lack of mota/revelation. Mind is unity, and it will automatically fill in those gaps with invented reality. To remove them would cause chaos – who can adequately think with a swiss cheese mind filled with empty vacuoles where ideas simply disappear into little black holes? It would cause an otherwise good soul to freak-out! Instead, Jesus told Simon to labor to put something into souls instead, and that something would be an abundance of truth, beauty and goodness. This, explained Jesus, would crowd out the error and replace it. It’s not unlike how new skin forms under a scab. If you pull off a scab too soon it reactivates the injury and won’t heal; it festers. Leaving the scab on works best because the new skin beneath gently lifts it off and all is whole and healthy in the end. But this only addresses the situation where a person recognizes metaphysical fictions in another person’s psyche. It does not address how to discover and recognize one in your own psychic milieu. But wouldn’t the same apply? Isn’t it best to simply seek truth, beauty and goodness with a whole heart and mind, then allow it to crowd out all misconceptions, errors and fictions? Rather than self-analysis, I think the approach should be prayerful living, as though in the presence of God, thus always humbly and sincerely seeking what is truly real, while at the same time, knowing that the seeking never ceases. Such an attitude becomes a habit, a way of life, which would naturally influence the same approach toward others. I think TUB calls this process auto-revelation. Old ideas gradually get new meanings and fall off like a dead scabs. It’s about growth, the process of which is completely unconscious, so analyzing it will get you nowhere. The process of growing new skin under the old is essentially imperceptible until the scab finally falls off. When that happens, you’re like, Wow! This is great!. I’m so happy, I feel like new. Let me tell someone! (aka, socialization of the personality).

56:10.14 . . . Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification.

there seem to be an over abundance of people freaking out these days with little truth beauty or goodness making its way into so many hungry minds.

i wonder how the lack of Adamic biological upgrade has impacted our ability to deal with creating metaphysical patches?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

i wonder how the lack of Adamic biological upgrade has impacted our ability to deal with creating metaphysical patches?

Excellent thought. Personally, I think it has more to do with modern society than DNA.  Myths are being shattered by science so people are using science as metaphysical patches – turning science into myth, not unlike the great flood.  TUB refers to materialism as a “false science”.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Jesus explained how to deal with metaphysical fictions when he told Simon to refrain from trying to “take something out” of the hearts of men. He was talking about those metaphysical patches placed by people in the fabric of their minds in order to cover the holes and gaps created by a lack of mota/revelation. Mind is unity, and it will automatically fill in those gaps with invented reality. To remove them would cause chaos – who can adequately think with a swiss cheese mind filled with empty vacuoles where ideas simply disappear into little black holes? It would cause an otherwise good soul to freak-out! Instead, Jesus told Simon to labor to put something into souls instead, and that something would be an abundance of truth, beauty and goodness. This, explained Jesus, would crowd out the error and replace it. It’s not unlike how new skin forms under a scab. If you pull off a scab too soon it reactivates the injury and won’t heal; it festers. Leaving the scab on works best because the new skin beneath gently lifts it off and all is whole and healthy in the end. But this only addresses the situation where a person recognizes metaphysical fictions in another person’s psyche. It does not address how to discover and recognize one in your own psychic milieu. But wouldn’t the same apply? Isn’t it best to simply seek truth, beauty and goodness with a whole heart and mind, then allow it to crowd out all misconceptions, errors and fictions? Rather than self-analysis, I think the approach should be prayerful living, as though in the presence of God, thus always humbly and sincerely seeking what is truly real, while at the same time, knowing that the seeking never ceases. Such an attitude becomes a habit, a way of life, which would naturally influence the same approach toward others. I think TUB calls this process auto-revelation. Old ideas gradually get new meanings and fall off like a dead scabs. It’s about growth, the process of which is completely unconscious, so analyzing it will get you nowhere. The process of growing new skin under the old is essentially imperceptible until the scab finally falls off. When that happens, you’re like, Wow! This is great!. I’m so happy, I feel like new. Let me tell someone! (aka, socialization of the personality).

56:10.14 . . . Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification.

Thank you Bonita, for putting something into our souls.

All the best!

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

All the best to you too Enno and thanks for the feedback.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

All the best to you too Enno and thanks for the feedback.

You’re welcome.

You know, stopping to pick at scabs (mine and especially those of others) has been something I’ve been working on recently and it was quite helpful when I read your post, how your insight into habits and picking at scabs, put it into its proper perspective for me. And because of it, I will always keep it in mind like that from now on.

Thanks again Bonita.

Enno

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thank you so much for sharing that Enno.  I can’t tell you how much it means to me.

We’re all alike in that way, impatiently picking at our own scabs.  For one thing, they itch.  Deep inside we must know that they have to go.  Back in the day when TUB first arrived on my shores I had many metaphysical scabs itching to come off.  There were some things I knew in my heart were not real but I had no suitable replacement, so they sat there getting crustier.  Those things were concepts such as: original sin; hell; meddling devils; a vengeful god who flooded the whole planet; an ark full of animals; the land of Nod thing; the virgin birth, etc.. Revelation closed those gaps and the scabs fell off almost instantly. What a relief!  Finally something that made sense and had that REAL feel.

We’ve all had that experience on some level and want to share it.  But I think each person in his own time and according to the make-up of his/her psyche, not to mention where their psyches are on the circle journey.  None of us know where another person is on this spectrum. We don’t even know where we, ourselves, are. So, patience is required.  Time is necessary.  Thankfully mercy credits are abundant for those times when we can’t seem to stop ourselves from scratching and oozing.

Way, way back in the day when I was in nursing we had to wear white uniforms, stockings, shoes and caps, as well as a pin from the school we graduated.  Times were changing rapidly and the caps went, as did the pins, but some of us wore other adornments.  I worked in the ICU and most of my patients were barely conscious, so I was a bit bold.  I found a pin that said: ” Germ-free environment. Please refrain from dropping scabs and oozing pus.”  It got a mixed response.  Don’t know what happened to that thing.  Would love to find it.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thank you Bonita!!

Such insightful illuminations which deliver greater clarity, focus, frame of reference, context, and perspective.  All critical adjustments for us all related to universe reality…and such meanings clearly showcase the value of epochal revelation in improving the quality of and The Reality of ….Religious Experience!!  The adding of that which clarifies truth and removes the impurities of human misconceptions and the metaphysical fictions created in mind as a substitute for the realities still to discover is such a welcome blessing!!

8. Philosophy and Religion

103:8.1 (1140.1) Although both science and philosophy may assume the probability of God by their reason and logic, only the personal religious experience of a spirit-led man can affirm the certainty of such a supreme and personal Deity. By the technique of such an incarnation of living truth the philosophic hypothesis of the probability of God becomes a religious reality.

103:8.2 (1140.2) The confusion about the experience of the certainty of God arises out of the dissimilar interpretations and relations of that experience by separate individuals and by different races of men. The experiencing of God may be wholly valid, but the discourse about God, being intellectual and philosophical, is divergent and oftentimes confusingly fallacious.

103:8.3 (1140.3) A good and noble man may be consummately in love with his wife but utterly unable to pass a satisfactory written examination on the psychology of marital love. Another man, having little or no love for his spouse, might pass such an examination most acceptably. The imperfection of the lover’s insight into the true nature of the beloved does not in the least invalidate either the reality or sincerity of his love.

103:8.4 (1140.4) If you truly believe in God—by faith know him and love him—do not permit the reality of such an experience to be in any way lessened or detracted from by the doubting insinuations of science, the caviling of logic, the postulates of philosophy, or the clever suggestions of well-meaning souls who would create a religion without God.

103:8.5 (1140.5) The certainty of the God-knowing religionist should not be disturbed by the uncertainty of the doubting materialist; rather should the uncertainty of the unbeliever be mightily challenged by the profound faith and unshakable certainty of the experiential believer.

103:8.6 (1140.6) Philosophy, to be of the greatest service to both science and religion, should avoid the extremes of both materialism and pantheism. Only a philosophy which recognizes the reality of personality—permanence in the presence of change—can be of moral value to man, can serve as a liaison between the theories of material science and spiritual religion. Revelation is a compensation for the frailties of evolving philosophy.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thanks Bradly.  I agree. The reality of religious experience is a personal revelation.  But isn’t 103:8.2 interesting in that it declares that race influences a person’s religious experience.  Given the recent lengthy discussion about race and adjutants, where does this fit in, especially given that revelation is not adjutant derived?  What’s the link between race and the morontia soul given the information that racial characteristics follow us to the mansion worlds? It wouldn’t be physical in nature, but mindal on some level, but not adjutant mind, right?

Gene
    Participant

If I may give my 2cents:

isnt it true that six Sangik races have a tendency to favor one of the first six adjutants?
    1. spirit of intuition indigo race
    2. spirit of understanding green race
    3. spirit of courage orange race
    4. spirit of knowledge blue race
    5. spirit of counsel yellow race
    6. spirit of worship red race
    Then, after Adam and an Eve come to blend the Sangik races, the violet race should emerge after blending the above and tend to favor the seventh Adjutant, the spirit of wisdom.

sounds very racial to me this connection between Adjutant and race. Don’t you think we have an orange commander in chief? 🦁

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

isnt it true that six Sangik races have a tendency to favor one of the first six adjutants?

Are you able to provide supporting references from the Revelation which you believe confirms your proposition to be true?

Don’t you think we have an orange commander in chief? 🦁

If the color-coding thing is true, then YUP, I think we do. But what about the wisdom thing?

Gene
    Participant

Can’t prove by direct quotes

so many things and beings if not all that have to do with the ascension plan tend to be in groups of seven starting at the top and stepping down to us lowly tadpoles.

Whats the lowest order of seven that has anything to do with animal and human response to same – the Adjutants.

I suppose I’m guilty of reading between the lines, otherwise all men are created equal and that’s not possible or logical.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Bradly. I agree. The reality of religious experience is a personal revelation. But isn’t 103:8.2 interesting in that it declares that race influences a person’s religious experience. Given the recent lengthy discussion about race and adjutants, where does this fit in, especially given that revelation is not adjutant derived? What’s the link between race and the morontia soul given the information that racial characteristics follow us to the mansion worlds? It wouldn’t be physical in nature, but mindal on some level, but not adjutant mind, right?

Rightly or wrongly I have always assumed the term used in this line:  “The confusion about the experience of the certainty of God arises out of the dissimilar interpretations and relations of that experience by separate individuals and by different races of men.” – meant different cultures of people rather than races as determined by color.  But I can say there are distinctions in my white family’s Baptist church and the black side of my family’s Baptist church experiences and expressions of worship and song.  Weddings and funerals too!  But I fear any distinctions I might articulate would primarily illuminate my ignorance and unwise generalizations.  Read recently in the UB that one’s religious experience began with simple dancing…the physical expression of the inner response to Spirit.

I notice that the UB seems to lament that on Uranita, the colored races were so genocidal toward one another before the Adamic blood became available and that each color of the 6 has important and valuable genetic contributions to make to the aboriginal and the resulting amalgamation results on more normal worlds.  We’re told how much more intelligent were ALL the colored races compared to the aboriginal Andonic stock.  Consider how amalgamation works on a normal world where the Prince arrives so much sooner after the aboriginal first people and the 6 colors come individually and geographically separated and the violet is universally distributed which all results in a much more dispersed and evenly integrated genetic pool which takes the best from each to evolve the all.

It would seem that the Mansion World distinction must only be effective or relevant during the earlier mortal epochs.  This might provide important emotional continuity for such souls as I doubt our new morontial bodies perpetuate racial distinctions…but again I generalize from ignorance.  If not adjutant related, then either the mortal mind or the soul would need some differential or distinct relational response and recognition related to the Thought Adjuster?  Mystery to me.

;-)

Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 230 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.