The Reality of Religious Experience – Paper 103

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Reality of Religious Experience – Paper 103

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 230 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant
    I thought about how to approach this then slept on it. I think a long-winded essay may not be the best approach because there is so much to say on the subject.

“True but philosophy is sort of a ministry, it originates with the Trinity, no? Then starts it’s journy to us with the Masters of Philosophy (primary seconaphem on Paradise I believe) and makes its way to us.”

This sounds like you’re saying that philosophy is perfect in Paradise but in order to get down to us it needs to be watered down and turned into pap so it can be spoon fed to us by celestials. That’s not how it works. Philosophy is not a ministry separate from mind ministry, it’s actually a level of reality and in the finite world, there are three levels of reality: material, mindal and spiritual. (196:3.2) Philosophy is mindal and therefore in the middle, the cosmic connection between the other two. Breaking down quote 196:3.2 those three levels of reality are explained in greater detail with five equivalents each:

1. Fact, science, reason, physical reality, thing.
    2. Idea, philosophy, wisdom, intellectual reality, meaning.
    3. Relation, truth, faith, spiritual reality, value.

First let me say that there are definitely ascending levels of philosophy just as there are ascending levels of wisdom. In fact, wisdom has two origins, one is existential, the other is experiential. (19:2.4) We humans begin at the experiential bottom of both wisdom and philosophy, and our goal is to develop the ability to transfer our wisdom and philosophy from the adjutant level to the higher level of philosophy in the soul, which is provided by the Spirit of Truth. (101:3.2) The cosmic mind ministry also provides a reaction, like gravity, which helps us recognize the reality of a philosophical ideal (16:6.7), but again, this recognition requires the higher discriminatory ability of the soul. Philosophy cannot be ready-made for us because it must be something we develop through our own experience. Philosophy is not philosophy without some level of comprehension of one’s existence within a given environment. Existential philosophies would be useless out here in the words of time and space. Here in the finite world our personalities must gather together every observation then reflect upon its meaning, and then form a philosophy. Philosophy, as described in TUB, is the personality observing its own observations.(112:2.12) In other words, reflective thinking on one’s own experience. This is essentially the same definition for wisdom which adds meaning to those observations. (102:3.9) Without the comprehension of meaning there can be no philosophy. This means wisdom plays a critical role in its development. Philosophy actually grows out of wisdom. (133:5.4) Essentially wisdom and philosophy are the same thing and it all begins with mind ministry to the individual personality, starting at the adjutant level and working its way up to the superadjutant, superphilosophical level of mota sensitivity in the soul. (102:3.2) Philosophy is all about meanings and meanings evolve from a purely material philosophy up to a spiritual philosophy. But meanings are dependent upon wisdom which is defined as, ” – knowledge directed by experiential reason and illuminated by divine revelation.” (92:2.1) So, before I go any further, please let me know if you have any problems or questions with what I’ve said so far. RELATED QUOTES

16:6.7 2. Duty — the reality domain of morals in the philosophic realm, the arena of reason, the recognition of relative right and wrong. This is the judicial form of the cosmic discrimination. 19:2.4 Wisdom is twofold in origin, being derived from the perfection of divine insight inherent in perfect beings and from the personal experience acquired by evolutionary creatures. 101.3.2 Faith-insight, or spiritual intuition, is the endowment of the cosmic mind in association with the Thought Adjuster, which is the Father’s gift to man. Spiritual reason, soul intelligence, is the endowment of the Holy Spirit, the Creative Spirit’s gift to man. Spiritual philosophy, the wisdom of spirit realities, is the endowment of the Spirit of Truth, the combined gift of the bestowal Sons to the children of men. And the co-ordination and interassociation of these spirit endowments constitute man a spirit personality in potential destiny. 102.3.2 Religious speculation is inevitable but always detrimental; speculation invariably falsifies its object. Speculation tends to translate religion into something material or humanistic, and thus, while directly interfering with the clarity of logical thought, it indirectly causes religion to appear as a function of the temporal world, the very world with which it should everlastingly stand in contrast. Therefore will religion always be characterized by paradoxes, the paradoxes resulting from the absence of the experiential connection between the material and the spiritual levels of the universe — morontia mota, the superphilosophic sensitivity for truth discernment and unity perception. 102:3.9 Knowledge yields pride in the fact of personality; wisdom is the consciousness of the meaning of personality; religion is the experience of cognizance of the value of personality; revelation is the assurance of personality survival. 112:2.12 In science the human self observes the material world; philosophy is the observation of this observation of the material world; religion, true spiritual experience, is the experiential realization of the cosmic reality of the observation of the observation of all this relative synthesis of the energy materials of time and space. To build a philosophy of the universe on an exclusive materialism is to ignore the fact that all things material are initially conceived as real in the experience of human consciousness. The observer cannot be the thing observed; evaluation demands some degree of transcendence of the thing which is evaluated. 196.3.2 There are just three elements in universal reality: fact, idea, and relation. The religious consciousness identifies these realities as science, philosophy, and truth. Philosophy would be inclined to view these activities as reason, wisdom, and faith — physical reality, intellectual reality, and spiritual reality. We are in the habit of designating these realities as thing, meaning, and value.

much to digest. But a bit short on questions – no problems however.

thx for the references and insights.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Bonita…I’m with you too.  I find it very interesting and topical to the Paper.  Reminds me of mota and how morontial reality and mind lie between the spirit and material realms.

I am reminded of bridges, hiways, tendons, and those connective devices which attach and empower functional relationships between divergent and differentiated realities.  Philosophy is probably both ascending and descending in its perspective depending on the personality engaged? Or does it always aspire upward toward Spirit?  What do Spirits philosophize about?

Some questions for us Gene.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Philosophy is probably both ascending and descending in its perspective depending on the personality engaged? Or does it always aspire upward toward Spirit?

We humans are always aspiring upward while spirit is continuously reaching downward.  That’s the definition of beauty (56:10.13), and in turn, the experience of true beauty urges us to worship. (167:6.5) Think about it.  We creatures are instinctively wired for worship outreach and our Creators are instinctively wired to respond.  Our adjutant mind ministry is the up escalator to the soul, once the Spirit of Truth is allowed to work on what we present to him, our minds are transformed and re-created (100:7.18; 156:5.2), thus possibly moving a millimeter closer to him and a new morontia level of thinking.

RELATED QUOTES

56:10.3 Philosophy you somewhat grasp, and divinity you comprehend in worship, social service, and personal spiritual experience, but the pursuit of beauty—cosmology—you all too often limit to the study of man’s crude artistic endeavors. Beauty, art, is largely a matter of the unification of contrasts. Variety is essential to the concept of beauty. The supreme beauty, the height of finite art, is the drama of the unification of the vastness of the cosmic extremes of Creator and creature. Man finding God and God finding man—the creature becoming perfect as is the Creator—that is the supernal achievement of the supremely beautiful, the attainment of the apex of cosmic art.

100:7.18 Jesus was the perfectly unified human personality. And today, as in Galilee, he continues to unify mortal experience and to co-ordinate human endeavors. He unifies life, ennobles character, and simplifies experience. He enters the human mind to elevate, transform, and transfigure it. It is literally true: “If any man has Christ Jesus within him, he is a new creature; old things are passing away; behold, all things are becoming new.”

156:5.2 . . . Let every man make sure that the intellectual and moral foundations of character are such as will adequately support the superstructure of the enlarging and ennobling spiritual nature, which is thus to transform the mortal mind and then, in association with that re-created mind, is to achieve the evolvement of the soul of immortal destiny. Your spirit nature — the jointly created soul — is a living growth, but the mind and morals of the individual are the soil from which these higher manifestations of human development and divine destiny must spring. The soil of the evolving soul is human and material, but the destiny of this combined creature of mind and spirit is spiritual and divine.

167:6.5   It was also at Jericho, in connection with the discussion of the early religious training of children in habits of divine worship, that Jesus impressed upon his apostles the great value of beauty as an influence leading to the urge to worship, especially with children. The Master by precept and example taught the value of worshiping the Creator in the midst of the natural surroundings of creation. He preferred to commune with the heavenly Father amidst the trees and among the lowly creatures of the natural world. He rejoiced to contemplate the Father through the inspiring spectacle of the starry realms of the Creator Sons.

What do Spirits philosophize about?

Maybe how best to serve, how best to solve problems? . . . among others.   I think a lot depends on what level of spirit being you’re talking about. There are differing levels of capacity for philosophical thinking and experience (wisdom) plays a critical part.  I’m reminded about what the Mighty Messenger who wrote paper 54 said about philosophy:

(620.2) 54:6.10 As you ascend in the survival experience, you will broaden your universe concepts and extend your horizon of meanings and values; and thus will you be able the better to understand why such beings as Lucifer and Satan are permitted to continue in rebellion. You will also better comprehend how ultimate (if not immediate) good can be derived from time-limited evil. After you attain Paradise, you will really be enlightened and comforted when you listen to the superaphic philosophers discuss and explain these profound problems of universe adjustment. But even then, I doubt that you will be fully satisfied in your own minds. At least I was not even when I had thus attained the acme of universe philosophy. I did not achieve a full comprehension of these complexities until after I had been assigned to administrative duties in the superuniverse, where by actual experience I have acquired conceptual capacity adequate for the comprehension of such many-sided problems in cosmic equity and spiritual philosophy. As you ascend Paradiseward, you will increasingly learn that many problematic features of universe administration can only be comprehended subsequent to the acquirement of increased experiential capacity and to the achievement of enhanced spiritual insight. Cosmic wisdom is essential to the understanding of cosmic situations.

Gene
    Participant

Targeting philosophy by a little condescension:

from the top are diety activities: cosmic realities, mind meanings and spirit values.

how we comprehend divinity and it’s unifying and coordinating qualities: truth, beauty and goodness.

how personality correlates truth beauty and goodness: love, mercy and ministry.

non-personal expression of truth, beauty and goodness: justice, power and sovereignty.

elements of universal realities: fact, idea and relation.

identified by religious consciousness as: science, philosophy and wisdom.

Also thinking where Philosophy fits in when considering the levels of meaning:

147:4.3

“1. The level of the flesh. Such a purely selfish and lustful interpretation would be well exemplified by the supposition of your question.
    “2. The level of the feelings. This plane is one level higher than that of the flesh and implies that sympathy and pity would enhance one’s interpretation of this rule of living.
    “3. The level of mind. Now come into action the reason of mind and the intelligence of experience. Good judgment dictates that such a rule of living should be interpreted in consonance with the highest idealism embodied in the nobility of profound self-respect.
    “4. The level of brotherly love. Still higher is discovered the level of un- selfish devotion to the welfare of one’s fellows. On this higher plane of whole- hearted social service growing out of the consciousness of the fatherhood of God and the consequent recognition of the brotherhood of man, there is dis- covered a new and far more beautiful interpretation of this basic rule of life.
    “5. The moral level. And then when you attain true philosophic levels of interpretation, when you have real insight into the rightness and wrongness of things, when you perceive the eternal fitness of human relationships, you will begin to view such a problem of interpretation as you would imagine a high- minded, idealistic, wise, and impartial third person would so view and interpret such an injunction as applied to your personal problems of adjustment to your life situations.
    “6. The spiritual level. And then last, but greatest of all, we attain the level of spirit insight and spiritual interpretation which impels us to recognize in this rule of life the divine command to treat all men as we conceive God would treat them. That is the universe ideal of human relationships. And this is your attitude toward all such problems when your supreme desire is ever to do the Father’s will. I would, therefore, that you should do to all men that which you know I would do to them in like circumstances

seems to me it can fit into all but #1???

or how does it fit into the 3 cosmic intuitions: logical, moral and spiritual??

possibly all 3??

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Sorry.  Not following you.  What is it that you’re trying to fit into things? Lost me.

Gene
    Participant

Sorry. Not following you. What is it that you’re trying to fit into things? Lost me.

philosophy.

does philosophy involve the feelings, mind, brotherly love, morality, spiritual insight, logic?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Well obviously philosophy involves the mind.  Feelings are part of mind.  Morality is a higher adjutant mind ministry. Brotherly love is part of morality.

But spiritual insight?  That’s a gift from God.  Philosophy is earned.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Oops, forgot logic.  Logic is the technique of philosophy, which is a function of the spirit of wisdom.

Gene
    Participant

Similar to my thinking

excuse me if I ramble on a bit more:

Incircuitment in the Holy Spirit, bestowal of the Spirit of Truth and our Adjusters – it makes sense that they help us sort out lines of philosophical questioning/reasoning that have real meaning and even value.

I’m no student of philosophy  but given the chance and a brain to analyze it would be interesting to compare the philosophic construct religion of Stoicism (and others)  which I believe came about in first or second century AD with much earlier philosophical attempts at religion – early Greeks possibly around 400 to 500 BC.

i did read Plato’s Appology and Socrates appeared to me to be loyal to the anthromorphic gods in a way that he derived real wisdom from them, but had the intelligent reasoning to reject the state approved gods of the Athenians. There was no adjuster or Spirit of truth to help him out but he certainly came across like that was the case imho. He defended himself against sophists and had no problem identifying sophistry.

wisdom was a prised possession in those days.

i did leave out the Adjutants deliberately.

Can’t help but be curious about this sort of thing as coincidently I was reading Plato when this topic came up.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

There was no adjuster or Spirit of truth to help him out

How do you figure he had no Adjuster?  He very likely did, and he definitely had the Holy Spirit which provides contact with the cosmic mind reality responses.  Fallacies are easy to recognize even without the Spirit of Truth.   They don’t interact with the cosmic mind reality reflexes.  They don’t respond to mind gravity.

Gene
    Participant

I guess I relate the arrival of the Adjusters with Pentecost. I’m mistaken?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Gene wrote: I guess I relate the arrival of the Adjusters with Pentecost. I’m mistaken?

Yes.  The apostles had Adjusters.  Heck, even Andon and Fonta had Adjusters, as did many of their progeny. Onagar, mentioned in the quote below, lived in the pre-Planetary Prince age.

(717.1) 63:6.9 Although both Andon and Fonta had received Thought Adjusters, as had many of their descendants, it was not until the days of Onagar that the Adjusters and guardian seraphim came in great numbers to Urantia. This was, indeed, the golden age of primitive man.

Gene
    Participant

Gene wrote: I guess I relate the arrival of the Adjusters with Pentecost. I’m mistaken?

Yes. The apostles had Adjusters. Heck, even Andon and Fonta had Adjusters, as did many of their progeny. Onagar, mentioned in the quote below, lived in the pre-Planetary Prince age.

(717.1) 63:6.9 Although both Andon and Fonta had received Thought Adjusters, as had many of their descendants, it was not until the days of Onagar that the Adjusters and guardian seraphim came in great numbers to Urantia. This was, indeed, the golden age of primitive man.

hah – brain freeze, should have known that one.

so much for that line of reasoning.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

so much for that line of reasoning.

Yup.  Don’t go building any kind of thought scaffolding with material that can’t hold the weight.  Best to just toss it out – as long as the whole structure doesn’t tumble down in the process.  I certainly don’t want to be responsible for anything like that.

“1. The level of the flesh. Such a purely selfish and lustful interpretation would be well exemplified by the supposition of your question.

“2. The level of the feelings. This plane is one level higher than that of the flesh and implies that sympathy and pity would enhance one’s interpretation of this rule of living.

“3. The level of mind. Now come into action the reason of mind and the intelligence of experience. Good judgment dictates that such a rule of living should be interpreted in consonance with the highest idealism embodied in the nobility of profound self-respect.

“4. The level of brotherly love. Still higher is discovered the level of un- selfish devotion to the welfare of one’s fellows. On this higher plane of whole- hearted social service growing out of the consciousness of the fatherhood of God and the consequent recognition of the brotherhood of man, there is dis- covered a new and far more beautiful interpretation of this basic rule of life.

“5. The moral level. And then when you attain true philosophic levels of interpretation, when you have real insight into the rightness and wrongness of things, when you perceive the eternal fitness of human relationships, you will begin to view such a problem of interpretation as you would imagine a high- minded, idealistic, wise, and impartial third person would so view and interpret such an injunction as applied to your personal problems of adjustment to your life situations.

“6. The spiritual level. And then last, but greatest of all, we attain the level of spirit insight and spiritual interpretation which impels us to recognize in this rule of life the divine command to treat all men as we conceive God would treat them. That is the universe ideal of human relationships. And this is your attitude toward all such problems when your supreme desire is ever to do the Father’s will. I would, therefore, that you should do to all men that which you know I would do to them in like circumstances.

seems to me it can fit into all but #1???

Getting back to the levels of the golden rule, this is how I see it:

1. Level one – involves the lower adjutants and has nothing to do with wisdom.
    2. Level two – engages the spirit of worship in some cases because it brings in the moral element, but still no wisdom.
    3. Level three – engages the intelligence of experience, which means the spirit of wisdom is functioning.
    4. Level four – is all about the Holy Spirit.  On this level there is clear evidence of soul activity.
    5. Level five – involves super philosophic input from the Spirit of Truth and evidence of Adjuster guidance because there is recognition of what is really right and wrong, as opposed to mere human understanding of the difference between right and wrong.
    6. Level six – the culmination, a description of what happens after reality is discovered, recognized, interpreted and chosen – when a potential value (fatherly love) becomes an actual fruit of the spirit by doing God’s will.  This is evidence of emerging personality divinity attunement, which is a superconscious and cosmic mind consciousness experience resulting from the stereoscopic effect of mota sensitivity.  This a personality who is beginning to experience and appreciate a cosmic perspective of reality and the true meaning of sonship and cosmic citizenship.

Don’t forget that philosophy is merely the search for wisdom, but there are ascending levels of wisdom and a never-ending search.  Infinite wisdom is something only God has, so philosophical pursuits never really end.  Isn’t that why deep reflective thinking is so important?  Isn’t that why they say it’s our thoughts which lead us Godward?  Mind ministry is about thinking.  Thought Adjusters are about thinking.  The Holy Spirit is the means by which our true selves think.  The Spirit of Truth is the source of soul philosophy – more thinking.  The mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Gene
    Participant

103:0.6 3. Practical or current religion, varying degrees of the admixture of natural and supernatural religions.

103:0.7 4. Philosophic religions, man-made or philosophically thought-out theologic doctrines and reason-created religions.

What’s the difference between these two types of religion and what’s an example of each?

One more time.

So do you think that some early religions based on man made philosophical constructs lack personal revelation? A bit difficult for me to identify differences but I’ll try:

Possibly the difference between this sort of philosophic construct religion and admixture of natural and supernatural religions is related to those personality choices where the former would tend toward the Adjutants and the latter the Holy Spirit??

Sometimes I think that the human response to the 6th Adjutant can be dangerous. Didn’t paper 99 begin by informing us about how institutional religions have migrated into social/political arena and both are in danger of failure and need reconstruction? Didn’t they use the word “crisis” to get our attention?

I avoid blogs because so many people are experts at finding evil, what’s wrong with the world and very few look for the good. To me this is like being stuck with the 6th Adjutant.

make any sense?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 230 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.