The Kingdom of Heaven

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Kingdom of Heaven

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Mara, here is another quote; one that is very important, I think.

92:0.4  3. The Holy Spirit–this is the initial supermind bestowal, and it unfailingly appears in all bona fide human personalities. This ministry to a worship-craving and wisdom-desiring mind creates the capacity to self-realize the postulate of human survival, both in theologic concept and as an actual and factual personality experience.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Mara, here is another quote; one that is very important, I think.

92:0.4 3. The Holy Spirit–this is the initial supermind bestowal, and it unfailingly appears in all bona fide human personalities. This ministry to a worship-craving and wisdom-desiring mind creates the capacity to self-realize the postulate of human survival, both in theologic concept and as an actual and factual personality experience.

Yes, initially.

(1:0.5) Urantia mortals can hardly hope to be perfect in the infinite sense, but it is entirely possible for human beings, starting out as they do on this planet, to attain the supernal and divine goal which the infinite God has set for mortal man; and when they do achieve this destiny, they will, in all that pertains to self-realization and mind attainment, be just as replete in their sphere of divine perfection as God himself is in his sphere of infinity and eternity. Such perfection may not be universal in the material sense, unlimited in intellectual grasp, or final in spiritual experience, but it is final and complete in all finite aspects of divinity of will, perfection of personality motivation, and God-consciousness.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I think that the answer to my question lies not only with the meaning of the Holy Spirit, but also the meaning of baptize within the context Jesus was speaking.  For the Jews, baptism had a very specific meaning.  It was a purification ritual, meant to cleanse, to wash away unclean passions with holiness.

Initially it was thought that spirits lived within bubbling springs.  Immersion was a way to contact the spirit.  Bubbling springs led to running waters which were living, not stagnate.  John baptized in living waters.  Mikvehs used for purification rituals usually contained living, moving waters.  If we keep the symbolism consistent, one might naturally conclude that the Holy Spirit could be the living water within the soul.  At least that’s one way to look at it.

The Holy Spirit within the soul, being the supermind, a giant purifying mikveh, is the supporting arena in which we have our relationship with Deity.  In a sense we become immersed in spirit whenever we attempt to enter the “dim realms of embryonic soul-consciousness in a wholehearted effort to reach the borderland of spirit-consciousness—contact with the divine presence.” (196:3.3)

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Bradly, I posted this thinking of you, what you’ve said many times.

And also since Bonita has posted something regarding the wholehearted embryos, we all are.

(112:5.4) Human beings possess identity only in the material sense. Such qualities of the self are expressed by the material mind as it functions in the energy system of the intellect. When it is said that man has identity, it is recognized that he is in possession of a mind circuit which has been placed in subordination to the acts and choosing of the will of the human personality. But this is a material and purely temporary manifestation, just as the human embryo is a transient parasitic stage of human life. Human beings, from a cosmic perspective, are born, live, and die in a relative instant of time; they are not enduring. But mortal personality, through its own choosing, possesses the power of transferring its seat of identity from the passing material-intellect system to the higher morontia-soul system which, in association with the Thought Adjuster, is created as a new vehicle for personality manifestation.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  Soul is born as a child but this is not being born again.

Yes, but I prefer to envision the soul conceived as an embryo which initially grows in and of itself.  It’s tethered, like an umbilical cord, to both the material mind and to the Adjuster as long as we are in the flesh.  When we decide to actively nourish the soul, I think the new birth begins to manifest itself.  Things become new.  It’s the newness that I think is crucial to the concept of being born again.  It’s the discovery of the soul’s point of view, recognizing what it needs to thrive, interpreting how best to provide it and then committing oneself to doing the task.  It’s a different and whole new way of looking at life.  Evolution of dominance goes along with the evolution of the consciousness of newness, the discovery of this inner treasure and developing a relationship. And the best part of the baptism is the realization that you’re not having a relationship with an IT, an idea, but with another person who is not yourself, but a partner, someone you can actually become unified with. It’s alive, it’s growing and it’s kinda exciting!  I don’t think being baptized by the Holy Spirit is for lazy people or cowards . . . that’s for sure.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Here is one I like about the exhibition of the characteristics of the Spirit as they may manifest in the lives of spirit-led mortals.

34:6.13[Part II]
    The consciousness of the spirit domination of a human life is presently attended by an increasing exhibition of the characteristics of the Spirit in the life reactions of such a spirit-led mortal, “for the fruits of the spirit are love, joy, peace, long-suffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and temperance.” Such spirit-guided and divinely illuminated mortals, while they yet tread the lowly paths of toil and in human faithfulness perform the duties of their earthly assignments, have already begun to discern the lights of eternal life as they glimmer on the faraway shores of another world; already have they begun to comprehend the reality of that inspiring and comforting truth, “The kingdom of God is not meat and drink but righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.” And throughout every trial and in the presence of every hardship, spirit-born souls are sustained by that hope which transcends all fear because the love of God is shed abroad in all hearts by the presence of the divine Spirit.
    “. . . spirit-born souls are sustained by that hope which transcends all fear because the love of God is shed abroad in all hearts by the presence of the divine Spirit.”
    See also 34:5.7
    Anonymous
    Inactive

What is the kingdom of heaven?

99:3.2[Part III] The kingdom of heaven is neither a social nor economic order; it is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood of God-knowing individuals. True, such a brotherhood is in itself a new and amazing social phenomenon attended by astounding political and economic repercussions.

To the “literal-ist” reader of the UB, the previous UB quote, would  actually be a literal answer to a question of what is the Kingdom of Heaven?  Yet this post seems to have been overlooked by those, seemingly more spiritual in nature, rather than being a group of individuals in brotherhood with each other?

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

99:3.2[Part III] The kingdom of heaven is neither a social nor economic order; it is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood of God-knowing individuals. True, such a brotherhood is in itself a new and amazing social phenomenon attended by astounding political and economic repercussions.

To the “literal-ist” reader of the UB, the previous UB quote, would actually be a literal answer to a question of what is the Kingdom of Heaven? Yet this post seems to have been overlooked by those, seemingly more spiritual in nature, rather than being a group of individuals in brotherhood with each other?

Maybe it’s because, spiritually, speech has it’s limitations here on earth.

But “harmony is the speech of Havona” and that’s why we pray:

Your will be done on earth; as it is in heaven.”

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

(170:5.11) The kingdom, to the Jews, was the Israelite community; to the gentiles it became the Christian church. To Jesus the kingdom was the sum of those individuals who had confessed their faith in the fatherhood of God, thereby declaring their wholehearted dedication to the doing of the will of God, thus becoming members of the spiritual brotherhood of man.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

In regards to what it means to be born of the Holy Spirit, I made a list of what I could find in TUB describing “who is born of the Spirit,” those who are in the kingdom of heaven:

1. Those who have espoused the leading and teaching of the indwelling Adjuster.  34:6.4
    2. Those who have received and recognized the indwelling of God 34:6.7
    3. Those who work on intellectual levels and live on spiritual planes far above the conflicts produced by unrestrained or unnatural physical desires. 34:7.7
    4. Those who recognize supreme values with an enhancement of spiritual experience. 103:2.1
    5. Those who become so readjusted to life within themselves that they become likewise readjusted to the universe. 130:6.4
    6. Those whose faith has the power to overcome all doubt, and overcome all uncertainty. 142:5.3
    7. Those who believe the gospel of the kingdom and sincerely love one another.  142:5.4
    8. Those who make a wholehearted choice for spirit guidance and whose only purpose in living is to do God’s will. 142:6.7
    9. Those who are masters of the self and all that pertains to the desires of the flesh.  143:2.6
    10. Those who spontaneously show forth the fruits of the spirit in their daily lives which are the essence of the highest type of enjoyable and ennobling self-control, even the heights of terrestrial mortal attainment — true self-mastery. 143:2.8
    11. Those who know they are sons of God. 144:8.4
    12. Those who hear the truth with wisdom and spiritual understanding. 147:4.2
    13. Those who discern the word of God regardless of whence it appears to take origin. 155:6.12
    14. Those assured of living fellowship with the eternal God. 178:1.11
    15. Those with spontaneous, generous, and sincere friendliness. 180:5.12
    16. Those, who by living faith,  become divinely God-conscious,  and  strive to attain the experience of finding God the Father on Paradise. 193:0.3
    17. Those who, with the eye of faith, detect and discern Paradise values of eternity and infinity, of truth, beauty, and goodness which are concealed within the facts of the phenomena of the universes of time and space. 195:7.4
    18. Those who are conscious of values.  195:7.8

#5 addresses the newness I was referring to, a readjustment to reality.  Isn’t that what the Adjuster does with us once we’re in the kingdom? I think all things would become new if thoughts and attitudes were constantly being readjusted, reborn, reoriented toward spirit cooperation and coordination.  #17 refers to what I previously referred to as the ability to “see,” making the choice to see the world through “eyes of faith”.

I imagine there are more descriptions of what it means to be “born of the Spirit” in TUB, if you find them, share them.  We’ll grow the list. Thanks.

Gene
    Participant

I think this relates to Bonitas list and was partly stated a bit differently in her # 11

Paper 142:7.3and4 Jesus explains the kingdom idea as an evolutionary concept and will be understood different in the future by the family idea – when man understands the fatherhood of god and brotherhood of man – sonship with God.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . to be “born of the Spirit”. . . .

In this reference the first sentence kinda jumped out at me.  “Religion is functional in the human mind and has been realized in experience prior to its appearance in human consciousness.”

Perhaps *functional* refers to the unknown (in human consciousness) work of the adjutant mind spirits in preparing the mind for the reception of a Thought Adjuster, as well as the little known work of the Spirit of Truth and the Holy Spirit.  The work of the Spirit is seamless and these influences are all as one. (8:5.4)

103:2.1   Religion is functional in the human mind and has been realized in experience prior to its appearance in human consciousness. A child has been in existence about nine months before it experiences birth. But the “birth” of religion is not sudden; it is rather a gradual emergence. Nevertheless, sooner or later there is a “birth day.” You do not enter the kingdom of heaven unless you have been “born again” — born of the Spirit. Many spiritual births are accompanied by much anguish of spirit and marked psychological perturbations, as many physical births are characterized by a “stormy labor” and other abnormalities of “delivery.” Other spiritual births are a natural and normal growth of the recognition of supreme values with an enhancement of spiritual experience, albeit no religious development occurs without conscious effort and positive and individual determinations. Religion is never a passive experience, a negative attitude. What is termed the “birth of religion” is not directly associated with so-called conversion experiences which usually characterize religious episodes occurring later in life as a result of mental conflict, emotional repression, and temperamental upheavals.

“. . . no religious development occurs without conscious effort and positive and individual determinations.”

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Regarding the kingdom of heaven, section 5 of Paper 170 sheds some light on what influenced later ideas of the Kingdom and a *prophetic forecast* of the kingdom.

Having summarized the teachings of Jesus about the kingdom of heaven, we are permitted to narrate certain later ideas which became attached to the concept of the kingdom and to engage in a prophetic forecast of the kingdom as it may evolve in the age to come.
    The revelators tell us the result was tragic.
    170:5.10 . . . the tragedy consisted in the fact that this social reaction to the teachings of the kingdom so fully displaced the spiritual concept of the real kingdom as Jesus taught and lived it.
    170:5.14  When Jesus’ immediate followers recognized their partial failure to realize his ideal of the establishment of the kingdom in the hearts of men by the spirit’s domination and guidance of the individual believer, they set about to save his teaching from being wholly lost by substituting for the Master’s ideal of the kingdom the gradual creation of a visible social organization, the Christian church. And when they had accomplished this program of substitution, in order to maintain consistency and to provide for the recognition of the Master’s teaching regarding the fact of the kingdom, they proceeded to set the kingdom off into the future. The church, just as soon as it was well established, began to teach that the kingdom was in reality to appear at the culmination of the Christian age, at the second coming of Christ.
    170:5.21   The kingdom of the divine brotherhood is still alive and will eventually and certainly come forth from this long submergence, just as surely as the butterfly eventually emerges as the beautiful unfolding of its less attractive creature of metamorphic development.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:  The revelators tell us the result was tragic.

Yeah . . . churchification is generally a tragic human failure, in my opinion.  But TUB says there’s hope, that the kingdom is still alive and well, just submerged in a metamorphic state.   It would be wonderful to see it emerge in my lifetime . . . I live in hope. I think the best way to free it from the cocoon it languishes in is for more and more people to change their minds by faith . . . faith in God himself, a person, rather than an institution, a creed, a book, a dogma, etc..

138:8.8 Jesus made plain to his apostles the difference between the repentance of so-called good works as taught by the Jews and the change of mind by faith – the new birth – which he required as the price of admission to the kingdom.

Gene
    Participant

Isn’t the repentance of good works part of the temporal kingdom that is still after centuries putting the spiritual kingdom just out of reach?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 255 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.