The Kingdom of Heaven

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions The Kingdom of Heaven

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 255 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote: TUB makes it easy enough to comprehend a spiritual kingdom without the person of Jesus to give instruction.

I disagree.  Comprehension of TUB is entirely facilitated by the person of Jesus giving constant instruction inside your head.

0:12.13 We are fully cognizant of the difficulties of our assignment; we recognize the impossibility of fully translating the language of the concepts of divinity and eternity into the symbols of the language of the finite concepts of the mortal mind. But we know that there dwells within the human mind a fragment of God, and that there sojourns with the human soul the Spirit of Truth; and we further know that these spirit forces conspire to enable material man to grasp the reality of spiritual values and to comprehend the philosophy of universe meanings. But even more certainly we know that these spirits of the Divine Presence are able to assist man in the spiritual appropriation of all truth contributory to the enhancement of the ever-progressing reality of personal religious experience — God-consciousness.

Gene
    Participant
    Gene wrote: TUB makes it easy enough to comprehend a spiritual kingdom without the person of Jesus to give instruction.

I disagree. Comprehension of TUB is entirely facilitated by the person of Jesus giving constant instruction inside your head.

0:12.13 We are fully cognizant of the difficulties of our assignment; we recognize the impossibility of fully translating the language of the concepts of divinity and eternity into the symbols of the language of the finite concepts of the mortal mind. But we know that there dwells within the human mind a fragment of God, and that there sojourns with the human soul the Spirit of Truth; and we further know that these spirit forces conspire to enable material man to grasp the reality of spiritual values and to comprehend the philosophy of universe meanings. But even more certainly we know that these spirits of the Divine Presence are able to assist man in the spiritual appropriation of all truth contributory to the enhancement of the ever-progressing reality of personal religious experience — God-consciousness.

the Jesus inside my head giving constant instructions: there is a divine plan, a big picture as to how the kingdom will manifest over a very long period of time that is difficult to come to grips with

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote:  There are reasons why it was hard for them to comprehend a *spiritual kingdom*.  One factor relates to the history of the Roman Empire in the fact that provincial Palestine, the home of the Jews, was occupied by Roman soldiers under the rule of a second-rate Roman governor – Pilate.  We are informed that “. . . the Jews refused to learn that their world mission was spiritual, not political.”  The Jews believed they were chosen people.  They were looking for a king to save them.  Even in modern times people are looking for Jesus to swoop down and cure all our political, social, economic and material/worldly problems.

This reminds me that Abner and the seventy had the best understanding of Jesus’ gospel of the kingdom of heaven than “any other group on earth”.  It’s too bad he couldn’t get along with James and Paul.  As it turns out, churchification can be a stumbling block to the kingdom of heaven.

166:5.6-7  During the later years of Abner and for some time thereafter, the believers at Philadelphia held more strictly to the religion of Jesus, as he lived and taught, than any other group on earth. Abner lived to be 89 years old, dying at Philadelphia on the 21st day of November, A.D. 74. And to the very end he was a faithful believer in, and teacher of, the gospel of the heavenly kingdom.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

the Jesus inside my head giving constant instructions: there is a divine plan, a big picture as to how the kingdom will manifest over a very long period of time that is difficult to come to grips with

What’s difficult to come to grips with?  The big picture or Jesus in your head?

Gene
    Participant

both

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

134:4.2 The kingdom of heaven, the divine government, is founded on the fact of divine sovereignty – God is spirit. Since God is spirit, this kingdom is spiritual. The kingdom of heaven is neither material nor merely intellectual; it is a spiritual relationship between God and man.

I don’t know, but it seems to me that sooner or later mankind is going to have to come to grips with the idea that God lives in the mind arena, that spirit is discovered in the mind, not floating in space.  Until they do, we’re just wafting as a civilization . . . no anchor, no stability  . . . just chasing the next shiny object that happens to pass by . . . the ADHD of modern society.

Gene
    Participant

134:4.2 The kingdom of heaven, the divine government, is founded on the fact of divine sovereignty – God is spirit. Since God is spirit, this kingdom is spiritual. The kingdom of heaven is neither material nor merely intellectual; it is a spiritual relationship between God and man.

I don’t know, but it seems to me that sooner or later mankind is going to have to come to grips with the idea that God lives in the mind arena, that spirit is discovered in the mind, not floating in space. Until they do, we’re just wafting as a civilization . . . no anchor, no stability . . . just chasing the next shiny object that happens to pass by . . . the ADHD of modern society.

well said

and I keep telling myself to try to stay focused on that inner voice, do something positive and unselfish, have faith that doing will have a greater impact than preaching.

Cant recall the paper but Jesus was rebuking apostles about Jewish scriptures where it was obvious that these Jews could not see how the concept of God had evolved over time. They likely read the scriptures but could not see the truth until Jesus pointed out the big picture.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote: Cant recall the paper but Jesus was rebuking apostles about Jewish scriptures where it was obvious that these Jews could not see how the concept of God had evolved over time.
    I think it was one of his discussions with Nathaniel:

159:4.5 “Nathaniel, never permit yourself for one moment to believe the Scripture records which tell you that the God of love directed your forefathers to go forth in battle to slay all their enemies — men, women, and children. Such records are the words of men, not very holy men, and they are not the word of God. The Scriptures always have, and always will, reflect the intellectual, moral, and spiritual status of those who create them. Have you not noted that the concepts of Yahweh grow in beauty and glory as the prophets make their records from Samuel to Isaiah? And you should remember that the Scriptures are intended for religious instruction and spiritual guidance. They are not the works of either historians or philosophers.

Gene
    Participant
    Gene wrote: Cant recall the paper but Jesus was rebuking apostles about Jewish scriptures where it was obvious that these Jews could not see how the concept of God had evolved over time.
    I think it was one of his discussions with Nathaniel:

159:4.5 “Nathaniel, never permit yourself for one moment to believe the Scripture records which tell you that the God of love directed your forefathers to go forth in battle to slay all their enemies — men, women, and children. Such records are the words of men, not very holy men, and they are not the word of God. The Scriptures always have, and always will, reflect the intellectual, moral, and spiritual status of those who create them. Have you not noted that the concepts of Yahweh grow in beauty and glory as the prophets make their records from Samuel to Isaiah? And you should remember that the Scriptures are intended for religious instruction and spiritual guidance. They are not the works of either historians or philosophers.

Yes

Gene
    Participant

I found another: paper 142:3

the concept of God

a bit too large to copy paste

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

What is the kingdom of heaven?

99:3.2[Part III]
    The kingdom of heaven is neither a social nor economic order; it is an exclusively spiritual brotherhood of God-knowing individuals. True, such a brotherhood is in itself a new and amazing social phenomenon attended by astounding political and economic repercussions.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

137:8.10 “John did indeed baptize you in token of repentance and for the remission of your sins, but when you enter the heavenly kingdom, you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Besides being “born again”, entrance into the kingdom of heaven involves being baptized by the Holy Spirit.  What do you suppose that means?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I am thinking perhaps it is the rebirth or the born again moment when we consciously respond to the Spirit.  It’s our first moment of dedication to transfer the seat of identity from the material nature to the spirit nature?  Pure speculation on my part.  Soul is born as a child but this is not being born again.

Maybe being born again into the Spirit by personal conscious choice increases the power of the Spirit connection by this voluntary act of personal choice?

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

How about this:

(196:0.8) The faith of Jesus visualized all spirit values as being found in the kingdom of God; therefore he said, “Seek first the kingdom of heaven.” Jesus saw in the advanced and ideal fellowship of the kingdom the achievement and fulfillment of the “will of God.” The very heart of the prayer which he taught his disciples was, “Your kingdom come; your will be done.”

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

“. . . you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.”

What is the Holy Spirit?

8:5.3   The Holy Spirit is the spiritual circuit of this Creative Daughter of the Paradise Infinite Spirit. The Holy Spirit is a circuit indigenous to each local universe and is confined to the spiritual realm of that creation; but the Infinite Spirit is omnipresent.

28:5.22[Part I]
    So it is with mortal man: The Mother Spirit of Salvington knows you fully, for the Holy Spirit on your world “searches all things,” and whatsoever the divine Spirit knows of you is immediately available whenever the secoraphic discerners reflect with the Spirit concerning the Spirit’s knowledge of you. It should, however, be mentioned that the knowledge and plans of the Father fragments are not reflectible. The discerners can and do reflect the presence of the Adjusters (and the Censors pronounce them divine), but they cannot decipher the content of the mindedness of the Mystery Monitors.
    34:5.4[Part II]
    When mind is thus endowed with the ministry of the Holy Spirit, it possesses the capacity for (consciously or unconsciously) choosing the spiritual presence of the Universal Father — the Thought Adjuster. But it is not until a bestowal Son has liberated the Spirit of Truth for planetary ministry to all mortals that all normal minds are automatically prepared for the reception of the Thought Adjusters. The Spirit of Truth works as one with the presence of the spirit of the Divine Minister. This dual spirit liaison hovers over the worlds, seeking to teach truth and to spiritually enlighten the minds of men, to inspire the souls of the creatures of the ascending races, and to lead the peoples dwelling on the evolutionary planets ever towards their Paradise goal of divine destiny.
    34:5.5   The Holy Spirit is partly independent of human attitude and partially conditioned by the decisions and co-operation of the will of man. Nevertheless, the ministry of the Holy Spirit becomes increasingly effective in the sanctification and spiritualization of the inner life of those mortals who the more fully obey the divine leadings.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 255 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.