Purpose to everything

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Purpose to everything

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

Well 22258 is very educational information that helps me organize my thinking about all this

thank you

i am still taken to paper 112:6

just to state a couple:

in 6.2 and 6.3 they mention our morontia form and its appearance being responsive to our personality and they mention that to some degree our material bodies are as well – interesting connection there.

6.4 they state out mortal intellect has perished but the meanings and values of the mortal mind have not perished. I believe the point was made that this is because of the adjuster involvement.

6.5 talks about our creature volition that can’t exist without mind but exists without material intellect.  And that the ascending personality is guided by character patterns from our human life.  Covered in 22258 I believe

in 6.7 mortal mind is self consciously independent of adjuster presence. Morontia soul does not retain self consciousness without adjuster when deprived of material mind mechanism.

6.9 qualitative and quantative  actions/motivations of material intellect reflected in surviving soul. In the choosing of truth beauty and goodness mortal mind enters pre morontia career.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Gene wrote: The adjutants minister to mortal intellect and that should mean that our brains can precieve truth beauty and goodness?
    Truth, beauty and goodness are soul level perceptions.
    180:5.3 Intelligence grows out of a material existence which is illuminated by the presence of the cosmic mind. Wisdom comprises the consciousness of knowledge elevated to new levels of meaning and activated by the presence of the universe endowment of the adjutant of wisdom. Truth is a spiritual reality value experienced only by spirit-endowed beings who function upon supermaterial levels of universe consciousness, and who, after the realization of truth, permit its spirit of activation to live and reign within their souls.
    The brain itself cannot perceive truth, beauty and goodness. The brain can perceive physical senses and process that information electrochemically. Mind is a ministry that has nothing directly to do with the electrochemical reactions of the physical sensory perception neural network. That electrochemical network is merely the physical fuel which keeps the engine of thought going, but it does not drive the engine. The adjutants drive the engine. Adjutant mind ministry provides the directional mechanism, it urges electrochemical data collected by the brain toward progressively useful growth. It is not a conscious phenomenon. Consciousness, particularly of the self, requires the gift of personality.
    The growing brain is evidence of a connection to adjutant mind ministry, a connection which urges that growth. Once the electromechanical brain grows to the point where it can be influenced by the adjutants of worship and wisdom, the phenomenon of discretional self-consciousness appears. Self-consciousness comes with other-than-self-consciousness, the two are an inseparable. (Think of the Trinity) Making a universe sanctioned choice between self and other-than-self is evidence that the seven adjutants are all functioning and in alignment, which then brings the Holy Spirit and spirit birth of the soul. Along with her, we are lucky to also get the Spirit of Truth and the Adjuster. Truth beauty and goodness can only be perceived by individuals indwelt by these spirit influences. Truth, beauty and goodness are supermaterial perceptions only perceived on supermaterial levels. The soul is supermaterial. The brain is material.
    Gene wrote: our brains do give self-consciousness to the soul which does retain the characteristics of the decisions of the adjutant mind?

Self-consciousness is a feature of personality utilizing mind ministry. Again, the brain only provides the fuel to run the engine. Full consciousness requires a brain firing on all cylinders, but consciousness is not part of the brain, it is the personality unifying its parts. The brain cannot give consciousness to the soul. The soul runs on an entirely different kind of fuel that the brain cannot provide. The energy that keeps the soul engine running is morontial (supermaterial). The soul has its own consciousness which is determined by its own growth. Once the personality identifies with soul level consciousness, it becomes the preferred source for decision making. Decision making from the soul level of consciousness has soul power.

Gene wrote: Paper 112:6.8 says after awakening on morontia world that memory of original selfhood is essential to complete self consciousness of personality expansion and continuity.
    Yes. The Adjuster is required to retrieve spiritually significant memories which help complete the full return of self-consciousness. But self-consciousness itself is a feature of personality. The return of the personality brings self-consciousness, and along with Adjuster sponsored retained memories, the package is complete. Remember that the Adjuster threads spirit patterns of character on a cosmic loom. But that cosmic loom is part of the soul, not the material mind. The soul is a different mind system. The soul is superadjutant, meaning morontial. The material mind carries the morontia fabric of the soul, but it is not part of the soul, it merely provides temporary support for it until after death when a new system is provided.
    111:2.2 The material mind of mortal man is the cosmic loom that carries the morontia fabrics on which the indwelling Thought Adjuster threads the spirit patterns of a universe character of enduring values and divine meanings — a surviving soul of ultimate destiny and unending career, a potential finaliter.
    Gene wrote: our character patterns based on adjutant inspired decisions remain part of the soul??

Character patterns that become part of the soul are Adjuster inspired, not adjutant inspired. Not that the adjutants don’t play a part, they do, particularly adjutants six and seven, the gateway to the soul. The material mind discovers an idea, shoots it up the escalator to the soul where it can get spiritualized and recognized as an ideal, then interpreted in a way that can be worked out in real life by the Spirit of Truth, then down the escalator to the material mind which does what it can to carry it out. Then, the conversion of a spiritual potential into an experiential actual, creates a more virtuous character, which is copied and saved by the Adjuster in the soul. Every time you do this, the soul grows until you start to become conscious of this new righteous character that you have been quietly growing. Deciding to go all the way with this new character once you recognize it, working to make it better and better, is part of transferring dominance.

Gene wrote: But none of this could happen without the physical body.

How else are you going to make potentials actual? You need a form to work with. We are physical beings, therefore a physical form is necessary. Midwayers are morontial, they have morontial forms they use to make potentials actual. Even as spirit beings we get spirit forms to carry out our service to the universe. How else would you recommend synthesizing the existential and experiential? I can only think of fantasy sci-fi ways of doing that that are not connected to reality. I suppose it’s possible. Don’t know.

I understand what “Gene” has presented regarding the posting listed above, in that all comes from the UB’s text, and the descriptive characters come from the UB presentation, but how does all this relate to our reality as it applies to life today?

I do like the statement, above underlined, where it might be easier to relate these things in the UB to what is considered as sci-fi fantasy, as how it might compare to UB reality?  For instance, can we relate our reality to the Matrix movie trilogy, or the Avatar movie, to name just a few?

The Matrix movies seem to parallel much that is presented in the UB, although there are certain aspects which are pure entertainment but the underlying structure is similar?  In the survival aspect of the UB, can it be compared to choosing the Red or Blue pill?  And then there is the comparison to “mind” as it functions between world?  Not to mention the introduction of “the source”, “architect” etc.?

Are there any factors which can be compared as used as a visual aid?
    Gene
    Participant

How about a very unique experience?

the forum deciding what questions to ask the revealators/or sleeping subject. Was it their personalities / cosmic mind reaching out for truths yet unknown? Or could it have been the scientific nature , the mortal mind looking for facts or similar clarifications?

Or this: If we build a spacecraft is it our mortal minds at work – there would be some engineers wanting to validate the mechanistic Big Bang nature of the universe but still  others that sincerely desire truth, wanting to understand real origin with no bias that could reveal a personal touch to origins.

mortal and cosmic minds that could function together but tend not to for ego reasons

Gene
    Participant

Can’t relate to si fi much

i got through about the first 15 min of the matrix, I didn’t get it. Sat through avatar because of grandkids, the visuals were stunning but story line could not hold my interest-can’t recall what it was about.

How about time bandits? I loved that one. It seemed to have a spoof on our beliefs at least.

Anonymous
    Inactive

the forum deciding what questions to ask the revealators/or sleeping subject. Was it their personalities / cosmic mind reaching out for truths yet unknown? Or could it have been the scientific nature , the mortal mind looking for facts or similar clarifications?

Gene, when you mention above “sleeping subjects” I have always imagined them to parallel the story line as was presented in the TV Series “Crusade – After Babylon5” in that the overall plot has them roaming the universe for a cure of an affliction that has infiltrated many worlds, and for some world’s there population was put into a cryostasis sleep until a cure for the infliction could be found.  Although this same scenario, when associated with Matrix movies, would seem to prompt one’s imagination, to apply those fictional presentations to some of the content of the UB.  The most interpretive plot which I have found that parallels many of the narration of the UB is found in Gene Rodenberry’s presentation of “Earth Final Conflict” where it starts off, in the first few episodes, with aliens coming to Earth, who have been presented as the Violet Race in the UB, or as might also be associated to Caligastia’s coming to Urantia with his staff.  Where in the aforementioned Series, which is being represented again in Europe, do to much interest there, as Gene’s interpretation of some parts of the UB, which would indicate that he may have used it for much of his writings and even the Star Trek Series which seems to parallel his Andromeda TV Series?  So, how is it that the imagination can play such an important part as represented to Cosmic Mind.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Can’t relate to si fi much

i got through about the first 15 min of the matrix, I didn’t get it. Sat through avatar because of grandkids, the visuals were stunning but story line could not hold my interest-can’t recall what it was about.

How about time bandits? I loved that one. It seemed to have a spoof on our beliefs at least.

Yes, Matrix requires a few views all the way through, all three movies where its most common scenario is that the body cannot exist without the mind, but Avatar, seems to have some parallels to what you may be inferring to the mind and personalities taking over a creature body, and at the end fusing those with the body. But even the story line of them flying the dragon-like, bird-like creatures which seems to come from the Adam and Eve story-line having been flown.  Although 35,000 years ago, are there no skeletal remains to validate that from the UB.

I recall having seen the movie “Time Bandits“, but I’d need to re-visit that one and watch it again.

Gene
    Participant

So is that how my posts are being interpreted, in the realm of si fi?

i really need to rethink what I write more carefully – this was not my intent.

i cannot relate si fi to the UB.

Anonymous
    Inactive

So is that how my posts are being interpreted, in the realm of si fi?

i really need to rethink what I write more carefully – this was not my intent.

i cannot relate si fi to the UB.

No, on the contrary, in that many opinions are predicated on experience and alternate relation to many things that one may have heard, seen, etc.  The imagination can be a powerful tool and can also, produce issues which can alter one’s perspective.  For the most part, the imagination can be effective as long as one keeps it in perspective, therefore it can be used to visualize and compare things which one has experienced with other aspects of what one thinks can be reality.  Science fiction has been used to look into the future and the past, where one might imagine possibilities and potentials of fact and fiction with reality.  It only becomes a problem when one believes that fiction is reality and becomes part of their lives and not questionable to known facts, even if those known facts may be altered in the future.

I was watching a program the other day about the Star Trek franchise, and it was mentioned that the designer of the modern day cell phone actually designed it around the Star Trek communicator, thereby creating the flip phone.  Sometimes the imagination can reflect other things in reveling what might be involved in Cosmic Mind as related to subjects in the UB.  Therefore, how does the imagination, as presented in the UB relate to use, in past, present and future projected information?

André
    André
    Participant

G’day everyone,
    Gene you shouldn’t be bothered about the consequences after you express yourself.
    Leave it to God and look what happened.
    Bonita and MidiChlorian reacts and answered your thread. In their cosmic insights 16:6.9 they intuitively respond at this innate, infallible endowments of the human mind. 16:6.11 Cosmic thinking.
    The consequences of your thread, Bonita answered one of my experiential questions.
    What is the source of my thoughts?
    In brotherhood,
    André

André
    André
    Participant

G’day everyone,
    Gene you shouldn’t be bothered about the consequences after you express yourself.
    Leave it to God and look what happened.
    Bonita and MidiChlorian reacts and answered your thread. In their cosmic insights 16:6.9they intuitively respond at this innate, infallible endowments of the human mind. 16:6.11 Cosmic thinking.
    The consequences of your thread, Bonita answered one of my experiential questions.
    What is the source of my thoughts?
    In brotherhood,
    André

André
    André
    Participant

…. third tentatives to post.

Susan Owen
    Susan Owen
    Keymaster

I do not often take the time to visit this wonderful discussion forum, but this topic caught my eye.  Bonita, thank you so much for the work and thought you put into your posts #22255 and especially #22258.  I have copied them and will study them, use them, save them and cherish them.  You have opened my mind and soul to new insights.  Thank you so much for your ongoing contribution and service to this forum and to the revelation.

And thank you to all of you who daily contribute your time, knowledge and wisdom to these discussions.  You are all ambassadors of the FER.  God bless you.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Thank you Susan.  That was just what I needed to hear.  I was beginning to feel like Alice in Wonderland.  It truly helps to know that the work I put into sharing what I’ve learned is useful to someone.  Maybe there is a “purpose to everything”?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I don’t know if this thread is dead or not, but there are other things to mention concerning the body. One area we have not discussed yet is how the idea that the body is a source of evil came to permeate early Christianity.

121:6.3 Though the Hellenized Jewish beliefs were very little influenced by the teachings of the Epicureans, they were very materially affected by the philosophy of Plato and the self-abnegation doctrines of the Stoics. The great inroad of Stoicism is exemplified by the Fourth Book of the Maccabees; the penetration of both Platonic philosophy and Stoic doctrines is exhibited in the Wisdom of Solomon. The Hellenized Jews brought to the Hebrew scriptures such an allegorical interpretation that they found no difficulty in conforming Hebrew theology with their revered Aristotelian philosophy. But this all led to disastrous confusion until these problems were taken in hand by Philo of Alexandria, who proceeded to harmonize and systemize Greek philosophy and Hebrew theology into a compact and fairly consistent system of religious belief and practice. And it was this later teaching of combined Greek philosophy and Hebrew theology that prevailed in Palestine when Jesus lived and taught, and which Paul utilized as the foundation on which to build his more advanced and enlightening cult of Christianity.

We know that Greek philosophy, particularly the philosophy of Plato, was used as a foundation for Paul’s version of Christianity.  Plato had a lowly opinion of the body considering it a source of contamination for the soul, which he believed to be of divine origin.  Plato taught pre-existence of a perfect soul, a belief that wasn’t considered heretical until 553 A.D..  This delay provided time for the erroneous notions of self-denial, asceticism, abstinence and self-punishment to take root as part of the religion.

89:4.1 As civilization advanced, these crude concepts of sacrifice were elevated to the level of the rituals of self-abnegation, asceticism, fasting, deprivation, and the later Christian doctrine of sanctification through sorrow, suffering, and the mortification of the flesh.

Gene
    Participant

Iv been thinking about this question since yesterday and I can’t make much of an academic response.

I do believe based on my attempt to read Plato’s Critias that primitive religions had handed down through the ages their interpretations of the events of Eden. It could very well be that his Atlantis was really Eden?

Also, Being borne perfect prior to Eve’s original sin is still deeply ingrained in Christianity.

We now know that evil is potential and even divine personalities no matter what form their bodies are like Lucifer are in danger of giving in to it. It’s not the body.

but the age old idea of being able to see the body as something different than or separate from the soul was a great thing no matter how misunderstood it may have been. The feeling that one must destroy evil and foster the good has certainly evolved.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.