Agondonters

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 425 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant

I am learning how to let go of past experiences that have haunted to the point of needing professional help. Perspective is so important and it is really true that life challenges and how we respond to them is what defines us, here and as we ascend. So on the one hand it’s a game of catch up and on the other it’s inviting challenges no matter how my dark half says no, don’t go there. Even dealing with the smallest most insignificant challenge much the same as the larger – it’s like another gravity circuit.

i absolutely agree with the (I call it a warning) idea of being alone.  Not healthy and I really hope this is not one of my challenges.

Keryn
    Participant

I think the phrase “isolated and alone” in the TUB quote on agondonters means alone as in apart from any physical or visible figure of diety.  Not alone as in, friendless, sad, antisocial isolation and lonesomeness.  I agree those things are not healthy.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote: So: Knowing what constitutes an Agondonter, a bit about their destiny and relative scarcity, how does it impact your interaction with life’s vicissitudes?

I don’t think being an Agondonter changes anything when it comes to vicissitudes, although I think we have a greater challenge not to whine about it.  But given any inclination toward whining, I look at a crucifix, that tortured body and serene face, then that’s the end of that.  I got nothin’ to gripe about compared to that nastiness, thank God.

If you’ve discovered the presence of God within your head, then you always have a friend.  I found my friend when I was 8 and locked on good and tight.  Haven’t been lonely since.  Some people think that’s nuts . . . maybe it is, who knows.  All I can say is that I’m quite happy despite it all.  Then again, crazy people do tend to be happy with themselves.  So . . .

188:5.10 When thinking men and women look upon Jesus as he offers up his life on the cross, they will hardly again permit themselves to complain at even the severest hardships of life, much less at petty harassments and their many purely fictitious grievances. His life was so glorious and his death so triumphant that we are all enticed to a willingness to share both. There is true drawing power in the whole bestowal of Michael, from the days of his youth to this overwhelming spectacle of his death on the cross.

188:5.12 If man cannot otherwise appreciate Jesus and understand the meaning of his bestowal on earth, he can at least comprehend the fellowship of his mortal sufferings. No man can ever fear that the Creator does not know the nature or extent of his temporal afflictions.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  I especially appreciate the point of the mind being the “go-between for our dual natures” – a kind of arbiter, sorter, integrator, and harmonizer of the very real material world experienced outside the mind and the spirit nature that resides within the mind itself (?).

Man, I love this post of yours.  I mean the whole thing.  There’s so much to talk about, I could go on and on (and you know I will).  But yeah, the cosmic mind is the go-between.  It functions best when the distance between the material level and the spiritual level is the greatest, which is right here out on the lowly planets of time and space.  We critters are the farthest away from the origin of mind, therefore the gravity tension is the greatest.  I interpret this to mean that those three reality responses result in pretty impressive pings for anyone paying attention.

9.6.7  The greater the spirit-energy divergence, the greater the observable function of mind; the lesser the diversity of energy and spirit, the lesser the observable function of mind. Apparently, the maximum function of the cosmic mind is in the time universes of space. Here mind seems to function in a mid-zone between energy and spirit, but this is not true of the higher levels of mind; on Paradise, energy and spirit are essentially one.

Your mention of the mind being the harmonizer between viewpoint of looking outward and the viewpoint of  looking inward reminds me of these quotes:

103:6.5 A logical and consistent philosophic concept of the universe cannot be built up on the postulations of either materialism or spiritism, for both of these systems of thinking, when universally applied, are compelled to view the cosmos in distortion, the former contacting with a universe turned inside out, latter realizing the nature of a universe turned outside in. Never, then, can either science or religion, in and of themselves, standing alone, hope to gain an adequate understanding of universal truths and relationships without the guidance of human philosophy and the illumination of divine revelation.

103:6.6 Always must man’s inner spirit depend for its expression and self-realization upon the mechanism and technique of the mind. Likewise must man’s outer experience of material reality be predicated on the mind consciousness of the experiencing personality. Therefore are the spiritual and the material, the inner and the outer, human experiences always correlated with the mind function and conditioned, as to their conscious realization, by the mind activity. Man experiences matter in his mind; he experiences spiritual reality in the soul but becomes conscious of this experience in his mind. The intellect is the harmonizer and the ever-present conditioner and qualifier of the sum total of mortal experience. Both energy-things and spirit values are colored by their interpretation through the mind media of consciousness.

Gene
    Participant

I think the phrase “isolated and alone” in the TUB quote on agondonters means alone as in apart from any physical or visible figure of diety. Not alone as in, friendless, sad, antisocial isolation and lonesomeness. I agree those things are not healthy.

thx 4 clarify

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

A shout out to Mara….thank you for your many contributions and the inclusion of text in support….especially wish to acknowledge your post on teamwork!!!!

Few things are more challenging and even fewer are so important.  Face it….people can be annoying and difficult, especially on teams, boards, volunteer groups, and in business and government.  It’s often so much easier to go it alone and do it my way…it’s quicker and so much less politeness is required…hahaha.

And yet…..this is not the reality pattern of the universe.  Cooperation, unity, harmony….the symphony of mutual/joint endeavor is the pattern of reality.  And if this lesson is learned first on the material spheres, given all the natural obstacles to its success, then teamwork is gloriously rewarding.  Indeed, I’ve never accomplished anything alone that matched the sublime satisfaction of accomplishment by team work.  Sometimes, we work alone but in support of and as representative of a team….we become ambassadors or agents of a greater and noble effort by those who depend upon our own sincere and loyal effort.  The sharing of burden is always rewarded by the sharing of achievement and the rewards are exponentially greater I think.  The UB even says the more dependent our life is on others the more chaotic it will be (or something like that).

Which makes me wonder if the best teams are not made of strong individuals who willingly and knowingly temper/manage their own independence by purposefully choosing to serve the greater number for the greater cause…even if that means compromise, cooperation, and perhaps even sacrifice of the “me” for the “we”?

Consider that teamwork begins at the family level in even the most primitive of peoples and extends into the tribal/community level where interdependence is required for survival itself (and we are taught the family remains the fundamental and foundational base of society throughout all the Mortal Epochs).  Teamwork is not a new or modern challenge.  The more members in a team and the more coordinated that team the more exponential leverage is gained to perform the most incredible feats we can conceive.  I recall that Van and Amadon coordinated such teamwork to voluntarily build the Garden….no slaves, no bribes, and no wages….imagine!!

I’ve long been a student of group-dynamics and how each addition or subtraction of any and every person in a group changes that group’s dynamic and capability.   It’s interesting how leadership arises in the midst of all groups…sometimes by the force of someone’s nature/character and sometimes simply by the discernment of what needs doing now and next and someone stepping up to do that which is needed.  True leadership comes, I think, from the motive to serve…not the motive to dominate or control (of course that’s what a control freak would say and I’ve been, not inaccurately, accused of such myself…hahaha).  But dominating control freaks (ego maniacs) cannot muster true teamwork as described in the UB.

I am inclined to agree with Gene’s opinion that Agondonters might be seeded amongst other finaliters for the salt/leaven effect.  Such speculation arises due to the fact that the multiple corps of finaliters will also include many different types of ascenders serving with those fused mortals of far greater number…..but just speculation.

= )

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Some text on this “conspiracy of forces” that mortal minds are endowed with and blessed by confirms that these ministers are not idly awaiting some self-discovered truth or reality but, rather, they are ceaseless in creating yearning, awareness, and an inner voice that gently leads the mortal mind to truly face, discern, realize, and actualize the spirit nature inherent in mortal mind.  No one, it seems to me, can escape the voice and the force of this conspiracy…but some of us do manage to suppress, squelch, deny, and ignore these ministers.  I find the definition of agondonter a little confusing in this regard as it appears to me that all souls from the worlds of isolation are so destined upon survival and fusion and yet not all are especially responsive (according to my limited and ridiculously narrow view) while those born on all worlds before the later Epochs without rebellion/isolation are not considered such….and yet many of those also believe and have faith in the spirit world and nature without evidence or example.  There must be something truly dark and dangerous on isolated worlds which makes those surviving souls even more resilient?  Just a ponder……

Anyway, my own lack of understanding is irrelevant to the topic.   This topic is getting long so I don’t recall if this has been posted:

34:6.8 (381.2) It is the presence of the divine Spirit, the water of life, that prevents the consuming thirst of mortal discontent and that indescribable hunger of the unspiritualized human mind. Spirit-motivated beings “never thirst, for this spiritual water shall be in them a well of satisfaction springing up into life everlasting.” Such divinely watered souls are all but independent of material environment as regards the joys of living and the satisfactions of earthly existence. They are spiritually illuminated and refreshed, morally strengthened and endowed.

34:6.9 (381.3) In every mortal there exists a dual nature: the inheritance of animal tendencies and the high urge of spirit endowment. During the short life you live on Urantia, these two diverse and opposing urges can seldom be fully reconciled; they can hardly be harmonized and unified; but throughout your lifetime the combined Spirit ever ministers to assist you in subjecting the flesh more and more to the leading of the Spirit. Even though you must live your material life through, even though you cannot escape the body and its necessities, nonetheless, in purpose and ideals you are empowered increasingly to subject the animal nature to the mastery of the Spirit. There truly exists within you a conspiracy of spiritual forces, a confederation of divine powers, whose exclusive purpose is to effect your final deliverance from material bondage and finite handicaps.

34:6.10 (381.4) The purpose of all this ministration is, “That you may be strengthened with power through His spirit in the inner man.” And all this represents but the preliminary steps to the final attainment of the perfection of faith and service, that experience wherein you shall be “filled with all the fullness of God,” “for all those who are led by the spirit of God are the sons of God.”

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I find the definition of agondonter a little confusing in this regard as it appears to me that all souls from the worlds of isolation are so destined upon survival and fusion and yet not all are especially responsive (according to my limited and ridiculously narrow view) while those born on all worlds before the later Epochs without rebellion/isolation are not considered such….and yet many of those also believe and have faith in the spirit world and nature without evidence or example.  There must be something truly dark and dangerous on isolated worlds which makes those surviving souls even more resilient?  Just a ponder……

Sorry Bradly, I’ve read the above three times and can’t make sense of it.  When you say: ” . . . all souls from the worlds of isolation are so destined upon survival and fusion,” are you saying that all souls survive from isolated planets?  We know that’s not true, so I’m lost.

As to this: ” . . . while those born on all worlds before the later Epochs without rebellion/isolation are not considered such . . . ” Not considered such what?  Are you talking about people born on normal worlds and what do the epochs have to do with it?  Not following.  Very confused.

And this: ” . . . and yet many of those also believe and have faith in the spirit world and nature without evidence or example.”  Believe what?  Don’t you mean their minds are receptive to the adjutants just like any other material mind?  Really getting disoriented now.

And finally: “There must be something truly dark and dangerous on isolated worlds which makes those surviving souls even more resilient?” Resilient to what?  I would think the things agondonters have is faith, trust and loyalty.  It’s not because of something dark and dangerous, it’s because there is nothing else to grab hold of except the glimmer of light within.  Okay, getting a little vertigo now . . .  can’t wrap my mind around much of this.  Sorry Bradley.  I usually follow you quite well, but not this time.

Perhaps a condensed version?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Sure!!

All surviving souls from rebellion isolated worlds who survive and fuse become agondonters.

Those from the early mortal epochs from worlds not isolated do not become agondonters, and yet they too must believe without seeing.

So what’s the difference in the two?

What is it about rebellion-isolation that produces agondonters while the primitives and early-epoch survivor/fusers are not so?

Why is my destiny agondonter but not Andon and Fonta?

I’d be a great writer if it wasn’t for words, punctuation, and grammar….hahaha!!!!!  = )

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Ooohhh . . . . never would have got that without help.  Okay, I think I’m on track now.  Don’t have a lot of time to delve into it, but I think rebellion interrupts the normal flow of mind ministry.  Once rebellious thinking infects the collective mind, doubt and confusion spread like a virulent disease.  The concepts of evil get mixed in with the concepts of good and end up  all twisted topsy-turvy.  Values get flipped upside down backwards; it’s all a big mixed up mess.  Then, without visible teachers to right these wrongs, mortals are forced to grope through all the confusion in order to find the light.  It’s like the smog of rebellion blocks out the sun making it much harder for mind ministry to do its job and much harder for an emerging mortal soul to respond to it.  Those who break through all the uncertainty with trust, and maintain their faith and loyalty despite being surrounded by doubt and ignorance, are quite special, I think.   I guess rebellion itself is the dark and dangerous stuff you spoke of. The rebellion was hell-bent on screwing with people’s minds and it had lasting effects on all mind activity on the planet until the Spirit of Truth arrived.  At least that’s how I see it at this particular time . . . subject to change without notice . . .

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Bradley, I think the answer to your question can be found in paper 67 section 7.  It talks about the general effects of the rebellion on intellect, and morality, as well as its effect on planetary administration and social domains.  We’re all backwards and it has become ingrained.  Fixing it is not so much about deep thinking as it is adjusted thinking.  I doubt people on normal worlds call their Mystery Monitor an Adjuster.  Their thoughts are probably more aligned to begin with and only need directional guidance or monitoring.  We need much more which makes it remarkable when a person allows his/her thoughts to be turned around and properly aligned with reality.  And even more so when it happens without causing mental disruption, which we unfortunately see from time to time.

You can see it play out here on this forum.  There are some people who come here with their thoughts all screwed up backwards, and God help you if you try to assist them in turning around their thinking.  You’re accused of being argumentative, intolerant, closed-minded,  bullying,  arrogant, egg-headed, and all manner of ad hominem. There’s enormous resistance to reality-aligned thinking on this planet, and it’s all due to Lucifer and his minions who got that ball rolling long ago.  I think Jesus is right when he says that people who have their heads on backwards really need to spend a lot of time with people who don’t in order to surreptitiously train the mind to set itself aright. You can’t make people do that, they have to do it themselves.  And to do it themselves, they have to want to do it. They have to see something they want to copy.

And that’s what is really remarkable about agondonters.  They want to think right.  Despite all the odds they recognize that their thoughts guide them Godward, and they choose to go that way. They choose to change direction away from all the distractions pulling the mind toward thought tainted by rebellion.  Those who follow their emotions and feelings get side-tracked as well . . . and it’s easy to do without visible leaders who are examples of true virtue.  Had the Prince’s team and Adam and Eve’s family stuck around, we would have plenty paragons of virtue to emulate, rather than worship, behavior to copy and attitudes to model the mind after.

I find that many folks crave people they can identify with and they want to be like them.  People are prone to making idols, and I think it’s because we’re missing the ones God intended for us to idolize.  At least our modern media is revealing the fact that our idols are so often horribly imperfect.  The problem with that comes when some people think it’s okay to be imperfect themselves, emulating the imperfections and mimicking their self-destructive behaviors.  The more people who do that, the more the culture accepts it as normal and the further down the drain we go . . . Gone are the real heroes of this world and people are having difficulty finding the only hero they really need . . . I’ll let you guess who that is.  I believe it will happen though . . . eventually.

92:7.12 These intermediate stages of idolatrous hesitation in the transfer of veneration from the human and the visible to the divine and invisible are inevitable, but they should be shortened by the consciousness of the facilitating ministry of the indwelling divine spirit. Nevertheless, man has been profoundly influenced, not only by his concepts of Deity, but also by the character of the heroes whom he has chosen to honor. It is most unfortunate that those who have come to venerate the divine and risen Christ should have overlooked the man – the valiant and courageous hero – Joshua ben Joseph.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thank  you so much Bonita….lots here to consider….very helpful and exactly addresses my questions.   = )

Anonymous
    Inactive

So what’s the difference in the two?

This may be a complicated subject where the “difference” is “time”.

(67.3) 5:4.5 All religions teach the worship of Deity and some doctrine of human salvation. The Buddhist religion promises salvation from suffering, unending peace; the Jewish religion promises salvation from difficulties, prosperity predicated on righteousness; the Greek religion promised salvation from disharmony, ugliness, by the realization of beauty; Christianity promises salvation from sin, sanctity; Mohammedanism provides deliverance from the rigorous moral standards of Judaism and Christianity. The religion of Jesus is salvation from self, deliverance from the evils of creature isolation in time and in eternity.

The “rebellion isolated worlds” are isolated in “time” which is why Lucifer was accused for attempting to “short-circuit time”.  Therefore the ability to connect with the “Spirits” may require adjustments which may not be able to be made on Urantia, and would require patience?  The distance from the center, where time is slower, increases the further out we are therefore, for us, speeds up, and possible appears that we are moving backwards in time in order to catch-up.

(221.1) 19:5.11 I do not believe the Inspired Trinity Spirits are playing hide and seek with me. They are probably trying just as hard to disclose themselves to me as I am to communicate with them; our difficulties and limitations must be mutual and inherent. I am satisfied that there are no arbitrary secrets in the universe; therefore will I never cease in my efforts to solve the mystery of the isolation of these Spirits belonging to my order of creation.

(221.2) 19:5.12 And from all this, you mortals, just now taking your first step on the eternal journey, can well see that you must advance a long way before you will progress by “sight” and “material” assurance. You will long use faith and be dependent on revelation if you hope to progress quickly and safely.

It has nothing to do with perfection, because perfection is relative to the individual not the collective, however, it is important for all or most to be on the same page in time and thoughts.

(578.1) 50:6.1 The isolation of Urantia renders it impossible to undertake the presentation of many details of the life and environment of your Satania neighbors. In these presentations we are limited by the planetary quarantine and by the system isolation. We must be guided by these restrictions in all our efforts to enlighten Urantia mortals, but in so far as is permissible, you have been instructed in the progress of an average evolutionary world, and you are able to compare such a world’s career with the present state of Urantia.

(578.2) 50:6.2 The development of civilization on Urantia has not differed so greatly from that of other worlds which have sustained the misfortune of spiritual isolation. But when compared with the loyal worlds of the universe, your planet seems most confused and greatly retarded in all phases of intellectual progress and spiritual attainment.

(578.3) 50:6.3 Because of your planetary misfortunes, Urantians are prevented from understanding very much about the culture of normal worlds. But you should not envisage the evolutionary worlds, even the most ideal, as spheres whereon life is a flowery bed of ease. The initial life of the mortal races is always attended by struggle. Effort and decision are an essential part of the acquirement of survival values.

(578.4) 50:6.4 Culture presupposes quality of mind; culture cannot be enhanced unless mind is elevated. Superior intellect will seek a noble culture and find some way to attain such a goal. Inferior minds will spurn the highest culture even when presented to them ready-made. Much depends, also, upon the successive missions of the divine Sons and upon the extent to which enlightenment is received by the ages of their respective dispensations.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Midi….right on target.  Very helpful.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

In my daily reading today I came across a favorite section of mine that really humanizes the challenges of transferring the seat of identity and supports much of our discussion here as well as Mara’s current topic on ….so many falter and fail…..

Apologies for its length but thought those who wish to might find a particular quote to address and share with us their own perspective of the struggle and the help received in that effort to have and to demonstrate faith.  So far here I am very appreciative of everyone’s help to discuss and consider Agondonters….and, of course, one will not become such if one does not survive mortality, so that topic is also related to this one I think….the worlds of potential agondonters are very rare….but how rare then are those souls which survive mortality and reach the shores of Mansonia?  You see what I mean………..

156:5.6 (1739.1) Long into the night the apostles and evangelists continued to ask questions, and from the many answers we would present the following thoughts, restated in modern phraseology:

156:5.7 (1739.2) Forceful ambition, intelligent judgment, and seasoned wisdom are the essentials of material success. Leadership is dependent on natural ability, discretion, will power, and determination. Spiritual destiny is dependent on faith, love, and devotion to truth — hunger and thirst for righteousness — the wholehearted desire to find God and to be like him.

This one really spoke to me on the issue of how faith is formed and grows without any or any great knowledge of reality and the kingdom of God….the discussion on children and primitives has been most helpful on this and the “falter” topic….note that “devotion to truth – hunger and thirst for righteousness” is given as a form of definition for the desire to find God and be like him – even in those minds and souls who have no name or definition or understanding for “God”.  Like the love response is related to the moral compulsions delivered by the adjutants, so is that inherent, internal yearning for understanding, knowledge of reality and the inner life or “truth” a demonstration of the normal human ‘condition’. 

156:5.8 (1739.3) Do not become discouraged by the discovery that you are human. Human nature may tend toward evil, but it is not inherently sinful. Be not downcast by your failure wholly to forget some of your regrettable experiences. The mistakes which you fail to forget in time will be forgotten in eternity. Lighten your burdens of soul by speedily acquiring a long-distance view of your destiny, a universe expansion of your career.

This one reminded me of Gene’s statements above: “I am learning how to let go of past experiences that have haunted to the point of needing professional help. Perspective is so important and it is really true that life challenges and how we respond to them is what defines us, here and as we ascend. So on the one hand it’s a game of catch up and on the other it’s inviting challenges no matter how my dark half says no, don’t go there.”  Notice how the eternity perspective or time unit view helps to overcome our disappointments, confusion, and defeats!  Also reminded me of Bonita’s wonderment about how much and which memories survive and we must face in our reversion therapy to come.

156:5.9 (1739.4) Make not the mistake of estimating the soul’s worth by the imperfections of the mind or by the appetites of the body. Judge not the soul nor evaluate its destiny by the standard of a single unfortunate human episode. Your spiritual destiny is conditioned only by your spiritual longings and purposes.

This one really struck a nerve about the faltering discussion and the group’s collective “estimating the soul’s worth” of ourselves and/or others.  Notice again the term “longings”…..the aspirations of one’s mind and the hope and the yearn that are normal inherent ingredients in mortal born minds with any iota/modicum of spirit-response.  I think we or some of us anyway are simply way to harsh in our measurements of others….and perhaps, ourselves as well.

156:5.10 (1739.5) Religion is the exclusively spiritual experience of the evolving immortal soul of the God-knowing man, but moral power and spiritual energy are mighty forces which may be utilized in dealing with difficult social situations and in solving intricate economic problems. These moral and spiritual endowments make all levels of human living richer and more meaningful.

Notice again, the “endowments” of mind are not hidden mysteries or treasures in a field….they are inherent in our very nature.  But the material life is filled with distractions and demands that do so often preemptively obstruct the internal quest for understanding and truth.

156:5.11 (1739.6) You are destined to live a narrow and mean life if you learn to love only those who love you. Human love may indeed be reciprocal, but divine love is outgoing in all its satisfaction-seeking. The less of love in any creature’s nature, the greater the love need, and the more does divine love seek to satisfy such need. Love is never self-seeking, and it cannot be self-bestowed. Divine love cannot be self-contained; it must be unselfishly bestowed.

I note how love ‘gravity’ has a force that comes in a measure that is proportionate to its need.  Love is compelling.  The need for love is universal.  All we need is love….to have faith and circle progress and fusion destiny.

156:5.12 (1739.7) Kingdom believers should possess an implicit faith, a whole-souled belief, in the certain triumph of righteousness. Kingdom builders must be undoubting of the truth of the gospel of eternal salvation. Believers must increasingly learn how to step aside from the rush of life — escape the harassments of material existence — while they refresh the soul, inspire the mind, and renew the spirit by worshipful communion.

The transfer of the seat of personal identity….from the one nature to the other.  And how such a transfer improves the material life and outcomes at the same time by delivering into our life, and our family’s life and our community’s life – the fruits of the Spirit.

Enough from me for now….

156:5.13 (1739.8) God-knowing individuals are not discouraged by misfortune or downcast by disappointment. Believers are immune to the depression consequent upon purely material upheavals; spirit livers are not perturbed by the episodes of the material world. Candidates for eternal life are practitioners of an invigorating and constructive technique for meeting all of the vicissitudes and harassments of mortal living. Every day a true believer lives, he finds it easier to do the right thing.

156:5.14 (1740.1) Spiritual living mightily increases true self-respect. But self-respect is not self-admiration. Self-respect is always co-ordinate with the love and service of one’s fellows. It is not possible to respect yourself more than you love your neighbor; the one is the measure of the capacity for the other.

156:5.15 (1740.2) As the days pass, every true believer becomes more skillful in alluring his fellows into the love of eternal truth. Are you more resourceful in revealing goodness to humanity today than you were yesterday? Are you a better righteousness recommender this year than you were last year? Are you becoming increasingly artistic in your technique of leading hungry souls into the spiritual kingdom?

156:5.16 (1740.3) Are your ideals sufficiently high to insure your eternal salvation while your ideas are so practical as to render you a useful citizen to function on earth in association with your mortal fellows? In the spirit, your citizenship is in heaven; in the flesh, you are still citizens of the earth kingdoms. Render to the Caesars the things which are material and to God those which are spiritual.

156:5.17 (1740.4) The measure of the spiritual capacity of the evolving soul is your faith in truth and your love for man, but the measure of your human strength of character is your ability to resist the holding of grudges and your capacity to withstand brooding in the face of deep sorrow. Defeat is the true mirror in which you may honestly view your real self.

156:5.18 (1740.5) As you grow older in years and more experienced in the affairs of the kingdom, are you becoming more tactful in dealing with troublesome mortals and more tolerant in living with stubborn associates? Tact is the fulcrum of social leverage, and tolerance is the earmark of a great soul. If you possess these rare and charming gifts, as the days pass you will become more alert and expert in your worthy efforts to avoid all unnecessary social misunderstandings. Such wise souls are able to avoid much of the trouble which is certain to be the portion of all who suffer from lack of emotional adjustment, those who refuse to grow up, and those who refuse to grow old gracefully.

156:5.19 (1740.6) Avoid dishonesty and unfairness in all your efforts to preach truth and proclaim the gospel. Seek no unearned recognition and crave no undeserved sympathy. Love, freely receive from both divine and human sources regardless of your deserts, and love freely in return. But in all other things related to honor and adulation seek only that which honestly belongs to you.
    156:5.20 (1740.7) The God-conscious mortal is certain of salvation; he is unafraid of life; he is honest and consistent. He knows how bravely to endure unavoidable suffering; he is uncomplaining when faced by inescapable hardship.

156:5.21 (1740.8) The true believer does not grow weary in well-doing just because he is thwarted. Difficulty whets the ardor of the truth lover, while obstacles only challenge the exertions of the undaunted kingdom builder.

156:5.22 (1740.9) And many other things Jesus taught them before they made ready to depart from Tyre.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 425 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.