what is personality

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions what is personality

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    emanny3003
    Blocked

A balanced personality is a stable personality and stability is always proportional to divinity (12:6.1).  Jesus is our example of a perfectly balanced, stable and divine personality (100:7.1).  The goal of all personalities is to achieve similar unification and stability.  Personality accomplishes this through fellowship with Deity and recognition of divinity (112:2.8; 115:3.15).  Divinity is comprehended as truth, beauty and goodness (0:1.16). Deity is the goal of personality experience and divinity is that quality of character of personality which man potentially acquires for himself in his search for Deity.

Is our human personality exactly like that of the Fathers’s Personality? Was Jesus’ personality like Michael’s Divine Personality? Is all personality alike as the TAs are alike?

Does “personality experience” experience change? Can motion be balanced and stable?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    emanny3003 wrote:  Is our human personality exactly like that of the Fathers’s Personality?

No.  There are no two personalities alike.  Each and every one of them is unique. (103:1.1; 111:4.6)

emanny3003 wrote:  Was Jesus’ personality like Michael’s Divine Personality?

Jesus’s personality and Michael’s personality are one and the same.  He is one unified personality, who during his incarnation, was merely experiencing the material manifestation of his divine personality. He does not suffer from a multiple personality disorder. (7:5.4; 136:1.6)

emanny3003 wrote:  Does “personality experience” experience change? Can motion be balanced and stable?
    Consider the following quote:
    12:5.9  Personality creates a unique time sense out of insight into Reality plus a consciousness of presence and an awareness of duration.
    emanny3003
    Blocked

No.  There are no two personalities alike.  Each and every one of them is unique. (103:1.1; 111:4.6)

Of course, Bonita. You are correct. The better question is; does finite personality differ from infinite personality and how?

Jesus’s personality and Michael’s personality are one and the same.  He is one unified personality, who during his incarnation, was merely experiencing the material manifestation of his divine personality. He does not suffer from a multiple personality disorder. (7:5.4; 136:1.6)

140:5.2 Jesus loves mankind with a dual affection. He lived on earth as a twofold personality— human and divine. As the Son of God he loves man with a fatherly love—he is man’s Creator, his universe Father. As the Son of Man, Jesus loves mortals as a brother—he was truly a man among men.

You are correct again, Bonita. Jesus did not have ‘two’ personalities but a “twofold” personality. There is semantic difference. It means twice as great or as numerous. So Jesus did not have two personalities just one that was twice as big yet the same.

emanny3003 wrote:  Does “personality experience” experience change? Can motion be balanced and stable?

Consider the following quote:

12:5.9  Personality creates a unique time sense out of insight into Reality plus a consciousness of presence and an awareness of duration.

We experience time as motion. Our unique personalities CREATES a unique motion sense. Finite personalities do not change but they are in motion, otherwise they could not create a unique time sense. Again I ask, can notion be balanced and stable?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    emanny3003 wrote:  Again I ask, can notion be balanced and stable?

I’m wondering why you ask when I’m certain you already know the answer.  Wasn’t this fully covered on the science forum a little while back?  What’s your point?  Or did you really mean the word notion? We certainly have not yet discussed balanced and stable thinking.  I’m open to conversation on that topic, but not on what we’ve already discussed ad nauseum.

emanny3003
    Blocked

I’m wondering why you ask when I’m certain you already know the answer.  Wasn’t this fully covered on the science forum a little while back?  What’s your point?  Or did you really mean the word notion? We certainly have not yet discussed balanced and stable thinking.  I’m open to conversation on that topic, but not on what we’ve already discussed ad nauseum.

Sorry for the typo Bonita. Actually my point is that personality in finite persons is unchanging by virtue of balance motion, not the absolute infinite version of personality. Motion and stillness are two sides of the same coin.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    I find the second half of this quote fascinating.  Personality has a consciousness of presence.   I think this consciousness is critical to the functioning of the personality circuit. The personality experience of the presence of God is an ever-present possibility within the soul. (5:1.3)  This consciousness of the presence of God within is consciousness of a relationship with Deity.  The relationship is constantly changing, as is the consciousness of the relationship; however, the individual personality and the presence of God (Adjuster) do not change at all.  Two changeless entities in an eternal state of cocreation is a true, beautiful and good experience.
    emanny3003
    Blocked

Bonita, I find your insight on this truly inspiring. Thank you. I am truly stirred with emotion. I actually am choking up and my eyes are welling up with tears. This is nothing less than auto revelation. My TA and I recognize it.

nelsong
    Participant

Bonita wrote: without personality mind is only material.

got me thinking that this concept should involve the adjadants??

The influence of Wisdom must be present for mind to get past material??

when in life does this 6 th  adjadant manifest?? Isn’t about the same time the Adjuster shows up ?? Would this be when personality is bestowed??? A triple whammy on a very young person.

Am I missing it??

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

nelsong wrote:Bonita wrote: without personality mind is only material. got me thinking that this concept should involve the adjutants?? The influence of Wisdom must be present for mind to get past material??

That’s basically what I meant.  Mind doesn’t need personality to function, as we see in the animal kingdom. But when personality is present, mind then intervenes between the material and the spiritual levels of reality.  This sets up choices, or options.  In order for mind to intervene between the material and spiritual, there has to be a spiritual level present.  The spirit of worship is the first introduction to the spiritual level.

36:5.11 6. The spirit of worship – the religious impulse, the first differential urge separating mind creatures into the two basic classes of mortal existence. The spirit of worship forever distinguishes the animal of its association from the soulless creatures of mind endowment. Worship is the badge of spiritual-ascension candidacy.

nelsong wrote:  when in life does this 6 th  adjadant manifest?? Isn’t about the same time the Adjuster shows up ?? Would this be when personality is bestowed??? A triple whammy on a very young person. Am I missing it??

The UB does not give us any indication exactly when the spirit of worship begins to function.  We know that in the case of Andon and Fonta, the spirit of worship made contact a year before the spirit of wisdom (62:6.5). In humans, the spirit of wisdom begins to function sometime prior to the 6th year since it must be present for the arrival of the Adjuster (108:2.1).  Does it take a full year in humans for the spirit of worship to do its preparatory work?  I don’t think so, but we are not informed precisely.

Once the spirit of wisdom functions, the individual enters the seventh psychic circle.  This is evidence that the personality has to begun to exhibit true function in its role of unification by the power of choice (110:6.1).  But this is not the time of bestowal of personality; it is a time of the personality’s recognized functionality in the universe (5:6.6), and this is because of the resulting bestowal of the Thought Adjuster and the presence of the Holy Spirit.  It is the Adjuster who gives a personality its universe identity (5:6.6; 49:6.5; 49:6.11; 112:3.7; 112:5.2; 112:5.4; 112:5.18: 113:6.1; 113:6.5).

The UB does not tell us exactly when personality is bestowed, but we know that as soon as a being becomes self-aware and exhibits free will, it has personality (112:3.3; 133:7.6).  Therefore, personality must exist prior to entering the seventh psychic circle since entrance into that circle requires a freewill choice (108:2.1). Entrance into the seventh circle is evidence that an individual personality has developed, or matured, it’s power of volition to a point worthy of receiving an Adjuster in order to become a universe citizen.

110:6.13 The seventh circle. This level is entered when human beings develop the powers of personal choice, individual decision, moral responsibility, and the capacity for the attainment of spiritual individuality. This signifies the united function of the seven adjutant mind-spirits under the direction of the spirit of wisdom, the encircuitment of the mortal creature in the influence of the Holy Spirit, and, on Urantia, the first functioning of the Spirit of Truth, together with the reception of a Thought Adjuster in the mortal mind. Entrance upon the seventh circle constitutes a mortal creature a truly potential citizen of the local universe.

nelsong
    Participant

Thank you so much for putting this information together.

so thinking about a child prior to the functioning of the higher adjadants, the bestowal of TA and personality:

can we call them animals?

:-) :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    nelsong wrote:  so thinking about a child prior to the functioning of the higher adjadants, the bestowal of TA and personality: can we call them animals?

It depends on how you define animal. There’s a difference between animals and human animals.  To be considered human, there must be personality.

Jesus said that once an animal becomes self-aware, it becomes a primitive man (human) (133:7.6).  A primitive man has personality, which is the source of his self-awareness or self-consciousness.  When a child becomes aware of him/herself, strictly speaking,  he/she cannot be called an animal; (but you might choose to call the little rugrat a human animal).  Recognizing your own existence as separate from other existences is one of the hallmarks of personality.  And this is what sets up the potential for moral choices, the very moral choices which open the door for entrance into the psychic circles of personality realization.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Another thing that Jesus said concerning personality concerns language.  He said that it is forever impossible for animals to develop verbal language. Elsewhere in the UB it states that language appears with the ability to make moral judgments, a feature of personality and free will.  We know that babies begin to attempt language development within a few months of birth; therefore, there must be personality present, although functioning at a primitive level. (52:1.6; 130:2.8)

Another hint as to the timing of personality is the following quote:

42:12.2 Mind is always creative. The mind endowment of an individual animal, mortal, morontian, spirit ascender, or finality attainer is always competent to produce a suitable and serviceable body for the living creature identity. But the presence phenomenon of a personality or the pattern of an identity, as such, is not a manifestation of energy, either physical, mindal, or spiritual. The personality form is the pattern aspect of a living being; it connotes the arrangement of energies, and this, plus life and motion, is the mechanism of creature existence.

The mind endowment of an individual produces the body.  It is not by accident that the central nervous system quickly develops in utero.  If mind ministry is driving the development of the body in utero, then personality is responsible for the arrangement of the energies involved in that development.  Personality is the pattern aspect of the mechanism of existence.  Then, the UB elaborates further:

42:12.11 The liaison of the cosmic mind and the ministry of the adjutant mind-spirits evolve a suitable physical tabernacle for the evolving human being.

The cosmic mind and the adjutants are responsible for evolving the body of a human being.  This evolution, in my opinion, occurs in utero. In using the term human being, the author is including personality.  Likewise, we know that Gabriel appeared to Mary the day after conception of Jesus.  To do this so early on in her pregnancy would suggest that the pattern of Jesus’ personality was present busily arranging the energies necessary for the cosmic mind and adjutants to evolve a suitable physical tabernacle for him.  At least it seems so to me.

122:3.4 Gabriel’s announcement to Mary was made the day following the conception of Jesus and was the only event of supernatural occurrence connected with her entire experience of carrying and bearing the child of promise.

emanny3003
    Blocked

122:3.4 Gabriel’s announcement to Mary was made the day following the conception of Jesus and was the only event of supernatural occurrence connected with her entire experience of carrying and bearing the child of promise.

Was Jesus a person at conception?

nelsong
    Participant

he was just one cell at conception – well maybe there was a sperm cell poking away as well.

hard to imagine personality and the endowments required for personality to function stuffed into one cell.

but all things are possible with Jesus’ very unique situation. Imho

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    nelsong wrote:  he was just one cell at conception – well maybe there was a sperm cell poking away as well. hard to imagine personality and the endowments required for personality to function stuffed into one cell. but all things are possible with Jesus’ very unique situation. Imho

Yeah, I agree.  I only brought it up as something to think about.  Jesus’ situation was special in that he had a preexistent personality.  Humans technically don’t have that luxury.  Even so, Gabriel made his announcement the day following conception.  The zygote has at least two cells, possibly 4 within the first 30 hours after fertilization.  I’m not saying that Michael’s personality was crammed into those cells.  The way I understand it is that personality is the pattern that arranges the energy within the cells.  The physical pattern is built into the DNA, the personality pattern is something else, and all we know about it is that it unifies and arranges and is essentially a part of the original personality, the First Person of Deity.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.