what is personality

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions what is personality

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    nelsong
    Participant

I have been trying to figure an approach to discussing this and the first thing that comes to mind is the hesitation of the revelators to attempt a description of exactly what Personality is.

We are informed that Personality “is” a level of Deified Reality, it “is” superimposed on energy, it “is” a gift from the Father, it “is” changeless in the face of changing experience, it “is” relatively creative or co-creative “it “is absolutely unique in time, space, eternity and on Paradise, it “is” uniquely concious of time, it “is” bestowed by the Father as a potentially eternal endowment. .

Beyond this revelation of what Personality “is” they seguay into more what it does.

I have always thought that Personality is the common factors of individuality that we all see in eachother every day but no, it unifies these factors. This means that Personality is “not” body, mind, spirit or soul.

One could write a book on this.

What about Personality superimposed on energy, and being “associated” with life? Can I take this to mean that Personality permeates the entire electrochemical body? We are told it can unify any living energy system.

And the range of function can take personality to approach the Absolute, the recognition of the fact of personality – and the fact of Personality is God’s secret and it is the choice of the Personality to do Gods will that gets it to the Absolute.

Id love to hear more thoughts on the entire subject.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

What about Personality superimposed on energy, and being “associated” with life? Can I take this to mean that Personality permeates the entire electrochemical body? We are told it can unify any living energy system.

Personality is the pattern which discloses the uniqueness of a given energy system (0:6.12; 42:12.9). Personality has the power to unify an energy system through volition and mind is the arena where options for unification are discovered, recognized, interpreted and chosen. Whenever personality is present, mind operates to intervene between matter and spirit, giving personality opportunities to choose between the two; the opportunity to decide to unify with spirit dominance or matter dominance.  Without personality mind is only material.  Personality, being a divine pattern, recognizes the original divine personality, Deity, and therefore has the potential to choose Divinity as the dominant stimulus for unification.  By unification, they mean unifying the energy system with the superior, spiritual and divine options recognized as part of Deity.

A dog does not have personality, but it is a living energy system with a mind that offers choices, but only material choices which do not require the higher will of a unifying personality.  Personality is able to utilize mind for spiritual reflection, which means that it is capable of relating to spiritual ministry.  Why can’t a dog do that?  Because spiritual reflection requires the presence of a divine person within the mind.  Morality and spiritual insight require a relationship between personalities, human and divine.  Fellowship with the personality of Deity is the eternal goal of universe ascension, (112:2.8) and the purpose of the psychic circles of personality realization (110:6.1).  Personality is what makes relating to Deity and attaining the perfection of divinity possible.  It’s a relationship and only personalities form true relationships, because they have the power to choose to do so.  Choice is so very critical to this process and this precious power of choice is only possible with the presence of personality.

God divested himself of everything he is capable of divesting himself of and gave it all away.  He gives away personality as well, but there is no personality apart from him, and no personality exists except for him.  The only thing he asks is that we recognize this and choose to be part of him.  Personality is the only way this can happen.

5:6.4 The bestowal of personality is the exclusive function of the Universal Father, the personalization of the living energy systems which he endows with the attributes of relative creative consciousness and the freewill control thereof. There is no personality apart from God the Father, and no personality exists except for God the Father. The fundamental attributes of human selfhood, as well as the absolute Adjuster nucleus of the human personality, are the bestowals of the Universal Father, acting in his exclusively personal domain of cosmic ministry.

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

nelsong wrote:

“One could write a book on this…”

“I’d love to hear more thoughts on the entire subject.”

Hi nelsong — yep, the authors do make a fuss about Personality, don’t they!

For me, one thing that was hidden in plain sight for 32 years was the name the authors gave to the reality that defines the largest frame in which we humans can think.  They chose to call this foundation of reality “I AM“.

I AM.  Does it get more personal than that?

This simple fact only recently became obvious: what is the most personal of all truths? The fact that I am; the fact that we are; the fact that we and the Father are one.

Which got me to thinking: why was the Father unable to delegate responsibility for Personality? As Bonita pointed out above, He handed off everything else.  What’s different about Personality?  I’ve come to think the UB is implying an unimagined connection between ( personality ) and ( the essence of the I AM ).

Which helps to put into perspective the breath-taking work our Michael has committed to do for the Father: make it possible for two aspects of the I AM to discover each other, and fuse. An individuated point of Personality, wilfully fertilizing an Adjuster fragment of the One who is upstream of the great differentiation into dual domains.

This mortal life – as a moment of opportunity for two fragments of the I AM Father Infinite to create an unbounded potential – you and me.

Wow.  Whoda thought.  :good:

Nigel

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

The authors do tell us that when it comes to personality meanings and values, the I AM is synonymous with the First Person of Deity, the Universal Father of all personalities (105:1.2).  Yet, we are also told that the self-metamorphesis of the monistic I AM resulted in simultaneous inter-relationships within the I AM resulting in the revelation of the presence of the First Person of Deity as a personality we recognize as the Universal Father. In essence this establishes personality as a relationship. Moreover, although the I AM is pre-reality, pre-actual and pre-personal, the Universal Father is real, actual and personal (105:2.3) as a result of this relationship.

I find it fascinating and mystifying that we receive a fragment of pre-personality, presumably a part of the I AM, to dwell within us; and all it requires is the establishment of a personality relationship within the soul to actualize the reality.  The other fascinating and mystifying part of this is the fact that the relationship between personality and pre-personality is self-revelatory resulting in self-realization (making the self more real). The full revelation of the personality of the Father appears only through personal religious experience (2:6.1), with the emphasis on personal and experience.  The pre-personality of the I AM is existential and pre-actual.  The relationship within the soul between the personality and the pre-personality results from experience, making it actual.  And this is what I think the Supreme is all about, the perfect synthesis of existential pre-personality with experiential personality.

emanny3003
    Blocked

The prepersonality of The I AM results in the Personalities of The Holy Trinity as The I AM extends itself from the infinity of a singularity to the infinity of Three as One.

nelsong
    Participant

It is interesting to me that the Son is the less approachable absolute personality.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    nelsong wrote:  It is interesting to me that the Son is the less approachable absolute personality.

Are you referring to this quote:

6:8.5  Even though the Eternal Son is the pattern of mortal personality attainment, you find it easier to grasp the reality of both the Father and the Spirit because the Father is the actual bestower of your human personality and the Infinite Spirit is the absolute source of your mortal mind. But as you ascend in the Paradise path of spiritual progression, the personality of the Eternal Son will become increasingly real to you, and the reality of his infinitely spiritual mind will become more discernible to your progressively spiritualizing mind.

nelsong
    Participant

Yeah, that is what I was thinking about, thanks.

Interesting they put it as ‘grasping the reality’ however.

Having a progressive personal relationship with the Father would do too.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    nelsong wrote:  Interesting they put it as ‘grasping the reality’ however.

Yeah, that is interesting, especially since it is so easy for us to grasp the reality of the personality of the son of the Eternal Son and Universal Father, who is none other than Jesus and his Spirit of Truth.  I suppose they are referring to the unique personality of the Eternal Son and his spirit-gravity. We grasp, or gravitate to, the Universal Father’s personality through his personality circuit, made possible by the Thought Adjuster, whereas the Eternal Son’s personality has no other access except through the Creator Sons. The spirit-gravity circuit is for spirit, not personality.  So, the Father draws us through his personality and the Son through his spirit.  Somehow, somewhere, the two (personality and spirit) have to cohere.  Being “isolated” beings, he who indwells the mind must have a greater influence  . . . that’s my guess, anyways.  The Creator Sons don’t indwell; but when they become sovereign, they do have the capacity to influence the mind through the Spirit of Truth.

2:7.7 The eternal quest is for unification, for divine coherence. The far-flung physical universe coheres in the Isle of Paradise; the intellectual universe coheres in the God of mind, the Conjoint Actor; the spiritual universe is coherent in the personality of the Eternal Son. But the isolated mortal of time and space coheres in God the Father through the direct relationship between the indwelling Thought Adjuster and the Universal Father. Man’s Adjuster is a fragment of God and everlastingly seeks for divine unification; it coheres with, and in, the Paradise Deity of the First Source and Center.

Then again, as ascending sons, we supposedly attain recognition of the personality of the Eternal Son before recognizing the personality of the Universal Father.  The source and center of the spirit-gravity circuit, the Eternal Son, is recognized before the source and center of the personality circuit, despite the fact that we have direct access to it.

14:5.4 When intelligent beings first attain the central universe, they are received and domiciled on the pilot world of the seventh Havona circuit. As the new arrivals progress spiritually, attain identity comprehension of their superuniverse Master Spirit, they are transferred to the sixth circle. (It is from these arrangements in the central universe that the circles of progress in the human mind have been designated.) After ascenders have attained a realization of Supremacy and are thereby prepared for the Deity adventure, they are taken to the fifth circuit; and after attaining the Infinite Spirit, they are transferred to the fourth. Following the attainment of the Eternal Son, they are removed to the third; and when they have recognized the Universal Father, they go to sojourn on the second circuit of worlds, where they become more familiar with the Paradise hosts. Arrival on the first circuit of Havona signifies the acceptance of the candidates of time into the service of Paradise. Indefinitely, according to the length and nature of the creature ascension, they will tarry on the inner circuit of progressive spiritual attainment. From this inner circuit the ascending pilgrims pass inward to Paradise residence and admission to the Corps of the Finality.

It makes sense intellectually, but one has to wonder at the fact that the Eternal Son’s personality, who is revealed only through his Sons, comes first and the Father, who has direct access, personality to personality, must wait until we recognize the Eternal Son’s personality.  The Father being the source of personality maintains that prerogative, I suppose.  Although the Father is the secret of personality reality and the destiny for personality, the Eternal Son is the absolute personality.  What do you suppose the difference is between the personality of the Universal Father and the personality of the Eternal Son that makes it imperative that he be recognized and known first?  I think the following quote explains it:

7:7.2 The character of God could not possibly be intrinsically improved upon in the person of the Son, for the divine Father is infinitely perfect, but that character and personality are amplified, by divestment of the nonpersonal and nonspiritual, for revelation to creature beings. The First Source and Center is much more than a personality, but all of the spirit qualities of the father personality of the First Source and Center are spiritually present in the absolute personality of the Eternal Son.

The personality of the Father is amplified in the Son because it is divested of all that is nonpersonal.  I think this heightens our ability to perceive Spirit personality prior to recognizing the full monty present in the Universal Father.  I find the order here interesting, first recognition involves mind-gravity, second involves spirit-gravity and finally we arrive at our destiny by personality-gravity. Lots to think about here.

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Here is a definition of personality from a college textbook: “a unique combination of emotional, thought, and behavioral patterns that affect how a person reacts to situations and interacts with others.,”

BB

nelsong
    Participant

Yeah, well my dog demonstrates exactly the same characteristics but that same college text would certainly not refer to my beagle “benson brave heart” as a person.

its got to be a Harvard text – eh?

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Yeah, well my dog demonstrates exactly the same characteristics but that same college text would certainly not refer to my beagle “benson brave heart” as a person. its got to be a Harvard text – eh?

Lol :-)

BB

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Another remarkable feature of personality is self-consciousness . . . not just consciousness, but self-consciousness (1:7.6; 5:6.3; 16:8.5-7; 16:9.7; 112:2.9).  Personalities are aware of the existence of themselves as personalities as well as the existence of other personalities. Personality is always in a relationship; there is no such thing as an isolated personality.  Even “I AM as I AM” is the self-relationship of Infinity (105:2.1).

The unifying powers of personality are dependent upon the willingness to become self-conscious of the interrelationship of all persons and things. This is essentially what the psychic circles are all about, making the personality more real.  It is no small matter that the Spirit of Truth directs all such matters, enabling one to develop a balanced personality.

emanny3003
    Blocked

Personalities are aware of the existence of themselves as personalities as well as the existence of other personalities. Personality is always in a relationship; there is no such thing as an isolated personality.  Even “I AM as I AM” is the self-relationship of Infinity (105:2.1).

In reality “I AM” never existed without The Trinity.

105:2.1 In considering the genesis of reality, ever bear in mind that all absolute reality is from eternity and is without beginning of existence. By absolute reality we refer to the three existential persons of Deity, the Isle of Paradise, and the three Absolutes. These seven realities are co-ordinately eternal, notwithstanding that we resort to time-space language in presenting their sequential origins to human beings.

From eternity “I AM” existed as the extension, Father, Son and Spirit. These are “symbolized” as three concentric circles. Each share the center “I AM”. Each is equal because concentric circles are orthogonal. They are ‘related’ by right handedness. The Son truly sits at the right hand of the Father. This is the only way to extend equally in infinity. The radius of the circles are at right angles to the circles themselves and extend in infinity as each circle has infinite radii. This is time-space concession even though these geometries are ideal and represent nothing in time-space.

In order to maintain this balance in time-space creations, it requires a balanced, rhythmic, interchange of motion. The Master Universe rotates with alternating counter motions as it respire in rhythmic breathes. This is spiral motion. This is the same pattern for personality. This is the only way that ‘unchanging personality’ can be balanced.

In order to keep a balance there must be motion and change. In order to maintain an unchanging personality, balance and rhythm and interchange is required.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

A balanced personality is a stable personality and stability is always proportional to divinity (12:6.1).  Jesus is our example of a perfectly balanced, stable and divine personality (100:7.1).  The goal of all personalities is to achieve similar unification and stability.  Personality accomplishes this through fellowship with Deity and recognition of divinity (112:2.8; 115:3.15).  Divinity is comprehended as truth, beauty and goodness (0:1.16). Deity is the goal of personality experience and divinity is that quality of character of personality which man potentially acquires for himself in his search for Deity.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.