True Religion

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions True Religion

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Hey Scott, you’re supposed to have your own interpretation.  It’s rare that two people share the same interpretation.  Philosophy is an individualized thing.  But since we’re talking about true religion, could you define your interpretation of the phrase “true philosophy”?

Because we all have souls and an adjuster and the SOT those spiritual influences can get us started.

Where do you think the adjutants and the Holy Spirit come in?  Don’t they also get us started?

Within that philosophic consciousness we can engage religion with a more objective hand and  that allows us to have True Religion.

I asked before and you didn’t answer.  What is philosophic consciousness?

If the one truly objective reality is the Thought Adjuster (196:3.21) then what role does the Adjuster play in objectifying religious experience which is a “purely spiritual subjective phenomenon” (103:9.5)? 

TUB
    Participant

Where do you think the adjutants and the Holy Spirit come in?  Don’t they also get us started?

Yes :).

Here is a quote that hints that we an have some objectivity mindally.

(1105.5) 101:2.1 The fact of religion consists wholly in the religious experience of rational and average human beings. And this is the only sense in which religion can ever be regarded as scientific or even psychological. The proof that revelation is revelation is this same fact of human experience: the fact that revelation does synthesize the apparently divergent sciences of nature and the theology of religion into a consistent and logical universe philosophy, a co-ordinated and unbroken explanation of both science and religion, thus creating a harmony of mind and satisfaction of spirit which answers in human experience those questionings of the mortal mind which craves to know how the Infinite works out his will and plans in matter, with minds, and on spirit.

I asked before and you didn’t answer.  What is philosophic consciousness?

A true philosophic consciousness IMO is one that sees the cosmos, and is like the cosmos. A synthesis of a material and spiritual consciousness. Its a way of viewing of reality in a 3-fold perspective. Its also a moral consciousness and a cosmic consciousness.  There is  a lot more that could be said but I don’t speculate beyond what I feel confident in. IMO its a mindal domain in the Holy Spirit, and in this domain the SOT and the Adjuster are better able to minister to us. IMO this cosmic domain is the “temple within” the “kingdom of heaven within”.  IMO its also a reflective domain, where we can look up and out of ourselves.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Just want to acknowledge my delight and appreciation for so many thoughtful and reflective posts on this topic.  Nelson – I have been overwhelmed by personal and professional demands but also want to state my agreement with your premise – True Religion has many forms I think and can certainly be both experienced and expressed by anyone – including my atheist friends – regardless of beliefs or shared vocabulary of its description or definition.  I have said elsewhere that I have come to believe that love is true religion and those who share this love in care for any others is experiencing true religion.  It may not be “high” religion or congnizant or “enlightened” by the mind, but is there love and love response without Spirit?  Nope.  Is love an alignment of the individual with God and God’s way?  You bet it is.

As Bonita points out, motive and intent are key in this regard.  But there are many religionists living, in some form and manner, the True Religion and may not even recognize or acknowledge that truth.   But soul grows by love and by service.  Whatever grows soul is true….True Religion.

Thanks everyone….WOW….what a topic and such scholarship and intuition for our mutual upliftment.  Peace.

:good:

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

A true philosophic consciousness IMO is one that sees the cosmos, and is like the cosmos.

I’m curious what you think of my description of cosmic consciousness. It’s still in draft form, but it sounds close to what you’re trying to describe.

Cosmic consciousness is an experiential consciousness, part of the evolution of the Supreme Being.  The cosmic mind is made accessible to personality by the ministration of the Holy Spirit, a personal mind ministry. And when combined with the presence of the Adjuster, creates the capacity for spiritual insight.

Cosmic consciousness is a personality realization of the interrelatedness of trifold experience: mind, body and spirit which are functionally inter-associated  This requires a recognition of cosmic values and their potential for actualization.  It is a process which begins in the seventh psychic, or cosmic circle and evolves through to the first circle with ever increasing cosmic consciousness.

Reality recognition, innate in the self-consciousness of personality, requires the quest of discovery as a first step.  Once value is discovered, a reaction takes place with cosmic mind gravity, much like a universe handshake, a grasping form of recognition.  The discovery, then recognized, must progress by the interpretation of meaning through experience.  This indicates that the mind has identified a correlation or interrelatedness with other reality experiences.  It is like an interlocking of puzzle pieces, a viola! moment of one’s personal relationship and identification with cosmic reality.

The more meanings and values recognized and chosen, the more potentials made actual, the more conscious one becomes of a trifold relationship with cosmic reality, the Supreme Being.  This involves not only a cosmic mind recognition response, but an integrated personality validation through decision-action derived from cooperation with the triune spiritual forces within the soul (Father, Son and Holy Spirit). Cosmic consciousness grows along with the soul as the personality obtains cosmic insight into value and dares to actualize its meaning through living experience, thereby augmenting the soul’s awareness of its relation and contribution to the cosmos.

TUB
    Participant

Lots of truth there :).

TUB
    Participant

Religion comes from the root word “religio” which means “to bind back”. That is what religion is IMO, its a binding action, where we are binding our self back to God.  

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

(1124.5) 102:6.3 The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

Seems some things are inseparable.

;-)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

(1124.5) 102:6.3 The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation. . .

There you go! Faith is personal.  The fruits of faith are social.

Observing minds and discriminating souls know religion when they find it in the lives of their fellows. Religion requires no definition; we all know its social, intellectual, moral, and spiritual fruits. And this all grows out of the fact that religion is the property of the human race; it is not a child of culture. True, one’s perception of religion is still human and therefore subject to the bondage of ignorance, the slavery of superstition, the deceptions of sophistication, and the delusions of false philosophy.  (Paper 102)

TUB
    Participant

(1124.5) 102:6.3 The religionist of philosophic attainment has faith in a personal God of personal salvation, something more than a reality, a value, a level of achievement, an exalted process, a transmutation, the ultimate of time-space, an idealization, the personalization of energy, the entity of gravity, a human projection, the idealization of self, nature’s upthrust, the inclination to goodness, the forward impulse of evolution, or a sublime hypothesis. The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization. 

Seems some things are inseparable.

Yea I never suggested that we had to give up one for the other. Why not have both at the same time?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

There you go! Faith is personal.  The fruits of faith are social.

And the purpose of the ascension career is socialization of the personality, which means the bearing of much fruit.

p647:05  Cosmic socialization constitutes the highest form of personality unification.

p1946:3 In fact, the branch exists only for, and can do nothing except, fruit bearing, yielding grapes. So does the true believer exist only for the purpose of bearing the fruits of the spirit: to love man as he himself has been loved by God—that we should love one another, even as Jesus has loved us.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

(1124.5) 102:6.3  The religionist has faith in a God of love. Love is the essence of religion and the wellspring of superior civilization.

This bit from Rodan caught my eye, as true religion embraces maturing and matured ideals of our origin, our history and our destiny.

In a continually changing world, in the midst of an evolving social order, it is impossible to maintain settled and established goals of destiny. Stability of personality can be experienced only by those who have discovered and embraced the living God as the eternal goal of infinite attainment. And thus to transfer one’s goal from time to eternity, from earth to Paradise, from the human to the divine, requires that man shall become regenerated, converted, be born again; that he shall become the re-created child of the divine spirit; that he shall gain entrance into the brotherhood of the kingdom of heaven. All philosophies and religions which fall short of these ideals are immature. The philosophy which I teach, linked with the gospel which you preach, represents the new religion of maturity, the ideal of all future generations. And this is true because our ideal is final, infallible, eternal, universal, absolute, and infinite.
    Reader
    Reader
    Participant

Bonita, you write:

I’m curious what you think of my description of cosmic consciousness. It’s still in draft form, but it sounds close to what you’re trying to describe.

Cosmic consciousness is an experiential consciousness, part of the evolution of the Supreme Being…. [and etc.]

I recommend you put this up for discussion on a separate thread, where it may receive more attention and response. Do you mind? I have some ideas…

-Reader

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Bonita, you write: I’m curious what you think of my description of cosmic consciousness. It’s still in draft form, but it sounds close to what you’re trying to describe. Cosmic consciousness is an experiential consciousness, part of the evolution of the Supreme Being…. [and etc.] I recommend you put this up for discussion on a separate thread, where it may receive more attention and response. Do you mind? I have some ideas… -Reader

Sure thing.  It’s a page out of a book I’m in the middle of editing. It’s in sore need of peer review.  But right now my internet is down. Workers are outside digging up cable as we speak. Meanwhile, I’m using a handheld which is a pain in the rear end to type on. It will have to wait, unless you want to start the thread yourself. I’m anxious to hear your ideas.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

This bit from Rodan caught my eye, as true religion embraces maturing and matured ideals of our origin, our history and our destiny.

160:1:14 In a continually changing world, in the midst of an evolving social order, it is impossible to maintain settled and established goals of destiny. Stability of personality can be experienced only by those who have discovered and embraced the living God as the eternal goal of infinite attainment. And thus to transfer one’s goal from time to eternity, from earth to Paradise, from the human to the divine, requires that man shall become regenerated, converted, be born again; that he shall become the re-created child of the divine spirit; that he shall gain entrance into the brotherhood of the kingdom of heaven. All philosophies and religions which fall short of these ideals are immature. The philosophy which I teach, linked with the gospel which you preach, represents the new religion of maturity, the ideal of all future generations. And this is true because our ideal is final, infallible, eternal, universal, absolute, and infinite.

Me here:  Thank you Mara.  While it is true that personal religious experience and spirit progress is the True Religion, it is also true that each experience has much different variables of actual universal truth content.  I, as a recovering fundamentalist raised in a strict doctrine which teaches that few know the real “truth” as defined by beliefs and facts, one of the greatest comforts and truths I discovered in the Revelation is the relative and profoundly greater importance of love, service (acts of love), and faith to spiritize the religionist and bring progress to the believer.  Faith and act trump belief.  Indeed, a set of beliefs not acted upon are not and cannot really be true to the religionist.  Belief must have two tests:  the faith in one’s belief sufficient to change one’s choices and behavior; the experience to recognize the changes within which those acts and choices bring to mind…..the fruits of the spirit.  Jesus did not deliver an extensive or exclusive creed of belief and neither does the UB – they both delivered a way to live and a way to change our life.  Not all seek such change, indeed, many fear or resist such change as is required of True Religion.  Peace.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Faith and act trump belief. Indeed, a set of beliefs not acted upon are not and cannot really be true to the religionist. Belief must have two tests: the faith in one’s belief sufficient to change one’s choices and behavior; the experience to recognize the changes within which those acts and choices bring to mind…..the fruits of the spirit.

I think beliefs are really true to the religionists who hold them.  Fundamentalists stick to those beliefs of tradition as true to them and it seems to me they are fixated on them. But I have always believed that people are spiritually nourished in spite of fundamentalistic beliefs.  Thought Adjusters, the SoT and all other ministrations are constantly, tirelessly assisting the individual in the uplifting aspects of whatever belief system the individual is currently tasting.  After all, divine truth is best known by it’s spiritual flavor.  And I do think fundamentalists are attracted to the spiritual flavor of their religion.  They do get something out of it, even if it is on the order of “Thou shalt not. . . .”  They do praise God, Allah, the Supreme Creator, Yahweh,  or whatever word they use to designate their highest and supremest ideal of the First Cause of all.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.