Thoughts on spirit gravity

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Thoughts on spirit gravity

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Gene
    Participant
    1. From paper 7: “The Son’s spiritual drawing power is inherent to a lesser degree in many Paradise orders of sonship. For there do exist within the absolute spirit-gravity circuit those local systems of spiritual attraction that function in the lesser units of creation. Such subabsolute focalizations of spirit gravity are a part of the divinity of the Creator personalities of time and space and are correlated with the emerging experiential overcontrol of the Supreme Being.  (Me here: Does this refer to our creator son?)
      Spirit-gravity pull and response thereto operate not only on the universe as a whole but also even between individuals and groups of individuals. There is a spiritual cohesiveness among the spiritual and spiritized personalities of any world, race, nation, or believing group of individuals. There is a direct attractive- ness of a spirit nature between spiritually minded persons of like tastes and longings. The term kindred spirits is not wholly a figure of speech.”

How to resolve or integrate this statement with This statement from paper 194:
    “In a way, mankind is subject to the double influence of the sevenfold appeal of the universe spirit influences. The early evolutionary races of mortals are subject to the progressive contact of the seven adjutant mind-spirits of the local universe Mother Spirit. As man progresses upward in the scale of intelligence and spiritual perception, there eventually come to hover over him and dwell within him the seven higher spirit influences. And these seven spirits of the ad- vancing worlds are:
    1. The bestowed spirit of the Universal Father—the Thought Adjusters. 2. The spirit presence of the Eternal Son—the spirit gravity of the universe
    of universes and the certain channel of all spirit communion.

3. The spirit presence of the Infinite Spirit—the universal spirit-mind of all creation, the spiritual source of the intellectual kinship of all progressive in- telligences.
    4. The spirit of the Universal Father and the Creator Son—the Spirit of Truth, generally regarded as the spirit of the Universe Son.
    5. The spirit of the Infinite Spirit and the Universe Mother Spirit—the Holy Spirit, generally regarded as the spirit of the Universe Spirit.
    6. The mind-spirit of the Universe Mother Spirit—the seven adjutant mind-spirits of the local universe.
    7. The spirit of the Father, Sons, and Spirits—the new-name spirit of the ascending mortals of the realms after the fusion of the mortal spirit-born soul with the Paradise Thought Adjuster and after the subsequent attainment of the divinity and glorification of the status of the Paradise Corps of the Finality.
    And so did the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth bring to the world and its peoples the last of the spirit endowment designed to aid in the ascending search for God.”

I read that Jesus lived the perfect or better yet the perfected human life. I assume this means that he apuired  spirit gravity over time as his human person evolved? Aquired spirit gravity on the absolute level while here on Urantia? (Something more than humanly possible)
    How can we imagine how this added to his attractive magnetic personality as he lived, traveled and taught? As he aged this spirit gravity became stronger and more attractive?? Or do you think he possessed this absolute level of spirit gravity as a child? Or possibly he aquired absolute spirit gravity after progressing through Morontia?? He must have possessed it prior to his incarnation on Urantia, no?? Then gave it up and re-aquired it?

Aquiring spirit gravity is part of being a progressing human.

what do you think? What could it be like to be in such close proximity to absolute spirit gravity, especially for those sincere truth seekers that he ran into.

Just thinking.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Aquiring spirit gravity is part of being a progressing human.

Gene, we don’t acquire gravity, and Jesus didn’t either.  Gravity is not an acquisition.  It’s not something that can be possessed.  Just like a giant magnet attracts magnetic material, the spirit gravity circuit attracts spirit which has moved from the potential to the actual phase of reality. It’s more a matter of attunement to the power of gravity forces (becoming magnetized or spiritized by the Adjuster).   The more real we become the more responsive we are to spirit gravity force (7:3.2), but we never acquire the actual gravity force itself. It’s like love, we never possess it (117:6.10).

Spirit gravity belongs to the Eternal Son, he’s the sole owner.  Our Creator Son has gravity control over a subabsolute portion of that spirit gravity circuit,  just as our Creative Spirit has gravity control over a subabsolute portion of the cosmic mind with its mind gravity circuit.  Nevertheless, anything with spiritual value goes straight up to Paradise after it passes through them.  They are gravitational substations, so to speak, as explained in this quote concerning spirit gravity:

7:3.4 The discriminative operation of the spirit-gravity circuit might possibly be compared to the functions of the neural circuits in the material human body: Sensations travel inward over the neural paths; some are detained and responded to by the lower automatic spinal centers; others pass on to the less automatic but habit-trained centers of the lower brain, while the most important and vital incoming messages flash by these subordinate centers and are immediately registered in the highest levels of human consciousness.

7:3.5 But how much more perfect is the superb technique of the spiritual world! If anything originates in your consciousness that is fraught with supreme spiritual value, when once you give it expression, no power in the universe can prevent its flashing directly to the Absolute Spirit Personality of all creation.

Gene
    Participant

So how should we interpret this statement?

“Spirit-gravity pull and response thereto operate not only on the universe as a whole but also even between individuals and groups of individuals. There is a spiritual cohesiveness among the spiritual and spiritized personalities of any world, race, nation, or believing group of individuals. There is a direct attractive- ness of a spirit nature between spiritually minded persons of like tastes and longings. The term kindred spirits is not wholly a figure of speech.”

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Notice they mention this phrase: ” . . . among the spiritual and spiritized personalities of any world”.  It is the spiritized character traits of each person which cohere within the relationships.  It’s the magnetized-spiritized portion of their personalities which are drawn together because all those magnetized-spiritized parts are being pulled in the same direction by spirit gravity.  It’s not that they have the gravity themselves, but that they all are responsive to the same gravity, and their response is in similar ways due to similar personal religious experience.  Remember that only actuated potentials are magnetized-spiritized.  Kindred spirits share similar spiritual experiences thus share in the same attraction to spirit gravity.  Mind gravity works the same way as explained below:

16:6.3 The fact of the cosmic mind explains the kinship of various types of human and superhuman minds. Not only are kindred spirits attracted to each other, but kindred minds are also very fraternal and inclined towards co-operation the one with the other. Human minds are sometimes observed to be running in channels of astonishing similarity and inexplicable agreement.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Enjoying the discussion very much.  Read Paper 7 and 117….on to 16 next!

I noticed an interesting comparison between physical gravity and spirit gravity in 7.  Material gravity is mass-responsive – the greater the quantity, the greater the response to gravity.  But spirit gravity is quality-responsive – the more spiritized we are, the more responsive we get.  I also understood that there is an accelerating effect as spiritization delivers more quality.  I think this is demonstrated within the mortal by the growth of soul and the accumulation, aggregation, integration, and wise utilization of our progressive spiritization.  Recall that “spiritization” is one of those unique terms invented by the authors to represent something specific and not fully described or defined by any existing words in the English language.

Circle progress, the fruits of the Spirit, and the transfer of the seat of personal identity are our personal response to the ministry of the TA, Son’s Spirit, and higher adjutants (Mother Spirit) and demonstrate spiritization by the quality of our experience.  I’m unsure how the quantity of spirit motivated choices and the quantity of love expression/sharing affects or expresses this spiritization of the individual but perhaps quantity of experience/expression/realization delivers, over time, the quality of such experience?

I think even in a family, community, nation, and/or world that kindred spirit and kindred mind realities deliver a functionality of epochal progress….meaning the more of it that there is, the more power and effect is realized…momentum of cooperative collaboration among mortals is gained as more and more of us are more and more spiritized during the mortal life on the worlds of birth.  This is analogous in some ways to the Supreme I think….the more that time and space creations are spiritized, the greater power and effect does the Supreme have in time and space.  I was fascinated to read in 117 how the creatures of time and space will not truly know the Supreme until the Supreme is fully actualized by the entirety of time and space creature spiritization!  Or something like that…..

7:1.3 [Part I]
    Spirit realities respond to the drawing power of the center of spiritual gravity in accordance with their qualitative value, their actual degree of spirit nature. Spirit substance (quality) is just as responsive to spirit gravity as the organized energy of physical matter (quantity) is responsive to physical gravity. Spiritual values and spirit forces are real. From the viewpoint of personality, spirit is the soul of creation; matter is the shadowy physical body.

7:3.2 [Part I]
    The spiritual-gravity pull of the Eternal Son constitutes the inherent secret of the Paradise ascension of surviving human souls. All genuine spirit values and all bona fide spiritualized individuals are held within the unfailing grasp of the spiritual gravity of the Eternal Son. The mortal mind, for example, initiates its career as a material mechanism and is eventually mustered into the Corps of the Finality as a well-nigh perfected spirit existence, becoming progressively less subject to material gravity and correspondingly more responsive to the inward pulling urge of spirit gravity during this entire experience. The spirit-gravity circuit literally pulls the soul of man Paradiseward.

Me here:  Whereas the reflectivity circuit resides or operates in the cosmic mind and all thoughts are transmitted and recorded (known), Paper 7 also says the Eternal Son receives and knows precisely the quality of all choice and experience. Our prayers are measured for such quality and all prayer including such qualifying qualities always find a response and are directed through the spirit circuit to the responding agent of Deity…or Deity themselves.

7:1.4 [Part I]
    The reactions and fluctuations of spirit gravity are ever true to the content of spiritual values, the qualitative spiritual status of an individual or a world. This drawing power is instantly responsive to the inter- and intraspirit values of any universe situation or planetary condition. Every time a spiritual reality actualizes in the universes, this change necessitates the immediate and instantaneous readjustment of spirit gravity. Such a new spirit is actually a part of the Second Source and Center; and just as certainly as mortal man becomes a spiritized being, he will attain the spiritual Son, the center and source of spirit gravity.

André
    André
    Participant

Very interesting explanations,explorations.

12:3.2 [part 3]

All four absolute-gravity circuits in the master universe:

1. The Personality Gravity of the Universal Father.

2. The Spirit Gravity of the Eternal Son.

3. The Mind Gravity of the Conjoint Actor.

4. Thé Cosmic Gravity of the Isle of Paradise.

These four circuits are not related to the nether Paradise force center; they are neither force, energy, nor power circuits. They are absolute presence circuits.

Interesting reading those 4 gravity circuits are define as “absolute presence” “universal presences”. Mind boggling !!!

So,the absolute archetype (Isle of Paradise), an object, a personnality can be define as “a presence” because they exist ?

Def: … a person or thing that exists

Presence applies not only to our personal existence, but to everything that exists.

Gravity systems of the master universe.

The Universal Father is infinite and acts over all four absolute-gravity circuits in the master universe.

From the Isle of Paradise,cosmic gravity is issue. Is this  gravity pulled basic physical units of universe matter to return as personnality, spirit,mind does ? 12:3.4

I wouldn’t leave you in expectation about brotherhood’s occurences.

Whenever,wherever,whatever disparate opinions can be expressed as non-comformity or with conformity…

Nothing whatsoever can tainted my affection,  my love towards each of you(Gene included).

André
    André
    Participant

Dear Bradly,

Would you like Debby Boune “Light up my … understanting?

… and higher adjutants (Mother Spirit) 

TUB tell us all adjutants are 36:5.4  …a level of consciousness of the Divine Minister.

Maybee is a technicallity… in my mind higher adjutants will refered to the 6 and 7.

Difficult to quenched my thirst regarding quantity/quality. Keep explain, keep explore, keep up fraternity among brotherhood.

Proud of you

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

The way I understand it is that quality responds to spirit gravity, quantity responds to physical gravity. This is why the more spiritual our minds become, the less responsive we are to physical gravity and the more responsive to spirit gravity.  Quantity is mass, quality is spirit.  Mind gravity draws thought toward greater quality responsiveness via the three reality recognition reflexes. The more reality attuned the mind, the greater the quality response, the lesser the quantity response.

7:1.3 Spirit realities respond to the drawing power of the center of spiritual gravity in accordance with their qualitative value, their actual degree of spirit nature. Spirit substance (quality) is just as responsive to spirit gravity as the organized energy of physical matter (quantity) is responsive to physical gravity. Spiritual values and spirit forces are real. From the viewpoint of personality, spirit is the soul of creation; matter is the shadowy physical body.

12:8.5 As the mind of any personality in the universe becomes more spiritual – Godlike – it becomes less responsive to material gravity. Reality, measured by physical-gravity response, is the antithesis of reality as determined by quality of spirit content. Physical-gravity action is a quantitative determiner of nonspirit energy; spiritual-gravity action is the qualitative measure of the living energy of divinity.

16:6.4 There exists in all personality associations of the cosmic mind a quality which might be denominated the “reality response.” It is this universal cosmic endowment of will creatures which saves them from becoming helpless victims of the implied a priori assumptions of science, philosophy, and religion. This reality sensitivity of the cosmic mind responds to certain phases of reality just as energy-material responds to gravity. It would be still more correct to say that these supermaterial realities so respond to the mind of the cosmos.

Gene
    Participant

Bonita wrote:

“Spirit substance (quality) is just as responsive to spirit gravity as the organized energy of physical matter (quantity) is responsive to physical gravity.”

this above clip and your other highlighted parts of two other quotes continue to make me think that this spirit gravity phenomena is a mutual attraction between the absolute source of spirit gravity and personalities that are becoming spiritized. Analogous to physical matter where all matter that has mass has physical gravity making the attraction mutual but proportional to mass. Both have gravity one proportional to mass the other to actualized value.

the only thing that so far makes me question my reasoning is the fact that the source of physical gravity being Paradise is referred to in the revelation as a “pattern” or part of pattern where the source of spirit gravity is the original son, an absolute person. Also spirit gravity seems to be specific to persons but that’s one I’m not quite certain of.

God the father as an upholder is fundament to the function and existence of physical gravity and the son is spirit gravity. You see any distinctions or similarities there that are interesting?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Analogous to physical matter where all matter that has mass has physical gravity making the attraction mutual but proportional to mass. Both have gravity one proportional to mass the other to actualized value.

Nailed it.

the only thing that so far makes me question my reasoning is the fact that the source of physical gravity being Paradise is referred to in the revelation as a “pattern” or part of pattern where the source of spirit gravity is the original son, an absolute person.

Pattern is something that has paid all gravity debts.  Pattern is not responsive to gravity.

0:6.11 Pattern may configure energy, but it does not control it. Gravity is the sole control of energy-matter. Neither space nor pattern are gravity responsive, but there is no relationship between space and pattern; space is neither pattern nor potential pattern. Pattern is a configuration of reality which has already paid all gravity debt; the reality of any pattern consists of its energies, its mind, spirit, or material components.

Also spirit gravity seems to be specific to persons but that’s one I’m not quite certain of.

It’s not only persons but actual spirit values as well:

14:2.7 The universal spiritual gravity of the Eternal Son is amazingly active throughout the central universe. All spirit values and spiritual personalities are unceasingly drawn inward towards the abode of the Gods. This Godward urge is intense and inescapable. The ambition to attain God is stronger in the central universe, not because spirit gravity is stronger than in the outlying universes, but because those beings who have attained Havona are more fully spiritualized and hence more responsive to the ever-present action of the universal spirit-gravity pull of the Eternal Son.

7:3.2 The spiritual-gravity pull of the Eternal Son constitutes the inherent secret of the Paradise ascension of surviving human souls. All genuine spirit values and all bona fide spiritualized individuals are held within the unfailing grasp of the spiritual gravity of the Eternal Son.

7:1.10 The Eternal Son dominates the realm of actual spiritual values, whereas the Deity Absolute seems to pervade the vast domain of potential spirit values. All actual value of spirit nature finds lodgment in the gravity grasp of the Eternal Son but, if potential, then apparently in the presence of the Deity Absolute.

God the father as an upholder is fundament to the function and existence of physical gravity and the son is spirit gravity. You see any distinctions or similarities there that are interesting?

Physical gravity is a manifestation of the Isle of Paradise (9:1.7).  Personality gravity is a manifestation of God the Father.  Spirit gravity is a manifestation of God the Son. Mind gravity is a manifestation of God the Spirit. And they are all presence circuits.

12:3.2 1. The Personality Gravity of the Universal Father.

12:3.3 2. The Spirit Gravity of the Eternal Son.

12:3.4 3. The Mind Gravity of the Conjoint Actor.

12:3.5 4. The Cosmic Gravity of the Isle of Paradise.

12:3.6 These four circuits are not related to the nether Paradise force center; they are neither force, energy, nor power circuits. They are absolute presence circuits and like God are independent of time and space.

Gene
    Participant

Thx for so much clarification.

more thoughts about this:

12:3.2 1. The Personality Gravity of the Universal Father.

12:3.3 2. The Spirit Gravity of the Eternal Son.

12:3.4 3. The Mind Gravity of the Conjoint Actor.

12:3.5 4. The Cosmic Gravity of the Isle of Paradise.

12:3.6 These four circuits are not related to the nether Paradise force center; they are neither force, energy, nor power circuits. They are absolute presence circuits and like God are independent of time and space.

If all four circuits are independent of time and space (I can think of lots of stuff about this) how is it then that spirit gravity responses happen instantaneous with no delay as opposed to physical or Cosmic-Gravity response which happens based on the square of distance and mass (or something like that)??

i don’t recall reading about travel delays regarding mind or personality circuit responses. Assume these are also instantaneous???

Kind of cool to consider kindred spirit relations or contact or recognition or associated spirit gravity interactions or responses as happening instantaneous- independent of time and space while existing in time and space.

back to my original idea: if our actualized values have spirit gravity then some have more than others. Granted there mutual attraction differs from the physical in regard to time delay but what about the spirit gravity that Jesus possessed? How did it change over time, it must have because Jesus lived his life as a human and humans that progress spiritually will actualized values throughout their lifetimes and accumulate spirit gravity. Jesus as our local universe creator is a manifestation of absolute spirit gravity functioning in time and space. He possessed this level of spirit gravity,  or must have prior to and some time after his incarnation on Urantia. What happened during his incarnation.

still thinking.

Gene
    Participant

One more thought: the act of actualizing values requires time and happens in space and involves personality. Once actualized, this new value transcends time and space as it responds to its gravity circuit.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

if our actualized values have spirit gravity

They do not have spirit gravity.  They are responsive to spirit gravity.

then some have more than others.

Nobody has anything when it comes to gravity. Gravity is not something that can be had. What they have more of is circle progress and soul growth.  We are not busy making decisions just so our souls can get stuffed with gravity.  The contents of the soul is spiritual experience gained by choosing reality (which is value).

but what about the spirit gravity that Jesus possessed?

Maybe someone else can explain this . . . getting frustrated.  I think I’ve tried every which way I know of to explain that gravity cannot be possessed.

How did it change over time,

Spirit gravity does not change.  It is absolute, see quote 12:3.6 above.

humans that progress spiritually will actualized values throughout their lifetimes and accumulate spirit gravity.

Spirit gravity cannot accumulate.  It is not quantity.  It is quality.  You seem to be conflating divinity attainment with spirit gravity accumulation, which cannot happen. They are not the same thing.  Read quote 14:2.7 again.  It says that spirit gravity does not get stronger or weaker . . .  that’s because it does not change and it is not quantitative.

He possessed this level of spirit gravity,  or must have prior to and some time after his incarnation on Urantia.

Jesus did not then, nor does he now possess spirit gravity.  His personality is a subabsolute focalization of the Eternal Son’s absolute spirit gravity circuit (7:1.5).  Focalization means that the spirit gravity circuit in Jesus’ local universe of Nebadon passes through him on its way to the Eternal Son.

What happened during his incarnation.

He grew a soul; then, when he was supposed to fuse, he instead got his gazillions-old memory back, including his memory of his Paradise experience with the Eternal Son.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

One more thought: the act of actualizing values requires time and happens in space and involves personality. Once actualized, this new value transcends time and space as it responds to its gravity circuit.

Yup. It is captured by spirit gravity, but also resonates in the Supreme.  Cool stuff.

Gene
    Participant

if our actualized values have spirit gravity

They do not have spirit gravity. They are responsive to spirit gravity.

then some have more than others.

Nobody has anything when it comes to gravity. Gravity is not something that can be had. What they have more of is circle progress and soul growth. We are not busy making decisions just so our souls can get stuffed with gravity. The contents of the soul is spiritual experience gained by choosing reality (which is value).

but what about the spirit gravity that Jesus possessed?

Maybe someone else can explain this . . . getting frustrated. I think I’ve tried every which way I know of to explain that gravity cannot be possessed.

How did it change over time,

Spirit gravity does not change. It is absolute, see quote 12:3.6 above.

humans that progress spiritually will actualized values throughout their lifetimes and accumulate spirit gravity.

Spirit gravity cannot accumulate. It is not quantity. It is quality. You seem to be conflating divinity attainment with spirit gravity accumulation, which cannot happen. They are not the same thing. Read quote 14:2.7 again. It says that spirit gravity does not get stronger or weaker . . . that’s because it does not change and it is not quantitative.

He possessed this level of spirit gravity, or must have prior to and some time after his incarnation on Urantia.

Jesus did not then, nor does he now possess spirit gravity. His personality is a subabsolute focalization of the Eternal Son’s absolute spirit gravity circuit (7:1.5). Focalization means that the spirit gravity circuit in Jesus’ local universe of Nebadon passes through him on its way to the Eternal Son.

What happened during his incarnation.

He grew a soul; then, when he was supposed to fuse, he instead got his gazillions-old memory back, including his memory of his Paradise experience with the Eternal Son.

believe me I do understand what you are saying but I have difficulty getting past references to equivalents to physical gravity. Sometimes getting certain concepts takes repeating myself.

thx for hanging in there with me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.