One Like John the Baptist

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions One Like John the Baptist

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Zuimon wrote: Bonita, do you mean that if I leave in a hissy fit you’ll get hate mail from me, or from other people?

From the moderators.  They think I’m crass, totally lacking in tact.  And they’re right!

Zuimon wrote:  And besides Bonita, I love sparring with you. I’m sorry if it’s difficult for you . .

How wonderful, I’ll get my mitts. It’s not difficult at all, I just need to budget enough time for it.   No problem at all.  But the last time you ran away and I don’t know why, maybe to refuel?

Zuimon wrote:  But you’ve helped me no end, to which I will always be very grateful.  And perhaps one day we might even catch up on the other side and see who was right after all?

Glad to be of service.  My guess is that being right is a relative thing and we’ll both discover new meanings on the “other side”.  I can see beneath the surface of some of your writing that there is a pearl hidden there, but I don’t think you’ve recognized it yet.

Keryn wrote:  What exactly is your goal, here?

Great question Keryn.  It’s possible that Zuimon doesn’t know it himself.

Keryn
    Participant

“But the last time you ran away and I don’t know why, maybe to refuel?”

What username(s) did this person use before?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

What username(s) did this person use before?

Same one.  I think he/she first started posting under Rick’s topic about truth, if my memory serves me well.   I wrote an entire topic on the soul in response to on Zuimon’s opinions.  Did you read it? I stopped writing because I didn’t know if anyone was still reading it, or cared.  It’s hard to know these things around here, it’s one of my many bugaboos.

André
    André
    Participant

Truthseekers,

I do my homework and read all the post. Even, you Zuimon. And still mumbling  “Why do I still continue to read your posts?  Maybe a relent of Judaism/Christian attitude  … to suffer to gain Paradise !

I feel helpless Zuimon grab your point of view and shared mine. This is like a dialogue of the deaf.  I do not need to wait for mansions worlds. Right here, right now is possible to be drive in all truth. Hope brother, you are just retarded and will get back on tracks.

Could it make senses Zuimon?

In brotherhood,

André

André
    André
    Participant
    Dear Bonita,

Wen I’m feeling blues and just need you to serenade me …. i read that

“From the moderators.  They think I’m crass, totally lacking in tact.  And they’re right! ”  quote • 21621 Bonita

Groovy kind of love,

André

André
    André
    Participant

Bonjour Julian,

I do catch very interesting exchange on your question , between 2 sisters, readers of TUB.

Let’s tender ear … see what they have to said about ….

Posted December 2010    <font color=”blue gray”> http://urantia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/942-john-the-baptist/</font color>

post • 5   Bonita

I’m thinking that John was also sent to revitalize or reawaken the spirit …   The new Baptist, like the old, would have to be one of strong, courageous and impeccable faith.

post • 15

What would a modern day John the Baptist look like? What would he/she be saying and doing to proclaim that the kingdom of God is at hand. He/she won’t be allowed to include any of the organized religions in the message, but will the scriptures be quoted? Will ancient prophets and modern wise men be held up as examples? He/she will not be allowed to mention the return of Christ, but will Christ’s life and teachings be held up as a standard and applied to modern times? What will be the “wake-up” call be that will be powerful enough to focus attention on the indwelling Spirit?

John the Baptist used racial guilt, but that succeeded only because the entire nation was already in a state of expectation, their hearts and minds were already open to the idea. My gut feeling is that we have to wait until God prepares the hearts and minds of modern men and women to expect such a messenger. But is there a way to encourage this process? Surely, there are great men and women in today’s world who are attempting to do just that. Some we know and others will always be in the shadows.

post • 17   Meredith Van Woert

There sure are a lot of effective Jesus preachers around, and they are effective because the Spirit of Truth is with them too! Yes. The Spirit of Truth is abroad in the world wherever there are truth seekers. Are people looking for a John the Baptist, like before?

Maybe. Maybe people are looking for a spokesperson of God – some actual person who will tell what to do to fix the awful problems we have in the world today. I think lots of people see the answers to the problems of the world in terms of one or a combination of several human cultural arenas: social, economic and political. Some people really want and expect Jesus to show up for the instant fix to our material and relational problems, thereby making earth a sort of heaven (or maybe making it the hell of one’s imagination). Depends on one’s world-view. I do not look for a John the Baptist type of person (one greater than John the Baptist), because I’m of the opinion that the world is very behind in spiritual evolution, though we’ve evolved materially and scientifically. It’s just my opinion. We’re too backward in places. There’s too much discord. We haven’t learned to war no more. We haven’t learned brotherly love.

While the Urantia Book is about our origin, history and destiny, for me its mainly about personal religion, as you point out Nigel. But we approach the revelation through the mind and the intellect needs the stimulation, don’t you think, to attain the psychic circles? Anyhow, a John the Baptist type will need to convey his/her messages via the mind/intellectual arena of communications in modern day language. Even on the Internet.     

post • 18     Bonita

The world was not very spiritually evolved prior to any of the prior epochal revelations. In fact, I would say that the world had actually regressed very far prior to some. But, do you think that a new John the Baptist would only appear immediately before a new epochal revelation? In which case, there’s no sense in talking about it for another millennium or so. Or, is it possible that he/she may need to come centuries before or possibly not at all in connection to an epochal revelation?

post • 19     Meredith Van Woert

I don’t have a comment about the timing of a new preacher greater than John. But while studying a different aspect of the teachings, I came across this paragraph referencing John the Baptist as the greatest prophet of the old order, and additionally telling us more – to whit, . . . that the least of those who saw the great light of the new way and entered thereby into the kingdom of heaven was indeed greater than John.”

Jesus began his public work at the height of the popular interest in John’s preaching and at a time when the Jewish people of Palestine were eagerly looking for the appearance of the Messiah. There was a great contrast between John and Jesus. John was an eager and earnest worker, but Jesus was a calm and happy laborer; only a few times in his entire life was he ever in a hurry. Jesus was a comforting consolation to the world and somewhat of an example; John was hardly a comfort or an example. He preached the kingdom of heaven but hardly entered into the happiness thereof. Though Jesus spoke of John as the greatest of the prophets of the old order, he also said that the least of those who saw the great light of the new way and entered thereby into the kingdom of heaven was indeed greater than John. P.1509 – §1

Sooner or later another and greater John the Baptist is due to arise proclaiming “the kingdom of God is at hand” — meaning a return to the high spiritual concept of Jesus, who proclaimed that the kingdom is the will of his heavenly Father dominant and transcendent in the heart of the believer — and doing all this without in any way referring either to the visible church on earth or to the anticipated second coming of Christ. 170.5.19 

Verily, verily, I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen a greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is but small in the kingdom of heaven is greater because he has been born of the spirit and knows that he has become a son of God. P.1627 – §1

If the least of those who saw/see the great light of the new way and enter thereby into the kingdom of heaven were/are greater than John, does it not follow there will be many who were/are greater – past, present and future? Therefore many heralds, proclaiming the kingdom is the will of God dominant and transcendent in the heart of the believer? I can visualize this, but I cannot visualize one single individual arising to proclaim the high spiritual concept of Jesus. It’s just my opinion – my current thinking on the subject. I think there will be many who saw/see the great light of the new way. Many preachers greater than John. At least in these times. I can’t imagine much beyond where the world is at this stage.

post • 21     Bonita

It stands to reason that the new John the Baptist will be greater than the old in terms of seeing the great light of the new way. The quote does state a greater John the Baptist”. John was a preacher; not everyone, even if he/she has seen the great light of the new way, has the gift of preaching that would proclaim the kingdom of God in such a way as to illuminate inner truth.

The quote you provided above sheds light on the possible method the new Baptist might use. It contrasts the Baptist’s preaching and Jesus’ teaching. Perhaps the new Baptist will teach much like the Master, calmly, happily and never in a hurry, always willing to offer comforting consolation and live his life as an example. When you think about it, Gandhi was just such a man, who taught truth without referring to the Church (Hindu or otherwise) or to the second coming of Christ. With him as an example, how many others have there been? How many of them have been slaughtered? How many more do we need? Do we need one even greater than he?

Hope Bonita,  it’s pleasing you review those posts. I figured out both of you circumspect, well this thread.

André

André
    André
    Participant

Bonjour Julian,

I do catch very interesting exchange on your question , between 2 sisters, readers of TUB.

Posted December 2010 • <font color=”blue gray”> http://urantia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/942-john-the-baptist/</font color>

post • 5 Bonita

I’m thinking that John was also sent to revitalize or reawaken the spirit … The new Baptist, like the old, would have to be one of strong, courageous and impeccable faith.

post • 15

What would a modern day John the Baptist look like? What would he/she be saying and doing to proclaim that the kingdom of God is at hand. He/she won’t be allowed to include any of the organized religions in the message, but will the scriptures be quoted? Will ancient prophets and modern wise men be held up as examples? He/she will not be allowed to mention the return of Christ, but will Christ’s life and teachings be held up as a standard and applied to modern times? What will be the “wake-up” call be that will be powerful enough to focus attention on the indwelling Spirit?

John the Baptist used racial guilt, but that succeeded only because the entire nation was already in a state of expectation, their hearts and minds were already open to the idea. My gut feeling is that we have to wait until God prepares the hearts and minds of modern men and women to expect such a messenger. But is there a way to encourage this process? Surely, there are great men and women in today’s world who are attempting to do just that. Some we know and others will always be in the shadows.

post • 17 Meredith Van Woert

There sure are a lot of effective Jesus preachers around, and they are effective because the Spirit of Truth is with them too! Yes. The Spirit of Truth is abroad in the world wherever there are truth seekers. Are people looking for a John the Baptist, like before?

Maybe. Maybe people are looking for a spokesperson of God – some actual person who will tell what to do to fix the awful problems we have in the world today. I think lots of people see the answers to the problems of the world in terms of one or a combination of several human cultural arenas: social, economic and political. Some people really want and expect Jesus to show up for the instant fix to our material and relational problems, thereby making earth a sort of heaven (or maybe making it the hell of one’s imagination). Depends on one’s world-view. I do not look for a John the Baptist type of person (one greater than John the Baptist), because I’m of the opinion that the world is very behind in spiritual evolution, though we’ve evolved materially and scientifically. It’s just my opinion. We’re too backward in places. There’s too much discord. We haven’t learned to war no more. We haven’t learned brotherly love.

While the Urantia Book is about our origin, history and destiny, for me its mainly about personal religion, as you point out Nigel. But we approach the revelation through the mind and the intellect needs the stimulation, don’t you think, to attain the psychic circles? Anyhow, a John the Baptist type will need to convey his/her messages via the mind/intellectual arena of communications in modern day language. Even on the Internet.

post • 18 Bonita

The world was not very spiritually evolved prior to any of the prior epochal revelations. In fact, I would say that the world had actually regressed very far prior to some. But, do you think that a new John the Baptist would only appear immediately before a new epochal revelation? In which case, there’s no sense in talking about it for another millennium or so. Or, is it possible that he/she may need to come centuries before or possibly not at all in connection to an epochal revelation?

post • 19 Meredith Van Woert

I don’t have a comment about the timing of a new preacher greater than John. But while studying a different aspect of the teachings, I came across this paragraph referencing John the Baptist as the greatest prophet of the old order, and additionally telling us more – to whit, . . . that the least of those who saw the great light of the new way and entered thereby into the kingdom of heaven was indeed greater than John.”

Jesus began his public work at the height of the popular interest in John’s preaching and at a time when the Jewish people of Palestine were eagerly looking for the appearance of the Messiah. There was a great contrast between John and Jesus. John was an eager and earnest worker, but Jesus was a calm and happy laborer; only a few times in his entire life was he ever in a hurry. Jesus was a comforting consolation to the world and somewhat of an example; John was hardly a comfort or an example. He preached the kingdom of heaven but hardly entered into the happiness thereof. Though Jesus spoke of John as the greatest of the prophets of the old order, he also said that the least of those who saw the great light of the new way and entered thereby into the kingdom of heaven was indeed greater than John. P.1509 – §1

Sooner or later another and greater John the Baptist is due to arise proclaiming “the kingdom of God is at hand” — meaning a return to the high spiritual concept of Jesus, who proclaimed that the kingdom is the will of his heavenly Father dominant and transcendent in the heart of the believer — and doing all this without in any way referring either to the visible church on earth or to the anticipated second coming of Christ. 170.5.19

Verily, verily, I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen a greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is but small in the kingdom of heaven is greater because he has been born of the spirit and knows that he has become a son of God.” P.1627 – §1

If the least of those who saw/see the great light of the new way and enter thereby into the kingdom of heaven were/are greater than John, does it not follow there will be many who were/are greater – past, present and future? Therefore many heralds, proclaiming the kingdom is the will of God dominant and transcendent in the heart of the believer? I can visualize this, but I cannot visualize one single individual arising to proclaim the high spiritual concept of Jesus. It’s just my opinion – my current thinking on the subject. I think there will be many who saw/see the great light of the new way. Many preachers greater than John. At least in these times. I can’t imagine much beyond where the world is at this stage.

post • 21 Bonita

It stands to reason that the new John the Baptist will be greater than the old in terms of seeing the great light of the new way. The quote does state a greater John the Baptist”. John was a preacher; not everyone, even if he/she has seen the great light of the new way, has the gift of preaching that would proclaim the kingdom of God in such a way as to illuminate inner truth.

The quote you provided above sheds light on the possible method the new Baptist might use. It contrasts the Baptist’s preaching and Jesus’ teaching. Perhaps the new Baptist will teach much like the Master, calmly, happily and never in a hurry, always willing to offer comforting consolation and live his life as an example. When you think about it, Gandhi was just such a man, who taught truth without referring to the Church (Hindu or otherwise) or to the second coming of Christ. With him as an example, how many others have there been? How many of them have been slaughtered? How many more do we need? Do we need one even greater than he?

Hope Bonita, it’s pleasing you review those posts. I figured out both of you circumspect, well this thread.

André

André
    André
    Participant

Bonjour Julian,

Posted December 2010  http://urantia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/942-john-the-baptist/

post • 5   Bonita

I’m thinking that John was also sent to revitalize or reawaken the spirit …   The new Baptist, like the old, would have to be one of strong, courageous and impeccable faith.

post • 15

post • 18     Bonita

Verily, verily, I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen a greater than John the Baptist; yet he who is but small in the kingdom of heaven is greater because he has been born of the spirit and knows that he has become a son of God. P.1627 – §1

post • 21     Bonita

Hope Bonita,  it’s pleasing you review those posts. I figured out both of you circumspect, well this thread.

André

André
    André
    Participant

Bonjour Julian,

Posted December 2010  •   http://urantia.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/942-john-the-baptist/

post • 5   Bonita

post • 15

post • 18     Bonita

post • 21     Bonita

André

André
    André
    Participant

… is anyone could see my last post beginning by

” Bonjour Julian,  I do catch very interesting exchange on your question ”

I submit it but are unable to see the result on the thread !

Thanks

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Andre, I can’t see either of your last two posts here, but I was able to read both of them in my email.  Also, the link to the old forum worked. I miss the old forum very much.  I also miss Bill Martin.  It’s sad that he passed away; now there was a mountain of a man.  I remember doing tons and tons of research back then, but that’s because for some reason I thought people other than myself were interested in it. Not so much anymore.  I’m so glad that you think it worthwhile to read the old stuff now though.  Thanks.

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

Thank you Andre for posting the discussion between Bonita and Mara from the old forum. I didn’t realise that it existed. I was able to read it on my iPhone yesterday but for some reason it has now disappeared! Anyhow, I found it very helpful. Thank you Bonita and Mara!

Bonita, I for one am always interested in doing tons and tons of research and I really appreciate the huge amount of work you put into your posts. Unfortunately, due to my circumstances, I don’t have much time to do this. But please don’t stop doing what you do so well. There are many who really benefit from your tireless scholarship. With love!

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

But paganized and socialized Christianity stands in need of new contact with the uncompromised teachings of Jesus; it languishes for lack of a new vision of the Master’s life on earth. A new and fuller revelation of the religion of Jesus is destined to conquer an empire of materialistic secularism and to overthrow a world sway of mechanistic naturalism. Urantia is now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment. (P.2082.7; 195.9.2)

I wonder if this modern John the Baptist will play a pivotal role in presenting this “new and fuller revelation of Jesus” to the world? This seems to be referring to that time when we would see “a return to the high spiritual concept of Jesus”. If that is the case, then his or her appearance may not be a long way off given that Urantia is “now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment.” An exciting prospect!

André
    André
    Participant

Dearest ones, (including all … MC, Z, mods …. names it )

“…read the old stuff

As per Jerusem those “old stuff ” was written seconds ago ! On mansions world, Bill missed you too, and so proud of yours ever, persist commitment ! Concerning Urantia, 62:5.9  celestial intelligence and Urantian’s permanent inhabitants observe in awe that flabbergast teamwork …  Thought Controller, Seraphic guardians and Child of The Most Hight.

Progress in mind duplication and soul evolution.

Avec affection,

André

André
    André
    Participant

An exciting prospect! Julian

Definition of prospect:

• : the possibility that something will happen in the future.

• : an opportunity for something to happen.

Julian, prospect refer to a potential  …. right?

I like the suggestion of Bonita referring as Gandhi as a figure of ”John the baptist”. What about …

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.”

Mahatma Gandhi *

I am the captain of my soul.”

Nelson Mandela *

Faith is taking the first step even when you don’t see the whole staircase.”

Martin Luther King, Jr. *

* … all of those great human correspond of  …    not mention return of Christ/not mention a religious institution.

Potential must actualize itself.
    What if ….
    Urantia is now quivering on the very brink of one of its most amazing and enthralling epochs of social readjustment, moral quickening, and spiritual enlightenment.
    … the 7 uncommon assets post 21681contribute to such a actualization under our eyes, right now!
    It won’t be the first “unprecedented” on Urantia.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.