Enlarged concepts and advanced truth… What do they mean?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Enlarged concepts and advanced truth… What do they mean?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

We are told:

0:0.2 It is exceedingly difficult to present enlarged concepts and advanced truth, in our endeavor to expand cosmic consciousness and enhance spiritual perception, when we are restricted to the use of a circumscribed language of the realm. But our mandate admonishes us to make every effort to convey our meanings by using the word symbols of the English tongue. We have been instructed to introduce new terms only when the concept to be portrayed finds no terminology in English which can be employed to convey such a new concept partially or even with more or less distortion of meaning.

If it is the case that these UB concepts and truth exist already and are known by mortals but merely expanded upon to convey spiritualized ideas then I believe one should use the very meanings, understandings, and values of these mundane concepts and truth to unpack much of what revelators seek to teach; they could serve as a bedrock to generate higher understanding.  For example, the concept – sleep – is enlarged by the revelators to explain the process of translation. Can people dream during sleep? Yes. So I venture to say the ability to experience dreamlike activity while the soul awaits resurrection exists.

BB

Keryn
    Participant

Interesting question, BB.  I tend to agree with you that it may be possible for sleeping survivors to dream.  But this led me to more closely consider an even more interesting passage from TUB:

30:4.13(341.3) These dispensational classes of world pilgrims are utilized for group morontia activities in the work of the local universes. There is a great advantage in the mobilization of such enormous groups; they are thus kept together for long periods of effective service.

This quote is found within item #2 “sleeping survivors” in paper 30.  Right after this paragraph, it moves on to #3 “Mansion World Survivors”.  So it seems as though it is saying that sleeping survivors, while “unconscious” and “oblivious to the length of their rest” are somehow active in the morontia work of local universes.   Fascinating!  Nothing is wasted, even sleeping survivors are engaged in the Father’s work during the time they wait for the dispensational roll call to resurrection!

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

So I venture to say the ability to experience dreamlike activity while the soul awaits resurrection exists.

The material self, including the material mind with which to think, is dependent upon the existence of vital motion of the life vehicle.  Upon death the vital motion ceases resulting in the dissolution of the material self of mind and matter – dissolution of the physical body.

112:5.14  At death the functional identity associated with the human personality is disrupted through the cessation of vital motion. Human personality, while transcending its constituent parts, is dependent on them for functional identity. The stoppage of life destroys the physical brain patterns for mind endowment, and the disruption of mind terminates mortal consciousness. The consciousness of that creature cannot subsequently reappear until a cosmic situation has been arranged which will permit the same human personality again to function in relationship with living energy.
    No more brain patterns exist with which to dream, until a cosmic situation has been arranged for you.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

So I venture to say the ability to experience dreamlike activity while the soul awaits resurrection exists.

Don’t you need an active mind to dream with?   So, you’re saying the soul is minded and that it remains actively minded while it awaits resurrection.  You’re also suggesting that the soul’s dreams would have thoughts with meanings that can be identified with.  Meanings must be chosen by the personality.  Where is the personality at this time?  NO ONE KNOWS.  The soul is powerless without a personality.  The soul is a mind matrix with passive potentials. While awaiting resurrection it is in a passive state housed and protected by the guardian angel.  The active memory patterns belong to the Adjusters.  The Adjusters don’t dream because they don’t sleep.

47.3.3  The mortal-mind transcripts and the active creature-memory patterns as transformed from the material levels to the spiritual are the individual possession of the detached Thought Adjusters; these spiritized factors of mind, memory, and creature personality are forever a part of such Adjusters. The creature mind-matrix and the passive potentials of identity are present in the morontia soul intrusted to the keeping of the seraphic destiny guardians. And it is the reuniting of the morontia-soul trust of the seraphim and the spirit-mind trust of the Adjuster that reassembles creature personality and constitutes resurrection of a sleeping survivor.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Here’s another quote explaining how you need personality to impart meaning.

112:1.13 Life is really a process which takes place between the organism (selfhood) and its environment. The personality imparts value of identity and meanings of continuity to this organismal-environmental association. Thus it will be recognized that the phenomenon of stimulus-response is not a mere mechanical process since the personality functions as a factor in the total situation. It is ever true that mechanisms are innately passive; organisms, inherently active.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

What is advanced truth?  Truth is always a revelation.  What is the source of revelation?  The Adjuster. Without an Adjuster, the soul could not experience revelation on any level . . . dreamwise or otherwise.

101:4.3 Truth is always a revelation: autorevelation when it emerges as a result of the work of the indwelling Adjuster; epochal revelation when it is presented by the function of some other celestial agency, group, or personality.

Does revelation come only in dream form?  Of course not.  In fact, we’re told that our dreams are grotesque indications of failure of the Adjuster to impart revelation to the human mind during sleep. We’re also told it’s dangerous to think they do.

110:5.4 While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind, and some of your grotesque dreams indicate their failure to make efficient contact. The absurdities of dream life not only testify to pressure of unexpressed emotions but also bear witness to the horrible distortion of the representations of the spiritual concepts presented by the Adjusters. Your own passions, urges, and other innate tendencies translate themselves into the picture and substitute their unexpressed desires for the divine messages which the indwellers are endeavoring to put into the psychic records during unconscious sleep.

110:5.5 It is extremely dangerous to postulate as to the Adjuster content of the dream life. The Adjusters do work during sleep, but your ordinary dream experiences are purely physiologic and psychologic phenomena.

Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Does revelation come only in dream form? Of course not. In fact, we’re told that our dreams are grotesque indications of failure of the Adjuster to impart revelation to the human mind during sleep. We’re also told it’s dangerous to think they do.

Fortunately, it’s not dangerous to think. But it can be unpleasant.  :good:

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

A more interesting question (to me) is whether or not one’s morontia mind – the new mind of the morontia life on the mansion worlds – generates dreams while the individual is sleeping.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Fortunately, it’s not dangerous to think.

Well, that’s just not true, is it?  There are some types of thinking that are very dangerous.  The rebels engaged in some of that type of thinking, which they were free to do, but it was hazardous to the mental health of everyone.

118:8.7 The iniquity of Caligastia was the by-passing of the time governor of progressive human liberation — the gratuitous destruction  of restraining barriers, barriers which the mortal minds of those times had not experientially overridden.

Thinking can be positive or negative, constructive or destructive.  Negative, destructive thinking has repercussions which are dangerous.

p1217:1 111:1.6 Mind is the cosmic instrument on which the human will can play the discords of destruction, or upon which this same human will can bring forth the exquisite melodies of God identification and consequent eternal survival. The Adjuster bestowed upon man is, in the last analysis, impervious to evil and incapable of sin, but mortal mind can actually be twisted, distorted, and rendered evil and ugly by the sinful machinations of a perverse and self-seeking human will. Likewise can this mind be made noble, beautiful, true, and good—actually great—in accordance with the spirit-illuminated will of a God-knowing human being.

111:4.11 This is the problem: If freewill man is endowed with the powers of creativity in the inner man, then must we recognize that freewill creativity embraces the potential of freewill destructivity. And when creativity is turned to destructivity, you are face to face with the devastation of evil and sin–oppression, war, and destruction. Evil is a partiality of creativity which tends toward disintegration and eventual destruction. All conflict is evil in that it inhibits the creative function of the inner life — it is a species of civil war in the personality.

It really does matter how you think, why you think, and what you think.  If you make your life a prayer, then your thinking is, at the very least, directionally correct.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

A more interesting question (to me) is whether or not one’s morontia mind – the new mind of the morontia life on the mansion worlds – generates dreams while the individual is sleeping.

Mara, the morontia body does not need sleep.  It needs rest.

47:4.6 Though you have morontia bodies, you continue, through all seven of these worlds, to eat, drink, and rest.

Morontia rest comes in seasons of reversion and also in certain places where energy is rejuvenated.  The only sleep is during seraphic transport. Nothing is mentioned about dreaming during these times.

Anonymous
    Inactive

It really does matter how you think, why you think, and what you think. If you make your life a prayer, then your thinking is, at the very least, directionally correct.

Bonita, I find your statement above profound, however I’m not sure exactly what you mean by the overall implication, not to mention “making your life a prayer”?  Could you explain a bit more?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

It really does matter how you think, why you think, and what you think. If you make your life a prayer, then your thinking is, at the very least, directionally correct.

While there are hundreds of quotes on pray, praying, and prayer….just re-read Paper 91 again where prayer itself is mentioned over 100 times alone….a good read on enlarged concepts and advanced truth….and some planetary history thrown in to demonstrate the evolution of prayer on our world.

By “directionally correct” I believe Bonita means Godward which would also suggest that sincere prayer is also effective at delivering a predisposition in mind which should result in improvements in how, why, and what “you think”…and think about in ways which adjust motive, intention, priority…and results of sincere choices.  Faith is required for effective prayer and does not require or depend upon one’s intellectual or material gifts for results….and fruits of the Divine Spirit.  Must say the UB certainly expands one’s conceptual appreciation for prayer….effective and enlightened prayer!  Well said Bonita.  Insight and wisdom are delivered when we adjust our perspective by our time in prayer.  So it is not only directionally correct, it is also directionally correcting or corrective!

91:6.7 (1000.1) But the efficacy of prayer in the personal spiritual experience of the one who prays is in no way dependent on such a worshiper’s intellectual understanding, philosophic acumen, social level, cultural status, or other mortal acquirements. The psychic and spiritual concomitants of the prayer of faith are immediate, personal, and experiential. There is no other technique whereby every man, regardless of all other mortal accomplishments, can so effectively and immediately approach the threshold of that realm wherein he can communicate with his Maker, where the creature contacts with the reality of the Creator, with the indwelling Thought Adjuster.

;-)

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bonita wrote: It really does matter how you think, why you think, and what you think. If you make your life a prayer, then your thinking is, at the very least, directionally correct.

While there are hundreds of quotes on pray, praying, and prayer….just re-read Paper 91 again where prayer itself is mentioned over 100 times alone….a good read on enlarged concepts and advanced truth….and some planetary history thrown in to demonstrate the evolution of prayer on our world.

Bradly, you may have misunderstood my previous request to Bonita for a more defined explanation to her statement.  Most recently I have made contact with my first spouse, the mother of my children, where we have had conversations regarding our past lives, and from her perspective, I have been able to discern that there are differences in the way that a female and male think or process data.  I have always known this but because I am male, I cannot really associate the way a female’s thought process functions, although it appears to be more on a psychic format which may work in conjunction with the males thought processing?

I have not always agreed with Bonita’s presentations but since her mention of the alter-ego process that she mentioned on another topic, I had reviewed this section in paper 91, and come to different understanding of what she said, however what has been presented in the UB on this, I understand but, in a slightly different manor, yet I am beginning to understand Bonita’s presentation better.  Therefore, when she indicated above, “It really does matter how you think, why you think, and what you think.”, then that which followed made me think as if it was a little disassociated with what I would have expected at that point, generating my query.

Being that you are male, your perspective is not what I would be looking for, because I feel that her differing way of looking at what is in the UB, would render a more viable perspective.

That being said, I think that there could be a larger concept in how males and females conceive of what is presented in the UB, which may also be associated to how some of the responses seem to come across on this forum.  This is not a right or wrong thing but, more so a different way of thinking, based on gender and experience.  Where I am finding it difficult to understand how one can “make your life a prayer”, although I’m sure there is a logic behind that statement?

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    I would think that when one is personality-restored he/she then will be able to sort out or recount, to a degree or fully, the dreamlike experience. Just like when you dream, the meaning of the dream isn’t achieved until the wake-state when the brain is fully active and conscious.

Don’t you need an active mind to dream with? So, you’re saying the soul is minded and that it remains actively minded while it awaits resurrection. You’re also suggesting that the soul’s dreams would have thoughts with meanings that can be identified with. Meanings must be chosen by the personality. Where is the personality at this time? NO ONE KNOWS. The soul is powerless without a personality. The soul is a mind matrix with passive potentials. While awaiting resurrection it is in a passive state housed and protected by the guardian angel. The active memory patterns belong to the Adjusters. The Adjusters don’t dream because they don’t sleep.

47.3.3 The mortal-mind transcripts and the active creature-memory patterns as transformed from the material levels to the spiritual are the individual possession of the detached Thought Adjusters; these spiritized factors of mind, memory, and creature personality are forever a part of such Adjusters. The creature mind-matrix and the passive potentials of identity are present in the morontia soul intrusted to the keeping of the seraphic destiny guardians. And it is the reuniting of the morontia-soul trust of the seraphim and the spirit-mind trust of the Adjuster that reassembles creature personality and constitutes resurrection of a sleeping survivor.

BB

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant
    A mere thought is dangerous in itself or ascribing thought(s) to TA’s leading then acting upon it to bear its fruits in real-time? I would think that the latter is the case. Otherwise, all those fleeting negative thoughts we experience would have done us in a long time.

What is advanced truth? Truth is always a revelation. What is the source of revelation? The Adjuster. Without an Adjuster, the soul could not experience revelation on any level . . . dreamwise or otherwise.

101:4.3 Truth is always a revelation: autorevelation when it emerges as a result of the work of the indwelling Adjuster; epochal revelation when it is presented by the function of some other celestial agency, group, or personality.

Does revelation come only in dream form? Of course not. In fact, we’re told that our dreams are grotesque indications of failure of the Adjuster to impart revelation to the human mind during sleep. We’re also told it’s dangerous to think they do.

110:5.4 While their mortal hosts are asleep, the Adjusters try to register their creations in the higher levels of the material mind, and some of your grotesque dreams indicate their failure to make efficient contact. The absurdities of dream life not only testify to pressure of unexpressed emotions but also bear witness to the horrible distortion of the representations of the spiritual concepts presented by the Adjusters. Your own passions, urges, and other innate tendencies translate themselves into the picture and substitute their unexpressed desires for the divine messages which the indwellers are endeavoring to put into the psychic records during unconscious sleep. 110:5.5 It is extremely dangerous to postulate as to the Adjuster content of the dream life. The Adjusters do work during sleep, but your ordinary dream experiences are purely physiologic and psychologic phenomena.

BB

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.