What is inexcusable?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions What is inexcusable?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Vern
    Vern
    Participant

A search in The Urantia Book for the word “unforgivable” yields zero results yet a search for the word “forgiveness” yields 47 results as follows:

Show hits in Part: 

This is significant in that the positive takes precedence over the negative in the teachings of The Urantia Book. Forgiveness is a topic worthy of consideration on its own.

Now, regarding the topic of this thread, there is only one instance of the word “inexcusable” in The Urantia Book and it is intended as a harsh rebuke at lack of spiritual brotherhood amongst professed believers. There are two strong words in the particular paragraph, “inexcusable” (too bad to be justified or tolerated) and “reprehensible” (deserving censure or condemnation). Think on this, the only instance mentioned, where behaviour is deserving of censure or condemnation, considered too bad to be justified or tolerated.

…Always we may have diversity of intellectual comprehension and interpretation, even varying degrees of socialization, but lack of spiritual brotherhood is both inexcusable and reprehensible[Paper 170:5.20. page 1866.3]

For contextual reference the full paragraph is as follows:

It is just because the gospel of Jesus was so many-sided that within a few centuries students of the records of his teachings became divided up into so many cults and sects. This pitiful subdivision of Christian believers results from failure to discern in the Master’s manifold teachings the divine oneness of his matchless life. But someday the true believers in Jesus will not be thus spiritually divided in their attitude before unbelievers. Always we may have diversity of intellectual comprehension and interpretation, even varying degrees of socialization, but lack of spiritual brotherhood is both inexcusable and reprehensible[Paper 170:5.20. page 1866.3]

There is great spiritual transformative power at work within sincere truth seekers as true believers in Jesus experience a change in attitude and become spiritually unified.

Regarding spiritual unity we still have much to achieve. For what sincere religionists seek to manifest are love motivated fruits-of-the-spirit, which cannot be achieved by a an act of will but must grow. Exercise of faith which requires mobilization of the total powers of personality.

Man cannot cause growth, but he can supply favorable conditions. Growth is always unconscious, be it physical, intellectual, or spiritual. Love thus grows; it cannot be created, manufactured, or purchased; it must grow. Evolution is a cosmic technique of growth. Social growth cannot be secured by legislation, and moral growth is not had by improved administration. Man may manufacture a machine, but its real value must be derived from human culture and personal appreciation. Man’s sole contribution to growth is the mobilization of the total powers of his personality — living faith.[Paper100:3.7, page 1097.4]

Interesting that growth is an act of “living faith” described as a personality manifestation, “by their fruits you shall know them.”

Now there are heaps of references to “fruits of the spirit” 25 of them, suffice for the purpose of launching this topic, I make clear the connection between fraternity with the divine Adjuster and extent of fruits of the spirit evident in the life experience of the individual believer.

It is because of this God fragment that indwells you that you can hope, as you progress in harmonizing with the Adjuster’s spiritual leadings, more fully to discern the presence and transforming power of those other spiritual influences that surround you and impinge upon you but do not function as an integral part of you. The fact that you are not intellectually conscious of close and intimate contact with the indwelling Adjuster does not in the least disprove such an exalted experience. The proof of fraternity with the divine Adjuster consists wholly in the nature and extent of the fruits of the spirit which are yielded in the life experience of the individual believer. “By their fruits you shall know them.” [Paper 5:2.4, page 64.7]

You may ask, what are the fruits of the spirit?

The consciousness of the spirit domination of a human life is presently attended by an increasing exhibition of the characteristics of the Spirit in the life reactions of such a spirit-led mortal, “for the fruits of the spirit are:

• love,
    • joy,
    • peace,
    • long-suffering,
    • gentleness,
    • goodness,
    • faith,
    • meekness, and;
    • temperance.”

Such spirit-guided and divinely illuminated mortals, while they yet tread the lowly paths of toil and in human faithfulness perform the duties of their earthly assignments, have already begun to discern the lights of eternal life as they glimmer on the faraway shores of another world; already have they begun to comprehend the reality of that inspiring and comforting truth “The kingdom of God is not meat and drink but:

• righteousness,
    • peace, and;
    • joy in the Holy Spirit.”

And throughout every trial and in the presence of every hardship, spirit-born souls are sustained by that hope which transcends all fear because the love of God is shed abroad in all hearts by the presence of the divine Spirit. [Paper 34:6.13, page 381:7]

So, knowing the negative, what is “inexcusable”, it’s all the more compelling to achieve the positive, “desirable” loving fruits of the spirit. Be at peace, what you are becoming is more important than what you are today.

Said Jesus: “My children, if there exists a true and living connection between the child and the Father, the child is certain to progress continuously toward the Father’s ideals. True, the child may at first make slow progress, but the progress is none the less sure. The important thing is not the rapidity of your progress but rather its certainty. Your actual achievement is not so important as the fact that the direction of your progress is Godward. What you are becoming day by day is of infinitely more importance than what you are today. [paper 147:5.7, 1653.1]

Fear not.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Greetings Vern!!  Thanks for such a great topic and introduction.  Just time for one thought:  the quoted paragraph refers to the attitude of believers to other believers as viewed by non-believers.   The church I was raised in taught that few were “saved” and those outside our faith were “condemned” which created a real superiority complex among the “chosen” or redeemed which was a narrowly defined group.  It is hard to attract others to such a position of exclusion or find harmony even between believers of different “faiths”.

I find this fundamentalism to be waning across many religious people, even among Christians.  The Pope recently was quoted as saying:  “…who am I to judge?”  And teaches that all people are God’s children universally.  This fall is the Parliament of World Religions and I am hopeful that believers are finding a way, by the Spirit of Truth no doubt, to find more harmony as children of God.

A good trend I think.  Thanks again.  I look forward to more.

Bradly  :good:

Vern
    Vern
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:I find this fundamentalism to be waning across many religious people, even among Christians.  The Pope recently was quoted as saying:  “…who am I to judge?”
    It takes time to change established and self-limiting ways of thinking to more expansive dynamic and self-developing progressive ethical inclusiveness. Such is the journey to the discovery of spiritual joy.
    Times of great confusion and conflict are times of great opportunity. I’m convinced we live in such momentous times of transition.
    When old things are falling away as new things take their place. Where original and spontaneous, values are accepted and integrated as real an living experiences to be shared, enhanced and consolidated between believers.

Religious living is devoted living, and devoted living is creative living, original and spontaneous. New religious insights arise out of conflicts which initiate the choosing of new and better reaction habits in the place of older and inferior reaction patterns. New meanings only emerge amid conflict; and conflict persists only in the face of refusal to espouse the higher values connoted in superior meanings. [Paper100:4.1, page 1097.5]

I have to smile at some of my internal reactions when reading the difficulties Jesus encountered in teaching the apostles. I could hear myself calling out to them “listen to what he is saying, he’s telling it how it is, so plainly, why don’t you hear the meaning of his words?” I’m sure my seraphic guides are saying similar things to me about my own slow progress. I know my friends are often critical of me when I evidence insincerity or hypocrisy. Life is a process of adaptation and there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. If I feel, I know I’m alive, thank God for that. If I can feel for another, I thank God for that.

Religious perplexities are inevitable; there can be no growth without psychic conflict and spiritual agitation. The organization of a philosophic standard of living entails considerable commotion in the philosophic realms of the mind. Loyalties are not exercised in behalf of the great, the good, the true, and the noble without a struggle. Effort is attendant upon clarification of spiritual vision and enhancement of cosmic insight. And the human intellect protests against being weaned from subsisting upon the nonspiritual energies of temporal existence. The slothful animal mind rebels at the effort required to wrestle with cosmic problem solving. ([Paper100:4.2, page 1097.6]

Doing the Father’s will, simply stated, is a cessation of resistance to his leading. Learning to co-operate, embrace even, the challenge of weaning self from subsistence upon nonspiritual energies of temporal existence.

Such willing co-opertion as will yield fruits of the spirit that has the drawing power that Jesus achieved. People were drawn to him because he loved them. His instruction to believers is, was, and ever will be, “love one another as I have loved you.”

But the great problem of religious living consists in the task of unifying the soul powers of the personality by the dominance of LOVE. Health, mental efficiency, and happiness arise from the unification of physical systems, mind systems, and spirit systems. Of health and sanity man understands much, but of happiness he has truly realized very little. The highest happiness is indissolubly linked with spiritual progress. Spiritual growth yields lasting joy, peace which passes all understanding.[Paper100:4.3, page 1097.7] 

Growth in self mastery naturally yields fruits of the spirit, old habits have passed away, where there was doubting, there now is certainty, where there was suspicion, there now is trust.

You cannot truly love your fellows by a mere act of the will. Love is only born of thoroughgoing understanding of your neighbor’s motives and sentiments.[Paper100:4.6, page 1098:3]

When we turn the full attention of our integrated and balanced personality with a prevaling loving attitude how much easier is it to fathom your neighbor’s motives and sentiments? If your neighbor is evidencing immature or objectionable habits they have not mastered yet, you should sympathetically seek to discern his/her viewpoint, his/her reasons for such objectionable conduct. If once you understand your neighbor, you will become tolerant, and this tolerance will grow into friendship and ripen into love.

Vern
    Vern
    Participant

Impatience is a spirit poison…[Paper 48:7.20, page 557:4]

Be patient with troublesome fellow believers, this is demonstrative of spiritual brotherhood.

Beware of impatience, it is poisonous to the tenuous, trust-based, developing spiritual bonds of brotherhood.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.