What is conscience?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions What is conscience?

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    Van Amadon
    Van Amadon
    Participant

Us, Urantia Book readers.

Where does one find the greatest of all human knowledge?

In the Urantia Book, 196:1.3

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    VanAmadon wrote:Where does one find the greatest of all human knowledge? In the Urantia Book, 196:1.3

Is that right?  If you read the quote carefully, human knowledge with the greatest value, is “to know” the religious life of Jesus.  There is a huge difference between knowledge “of” the religious life of Jesus, which can be read in a book, and knowing the religions life of Jesus as a personal experience.

196:1.3 To “follow Jesus” means to personally share his religious faith and to enter into the spirit of the Master’s life of unselfish service for man. One of the most important things in human living is to find out what Jesus believed, to discover his ideals, and to strive for the achievement of his exalted life purpose. Of all human knowledge, that which is of greatest value is to know the religious life of Jesus and how he lived it.

Reading even more carefully, note that the way to know the religious life of Jesus is to share his religious faith and enter into his life of unselfish service.  It says nothing about throwing books at people or getting them to read them.  Unselfish service does not have to include TUB.

If you want to personally share the Master’s religious faith, you have to get to know him intimately.  He is not in the book, he’s in your soul.  True, reading the book inspires the mind to seek a relationship with him in the soul, but it is not necessary.  Plenty of people have found Jesus without TUB.  He’s a pretty active and very busy guy. He’s working his buns off.  You could join him, maybe?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Us, Urantia Book readers. Where does one find the greatest of all human knowledge? In the Urantia Book, 196:1.3

You (and we) are doing something here and now!!  The internet has unleashed a response mechanism of gigantean proportions to any and all who seek to find.  This is but one example of how those who find the Papers to share them one with another.  There are so many opportunities to bring the Revelation to others.  The Foundation and the Association are not in the business of evangelism – there simply isn’t time or resources as all of those are directed in response to a growing interest and readership and activated student body around the world.  There is so much going on and still to do.  It’s an “all hands on deck” kind of environment.  Never seen anything like it in 4 decades of dissemination!!!!

Notice the “Get Involved” button at the upper right of this screen – enter your email address to get lots of information on events, gatherings, classes, service projects, etc., all designed simply to provide response to growing demand.  And the “News and Publications” as well.  There are many hundreds engaged and coordinated in committees and teams to provide a vehicle for every talent and passion!  Much is already being done by “us/we”….but there is always more to be done too.  What would you like to do?

Apologies for the “plug” everyone.  Every time I hear “what should we do to spread the Good News”, I succumb to recruiting all sincere requests for such opportunity!!  Oh…and we don’t throw books at anyone….but to whomever wants one, there is a way to get one to them.  The efforts of dissemination are not limited to providing access to books to all who wish it, but also to connect those who have them and request them to serve a dynamic demand growth cycle that provides sufficient challenges without looking for targets of evangelism.  What’s the point in giving light to those who do not seek such light or attempting conversion of those who are already fully engaged in personal religious experience and ascendance?  “We” cannot make anyone hunger or thirst….that must come from within!

= )

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Thanks to all…

And to you too!

The topic at prayer circle today was on the subject of taking a detour, due the the many things in life that crop up, and how we handle the circumstances of the unexpected.  A woman told us the following story about a girl at her church.  The girl helped out with the children during church service and had been doing this service work at church for quite awhile.  She loved the children and had an affinity for them.  It was a happy arrangement for the parishioners, for her and for the children.  Then she got pregnant.  The church people who are the deciders of such matters told her she could no longer continue working with the kids, because she was pregnant.  The girl was crushed.  She was heartbroken.

We were outraged, and not a one of us defended that church.  Where is conscience in that church-group?

And I wonder if the church broke the girl’s faith by banning her and discriminating against her?  But that will be up to her, won’t it?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Mara wrote: Where is conscience in that church-group?

Of the four phases?  I’d say the first or second.  They’re confirmative and submissive to tradition and authority, or are just progressive enough to keep the boat afloat, but don’t like it when something rocks the boat.

101.7.4  The great difference between a religious and a nonreligious philosophy of living consists in the nature and level of recognized values and in the object of loyalties. There are four phases in the evolution of religious philosophy: Such an experience may become merely conformative, resigned to submission to tradition and authority. Or it may be satisfied with slight attainments, just enough to stabilize the daily living, and therefore becomes early arrested on such an adventitious level. Such mortals believe in letting well enough alone. A third group progress to the level of logical intellectuality but there stagnate in consequence of cultural slavery. It is indeed pitiful to behold giant intellects held so securely within the cruel grasp of cultural bondage. It is equally pathetic to observe those who trade their cultural bondage for the materialistic fetters of a science, falsely so called. The fourth level of philosophy attains freedom from all conventional and traditional handicaps and dares to think, act, and live honestly, loyally, fearlessly, and truthfully.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Let’s begin with the planetary/cultural effect/impact of the Spirit of Truth, the higher Adjutants (Holy Spirit), and the Angels of ______(fill in the blank).

Hey Bradly, don’t get mad at my nitpicking, but the higher Adjutants are not the Holy Spirit.  Maybe that’s not what you meant, but that’s what it looks like.

I agree with you that it begins with the individual.  There is no way to change the world without changing yourself first.  You can’t feed the masses unless your attitude is properly aligned with spirit.  Do you remember that time during the Transfiguration when the apostles left behind tried to heal a kid who was possessed?  They couldn’t do it.  I’ve always been impressed by what Jesus told them.  He said they didn’t have the right motive and if they did, they could move mountains.  I think the first thing to do when you want to change the world is to get your motives straight.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I found the quote which says you cannot do spiritual work without spiritual power.  Yah gotta get da powah!

158:6.4 “How long will it take you to learn that you cannot time-shorten the course of established natural phenomena except when such things are in accordance with the Father’s will? nor can you do spiritual work in the absence of spiritual power. And you can do neither of these, even when their potential is present, without the existence of that third and essential human factor, the personal experience of the possession of living faith. Must you always have material manifestations as an attraction for the spiritual realities of the kingdom? Can you not grasp the spirit significance of my mission without the visible exhibition of unusual works? When can you be depended upon to adhere to the higher and spiritual realities of the kingdom regardless of the outward appearance of all material manifestations?”

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . says you cannot do spiritual work without spiritual power.

Jesus said, “. . . nor can you do spiritual work in the absence of spiritual power.”  Nor can you do it without “. . . the personal experience of the possession of living faith.”

What is spiritual work?  What is spiritual power?  Is it a “spiritual” ego-trip in the sense of a person advertising him/herself as a spiritual healer?

This evening a friend told me she “prayed over” her sick dog.  I previously heard of the expression praying over.  I imagine my friend actually standing or bending over her dog.  But I’m not sure how she did it.  She said she prayed and prayed over him.  And the next day (which was yesterday) she said her dog was healed.  She told me God healed her dog.  But this afternoon the dog is sick again.  (I meant to empathize with her.  I told her I was sorry her dog was sick.  She knows I am not a pet person.  Animals are fine for what they are,  but I’m not into them.)

He said they didn’t have the right motive and if they did, they could move mountains.

It seems to me I read something about moving mountains, but I couldn’t find it.  Here Jesus explains why they couldn’t heal the epileptic boy.

158:6:3  “No sooner does your faith grasp the identity of the Son of Man than your selfish desire for worldly preferment creeps back upon you, and you fall to discussing among yourselves as to who should be greatest in the kingdom of heaven, a kingdom which, as you persist in conceiving it, does not exist, nor ever shall. Have not I told you that he who would be greatest in the kingdom of my Father’s spiritual brotherhood must become little in his own eyes and thus become the server of his brethren? Spiritual greatness consists in an understanding love that is Godlike and not in an enjoyment of the exercise of material power for the exaltation of self. In what you attempted, in which you so completely failed, your purpose was not pure. Your motive was not divine. Your ideal was not spiritual. Your ambition was not altruistic. Your procedure was not based on love, and your goal of attainment was not the will of the Father in heaven.”

I thought Jesus said faith would remove mountains.

144:2:6  “But when you pray, you exercise so little faith. Genuine faith will remove mountains of material difficulty which may chance to lie in the path of soul expansion and spiritual progress.”
    André
    André
    Participant

Bonjour,

Is conscience a reliable guide in decision-making, as in “Let your conscience be your guide?  Mara  post #22113

No, conscience is not reliable. 92:2.6

I suspect it is related to the fact relationship with God is always present tense; we have past experience and future potential.                                                                                                                                                                                  Mark post#22123

Mark, really like reading this line … still intriguing those tensions not created but appear consequences of creation.

ex: when God created good and potential evil (mistaken judgment )of finite imperfection.

• We knows “conscience” have different levels like our Divine Creative Mother .  95:4.1,      
    • It is trigger by emotional appeal. 154:6.8 
    • Conscience, rightly, admonishes us to do right,  pertaining to right and wrong in conduct. 110:5.1
    • Moral ethical behavior seated in conscience 101:0.3

I think good and wrong are always ingrained in human’s consciousness. From there, free will express itself. Jesus have great consideration toward his childrens/brothers,sisters. He didn’t considered us “evil” but ignorant …

196:2.9Jesus led men …  and taught them that the world was not fundamentally evil ... Jesus did not share Paul’s pessimistic view of humankind. The Master looked upon men as the sons of God and foresaw a magnificent and eternal future for those who chose survival. He was not a moral skeptic; he viewed man positively, not negatively. He saw most men as weak rather than wicked, more distraught than depraved. But no matter what their status, they were all God’s children and his brethren.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

What is spiritual work?  What is spiritual power?  Is it a “spiritual” ego-trip in the sense of a person advertising him/herself as a spiritual healer?

Long ago I had a topic on soul powers.  I can’t remember which forum incarnation it was in or I’d look it up and give you a link.  I’m not sure it has much to do with conscience, but if you want to go there I will. Your decision, since it’s your topic.  And no, it has nothing to do with ego-trips. Ego is why the apostles couldn’t cast out the demon, their motives weren’t pure.  And that could be another topic, true and effective prayer.

Mara wrote: I thought Jesus said faith would remove mountains.

Mara, faith is the proper attitude.  This is something else that can be covered in a topic on prayer if you like.  Remember, Jesus said if we have a spiritual connection with him, if his living spirit (the Spirit of Truth) infuses us to the point where our desires become his (the Jesus mind exchange), this makes our prayer according to God’s will and it will be granted.  That is spiritual power, prayer on steroids.  But there is no self-interest (ego) involved.

180:2.1 If you will maintain this living spiritual connection with me, you will bear abundant fruit. If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition. Herein is the Father glorified: that the vine has many living branches, and that every branch bears much fruit. And when the world sees these fruit-bearing branches—my friends who love one another, even as I have loved them—all men will know that you are truly my disciples.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

No, conscience is not reliable. 92:2.6

Thanks andré.  Here is the full paragraph.

92:2:6  Religion has at one time or another sanctioned all sorts of contrary and inconsistent behavior, has at some time approved of practically all that is now regarded as immoral or sinful. Conscience, untaught by experience and unaided by reason, never has been, and never can be, a safe and unerring guide to human conduct. Conscience is not a divine voice speaking to the human soul. It is merely the sum total of the moral and ethical content of the mores of any current stage of existence; it simply represents the humanly conceived ideal of reaction in any given set of circumstances.
    And conscience isn’t the divine voice speaking to one’s soul.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Mara wrote: And conscience isn’t the divine voice speaking to one’s soul.

Here’s another quote on that subject.

110:5.5 Likewise, it is hazardous to attempt the differentiation of the Adjusters’ concept registry from the more or less continuous and conscious reception of the dictations of mortal conscience. These are problems which will have to be solved through individual discrimination and personal decision.

Apparently the conscience bosses us around constantly.  But at the same time, the Adjuster is also continuously doing what he does.  It seems the mind is always busy doing something to urge us on.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

. . . the dictations of mortal conscience.

Maybe these dictations of conscience are many of those “shoulds” and “shouldn’ts” as in:  I should _______ (fill in the blank) or I shouldn’t_________ (fill in the blank).  I am inclined to think that a “should” that pertains to a person, such as I-should-contact/phone/visit/etc so-and-so, is a different kind of “should” because it pertains to a relationship with that person.  I am also inclined to think there are relationships that are nonspiritual in that such relationships are a means to an end.

112:2:8  All mortal concepts of reality are based on the assumption of the actuality of human personality; all concepts of superhuman realities are based on the experience of the human personality with and in the cosmic realities of certain associated spiritual entities and divine personalities. Everything nonspiritual in human experience, excepting personality, is a means to an end. Every true relationship of mortal man with other persons — human or divine — is an end in itself. And such fellowship with the personality of Deity is the eternal goal of universe ascension.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I am inclined to think that a “should” that pertains to a person, such as I-should-contact/phone/visit/etc so-and-so, is a different kind of “should” because it pertains to a relationship with that person.  I am also inclined to think there are relationships that are nonspiritual in that such relationships are a means to an end.

I agree that personality relationships have value and the dictates of conscience concerning other people are top priority.  At least they are in my book.  But I do also believe that the “shoulds” and “should-nots” concerning things are sometimes very important as well, particularly if the thing involved has something to do with your personality relationships.  Some things have safety issues which need maintenance.  That little voice in your head that keeps saying you “should” get the brakes checked could make the difference in someone’s life.  So the “shoulds” and “should-nots” in regards to things can be the same kind of “should” or “should-not” as for a person.  The thing can rise up on the ladder of value because it has potential to impact a person.  This is one reason why I think they tell us that balanced growth comes from integrating and coordinating all three levels of reality, utilizing all three of the cosmic insights (conscience being duty).

That’s also why, when people ask me if I think God cares about whether they put sugar in their coffee or not, I hesitate.  It depends.  Are you diabetic?  Is someone else depending on you staying healthy? That little act of putting sugar in the coffee may come with moral hazards.  This sort of thing would obviously be different for every person and every situation.  But I think God does care about a lot more than we think.  Since we don’t have the scope of vision he has, we can’t always know how our decisions concerning the “shoulds” and “should-nots” of things affect others.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Great stuff here!!  The “should’s” got me thinking about procrastination:

48:5.8 (551.3) One of the purposes of the morontia career is to effect the permanent eradication from the mortal survivors of such animal vestigial traits as procrastination, equivocation, insincerity, problem avoidance, unfairness, and ease seeking. The mansonia life early teaches the young morontia pupils that postponement is in no sense avoidance. After the life in the flesh, time is no longer available as a technique of dodging situations or of circumventing disagreeable obligations.

What’s that last line saying I wonder?  There’s still plenty of time.

I wonder also if the scale from should-nots up through the shoulds somehow mirrors the spectrum of ethics-morality-the rungs of the Golden Rule?

I agree that there may be great importance, meaning, and value expressed by our shoulds and should nots and both reasoning/logic and wisdom change our “list” based on better motives, intentions, discernment, experience, etc.  The more spiritized we become, the more that list and our perception of it changes.

Opposite of procrastination might be found impulsiveness and/or impatience.  The UB makes clear that with Jesus – the “hour” to act is to be well considered.

= )

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 73 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.