Weaving among the Cro-Magnon

Home Forums Science & History Weaving among the Cro-Magnon

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Carl R
    Carl R
    Participant

Hello All,

I’m new to the forum.  Paleoanthropology is a particular interest of mine and thought I’d start off with something that (as far as I can tell) hasn’t gotten nearly as much notice among UB readers as it deserves…

Early on as a student of The Urantia Book I was struck by this passage:

(830.2) 74:2.7 And Adam and Eve were invested with kingly robes on this occasion, the time of their formal induction into world rulership. Not all of the arts of Dalamatia had been lost to the world; weaving was still practiced in the days of Eden.

I was pretty certain that there was no archeological evidence of the weaving of cloth going back to anything like 35,000 years ago (let alone 500,000).  It also struck me as something that there was little chance that it was something we’d ever have physical evidence of.

To my pleasant surprise, my latter assumption has been proven incorrect.  There is now impressive evidence of the existence of weaving in Cro-magnon culture some 27,000 years ago.

“A detailed examination of the impressions reveals a large variety of weaving techniques. There are open and closed twines, plain weave and nets. Professor Soffer told BBC News Online that twining can be done by hand but plain weave needed a loom.”

Woven Cloth Dates Back 27,000 Years  BBC Online

By now I ought to be used to to how the mainstream media strains at gnats and swallows camels with this kind of thing, but I’m astonished at just how little interest this has gathered.  At least, I trust, jaws dropped in an appropriate manner in certain circles of paleoanthropology.  If there has been any coverage of this from a UB perspective I’d love to know about it.

While it repeats much of the information in the BBC article linked to above, there is some interesting additional commentary here.

It’s also worth noting that not only does this confirm the existence of weaving in the paleolithic, it also is evidence for the UB’s assertion that Blue/Cro-Magnon/proto-Cro-Magnon culture was in some respects much more advanced than was understood at the time of the book’s writing, or now.  For example, the blue men domesticated the elephant (I suspect the authors use “elephant” loosely here) (66:5.5), and had a much higher level of organization than anyone in 1935 or today would have guessed (for example see 81:2:13).  I’m sure that the ravages of time and looting have destroyed most evidence of such things, but weaving is a major boon for the revelation’s cap, and I can’t wait to see what else is to come.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Leaping Lemurs!!!!   Nice profile pic Carl….and welcome!

Thanks so much for sharing such an important “discovery” of our history.  I appreciate your scholarship and look forward to your voice here.  I am so confident that as science progresses in capacity and scope that more and more of the history provided us in the Papers will come to be confirmed.  We are told that in the matter of history…both planetary and universe….the Papers will stand the test of time in its accurate portrayal of how and when all things came about.

Welcome again!

Bradly

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.