the salt

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

A few years ago I read a fascinating book on the history of salt.  The UB has a bit to say about salt deposits, but more importantly is salt used as a metaphor for something.  For what? Here are three examples from the the UB.

140:3:12   “My brethren, as I send you forth, you are the salt of the earth, salt with a saving savor. But if this salt has lost its savor, wherewith shall it be salted? It is henceforth good for nothing but to be cast out and trodden under foot of men.”
    130:2:4   One of the young men who worked with Jesus one day on the steering paddle became much interested in the words which he dropped from hour to hour as they toiled in the shipyard. When Jesus intimated that the Father in heaven was interested in the welfare of his children on earth, this young Greek, Anaxand, said: “If the Gods are interested in me, then why do they not remove the cruel and unjust foreman of this workshop?” He was startled when Jesus replied, “Since you know the ways of kindness and value justice, perhaps the Gods have brought this erring man near that you may lead him into this better way. Maybe you are the salt which is to make this brother more agreeable to all other men; that is, if you have not lost your savor. As it is, this man is your master in that his evil ways unfavorably influence you. Why not assert your mastery of evil by virtue of the power of goodness and thus become the master of all relations between the two of you? I predict that the good in you could overcome the evil in him if you gave it a fair and living chance. There is no adventure in the course of mortal existence more enthralling than to enjoy the exhilaration of becoming the material life partner with spiritual energy and divine truth in one of their triumphant struggles with error and evil. It is a marvelous and transforming experience to become the living channel of spiritual light to the mortal who sits in spiritual darkness. If you are more blessed with truth than is this man, his need should challenge you. Surely you are not the coward who could stand by on the seashore and watch a fellow man who could not swim perish! How much more of value is this man’s soul floundering in darkness compared to his body drowning in water!”
    99:1:4   Religion has no new duties to perform, but it is urgently called upon to function as a wise guide and experienced counselor in all of these new and rapidly changing human situations. Society is becoming more mechanical, more compact, more complex, and more critically interdependent. Religion must function to prevent these new and intimate interassociations from becoming mutually retrogressive or even destructive. Religion must act as the cosmic salt which prevents the ferments of progression from destroying the cultural savor of civilization. These new social relations and economic upheavals can result in lasting brotherhood only by the ministry of religion.
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

testing to see if I can post

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

In wondering about “the salt” of which Jesus speaks, I also wondered about salt as it exists on earth. Do we have a finite amount of that kind of salt? Is more of that kind of salt being made? Are the oceans getting saltier? Is there an expiration date on salt? I did find a bit from a NASA page about oceans.

. . . most of the salt in the oceans comes from the continual rinsing of the earth. Rain falling on the land dissolves the salts in eroding rocks, and these salts are carried down the rivers and out to sea. The salts accumulate in the ocean as water evaporates to form clouds. The oceans are getting saltier every day, but the rate of increase is so slow that it is virtually immeasurable.

Ocean water is currently about 3.5 percent salt. If the oceans dried up, enough salt would be left behind to build a 180-mile-tall, one- mile-thick wall around the equator. More than 90 percent of that salt would be sodium chloride, or ordinary table salt.

Apparently, salt does not have an expiration date. The revelators tell us it serves by being spent. When it is spent, where does it go? Isn’t there more salt to be had? Isn’t “the salt” about the Salt-giver?

140:4:3    In Jesus’ time salt was precious. It was even used for money. The modern word “salary” is derived from salt. Salt not only flavors food, but it is also a preservative. It makes other things more tasty, and thus it serves by being spent.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

The revelators refer to finalitors as “the evolutionary salt” of the universe.

31:0:13  They are indeed the accumulating tried and true souls of time and space — the evolutionary salt of the universe — and they are forever proof against evil and secure against sin.

We start out here on earth.  Here we choose God or not, even though God responds to faintest flicker of faith.  (155:6:17) Is faith the salt?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.