Political Ideology

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Political Ideology

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:. . . the primary purpose of the UB is personal religious growth in the spirit by the elimination of error and reduction of confusion and expansion of perspective, and the result is a more robust/active citizen who is confident in their personal destiny and the destiny of the planet in the hands of the Most Highs and in their relationship with God
    Ah men, ah women!  But hey, the apostles were always dragging down to the material and temporal level the exalted teachings of the Master.  This happens occasionally in study group too.  Back when I was in a cult the teachers were always trying to bend the bible this way n that to fit it into astrology woo-woo.  I don’t know why, though I can guesstimate some reasons from my own experience.  Maybe the fallacy of abstraction is at play. (2:7:5)  Or maybe it’s a I-want-to-be-in-control-of the issue issue.  Or maybe it’s a I-want-a-political-economic-social-fixit-recipe issue.  Or maybe it is a I-want-you-to-tell-me-what-to-do issue.  The revelators tell us there are few real thinkers (110:7:6) because we do not spiritually develop and discipline our minds to the point of favorable liaison with the divine Adjusters.
    Here’s an example of Thomas’ problem of dragging His teachings down to material affairs.
    142:7:17) Jesus replied: “Thomas, Thomas, how long before you will acquire the ability to listen with the ear of the spirit? How long will it be before you discern that this kingdom is a spiritual kingdom, and that my Father is also a spiritual being? Do you not understand that I am teaching you as spiritual children in the spirit family of heaven, of which the fatherhead is an infinite and eternal spirit? Will you not allow me to use the earth family as an illustration of divine relationships without so literally applying my teaching to material affairs? In your minds cannot you separate the spiritual realities of the kingdom from the material, social, economic, and political problems of the age? When I speak the language of the spirit, why do you insist on translating my meaning into the language of the flesh just because I presume to employ commonplace and literal relationships for purposes of illustration?  My children, I implore that you cease to apply the teaching of the kingdom of the spirit to the sordid affairs of slavery, poverty, houses, and lands, and to the material problems of human equity and justice. These temporal matters are the concern of the men of this world, and while in a way they affect all men, you have been called to represent me in the world, even as I represent my Father. You are spiritual ambassadors of a spiritual kingdom, special representatives of the spirit Father. By this time it should be possible for me to instruct you as full-grown men of the spirit kingdom. Must I ever address you only as children? Will you never grow up in spirit perception? Nevertheless, I love you and will bear with you, even to the very end of our association in the flesh. And even then shall my spirit go before you into all the world.”
    (111:1:6) Mind is the cosmic instrument on which the human will can play the discords of destruction, or upon which this same human will can bring forth the exquisite melodies of God identification and consequent eternal survival. The Adjuster bestowed upon man is, in the last analysis, impervious to evil and incapable of sin, but mortal mind can actually be twisted, distorted, and rendered evil and ugly by the sinful machinations of a perverse and self-seeking human will. Likewise can this mind be made noble, beautiful, true, and good–actually great–in accordance with the spirit-illuminated will of a God-knowing human being.
    I think the best plan is be self-disciplined enough to keep your/my mind out of the weeds.
    Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thanks Mara….for getting my point and all the supporting text.  I have noticed some students who seem transfixed and anxious about this political or social or economic malady or that one (plenty enough to choose from to be sure) and seem intensely focused on blaming or condemning this, that, or the other for the state of our current evolutionary progress (or lack thereof).

But the readership enjoys a full spectrum of political positions and philosophies, making politics a more divisive set of issues than it provides any unifying or uniting opportunity.  All such maladies are mere symptoms of evolution and the much larger and urgent need for individuals to focus on personal spirit progress and the demonstration of the fruits of the spirit.

Which is not to say each religionist should shun or ignore the problems of this world.  But we should place less emphasis IMO on political and social “solutions” to the problem as such so called solutions will always inevitably deliver further  unforeseen consequences due to the immaturity and lack of wisdom applied.  Love is the solution….to everything.  Those who live in anxiety, fear, and anger regarding politics and economics merely avoid the true mission of the UB and the true value in the primary solution to progress through the mortal epochs – more love from and for more people.  Or so I see it.

Thanks again Mara for your voice and your scholarship here.

:good:

Sabinatu
    Blocked

I’ll take all this to mean that “The Most Highs” do not have a conflict in “ideologies” among themselves – to be clear, I am talking about the REAL “Most Highs” ala TUB, not the code-talker spin use of that term among “long time readers”…

Part III – The History of Urantia – coming as it does before Part IV – The Life and Teachings of Jesus – must mean that all the “government” discussion and wise suggestions in Part III are meant to place the HUMAN LIFE of Jesus in a new cosmic context.

So if you are going to discuss “government” ideologies, what’s with the incessant schtick meant to suppress the KNOWLEDGE that whoever long time TUB readers think the “Most Highs” are, they are WRONG. Faux “most highs”, must be something they smoked ;-)

So we have a FALSE “Christianity” based on an unreal Atonement Doctrine, infiltrated by “what is torture when greed is good” iniquity, and somehow NO ONE IN USA, all of a sudden with the REVOLUTIONARY passage of The Patriot Act, is allowed to question whether a GOVERNMENT is cosmically insane if it is not willing to enforce experientially earned RULE OF LAW against degenerate depraved sadistic materialists – GLOBAL War, Drug and Slave Lords –  SEE ALL OF PART III in TUB – because that is what Jesus would do – nothing?  And he told his Apostles to do nothing….?!

Jesus serves as an inspiration in all this for the same reason He picked Urantia to begin with – the MAXIMUM contrast.  How can you philosophically argue FOR Nihilism, Hedonism and Anarchy without looking cosmically insane yourself to NORMAL minds?

So I’ll be playing by the same rules as Bradley and Mara have been playing by, not the different set of rules I am supposed to play by…may the best man win – which we all have “faith” that will happen, right?  Spiritual unity and all that jazz…

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Sabinatu wrote:. . . conflict. . .
    Maybe these can soften the penchant for seeing things in negatives.
    4:1:2 ) Can you not advance in your concept of God’s dealing with man to that level where you recognize that the watchword of the universe is progress? Through long ages the human race has struggled to reach its present position. Throughout all these millenniums Providence has been working out the plan of progressive evolution. The two thoughts are not opposed in practice, only in man’s mistaken concepts. Divine providence is never arrayed in opposition to true human progress, either temporal or spiritual. Providence is always consistent with the unchanging and perfect nature of the supreme Lawmaker.
    (4:1:11) I [a Divine Counselor of Uversa] am inclined to believe that it is this far-flung and generally unrecognizable control of the co-ordination and interassociation of all phases and forms of universe activity that causes such a variegated and apparently hopelessly confused medley of physical, mental, moral, and spiritual phenomena so unerringly to work out to the glory of God and for the good of men and angels.
    (4:2:7) The apparent defects of the natural world are not indicative of any such corresponding defects in the character of God. Rather are such observed imperfections merely the inevitable stop-moments in the exhibition of the ever-moving reel of infinity picturization. It is these very defect-interruptions of perfection-continuity which make it possible for the finite mind of material man to catch a fleeting glimpse of divine reality in time and space. The material manifestations of divinity appear defective to the evolutionary mind of man only because mortal man persists in viewing the phenomena of nature through natural eyes, human vision unaided by morontia mota or by revelation, its compensatory substitute on the worlds of time.
    ( 4:3:2) The eternal God is incapable of wrath and anger in the sense of these human emotions and as man understands such reactions. These sentiments are mean and despicable; they are hardly worthy of being called human, much less divine; and such attitudes are utterly foreign to the perfect nature and gracious character of the Universal Father.
    4:4:9) The consciousness of a victorious human life on earth is born of that creature faith which dares to challenge each recurring episode of existence when confronted with the awful spectacle of human limitations, by the unfailing declaration: Even if I cannot do this, there lives in me one who can and will do it, a part of the Father-Absolute of the universe of universes. And that is “the victory which overcomes the world, even your faith.”
    When I was a kid traveling with my family on a road trip, I’d ask, “Are we there yet?” or alternately, “When are we going to get there?” or “How much farther is it?”  Such impatience, such immaturity.  It’s laughable to look back at childhood and silly things like that.  Kids are in a hurry to be grown up, as though it were possible to skip the drawn out process of growth.
    55:6:9) If the mortals of distraught Urantia could only view one of these more advanced worlds long settled in light and life, they would nevermore question the wisdom of the evolutionary scheme of creation. Were there no future of eternal creature progression, still the superb evolutionary attainments of the mortal races on such settled worlds of perfected achievement would amply justify man’s creation on the worlds of time and space.
    Advanced worlds didn’t suddenly get that way.  There is no way to foreshorten the natural, slow, and sure way of accomplishing the divine purposes on our world, socially, economically or politically.  ” The only technique for accelerating the natural trend of social evolution is that of applying spiritual pressure from above, thus augmenting moral insight while enhancing the soul capacity of every mortal to understand and love every other mortal. Mutual understanding and fraternal love are transcendent civilizers and mighty factors in the world-wide realization of the brotherhood of man.” (52:6:7)
    Sabinatu
    Blocked

Spin spin spin….what was the topic?

Ah, yes – IDEOLOGY – and the “conflict”.

I am sure progress won’t happen at all if the MESSENGERS of “progress” are censored by the social fashion that states it is NEGATIVE to see reality.

I challenge you all to come up with ANYTHING in TUB to back your premise that experientially earned RULE OF LAW not being enforced is PROGRESS.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

“Reality” cannot be viewed through the lense of anger and temporal impatience.  Your politics ain’t mine.  Not hearing the love….any love at all.

146:3.6 (1642.2) “While you cannot observe the divine spirit at work in your minds, there is a practical method of discovering the degree to which you have yielded the control of your soul powers to the teaching and guidance of this indwelling spirit of the heavenly Father, and that is the degree of your love for your fellow men. This spirit of the Father partakes of the love of the Father, and as it dominates man, it unfailingly leads in the directions of divine worship and loving regard for one’s fellows. At first you believe that you are sons of God because my teaching has made you more conscious of the inner leadings of our Father’s indwelling presence; but presently the Spirit of Truth shall be poured out upon all flesh, and it will live among men and teach all men, even as I now live among you and speak to you the words of truth. And this Spirit of Truth, speaking for the spiritual endowments of your souls, will help you to know that you are the sons of God. It will unfailingly bear witness with the Father’s indwelling presence, your spirit, then dwelling in all men as it now dwells in some, telling you that you are in reality the sons of God.

“Revolution”

You say you want a revolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world
    You tell me that it’s evolution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change the world

But when you talk about destruction
    Don’t you know that you can count me out

Don’t you know it’s gonna be alright
    Alright, alright

You say you got a real solution
    Well, you know
    We’d all love to see the plan
    You ask me for a contribution
    Well, you know
    We’re all doing what we can

But if you want money for people with minds that hate
    All I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Don’t you know it’s gonna be alright
    Alright, alright, al…

You say you’ll change the constitution
    Well, you know
    We all want to change your head
    You tell me it’s the institution
    Well, you know
    You’d better free your mind instead

But if you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao
    You ain’t going to make it with anyone anyhow

Don’t you know know it’s gonna be alright
    Alright, alright

Alright, alright
    Alright, alright
    Alright, alright
    Alright, alright

;-)    Best wishes in your revolution.  Once you get your way with America, you’ll be 5% done!  The rest of the 95% to go!  Better hurry….

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  “Reality” cannot be viewed through the lense of anger and temporal impatience. Your politics ain’t mine. Not hearing the love….any love at all.
    I was thinking along the same lines as you.  You know farm life.  Me too.  Did ya ever have a horse who has the bit in its teeth n takes off at a run? Or a horse that chews the fence?  But then, horses are animals and are not encircuited in the 6th of 7th adjutant mind spirits.  No. They just have bad habits.
    Andy
    Andy
    Participant

You say you want a revolution Well, you know We all want to change the world

LOL. Hear, hear, Bradly.

The eternal God is our refuge.
    He is a faithful Creator.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Speaking of humor in the face of evil:

159:3.10 (1766.6) You shall not portray your teacher as a man of sorrows. Future generations shall know also the radiance of our joy, the buoyance of our good will, and the inspiration of our good humor. We proclaim a message of good news which is infectious in its transforming power. Our religion is throbbing with new life and new meanings. Those who accept this teaching are filled with joy and in their hearts are constrained to rejoice evermore. Increasing happiness is always the experience of all who are certain about God.

100:6.4 (1100.6) The self has surrendered to the intriguing drive of an all-encompassing motivation which imposes heightened self-discipline, lessens emotional conflict, and makes mortal life truly worth living. The morbid recognition of human limitations is changed to the natural consciousness of mortal shortcomings, associated with moral determination and spiritual aspiration to attain the highest universe and superuniverse goals. And this intense striving for the attainment of supermortal ideals is always characterized by increasing patience, forbearance, fortitude, and tolerance.

100:6.5 (1100.7) But true religion is a living love, a life of service. The religionist’s detachment from much that is purely temporal and trivial never leads to social isolation, and it should not destroy the sense of humor. Genuine religion takes nothing away from human existence, but it does add new meanings to all of life; it generates new types of enthusiasm, zeal, and courage. It may even engender the spirit of the crusader, which is more than dangerous if not controlled by spiritual insight and loyal devotion to the commonplace social obligations of human loyalties.

100:6.6 (1101.1) One of the most amazing earmarks of religious living is that dynamic and sublime peace, that peace which passes all human understanding, that cosmic poise which betokens the absence of all doubt and turmoil. Such levels of spiritual stability are immune to disappointment. Such religionists are like the Apostle Paul, who said: “I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else shall be able to separate us from the love of God.”

100:6.7 (1101.2) There is a sense of security, associated with the realization of triumphing glory, resident in the consciousness of the religionist who has grasped the reality of the Supreme, and who pursues the goal of the Ultimate.

48:4.15 (549.2) When we are tempted to magnify our self-importance, if we stop to contemplate the infinity of the greatness and grandeur of our Makers, our own self-glorification becomes sublimely ridiculous, even verging on the humorous. One of the functions of humor is to help all of us take ourselves less seriously. Humor is the divine antidote for exaltation of ego.

48:4.16 (549.3) The need for the relaxation and diversion of humor is greatest in those orders of ascendant beings who are subjected to sustained stress in their upward struggles. The two extremes of life have little need for humorous diversions. Primitive men have no capacity therefor, and beings of Paradise perfection have no need thereof. The hosts of Havona are naturally a joyous and exhilarating assemblage of supremely happy personalities. On Paradise the quality of worship obviates the necessity for reversion activities. But among those who start their careers far below the goal of Paradise perfection, there is a large place for the ministry of the reversion directors.

48:4.17 (549.4) The higher the mortal species, the greater the stress and the greater the capacity for humor as well as the necessity for it. In the spirit world the opposite is true: The higher we ascend, the less the need for the diversions of reversion experiences. But proceeding down the scale of spirit life from Paradise to the seraphic hosts, there is an increasing need for the mission of mirth and the ministry of merriment. Those beings who most need the refreshment of periodic reversion to the intellectual status of previous experiences are the higher types of the human species, the morontians, angels, and the Material Sons, together with all similar types of personality. *

48:4.18 (549.5) Humor should function as an automatic safety valve to prevent the building up of excessive pressures due to the monotony of sustained and serious self-contemplation in association with the intense struggle for developmental progress and noble achievement. Humor also functions to lessen the shock of the unexpected impact of fact or of truth, rigid unyielding fact and flexible ever-living truth. The mortal personality, never sure as to which will next be encountered, through humor swiftly grasps — sees the point and achieves insight — the unexpected nature of the situation be it fact or be it truth.

:-( :-)   :good:   ;-)

Sabinatu
    Blocked

So I wrote, “….I challenge you all to come up with ANYTHING in TUB to back your premise that experientially earned RULE OF LAW not being enforced is PROGRESS…”

And how did you two (Mara and Bradley) answer that challenge?

But anyone can read what you two have written on this board over the years and figure out your “politics”.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I doubt that….very much indeed.  I also doubt Mara and I share the same political perspective.  But then I don’t claim that my politics will save or propel the planet either and I allow tolerance for other’s politics and religious experience and personal priorities as well.  Also I’ve been working for years to globalize my thinking as a confident universe citizen with an improved time unit perspective which helps expand and alleviate the subjective and limited mortal view.  But that’s just me……………………

;-)

Sabinatu
    Blocked

@Bradley – maybe bone up on your reading comprehension skills before the conceit of globalized thinking takes hold over your portfolio. That and try to contain yourself from the constant knee-jerk reactions of a loyal sycophant to the “what is torture when greed is good” crowd of cool kids….

I asked about RULE OF LAW.

That’s all I care about at this point in time and your Nihilism towards the RULE OF LAW over you has been duly noted.

Mano et mano, you would never get in all the slaps you get in here in virtual lalaland…but you know that and that’s why “law” makes you bristle…

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

While your insults seem written clearly enough, your soap boxing rhetoric is quite obfuscated.  You might be surprised what I know about law and economics.  Unlike you though, I don’t waste much time on conspiracy theories to blame for the bitter fruits of corruption and error in this moment of evolutionary struggles.  But please use or abuse this stage as you will.  I am likely just being obtuse.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    Bradly wrote:  I also doubt Mara and I share the same political perspective.
    I doubt it too.  One’s political perspective can be debated elsewhere.  We do not have to see alike or feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike.  You have your political bent; I have mine.  In study group, we never discuss politics.  We are not assembled together to discuss political ideologies.  We meet to read and study the UB.  People have their own worldview, their own outlook on the world.  Go find like-minded people to axe-grind with Sab.  Go play the blame-game with them.  The blame-game-bait you dangle here does not seem to be catching even a minnow.
    Moderator-2

I would like to remind participants to this discussion that the topic “Political Ideology” is a potentially divisive one which can easily arouse strong feelings which in turn may then manifest as personal attacks on the character of other participants. By all means disagree with the views of others but please desist from making personal judgements about the motives and character of the person you may disagree with. Please endeavour to maintain a friendly and conciliatory attitude to your fellow participants, even to those whose opinions you find objectionable.

Please give serious consideration to these words from the book that we have come together to discuss and study on this forum.

Another requirement for the attainment of maturity is the co-operative adjustment of social groups to an ever-changing environment. The immature individual arouses the antagonisms of his fellows; the mature man wins the hearty co-operation of his associates, thereby many times multiplying the fruits of his life efforts.

My philosophy tells me that there are times when I must fight, if need be, for the defense of my concept of righteousness, but I doubt not that the Master, with a more mature type of personality, would easily and gracefully gain an equal victory by his superior and winsome technique of tact and tolerance. All too often, when we battle for the right, it turns out that both the victor and the vanquished have sustained defeat. I heard the Master say only yesterday that the “wise man, when seeking entrance through the locked door, would not destroy the door but rather would seek for the key wherewith to unlock it.” Too often we engage in a fight merely to convince ourselves that we are not afraid. P.1778:1,2

With love!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 46 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.