PAPER 180 – THE FAREWELL DISCOURSE

Home Forums Online Urantia Book Study Groups One Page a Day Study Group (OPAD) PAPER 180 – THE FAREWELL DISCOURSE

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Welcome to The OPAD Online Study Session

Today’s Presentation

Paper 180 – THE FAREWELL DISCOURSE

[INTRODUCTION]

AFTER singing the Psalm at the conclusion of the Last Supper, the apostles thought that Jesus intended to return immediately to the camp, but he indicated that they should sit down. Said the Master:

(1944.2) 180:0.2 “You well remember when I sent you forth without purse or wallet and even advised that you take with you no extra clothes. And you will all recall that you lacked nothing. But now have you come upon troublous times. No longer can you depend upon the good will of the multitudes. Henceforth, he who has a purse, let him take it with him. When you go out into the world to proclaim this gospel, make such provision for your support as seems best. I have come to bring peace, but it will not appear for a time.

(1944.3) 180:0.3 “The time has now come for the Son of Man to be glorified, and the Father shall be glorified in me. My friends, I am to be with you only a little longer. Soon you will seek for me, but you will not find me, for I am going to a place to which you cannot, at this time, come. But when you have finished your work on earth as I have now finished mine, you shall then come to me even as I now prepare to go to my Father. In just a short time I am going to leave you, you will see me no more on earth, but you shall all see me in the age to come when you ascend to the kingdom which my Father has given to me.”

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors!

WELCOME to the OPAD presentation of Paper 180. It has six Sections and twelve pages. Jesus has less than a day to live and breathe as a man. He spends these few last hours of freedom on this Thursday evening of April 6, AD 30, with his loyal apostles, offering final instructions, admonitions, and heart felt good-byes–until he returns to life as a morontia being on Sunday morning April 9.

Overview of Paper 180 – The Farewell Discourse

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Paper 180 Synopsis:

When the Psalm ended, Jesus told the apostles, “When I enacted for you a parable indicating how you should be willing to serve one another, I said that I desired to give you a new commandment; and I would do this now as I am about to leave you. You well know the commandment which directs that you love one another; that you love your neighbor even as yourself. But I am not wholly satisfied with even that sincere devotion on the part of my children. I would have you perform still greater acts of love in the kingdom of the believing brotherhood. And so I give you this new commandment: That you love one another even as I have loved you. And by this will all men know that you are my disciples if you thus love one another.”

“I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, and you are the branches. Herein is the Father glorified: that the vine has many living branches, and that every branch bears much fruit.” Jesus told his men that if they would live within him, his spirit would so infuse them that they “may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition.”

This particular teaching has been much misinterpreted through the centuries. Some people believe mistakenly that invoking Jesus’ name is a magic formula for getting what they want from God. Prayer is not a way to get God to bow to the will of mortals, but a way for humans to learn God’s will. Once a person is truly aligned with Jesus they can be certain that all of their desires will be compatible with God’s will.

The Master continued his advice, telling the apostles not to be discouraged when faint-hearted believers turned against them. He advised them to remember how he also suffered for the sake of the gospel. He promised that he would not leave them alone in the world, and that when he was gone his spirit would come to help them. Jesus said that he was going to the Father, and that they could not follow yet.

Thomas said, “Master, we do not know where you are going, so of course we do not know the way, But we will follow you this very night if you will show us the way.” And Jesus answered, “Thomas, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man goes to the Father except through me. If you know me, you know the way to the Father.” Philip said, “Master, show us the Father, and everything you have said will be made plain.” Jesus replied, “Philip, have I been so long with you and yet you do not even now know me? Again do I declare: He who has seen me has seen the Father.”

Jesus spoke more about the Spirit of Truth. “I have loved the Father and have kept his word; you have loved me, and you will keep my word. As my Father as given me of his spirit, so will I give you of my spirit. And this Spirit of Truth which I will bestow upon you shall guide and comfort you and shall eventually lead you into all truth.” Jesus told them that they would be indwelt by the Father and the Son, and that those gifts of heaven would work together to help them remember all that Jesus had taught.

“This new teacher is the Spirit of Truth who will live with each one of you, in your hearts, and so will all the children of light be made one and be drawn toward one another. And in this very manner will my Father and I be able to live in the souls of each one of you and also in the hearts of all other men who love us and make that love real in their experiences by loving one another, even as I am now loving you.”

The Spirit of Truth leads the human mind to spiritual meanings. It is the spirit of living, growing, expanding, adaptive truth. Truth cannot be imprisoned in formulas or creeds, but it can be known and lived. Static truth is dead; living truth is dynamic. The Spirit of Truth helps humans interpret their experiences in a spiritual way.

The Spirit helps God-knowing people apply the golden rule in such a way that others receive the highest possible good from such contact. The golden rule cannot be properly understood as dogma, it can only be understood by living. No amount of piety can compensate for an absence of sincere and generous friendliness, any more than formal worship can atone for a lack of genuine compassion for others.

Jesus warned his apostles that the authorities might turn strongly against them. He reminded them again that his spirit would be with them throughout their sufferings, even though he would be leaving them. “And so are you about to sorrow over my departure, but I will soon see you again, and then will your sorrow be turned into rejoicing, and there shall come to you a new revelation of the salvation of God which no man can ever take away from you.” Even after this frank discussion the apostles could not comprehend that Jesus was leaving.

Synopsis Source

In the introduction to this Paper, Jesus changes the rules of engagement, he foresees not the receptive audiences of the past, rather does he know harsh persecution is coming. So he now advises that they take money, bring clothes, and make wise provisions for their road trips. Some of this advice found its way into the Biblical record. This fragment is in Luke 22:

35 And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing.

36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

From the Gospel of John, chapter 13:

31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him.

32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.

36 …Whither I go, thou canst not follow me now; but thou shalt follow me afterwards.

From John 17:

1 …Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also may glorify thee:

I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do.

Also in the introduction, Jesus once more refers to his horrendous death on Friday as a glorification of God. This ordeal will be unbelievably cruel, wholly unnecessary and extremely unfair, but it be over in less than a day.

“…In just a short time I am going to leave you, you will see me no more on earth….” (1944.3)180:0.3

Jesus’ remark that peace will be delayed, in today’s reading:

“…I have come to bring peace, but it will not appear for a time….(1944.2)180:0.2

…became something militaristic in scripture. From Luke 12:

51 Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division…

From Matthew 10:

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

tissot-the-last-supper-738x528.jpg

“…I will not eat it again until it finds fulfillment in the kingdom of God.”
    Luke 22:16

IMAGE SOURCE

Tomorrow’s reading is Section 1. The New Commandment. The Master desires to see love ascend to new levels among his children of Urantia. But not as another burden for humanity, rather as a new source of spirit joy.

Listen to Paper 180: (click the speaker icon at the top of the page)

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Much love, Rick/OPAD host.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

1. The New Commandment

After a few moments of informal conversation, Jesus stood up and said: “When I enacted for you a parable indicating how you should be willing to serve one another, I said that I desired to give you a new commandment; and I would do this now as I am about to leave you. You well know the commandment which directs that you love one another; that you love your neighbor even as yourself. But I am not wholly satisfied with even that sincere devotion on the part of my children. I would have you perform still greater acts of love in the kingdom of the believing brotherhood. And so I give you this new commandment: That you love one another even as I have loved you. And by this will all men know that you are my disciples if you thus love one another.

(1944.5)180:1.2“When I give you this new commandment, I do not place any new burden upon your souls; rather do I bring you new joy and make it possible for you to experience new pleasure in knowing the delights of the bestowal of your heart’s affection upon your fellow men. I am about to experience the supreme joy, even though enduring outward sorrow, in the bestowal of my affection upon you and your fellow mortals.

(1944.6)180:1.3“When I invite you to love one another, even as I have loved you, I hold up before you the supreme measure of true affection, for greater love can no man have than this: that he will lay down his life for his friends. And you are my friends; you will continue to be my friends if you are but willing to do what I have taught you. You have called me Master, but I do not call you servants. If you will only love one another as I am loving you, you shall be my friends, and I will ever speak to you of that which the Father reveals to me.

(1945.1)180:1.4“You have not merely chosen me, but I have also chosen you, and I have ordained you to go forth into the world to yield the fruit of loving service to your fellows even as I have lived among you and revealed the Father to you. The Father and I will both work with you, and you shall experience the divine fullness of joy if you will only obey my command to love one another, even as I have loved you.”

(1945.2)180:1.5 If you would share the Master’s joy, you must share his love. And to share his love means that you have shared his service. Such an experience of love does not deliver you from the difficulties of this world; it does not create a new world, but it most certainly does make the old world new.

(1945.3)180:1.6 Keep in mind: It is loyalty, not sacrifice, that Jesus demands. The consciousness of sacrifice implies the absence of that wholehearted affection which would have made such a loving service a supreme joy. The idea of duty signifies that you are servant-minded and hence are missing the mighty thrill of doing your service as a friend and for a friend. The impulse of friendship transcends all convictions of duty, and the service of a friend for a friend can never be called a sacrifice. The Master has taught the apostles that they are the sons of God. He has called them brethren, and now, before he leaves, he calls them his friends.

[Each OPAD presentation is copied from The Urantia Book published by Urantia Foundation. Questions and comments related to the Paper under discussion are welcome and encouraged. In-depth questions and related topics may be studied in branch threads in the OPAD, or other subforums, as you require. Thank you for studying with us.]

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day Brad, Bonita, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

It’s interesting and instructive to compare this new commandment given in today’s reading, with this other injunction to bestow “fatherly love”, in Paper 140:5

“…Greater love has no man than to lay down his life for his friends.” And a fatherly love can freely do all these things — things which brotherly love can hardly encompass…. 140:5:21

…From the Sermon on the Mount to the discourse of the Last Supper, Jesus taught his followers to manifest fatherly love rather than brotherly love. Brotherly love would love your neighbor as you love yourself, and that would be adequate fulfillment of the “golden rule.” But fatherly affection would require that you should love your fellow mortals as Jesus loves you…. 140:5:1

…As the Son of God he loves man with a fatherly love — he is man’s Creator, his universe Father. As the Son of Man, Jesus loves mortals as a brother — he was truly a man among men…. 140:5:2

…In the course of these exhortations to the twelve apostles, Jesus sought to reveal this new concept of fatherly love as it is related to certain emotional attitudes concerned in making numerous environmental social adjustments…. 140:5:3

…The Master introduced this momentous discourse by calling attention to four faith attitudes as the prelude to the subsequent portrayal of his four transcendent and supreme reactions of fatherly love in contrast to the limitations of mere brotherly love…. 140:5:4

…A father’s affection can attain levels of devotion that immeasurably transcend a brother’s affection…. 140:5:5

…Fatherly love has singleness of purpose, and it always looks for the best in man; that is the attitude of a true parent…. 140:5:12

…He rather admonished his apostles to love men as he had loved them — to love with a fatherly as well as a brotherly affection…. 140:5:15

…Fatherly love delights in returning good for evil — doing good in retaliation for injustice…. 140:5:24

Little if any difference, is there?!

It is also interesting, inexplicably fascinating even, Jesus’ attitude about the looming ordeal of torture and death, now just hours away:

“…I am about to experience the supreme joy, even though enduring outward sorrow, in the bestowal of my affection upon you and your fellow mortals….” (1944.5)180:1.2

All Nebadon must be watching and listening now, as this God man gives these final words about paternal affection to his friends, his children, even to us.

The only Biblical record related to today’s reading is in the Gospel of John:

From chapter 15:

12 This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.

13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.

15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

17 These things I command you, that ye love one another.

Love+One+Another+copy.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE

The Midwayers end today’s reading with a few words of wisdom on the experiential difference between service motivated by duty and service born of friendship, beginning with this statement that should arrest the attention and provide valuable instruction to us all:

…It is loyalty, not sacrifice, that Jesus demands…. (1945.3)180:1.6

That we can consider ourselves both children of, and friends with, Jesus and the Universal Father may be the best news humanity has heard. Ever.

Tomorrow’s reading is Section 2. The Vine and the Branches. Jesus discourses more on friendship and fatherly love. He also repeats once more the metaphor of bearing spirit fruit as a result of showing each other this divine affection.

This group of papers [121-196] was sponsored by a commission of twelve Urantia midwayers acting under the supervision of a Melchizedek revelatory director. The basis of this narrative was supplied by a secondary midwayer who was onetime assigned to the superhuman watchcare of the Apostle Andrew.

Thanks for reading. Members’ thoughts, reflections, insights, observations, comments, corrections and questions about today’s OPAD presentation are invited.

Richard E Warren

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Here’s a companion quote:

Jesus portrayed conquest by sacrifice, the sacrifice of pride and selfishness. (1590.3)141:3.8

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Here’s a companion quote:

Jesus portrayed conquest by sacrifice, the sacrifice of pride and selfishness. (1590.3)141:3.8

Very good, excellent companion, Bonita. Here are a couple more verbatim quotes, and one paraphrasing Jesus:

“…If you love me, prepare to prove this affection by your willingness to make the supreme sacrifice….” 1750.2) 157:6.8

“…These graces, with living faith, shall sustain you when the hour comes to drink the cup of sacrifice. But never be dismayed; when you are through on earth, you shall also come to be with me….” (2048.4) 192:2.8

…Children always respond to the challenge of courage. Youth is ever willing to “take a dare.” And every child should early learn to sacrifice…. (1575.7) 140:5.22

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

2. The Vine and the Branches

Then Jesus stood up again and continued teaching his apostles: “I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. I am the vine, and you are the branches. And the Father requires of me only that you shall bear much fruit. The vine is pruned only to increase the fruitfulness of its branches. Every branch coming out of me which bears no fruit, the Father will take away. Every branch which bears fruit, the Father will cleanse that it may bear more fruit. Already are you clean through the word I have spoken, but you must continue to be clean. You must abide in me, and I in you; the branch will die if it is separated from the vine. As the branch cannot bear fruit except it abides in the vine, so neither can you yield the fruits of loving service except you abide in me. Remember: I am the real vine, and you are the living branches. He who lives in me, and I in him, will bear much fruit of the spirit and experience the supreme joy of yielding this spiritual harvest. If you will maintain this living spiritual connection with me, you will bear abundant fruit. If you abide in me and my words live in you, you will be able to commune freely with me, and then can my living spirit so infuse you that you may ask whatsoever my spirit wills and do all this with the assurance that the Father will grant us our petition. Herein is the Father glorified: that the vine has many living branches, and that every branch bears much fruit. And when the world sees these fruit-bearing branches — my friends who love one another, even as I have loved them — all men will know that you are truly my disciples.

(1945.5)180:2.2“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Live in my love even as I live in the Father’s love. If you do as I have taught you, you shall abide in my love even as I have kept the Father’s word and evermore abide in his love.”

(1946.1)180:2.3 The Jews had long taught that the Messiah would be “a stem arising out of the vine” of David’s ancestors, and in commemoration of this olden teaching a large emblem of the grape and its attached vine decorated the entrance to Herod’s temple. The apostles all recalled these things while the Master talked to them this night in the upper chamber.

(1946.2)180:2.4 But great sorrow later attended the misinterpretation of the Master’s inferences regarding prayer. There would have been little difficulty about these teachings if his exact words had been remembered and subsequently truthfully recorded. But as the record was made, believers eventually regarded prayer in Jesus’ name as a sort of supreme magic, thinking that they would receive from the Father anything they asked for. For centuries honest souls have continued to wreck their faith against this stumbling block. How long will it take the world of believers to understand that prayer is not a process of getting your way but rather a program of taking God’s way, an experience of learning how to recognize and execute the Father’s will? It is entirely true that, when your will has been truly aligned with his, you can ask anything conceived by that will-union, and it will be granted. And such a will-union is effected by and through Jesus even as the life of the vine flows into and through the living branches.

(1946.3)180:2.5 When there exists this living connection between divinity and humanity, if humanity should thoughtlessly and ignorantly pray for selfish ease and vainglorious accomplishments, there could be only one divine answer: more and increased bearing of the fruits of the spirit on the stems of the living branches. When the branch of the vine is alive, there can be only one answer to all its petitions: increased grape bearing. In fact, the branch exists only for, and can do nothing except, fruit bearing, yielding grapes. So does the true believer exist only for the purpose of bearing the fruits of the spirit: to love man as he himself has been loved by God — that we should love one another, even as Jesus has loved us.

(1946.4)180:2.6 And when the Father’s hand of discipline is laid upon the vine, it is done in love, in order that the branches may bear much fruit. And a wise husbandman cuts away only the dead and fruitless branches.

(1946.5)180:2.7 Jesus had great difficulty in leading even his apostles to recognize that prayer is a function of spirit-born believers in the spirit-dominated kingdom.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Bonita, Brad, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

This line might set atheists thinking:

“…the branch will die if it is separated from the vine….” (1945.4)180:2.1

Can the leaf exist without the root?

Compare today’s reading with what was recorded by John Zebedee. From his Gospel, chapter 15:

1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples.

As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father’s commandments, and abide in his love.

11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

From today’s reading:

…There would have been little difficulty about these teachings if his exact words had been remembered and subsequently truthfully recorded…. (1946.2)180:2.4

The Midwayers must be referring to this, in John 14:

13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.

14 If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it.

There is this also, in John 15:

If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

And this from the same chapter:

16 …ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

…For centuries honest souls have continued to wreck their faith against this stumbling block…. (1946.2)180:2.4

Such are the devastating flaws in religious belief on benighted Urantia!

tumblr_lpttw8vFa41qkynm4.jpg

Icon of Christ as the true Vine

IMAGE SOURCE

Christ_the_True_Vine_icon_%28Athens%2C_1

Christ the True Vine, 16th century Greek icon

IMAGE SOURCE

Tomorrow’s reading is Section 3. Enmity of the World. Jesus knows trouble is ahead for his apostles, and he will not be there in person to aid and comfort them. So he forewarns them and reveals the ‘worlds of light’ to which we will all someday ascend.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

3. Enmity of the World

The eleven had scarcely ceased their discussions of the discourse on the vine and the branches when the Master, indicating that he was desirous of speaking to them further and knowing that his time was short, said: “When I have left you, be not discouraged by the enmity of the world. Be not downcast even when fainthearted believers turn against you and join hands with the enemies of the kingdom. If the world shall hate you, you should recall that it hated me even before it hated you. If you were of this world, then would the world love its own, but because you are not, the world refuses to love you. You are in this world, but your lives are not to be worldlike. I have chosen you out of the world to represent the spirit of another world even to this world from which you have been chosen. But always remember the words I have spoken to you: The servant is not greater than his master. If they dare to persecute me, they will also persecute you. If my words offend the unbelievers, so also will your words offend the ungodly. And all of this will they do to you because they believe not in me nor in Him who sent me; so will you suffer many things for the sake of my gospel. But when you endure these tribulations, you should recall that I also suffered before you for the sake of this gospel of the heavenly kingdom.*

(1947.1)180:3.2“Many of those who will assail you are ignorant of the light of heaven, but this is not true of some who now persecute us. If we had not taught them the truth, they might do many strange things without falling under condemnation, but now, since they have known the light and presumed to reject it, they have no excuse for their attitude. He who hates me hates my Father. It cannot be otherwise; the light which would save you if accepted can only condemn you if it is knowingly rejected. And what have I done to these men that they should hate me with such a terrible hatred? Nothing, save to offer them fellowship on earth and salvation in heaven. But have you not read in the Scripture the saying: ‘And they hated me without a cause’?

(1947.2)180:3.3“But I will not leave you alone in the world. Very soon, after I have gone, I will send you a spirit helper. You shall have with you one who will take my place among you, one who will continue to teach you the way of truth, who will even comfort you.

(1947.3)180:3.4“Let not your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; continue to believe also in me. Even though I must leave you, I will not be far from you. I have already told you that in my Father’s universe there are many tarrying-places. If this were not true, I would not have repeatedly told you about them. I am going to return to these worlds of light, stations in the Father’s heaven to which you shall sometime ascend. From these places I came into this world, and the hour is now at hand when I must return to my Father’s work in the spheres on high.*

(1947.4)180:3.5“If I thus go before you into the Father’s heavenly kingdom, so will I surely send for you that you may be with me in the places that were prepared for the mortal sons of God before this world was. Even though I must leave you, I will be present with you in spirit, and eventually you shall be with me in person when you have ascended to me in my universe even as I am about to ascend to my Father in his greater universe. And what I have told you is true and everlasting, even though you may not fully comprehend it. I go to the Father, and though you cannot now follow me, you shall certainly follow me in the ages to come.”

(1947.5)180:3.6 When Jesus sat down, Thomas arose and said: “Master, we do not know where you are going; so of course we do not know the way. But we will follow you this very night if you will show us the way.”

(1947.6)180:3.7 When Jesus heard Thomas, he answered: “Thomas, I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man goes to the Father except through me. All who find the Father, first find me. If you know me, you know the way to the Father. And you do know me, for you have lived with me and you now see me.”

(1947.7)180:3.8 But this teaching was too deep for many of the apostles, especially for Philip, who, after speaking a few words with Nathaniel, arose and said: “Master, show us the Father, and everything you have said will be made plain.”

(1947.8)180:3.9 And when Philip had spoken, Jesus said: “Philip, have I been so long with you and yet you do not even now know me? Again do I declare: He who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you then say, Show us the Father? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father in me? Have I not taught you that the words which I speak are not my words but the words of the Father? I speak for the Father and not of myself. I am in this world to do the Father’s will, and that I have done. My Father abides in me and works through me. Believe me when I say that the Father is in me, and that I am in the Father, or else believe me for the sake of the very life I have lived — for the work’s sake.”

(1948.1)180:3.10 As the Master went aside to refresh himself with water, the eleven engaged in a spirited discussion of these teachings, and Peter was beginning to deliver himself of an extended speech when Jesus returned and beckoned them to be seated.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Good Day Bonita, Brad, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Guests,

These words of warning from Jesus are justified in less than 24 hours when the jeering crowds turn on him:

“…Be not downcast even when fainthearted believers turn against you and join hands with the enemies of the kingdom….” (1946;6)180:3.1

The Gospel of John recorded some of today’s reading. From chapter 15:

18 If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

19 If ye were of the world, the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you.

20 Remember the word that I said unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord. If they have persecuted me, they will also persecute you; if they have kept my saying, they will keep yours also.

21 But all these things will they do unto you for my name’s sake, because they know not him that sent me.

22 If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.

23 He that hateth me hateth my Father also.

24 If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

25 But this cometh to pass, that the word might be fulfilled that is written in their law, They hated me without a cause.

26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

27 And ye also shall bear witness, because ye have been with me from the beginning.

Suffering seems to be an inevitable part of living and spreading the Gospel on this mad planet, then and now. And the ones least guilty seem to suffer the most. The resistance to truth can easily become hatred when it threatens any phase of the status quo.

“…But have you not read in the Scripture the saying: ‘And they hated me without a cause’? (1947.1)180:3.2

That scripture most likely came from either Psalms 35:

19 Let not them that are mine enemies wrongfully rejoice over me: neither let them wink with the eye that hate me without a cause.

…or Psalms 69:

They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine head…

Here, of course, Jesus is referring to the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth:

“…But I will not leave you alone in the world. Very soon, after I have gone, I will send you a spirit helper….(1947.2)180:3.3

The SoT will arrive 40 days after his death, on Pentecost. It will be “poured out on all flesh”, not just the apostles.

“…I have already told you that in my Father’s universe there are many tarrying-places. If this were not true, I would not have repeatedly told you about them. I am going to return to these worlds of light, stations in the Father’s heaven to which you shall sometime ascend….” (1947.3)180:3.4

John recalled and recorded Jesus’ statement about the mansion worlds in chapter 14:

1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.

In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.

John also recalled Thomas’ and Philip’s questions about knowing the way in that same chapter:

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?

Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.

Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?

10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.

11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works’ sake.

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 4. The Promised Helper, Jesus offers more information about the spirit entity that will replace him when he is gone, that this promised Spirit of Truth will be available to the hearts and minds of all who desire the Master’s presence, of every generation.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Today’s Presentation

4. The Promised Helper

Jesus continued to teach, saying: “When I have gone to the Father, and after he has fully accepted the work I have done for you on earth, and after I have received the final sovereignty of my own domain, I shall say to my Father: Having left my children alone on earth, it is in accordance with my promise to send them another teacher. And when the Father shall approve, I will pour out the Spirit of Truth upon all flesh. Already is my Father’s spirit in your hearts, and when this day shall come, you will also have me with you even as you now have the Father. This new gift is the spirit of living truth. The unbelievers will not at first listen to the teachings of this spirit, but the sons of light will all receive him gladly and with a whole heart. And you shall know this spirit when he comes even as you have known me, and you will receive this gift in your hearts, and he will abide with you. You thus perceive that I am not going to leave you without help and guidance. I will not leave you desolate. Today I can be with you only in person. In the times to come I will be with you and all other men who desire my presence, wherever you may be, and with each of you at the same time. Do you not discern that it is better for me to go away; that I leave you in the flesh so that I may the better and the more fully be with you in the spirit?

(1948.3)180:4.2“In just a few hours the world will see me no more; but you will continue to know me in your hearts even until I send you this new teacher, the Spirit of Truth. As I have lived with you in person, then shall I live in you; I shall be one with your personal experience in the spirit kingdom. And when this has come to pass, you shall surely know that I am in the Father, and that, while your life is hid with the Father in me, I am also in you. I have loved the Father and have kept his word; you have loved me, and you will keep my word. As my Father has given me of his spirit, so will I give you of my spirit. And this Spirit of Truth which I will bestow upon you shall guide and comfort you and shall eventually lead you into all truth.

(1948.4)180:4.3“I am telling you these things while I am still with you that you may be the better prepared to endure those trials which are even now right upon us. And when this new day comes, you will be indwelt by the Son as well as by the Father. And these gifts of heaven will ever work the one with the other even as the Father and I have wrought on earth and before your very eyes as one person, the Son of Man. And this spirit friend will bring to your remembrance everything I have taught you.”

(1948.5)180:4.4 As the Master paused for a moment, Judas Alpheus made bold to ask one of the few questions which either he or his brother ever addressed to Jesus in public. Said Judas: “Master, you have always lived among us as a friend; how shall we know you when you no longer manifest yourself to us save by this spirit? If the world sees you not, how shall we be certain about you? How will you show yourself to us?”

(1949.1)180:4.5 Jesus looked down upon them all, smiled, and said: “My little children, I am going away, going back to my Father. In a little while you will not see me as you do here, as flesh and blood. In a very short time I am going to send you my spirit, just like me except for this material body. This new teacher is the Spirit of Truth who will live with each one of you, in your hearts, and so will all the children of light be made one and be drawn toward one another. And in this very manner will my Father and I be able to live in the souls of each one of you and also in the hearts of all other men who love us and make that love real in their experiences by loving one another, even as I am now loving you.”

(1949.2)180:4.6 Judas Alpheus did not fully understand what the Master said, but he grasped the promise of the new teacher, and from the expression on Andrew’s face, he perceived that his question had been satisfactorily answered.

Richard E Warren

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Greetings Bonita, Brad, Alina, Carolyn, Carola, Fellow Students, Forum Friends, Members and Visitors,

Jesus must be referring to the Thought Adjuster here:

“…Already is my Father’s spirit in your hearts, and when this day shall come, you will also have me with you even as you now have the Father….” (1948.2)180:4.1

We have had access to the Spirit of Truth all our lives, so we might not be able to know it as an entity apart from the Adjuster. If it were to come to us like it did the apostles, we too might feel it like they did on the 40th day after his resurrection. From the introduction to Paper 194:

…ABOUT one o’clock, as the one hundred and twenty believers were engaged in prayer, they all became aware of a strange presence in the room. At the same time these disciples all became conscious of a new and profound sense of spiritual joy, security, and confidence. This new consciousness of spiritual strength was immediately followed by a strong urge to go out and publicly proclaim the gospel of the kingdom and the good news that Jesus had risen from the dead.

Peter stood up and declared that this must be the coming of the Spirit of Truth which the Master had promised them and proposed that they go to the temple and begin the proclamation of the good news committed to their hands. And they did just what Peter suggested…. (2059.1)194:0.1

This (in today’s reading) is sweet comfort, isn’t it?!

“…And this Spirit of Truth which I will bestow upon you shall guide and comfort you and shall eventually lead you into all truth….” (1948.3)180:4.2

He is with and in us, thank God.

More than once we are informed that the SoT is involved in creating intimacy between believers. From today’s reading:

“…This new teacher is the Spirit of Truth who will live with each one of you, in your hearts, and so will all the children of light be made one and be drawn toward one another….” (1949.1)180:4.5

From tomorrow’s OPAD reading:

…the Spirit of Truth, who directs the loving contact of one human being with another…. (1950:6) 180:5.11

Once again the Gospel of John appears to be the only Gospel that records the Master’s teachings given after the Last Supper. From chapter 14:

16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

19 Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.

20 At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.

21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

22 Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?

23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

24 He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father’s which sent me.

25 These things have I spoken unto you, being yet present with you.

26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

Spirit-of-Truth.jpg

IMAGE SOURCE

In tomorrow’s reading, Section 5. The Spirit of Truth, the Midwayers expound on the meaning, value and purpose of the bestowal of the Spirit of Truth, especially as it relates to applying the Golden Rule and expressing compassion.

Richard E Warren

nelsong
    Participant

memory refresher needed:

This same spirit of truth also was bestowed throughout all of Nebadon from the least to the most advanced worlds???

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

memory refresher needed: This same spirit of truth also was bestowed throughout all of Nebadon from the least to the most advanced worlds???

Apparently. There’s this in 139:

…The twins were good-natured, simple-minded helpers, and everybody loved them. Jesus welcomed these young men of one talent to positions of honor on his personal staff in the kingdom because there are untold millions of other such simple and fear-ridden souls on the worlds of space whom he likewise wishes to welcome into active and believing fellowship with himself and his outpoured Spirit of Truth…. (1564.2)139:9.8

Bet there are others nelsong, that I’m not finding.

Richard E Warren

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

memory refresher needed: This same spirit of truth also was bestowed throughout all of Nebadon from the least to the most advanced worlds???

Me here:  I don’t think so, no.  I think the Son’s Spirit is bestowed world by world as a function of a Teacher or Magesterial mission and not by the Creator Son’s final, personal bestowal mission universally.  I’ll look for the quote.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.