Morontia bodies and "accidents of a mechanical nature"

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Morontia bodies and "accidents of a mechanical nature"

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Keryn
    Participant

I am sure I am not the only one who has experienced a moment while reading a passage of the TUB that one has read several times before, and this time, something suddenly jumps out at them that they don’t recall noticing before.  So I just had that experience while reading paper 50 and, while this topic is probably overly specific and of relatively little consequence in the big scheme of things, it piqued my curiosity and I wonder how others react to the bolded statement, below:

50:3.1 (574.3) On going to a young world, a Planetary Prince usually takes with him a group of volunteer ascending beings from the local system headquarters. These ascenders accompany the prince as advisers and helpers in the work of early race improvement. This corps of material helpers constitutes the connecting link between the prince and the world races. The Urantia Prince, Caligastia, had a corps of one hundred such helpers.

50:3.2 (574.4) Such volunteer assistants are citizens of a system capital, and none of them have fused with their indwelling Adjusters. The status of the Adjusters of such volunteer servers remains as of the residential standing on the system headquarters while these morontia progressors temporarily revert to a former material state.

50:3.3 (574.5) The Life Carriers, the architects of form, provide such volunteers with new physical bodies, which they occupy for the periods of their planetary sojourn. These personality forms, while exempt from the ordinary diseases of the realms, are, like the early morontia bodies, subject to certain accidents of a mechanical nature.

It kinda freaks me out that, even after arriving on the Mansion worlds, our morontia bodies could experience the unlikely event of a physical incident (I am thinking of something like a heart attack? or aneursym?  type of ‘mechanical accident’).  I realize it is purely speculation, but I am so curious what happens next in those situations?

To see if others had picked up on this, I checked the OPAD and note that Rick noted this phrase, but there were no other comments.  Perhaps some are willing to comment on it in this thread?

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

I think the “mechanical” aspect is not bodily malfunctions like disease, etc. but is, rather, the fact that one still experiences gravity and the physics of momentum, mass, etc.  I might fly on a fandor…but I might fall off too!!  I might tumble off a cliff taking an unwise selfie!!

I would presume and submit that such mechanical injuries are rare and never “mortal” or resulting in any kind of “death” or permanent disabilities.  But it does suggest that there may be ambulances and doctors of some sort?  Celestial “healers”!!

I look forward to the thoughts of others…..  = )

Keryn
    Participant

Bradly,

Your response prompts yet further thoughts and questions.  If one’s morontia form can be damaged by falling (I love your selfie example!  That got a laugh!), does that mean that we may experience fear while in the mansion worlds?  I had thought we would not.  (One of my silly, but cherished day dreams is doing some activity with the reversion directors – perhaps whitewater rafting!  as there are rivers there, if I recall correctly – and not worry about getting hurt.)

To my mind, the word ‘mechanical’ makes me think of circuitry and impulses and synaps.  I know it specifically says not ‘disease’, but it is possible to suffer a heart attack without having heart disease, or an aneurysm without having a chronic condition, as examples.  But who knows?  Fascinating to wonder about, though!

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Pure speculation on my part….but no, I don’t think we experience fear for there truly is nothing TO fear.  We will learn to embrace uncertainty and not fear the future…don’t know how long that might take but certainly the animal based fears of “fight or flight” will not be part of our biology or circuitry there!

There are no quakes, twisters, falling rocks, avalanches, great white sharks, etc.  It really is okay to go in the water…hahaha!  Transportation and all other mechanisms are not subject to poor design, materials, construction, etc.   All is orderly, well designed and constructed.  Still, there is not yet an escape from the reality of physics.  I imagine though that all such accidents due to physics are far fewer….and not deadly.  When I see the word “mechanics”, it is not our bodies which come to mind….the mansion worlds are very mechanical or subject to primary physics…gotta watch that mass + momentum thing, even on the mansion worlds!

Gene
    Participant

I wonder if the radiation that hurts us is something morontia bodies avoid? How about supernovas or black holes or neutron stars or magnetrons ???

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Nothing to worry about.  The architectural spheres are completely managed for maximum comfort as well as safety:

46:1.4 (519.5) The lighting system of Jerusem should not be so difficult for you to comprehend. There are no days and nights, no seasons of heat and cold. The power transformers maintain one hundred thousand centers from which rarefied energies are projected upward through the planetary atmosphere, undergoing certain changes, until they reach the electric air-ceiling of the sphere; and then these energies are reflected back and down as a gentle, sifting, and even light of about the intensity of Urantia sunlight when the sun is shining overhead at ten o’clock in the morning.

46:1.5 (520.1) Under such conditions of lighting, the light rays do not seem to come from one place; they just sift out of the sky, emanating equally from all space directions. This light is very similar to natural sunlight except that it contains very much less heat. Thus it will be recognized that such headquarters worlds are not luminous in space; if Jerusem were very near Urantia, it would not be visible.

46:1.6 (520.2) The gases which reflect this light-energy from the Jerusem upper ionosphere back to the ground are very similar to those in the Urantia upper air belts which are concerned with the auroral phenomena of your so-called northern lights, although these are produced by different causes. On Urantia it is this same gas shield which prevents the escape of the terrestrial broadcast waves, reflecting them earthward when they strike this gas belt in their direct outward flight. In this way broadcasts are held near the surface as they journey through the air around your world.

46:1.7 (520.3) This lighting of the sphere is uniformly maintained for seventy-five per cent of the Jerusem day, and then there is a gradual recession until, at the time of minimum illumination, the light is about that of your full moon on a clear night. This is the quiet hour for all Jerusem. Only the broadcast-receiving stations are in operation during this period of rest and rehabilitation.

46:1.8 (520.4) Jerusem receives faint light from several near-by suns — a sort of brilliant starlight — but it is not dependent on them; worlds like Jerusem are not subject to the vicissitudes of sun disturbances, neither are they confronted with the problem of a cooling or dying sun. *

46:1.9 (520.5) The seven transitional study worlds and their forty-nine satellites are heated, lighted, energized, and watered by the Jerusem technique.

= )

aynthm66
    Participant

Imagine your soul self housed in an indestructible body whose mechanical parts might occasionally fail.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.