Melchizedek Meeting Abraham

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Melchizedek Meeting Abraham

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Imagine Abram’s astonishment when he and Nahor received this personal message from Melchizedek!

“…Come to Salem, where you shall hear our teachings of the truth of the eternal Creator, and in the enlightened offspring of you two brothers shall all the world be blessed.”

They surely wondered how he knew about them and where they were. After receiving this message the brothers left Ur and headed for Salem. Nahor stopped in Haran, but Abram went on. This is how I imagined his encounter with Machiventa, the Sage of Salem:

Meeting Abram

…One day out from Palestine Abram halted the caravan. He and Lot went ahead with one hundred men to search the Salem area for a secure campsite, one that would accommodate their numbers, provide high ground for protection, and be close to the sage’s school. After finding a hill that fit these needs, Abram sent a guide party back and his army arrived the following morning with Sarah and their belongings. Abram ordered his captain to: “Go into Salem, talk to the people. Learn what you can about the situation here, in the temples, the markets, and the treasury. Ask the townspeople if they expect attacks, and from where? Are foods and other of our needs plentiful? As you do this Lot and I will visit the school and meet the priest. Rejoin us here in two days and I will hear your report.”

When Melchizedek was informed by his invisible brothers that Abram would arrive the next day, he said to his staff, “I shall go and greet Abram on the road tomorrow, taking with me bread and wine.”

Nordan was among them, having recently returned from missionary service in Egypt. “May I assist you?” he asked.

“You may. Come with me to the Katro estate to gather the wine and bread.”

The father Katro of that day suggested they take a guard of fifty men, “in case there are road thieves.”

After sunup the following day, the guards gathered themselves and the two wagons of fresh loaves and full wineskins taken from the Katro pantries. It was mid-morning when Machiventa and his armed entourage were seen approaching. Not expecting to be greeted on the road, Abram was somewhat alarmed. He halted the procession, moved to its head, and watched for signs of hostility.

Machiventa likewise stopped his group and said to Nordan who was unarmed, “That is Abram’s flag, go and greet him.”

Nordan was nearing his eightieth year but was still a robust and commanding presence. When he was close, he called out, “Welcome Abram, the Sage of Salem has come to greet you!”

Abram asked, “What? What’s this? Are you Salem’s Sage?”

“I am Nordan. The sage comes, he is my teacher,” turning and pointing back. Machiventa then marched toward this long-anticipated visitor, the one he hoped would become the key to the success of his mission plan.

As the priest came closer, Abram immediately noted his dignified bearing and regal manner. He was utterly surprised by this greeting on the road, and mystified, once again, that his location was known.

When the two came face to face, looking directly into the other’s eyes, Abram felt certain he was meeting the teacher of truth he had always imagined. This assurance was of course tied to the fact that Machiventa somehow knew of Abram’s comings and goings. It inflated his pride, and Abram dared to think, ‘I must be an important person, or this great being would not have spied on me and met me on the road.’

He spoke first, saying “You do me honor, Priest of Salem. I am Abram. This is my brother’s son, Lot.”

Machiventa put his right hand on Abram’s left shoulder and said, “Welcome to Salem, Abram. I am Melchizedek. Welcome Lot, I am disappointed your father chose not to come.”

Lot replied, “My father sends greetings to the Priest of Salem and asks his blessing until you should meet.” Lot was pleased Machiventa appeared to be a superior man, sane, stable, and worthy of what he had heard and hoped.

Abram turned and commanded his first officer, “Put my guards at rest by the roadside. Bring up the tea tent, Lot and I would converse with our new friends in its shade.”

Nordan signaled their guards to rest also. Four of Abram’s servants quickly unloaded and set up the tent, filled it with carpets, cushions, and a low table, then put a little water pot over coal embers.

As they watched and waited to be seated Abram said, “I thank you for this greeting, even before I enter Salem, Meladeck. Um, you must teach me to say your name properly.”

Nordan replied, “He is called Machiventa, a Melchizedek priest.”

“Well then, why don’t I call you priest?”

“Many do,” answered Machiventa.

When all was in place, a servant pulled back the tent’s opening.

“Come, let us sit and talk. Do you like cardamom. It’s the finest there is in all India, China, and Egypt. Tell me, how do you know me and my whereabouts? How is it your messenger Jaram knew my brother and I tarried in Haran? And how could you know that I was coming to your school this day, this very hour? Even I did not know until yesterday.”

Machiventa replied, “Abram, I was informed of your journey here, and the death of Terah, by my associates. These associates reveal themselves neither to man nor woman. They are like I was before taking up life in the flesh, invisible shepherds, and keepers of God’s children on Earth. For untold generations we have watched your family produce brilliant leaders, capable men and women who seek and find truth, then become teachers of that same truth and promoters of divine righteousness.”

“‘Untold generations?!’ So, it is true what I have heard? You are not from woman’s womb, and you will not die? And you have unseen spies in all places?”

“No doubt you also heard I appeared fully grown. Abram, my parents are not men or women of Earth. I was created on another and higher world, and in different manner than you, in order that I might minister to you.

“But, remember well, I am not God rather a son of God, like you, and Lot. I took origin on a world far distant, was trained by my brothers in the ways of a priest, as a minister of truth. There, all know and worship El Elyon, the Most High, the one and only God, the Father of All. The reason I am here is to reveal this same God to all people, and to make the way for another who will also appear here, in the likeness of a man. He too is a son of God, but of a much higher order than mine. Indeed, he took origin in the abode of the one God.

“There are many invisible ministers on this world, like and unlike me. Not all are priests of my order, but we all cooperate in finding and fostering good families such as Terah’s that have sons like you, so that we might bestow the truth of the one God on them, and they in turn bestow this truth on their fellows.”

Abram was almost speechless. He searched Machiventa’s face but saw no deception, no falseness. After a moment he regained his voice saying thoughtfully and sincerely, “I believe you. I think I began believing when we heard one of your students preaching in Chaldea. Something stirred in me. Nahor felt it as well, as did my father. But, as you know, Terah died. And Nahor’s ambitions turned his heart to other things when we came to Haran. My nephew Lot, he’s a worthy lad, and a good representative of his father.”

Lot, trying to decide whether he believed all he was hearing, managed to utter the words, “My father said he may come at another time.”

Machiventa replied, “It is my hope and prayer.”

Abram thought to ask, “This missionary who preached at Ur, his name is Ovid, do you know him?”

Nordan replied, “Ovid serves with me, he is one of the leaders of the missionary corps. The sage selected and trained him and many others.”

“Yes, a good man he,” said Abram. His servant began pouring tea. Spicy aroma filled the air.

Melchizedek took a sip and said, “Excellent tea, Abram. May I offer accompaniments? We brought bread and wine for this momentous occasion.”

“Of course!” exclaimed Abram. To his servant standing outside he ordered, “Fetch the wine cups.”

Machiventa said to Nordan, “Let’s bring the loaves and wines that we may commemorate this meeting with our honored visitors.”

Nordan stepped out of the tent and told the guards to unload the wagons and distribute the goods to all. He brought back a loaf and a wineskin and offered them to Abram. Cups were filled and bread was broken for this historical meeting between God’s and man’s representatives, in the humble grasses on the side of the road to Salem, later to become Jerusalem.

“This is excellent wine. Might I buy some in Salem?” asked Abram.

“It is from Katro vineyards, one of the school’s patrons,” replied Nordan.

“Yes, this school. Tell me…” Abram paused when Sarah appeared at the tent’s entrance.

“Does my husband wish to introduce his wife to the Sage of Salem?”

“Join us, wife,” Abram threw back the sash and stood until she was seated. “Sarah, meet the one Ovid preached about. He is a priest… who will tell you his name.”

“Machiventa,” said the sage, smiling and offering her a seat.

“Ovid spoke highly and persuasively of your teachings. So impressed was my husband that he has not ceased planning a journey here.”

“I am saddened that your brother-in-law chose not to come, but am pleased that Abram brought you and Lot,” said Machiventa.

Sarah was immediately charmed by his gracious behavior and obvious seasoned intellect. She knew she had found a kindred spirit. “I believe my husband chose wisely in coming to you for truth.”

Machiventa poured a cup of wine. Nordan broke off a piece of bread and handed it to her.

The wine loosened Abram’s lips; he had more than one burning question about this mysterious being who claimed to be in league with invisible spies. He observed, “You say that you have seen leaders come from my family for generations. That would make you very old.”

“Abram, I tell you, my path has not been that of a man. Unlike you, I took origin on another world, even before humans appeared on this one. My order of being was created to minister to the worlds as they evolve. When the need arises, when truth is threatened, we may enter a mortal body to salvage it. Without truth’s vitalizing succor, societies starve in confusion and ignorance.

“I and my fellows are charged with guiding certain families, like yours, to help the rest of the human family attain its rightful, intended destiny as a living expression of divine truth. My Melchizedek brothers serve on this world to relieve humanity of its burden of untruth and your crippling ignorance about God’s good purposes—and Earth’s certain destiny. This is our method: Teach truth to good families who in turn teach it to their children and grandchildren.

“There is much men do not know about the affairs of the world in which they live. Beings invisible to you can and do observe humans; it has always been and will always be so. The Most High God tends to his children and no being of any order, low or high, goes unnoticed or abandoned. Invisibility ensures our observations are not influenced by human awareness of being seen. Is it so difficult to understand that a good shepherd cares for all his flock, in every way he knows, and leaves none behind?”

Abram replied, “I can understand that a caring God would tend his herd, as would a shepherd allowing none to go astray or to be attacked by wild beasts. But I do not understand how beings can be in our presence and not be seen. Though I admit, many times I have felt there is much more of the world than my eyes see.”

“Indeed there is, and I wish to teach you and Lot about what goes on here, seen and unseen, as much as you can grasp. Abram, I want you to attend my school, I want you to know the nature and expectations of your creator. Are you not curious about why and how God sends his children to minister to the worlds? I am one such, and one much greater will follow. To prepare for his visit, the truth of the one God must be established in the beliefs and customs of the people to whom he shall minister.

“That is the sum and substance of my mission, Abram. My fellow observers, my eleven invisible associates, are assisting in this endeavor to reveal the Most High God to humanity, and to prepare the soil for a new seed of high spiritual origin. I have their counsel, and now I have met you. Believe me when I say you have an important role in my plan, and an honored place in Earth’s history. Tell me, what do you recall of my teachings as preached by Ovid?”

“I heard him say what you have just said; that you teach one God over all, that you predict another, greater one will soon come. He told us you claim no father and no mother, and that you will not die… which you have now confirmed.

“You say you have a great role in store for me. Is it your plan to teach me to be invisible? It would be a great advantage for the leader and commander of an army, if I could return to visibility when I wished.”

“If men should acquire such a power, would they use it for good, or for war? I do not teach war or conflict at the school. I speak the truth in saying invisibility is something that cannot be taught to, or given to, men. It is inherent in my nature, but not yours. We beings who minister to the worlds are diverse in our natures and purposes, our abilities and talents. You to whom we minister also have talents, different ones, such as creating children in your likeness. And you have the remarkable ability to give birth to a soul, your entry to eternity.”

Abram, usually strong in his opinions and quick to react, could think of nothing to say. He was disappointed to hear he could not acquire the capacity to vanish at will.

“What do you teach at your school besides what you have already said?”

“Why not see for yourselves tomorrow? I think you should see the school and meet its students. Nordan can introduce you to his band of ministers who have traveled far in search of seekers of truth, like you and Lot.”

“I will, priest. You surely know the reason Lot and I came to Salem is to meet you and see your school.” Lot nodded agreement.

Machiventa replied, “I am pleased to hear it. As I was when I heard you received Ovid’s preachments, and that they had taken root in your heart and mind.”

“You heard? Are you saying nothing escapes your notice?”

“Nothing of spiritual importance. I tell you that my associates and I almost always do our work without incarnating as mortals. Normally we labor in spirit form, in coordination with the angels and other non-visible beings assigned to the watch care of the worlds. But, on occasion, when the need is evident, we appear as one of you, in the flesh. It is rare, however. In the long experience of the Melchizedek brotherhood, across many worlds, we have chosen to appear in your likeness only six times. This brings powers and potentials which other ways of communicating truth do not, cannot achieve.”

“You say you are human only in likeness, and that you will never die. How is this done? Many would like to know, and even more, how to avoid becoming old and weak.”

“Let me be clear, when my mission is complete, I will cease to be visible. This body does decay, but much slower than yours. Your body is of a separate order, a different design. The lamb may wish to be a lion, but it is not possible. I can tell you this—and we have it in common—when your body expires, you will not. This and many other things are taught in my school.”

“You’re telling me much I have not heard, or even imagined. I don’t know where to begin my questions… This one who’s coming you have predicted, how is he unlike you? Will he die? What is he to you? Are you not also from this same God? How can you be sure the gods of my people are beneath your God?”

“Abram, I have come to dispel ignorance and declare there is but one God over all, the Most High, El Elyon. I am here for your eyes to see and your ears to hear revelations of God’s nature and his plan for Earth. The Son of God whose coming I now foretell is related to me in that the Father Melchizedek, the first of my order, is one of his many sons.”

Abram thought for moment and replied, “I wish to know more, about all of this. It is my intention to attend your school.”

“And you, Lot? Now that you have met me and heard what I teach, do you thirst for more?”

“I am certain of that. But I am not certain I would be a worthy student. I, like my father, am minded for business and trade, not matters of spirit.”

“Such choices lie ahead. Perhaps you should attend the school before deciding on your life’s work.”

Abram then said, “I am curious: How do you worship? I have an altar and animals for sacrifice in order that we might worship together, even here and now if you wish. Shall I set up the altar so that we can offer your Most High God our gratitude for this meeting, and ask his blessing?”

“Abram, I would make a request of you, of Lot, and all who follow my teaching, that you refrain from blood sacrifice. I tell you it is more pleasing to the eye of the Most High God if bread and drink become the worship offering. This is why I came out bearing loaves and wineskins.”

“No blood, for any reason, not even war? How will the gods know we are sincere if we do not sacrifice something of value?”

“Are bread and wine without value? Do they not bear some measure of the love and effort of their makers? And I would have you realize that the Most High God, who knows all, sees and hears all, also knows the content of your heart. Your heavenly Father measures you not by the amount of bloodshed or the number of battles won, but by your intentions, your fondest desires and deepest longings. It is your intentions that reflect your true aims and cherished goals. Are they worthy of the great God whose child you are?”

They then discussed the Melchizedek mission and Abram’s projected role in its unfolding. Melchizedek informed him, “We who monitor and foster the spiritual progress of the diverse peoples have noted there are many families capable of producing good leaders, ones who might have served just as well in completing my mission. But yours was the one located nearest Palestine, the crossroads of the world. To this place my students come from near and far. Once schooled, they can and do carry to every land the truth of the one true God, and his son Michael who will ere long be born as a child. Abram, you have been selected as a human associate in the fulfillment of my mission because you are a leader, and you were born in nearby Chaldea.”

“I cannot believe my ears, but they do like what they hear,” Abram replied.

They talked for several hours over the wine and bread. As friendship grew and the day mellowed, Nordan sat by hearing all. Lot said little but listened closely to every word from the priest, while Machiventa listened intently and patiently to Abram as he divulged and explained his lifelong accumulation of religious theories and spiritual beliefs. Sarah remained mostly silent in the custom of the day, but her heart was gladdened by all she heard.

Finally, Abram asked for more about the priest’s teachings regarding the ceremonial and sacrificial practices he wished to introduce, beginning with the substitution of bread and wine for a child’s or an animal’s life. Sacrificing the first-born was still sometimes practiced in those days.

Machiventa attempted to answer his questions about sacrifice, teaching him about the Salem gospel, that faith and trust are what the Most High wishes to have in place of burnt offerings and lamb’s blood.

Abram and Lot found his words and ideas to be refreshing and generously tinged with celestial knowing, combined with a superhuman compassion. Men and women of all kinds and types were humbled by his presence and awed by the gentle but undeniable authority with which he spoke and acted. But he always struggled to convince his students the only worthwhile sacrifice is the surrender of doubt—the embrace of faith and trust.

When the sun was low in the west Machiventa said to Nordan, “We should be about returning.” To Abram and Lot he said, “If you wish to visit the school, and worship in its temple, you are welcome. Arrangements for your lodging have been made. You will stay the night and visit the school tomorrow?”

Abram gladly consented saying, “We shall! I thank you for this meeting and kindly invitation.” When they exited the tea tent Abram commanded his first officer, “Take the guard back to the encampment. Lot, Sarah, and I will lodge at the school tonight and tomorrow, then rejoin you at camp the following day.”

This meeting and conversation by the roadside deeply impressed Abram and boosted his pride. He was intrigued by Machiventa’s personality, by his teachings, and by his way of organizing a successful and influential school. Abram had many more questions about delegating authority in such a grand endeavor as a school of truth-teaching. He was savoring everything he heard that day, except for the new ideas about blood sacrifice.

So impressed was Abram that, on the way into Salem that evening, he began thinking of using his army to conquer all Palestine, to create a confederation of tribes loyal to Melchizedek; first to spread the truths he taught; second, to unify the local villages under his rule. Third, and most important to Abram at that moment, was fulfilling his ambition of conquering and leading an empire.

Machiventa knew all about this kingly ambition, but he saw in Abram a spiritual leader. This was eventually borne out, even if Abram did for a time pursue military goals and territorial conquests. He and his descendants provided the spiritual spark that the Melchizedek receivers needed to help keep alive the light of truth in the human mind until the bestowal son’s arrival. This connection with Abram became the crucial factor in preparing Earth’s spiritual culture for Michael’s mission. His descendants did indeed bear much spirit fruit before the advent. They succeeded in keeping monotheism alive until that monumental incarnation.

Richard E Warren

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Rick – absolutely fabulous!

And especially…

“But he always struggled to convince his students the only worthwhile sacrifice is the surrender of doubt-the embrace of faith and trust.”

Reminds me that (48:7.21)

“19. Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come.”

with thanks,
    Nigel

Richard E Warren
    Richard E Warren
    Participant

Rick – absolutely fabulous! And especially…

“But he always struggled to convince his students the only worthwhile sacrifice is the surrender of doubt-the embrace of faith and trust.”

Reminds me that (48:7.21)

“19. Anxiety must be abandoned. The disappointments hardest to bear are those which never come.”

with thanks, Nigel

Thank you Nigel. Much appreciate your kudos. Must confess, you’ve uncovered my source :)

Richard E Warren

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.