Gender equality on the "neighboring planet"

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Gender equality on the "neighboring planet"

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Keryn
    Participant

In my reading for today I read paper 72, “Government on a Neighboring Planet” and I noticed something I hadn’t noticed in my previous 3 readings of TUB.  The concept of gender equality is entirely unaddressed in this paper.  In fact, the word “woman” only appears once:  “Every man and woman of twenty years and over has one vote.”  Furthermore, it seems that the positions of highest power and authority are specifically referred to by the male pronoun.  Does this nation on the neighboring planet ever have a female chief executive?

72:2.3 (809.4) The federal government embraces three co-ordinate divisions: executive, legislative, and judicial. The federal chief executive is elected every six years by universal territorial suffrage. He is not eligible for re-election except upon the petition of at least seventy-five state legislatures concurred in by the respective state governors, and then but for one term. He is advised by a supercabinet composed of all living ex-chief executives.

I find it surprising and perplexing that the author does not include any reference to women in government, given that it was so emphasized with regard to Jesus’ time on earth when he made the bold decision to include women in positions of leadership and authority.  It is also strongly emphasized in paper 74 about Adam and Eve, where it seems to go out of its way to point out women being in positions of authority equal to that of men:

74:3.5 (831.2) On the fourth day Adam and Eve addressed the Garden assembly. From the inaugural mount they spoke to the people concerning their plans for the rehabilitation of the world and outlined the methods whereby they would seek to redeem the social culture of Urantia from the low levels to which it had fallen as a result of sin and rebellion. This was a great day, and it closed with a feast for the council of men and women who had been selected to assume responsibilities in the new administration of world affairs. Take note! women as well as men were in this group, and that was the first time such a thing had occurred on earth since the days of Dalamatia. It was an astounding innovation to behold Eve, a woman, sharing the honors and responsibilities of world affairs with a man. And thus ended the fourth day on earth.

Could it have been a simple oversight to not mention it in paper 72 dealing with government administration on another Satania planet?  Seems doubtful.  Is the message we are to take from this that, perhaps on our own planet, women in governmental leadership positions is so assured as to require no mention when discussing methods of government administration on a nearby planet?  Or, some other reason?  I’d be interested in others’ thoughts about this.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Could it have been a simple oversight to not mention it in paper 72 dealing with government administration on another Satania planet?  Seems doubtful.  Is the message we are to take from this that, perhaps on our own planet, women in governmental leadership positions is so assured as to require no mention when discussing methods of government administration on a nearby planet?  Or, some other reason?  I’d be interested in others’ thoughts about this.

I don’t think it was an oversight.  The Urantia papers were indicted with permissions and with revelatory limitations.  I notice some UB students are surprised to discover the UB material is not a compendium nor an encyclopedia of information about many different subjects we would be interested in knowing.

72:0.1  BY PERMISSION of Lanaforge and with the approval of the Most Highs of Edentia, I am authorized to narrate something of the social, moral, and political life of the most advanced human race living on a not far-distant planet belonging to the Satania system.

72:0.3   This planet, like Urantia, was led astray by the disloyalty of its Planetary Prince in connection with the Lucifer rebellion. It received a Material Son shortly after Adam came to Urantia, and this Son also defaulted, leaving the sphere isolated, since a Magisterial Son has never been bestowed upon its mortal races.

The fact that they received a Material Son pair informs me some of the people at that time had experience with equality of the sexes for a period of time – long or short I don’t know.  Maybe a tradition developed out of that, regarding gender roles.  They do tell us everyone gets educated and must work at something.  “The entire educational system is designed to adequately train the individual.”  “The chief object of education on this continent is to make every pupil a self-supporting citizen.”  Schools are co-educational.  It seems to me they do not discriminate between the sexes.  But this is just a guess.

.We do know the reason the revelators included Paper 72:

72:12.3 This recital of the affairs of a neighboring planet is made by special permission with the intent of advancing civilization and augmenting governmental evolution on Urantia. Much more could be narrated that would no doubt interest and intrigue Urantians, but this disclosure covers the limits of our permissive mandate.

Keryn
    Participant

Mara, you are correct in that the revelators had limitations in what they were allowed to share about the neighboring planet, and I’ve always both loved and been somewhat frustrated by that sentence “Much more could be narrated that would no doubt interest and intrigue Urantians …” because it reminds us that there is much more to know about our neighbor.

We know from elsewhere in TUB that sex equality is necessary in order to achieve full realization of home life on planets that have previously had a planetary prince.  Given that significance of importance, it is surprising that it is not included in paper 72, but perhaps because our neighboring planet also experienced the Rebellion of the planetary prince, their sex equality suffered as a result.  In such a case, I can imagine not including it as a negative example.

52:2.7(591.7) This is the dispensation of the realization of sex equality. On some planets the male may rule the female; on others the reverse prevails. During this age normal worlds establish full equality of the sexes, this being preliminary to the fuller realization of the ideals of home life. This is the dawn of the golden age of the home. The idea of tribal rule gradually gives way to the dual concept of national life and family life.

Additionally, perhaps the need for an active and vigilant military of this nation on the neighboring planet, sex equality is less than it otherwise would be.

84:5.3(936.7) The modern idea of sex equality is beautiful and worthy of an expanding civilization, but it is not found in nature. When might is right, man lords it over woman; when more justice, peace, and fairness prevail, she gradually emerges from slavery and obscurity. Woman’s social position has generally varied inversely with the degree of militarism in any nation or age.

From paper 72 regarding the nation on the neighboring planet:

72:11.4 (819.3) Although these people maintain a powerful war establishment as a defense against invasion by the surrounding hostile peoples, it may be recorded to their credit that they have not in over one hundred years employed these military resources in an offensive war. They have become civilized to that point where they can vigorously defend civilization without yielding to the temptation to utilize their war powers in aggression. There have been no civil wars since the establishment of the united continental state, but during the last two centuries these people have been called upon to wage nine fierce defensive conflicts, three of which were against mighty confederations of world powers. Although this nation maintains adequate defense against attack by hostile neighbors, it pays far more attention to the training of statesmen, scientists, and philosophers.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

52:2.7(591.7) This is the dispensation of the realization of sex equality. On some planets the male may rule the female; on others the reverse prevails. During this age normal worlds establish full equality of the sexes, this being preliminary to the fuller realization of the ideals of home life. This is the dawn of the golden age of the home. The idea of tribal rule gradually gives way to the dual concept of national life and family life.

To me this is an interesting reference about your question, pointing to *the dual concept of national life and family life* which on normal worlds – worlds not disrupted by rebellion or default – are learning, during the post Planetary Prince age of man.  (55:0.1) (64:6.29)  I am inclined to think that equality of the sexes now exists or is emerging on our neighboring world on that particular continent of that world.  The governmental and social system/s  are no longer tribal.  Apparently their military is wholly defensive in nature and when not engaged in defense, the military  machines can be obtained by the populace for use when on holiday.  Another thing that amazes me is the fact that the people who want to marry must go to school for parental education!  This informs me that they must care very much about the quality of the home in that the parents have to pass muster before having children.  They seem way ahead of us and they have not yet received a bestowal Son!  Maybe they received more of the Adamic germplasm before their Material Son defaulted.  This is all speculation on my part.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.