Favorite Apostles

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Favorite Apostles

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

I’m just curious and if you have some extra time, who is your favorite Apostle and why?

I can relate most to Thomas and when I read through the page on Thomas I was immediately impress with him because of his ability to overcome himself, his faults/flaws. I also admire his mind, the fact that his was a scientist who was also an Apostle. What was written about his appreciation of Jesus is amazing.

Secondly, I admire Matthew. His sacrifice to the whole of the mission and his being penny-less at the end. The dedication of the Apostles is beyond words.

We don’t know much about the women Apostles nor about Abner’s group. I have to wait for that but, I sure am curious.

Thanks,

Paul

Keryn
    Participant

I like James and Judas Alpheus because they are so relatable.  It says pretty much outright that there was nothing outstanding about them; they were humble and near guileless.  They were always cheerful and grateful to be able to spend time in Jesus’ presence.

139:10.8(1564.2) The twins were good-natured, simple-minded helpers, and everybody loved them. Jesus welcomed these young men of one talent to positions of honor on his personal staff in the kingdom because there are untold millions of other such simple and fear-ridden souls on the worlds of space whom he likewise wishes to welcome into active and believing fellowship with himself and his outpoured Spirit of Truth. Jesus does not look down upon littleness, only upon evil and sin. James and Judas were little, but they were also faithful. They were simple and ignorant, but they were also big-hearted, kind, and generous.

These are role-models that anyone can emulate, no special skills required.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Andrew, definitely.  A deep-thinker and wonderfully useful servant. Part IV is based on his experience with Jesus.

Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

I think Andrew is mentioned as the greatest of the group.

I admire him a lot too. He was a true leader, selected for that role.

The twins had qualities I wish I could have…big-hearted, kind and generous.

Paul

Gene
    Participant

I am intrigued by Judas. No, not because he betrayed our master.

Judas had personality issues to overcome and his struggles are a constant reminder for me to not take myself too seriously.

Cant really say he’s my favorite but it’s more of an influence thing. Loyalty – so huge and so necessary to have it for the correct reasons that are not selfish.

Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

Regarding Judas,

Reading the page on Judas was alarming to me when I first read through it. There were aspects of his personality that I have/had in common and since they were not positive, I was really taken aback by what was written about Judas. I have been really concentrating on not holding grudges and not taking myself too seriously. I can relate to him because I was a somewhat spoiled child too and I have been trying to overcome those drawbacks for many years now.

Thanks for posting Gene

Paul

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Thank you Paul for the topic and your considerations…most interesting.  I think their stories, before and during and after their walk with the Son of Man and Son of God, are the most compelling of all stories.  So human.  Such tadpoles!  Strivers, believers, faith sons, beacons of hope, and servants at the risk of or even unto death itself.  Like I said….so human though.  Fraught with frailties, faults, failures, inexperience, ignorance, prejudice, and more.  And yet…….inspiring.

I think the topic deserves an exhaustive examination of these men and women….apostles and disciples.  And, perhaps, those pillars of faith which the Master himself met, taught, inspired, and activated those pioneers of the original Jesusonian Gospel Movement.  These tales should be sung from the highest mountain top….just think of all the heroes and heroines in Urantia’s past….such stories we will see unfold before our very eyes on the Mansion Worlds to come.  But only the apostles and disciples walked with Jesus.

My favorite is John Mark….yes I know, not an apostle.  But such loyalty, insight, effort, devotion, and expertise to become the eyes and ears of the Master in his self planned strategies for evoking the Spirit and provoking the priesthood.  What a lad!!  What an enterprise!

I’m looking for the text which details the Master’s view of each apostle.  Paper 139 has been getting my attention for several days now:

https://urantia-association.org/the-urantia-book/part-4/paper-139/

On Andrew:

137:1.1 [Part IV]
    During this Sabbath two of John’s leading disciples spent much time with Jesus. Of all John’s followers one named Andrew was the most profoundly impressed with Jesus; he accompanied him on the trip to Pella with the injured boy. On the way back to John’s rendezvous he asked Jesus many questions, and just before reaching their destination, the two paused for a short talk, during which Andrew said: “I have observed you ever since you came to Capernaum, and I believe you are the new Teacher, and though I do not understand all your teaching, I have fully made up my mind to follow you; I would sit at your feet and learn the whole truth about the new kingdom.” And Jesus, with hearty assurance, welcomed Andrew as the first of his apostles, that group of twelve who were to labor with him in the work of establishing the new kingdom of God in the hearts of men.

And on my believing tadpole heroes (after the resurrection):

192:2.13 [Part IV]
    Then he walked and talked with the Alpheus twins, James and Judas, and speaking to both of them, he asked, “James and Judas, do you believe in me?” And when they both answered, “Yes, Master, we do believe,” he said: “I will soon leave you. You see that I have already left you in the flesh. I tarry only a short time in this form before I go to my Father. You believe in me — you are my apostles, and you always will be. Go on believing and remembering your association with me, when I am gone, and after you have, perchance, returned to the work you used to do before you came to live with me. Never allow a change in your outward work to influence your allegiance. Have faith in God to the end of your days on earth. Never forget that, when you are a faith son of God, all upright work of the realm is sacred. Nothing which a son of God does can be common. Do your work, therefore, from this time on, as for God. And when you are through on this world, I have other and better worlds where you shall likewise work for me. And in all of this work, on this world and on other worlds, I will work with you, and my spirit shall dwell within you.”

As to Judas……this gamble by Jesus  – “faith adventure” (remember – adventure is only delivered by uncertainty, so the Master demonstrates such uncertainty of outcome by such faith in potential) may or may not have led Judas to survival after all….wouldn’t know or gamble a guess.  But I think, that like in all things, the contrasts provided by him are important.  Several of the Apostles had prejudices and expectations….all had hope.  All but one found a way to trust and love and serve and grow in the Spirit in gallantry.  Each faced the same confusions, disappointments, frustrations, misunderstandings, and failures.  All but one transcended those…how so?  Important information to consider.  I am grateful for such a story illuminating one potential for each of us who cling to self importance and expectations of prejudice.  I am hopeful all such ones find their way back home….home of origin and destiny…God within.   I think the selection of Judas was one of great hope.  And his betrayal made the Master far more sad than mad.  Even Jesus, as Master Son, demonstrates hope and his faith that God’s will and way always deliver best outcomes in time, even in the midst of betrayal and suffering….each of us are so beloved.  Wondrous.

139:12.7 [Part IV]
    To Jesus, Judas was a faith adventure. From the beginning the Master fully understood the weakness of this apostle and well knew the dangers of admitting him to fellowship. But it is the nature of the Sons of God to give every created being a full and equal chance for salvation and survival. Jesus wanted not only the mortals of this world but the onlookers of innumerable other worlds to know that, when doubts exist as to the sincerity and wholeheartedness of a creature’s devotion to the kingdom, it is the invariable practice of the Judges of men fully to receive the doubtful candidate. The door of eternal life is wide open to all; “whosoever will may come”; there are no restrictions or qualifications save the faith of the one who comes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.