Living channel of spiritual light

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Living channel of spiritual light

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Vern
    Vern
    Participant

I looked at today’s “thought gem” and thought it a worthy topic for consideration in light of the fact we have been discussing spiritual brotherhood.

It is a marvelous and transforming experience

to become the living channel of spiritual light

to the mortal who sits in spiritual darkness

For context I’ve included the full paragraph below:

One of the young men who worked with Jesus one day on the steering paddle became much interested in the words which he dropped from hour to hour as they toiled in the shipyard. When Jesus intimated that the Father in heaven was interested in the welfare of his children on earth, this young Greek, Anaxand, said: “If the Gods are interested in me, then why do they not remove the cruel and unjust foreman of this workshop?” He was startled when Jesus replied, “Since you know the ways of kindness and value justice, perhaps the Gods have brought this erring man near that you may lead him into this better way. Maybe you are the salt which is to make this brother more agreeable to all other men; that is, if you have not lost your savor. As it is, this man is your master in that his evil ways unfavorably influence you. Why not assert your mastery of evil by virtue of the power of goodness and thus become the master of all relations between the two of you? I predict that the good in you could overcome the evil in him if you gave it a fair and living chance. There is no adventure in the course of mortal existence more enthralling than to enjoy the exhilaration of becoming the material life partner with spiritual energy and divine truth in one of their triumphant struggles with error and evil. It is a marvelous and transforming experience to become the living channel of spiritual light to the mortal who sits in spiritual darkness. If you are more blessed with truth than is this man, his need should challenge you. Surely you are not the coward who could stand by on the seashore and watch a fellow man who could not swim perish! How much more of value is this man’s soul floundering in darkness compared to his body drowning in water!” [Paper 130:2.4, page 1430.2]

Is each of us ready to give it a fair and living chance?

Live your life that the good in you can overcome the evil in him/her.

This builds on Jesus’ teaching spiritual brotherhood is exemplified by returning good for evil. In this way both giver and receiver benefit.

Then asked Nathaniel: “Master, shall we give no place to justice? The law of Moses says, ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ What shall we say?” And Jesus answered: You shall return good for evil. My messengers must not strive with men, but be gentle toward all. Measure for measure shall not be your rule. The rulers of men may have such laws, but not so in the kingdom; mercy always shall determine your judgments and love your conduct. And if these are hard sayings, you can even now turn back. If you find the requirements of apostleship too hard, you may return to the less rigorous pathway of discipleship.” [Paper 140:6.9, page 1577:3]

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

It seems to me you can’t do this work if you are far away from a person in terms of relatedness.  We have to draw very near material-minded people and show them something.

178:1:4 )  Sonship in the kingdom, from the standpoint of advancing civilization, should assist you in becoming the ideal citizens of the kingdoms of this world since brotherhood and service are the cornerstones of the gospel of the kingdom. The love call of the spiritual kingdom should prove to be the effective destroyer of the hate urge of the unbelieving and war-minded citizens of the earthly kingdoms. But these material-minded sons in darkness will never know of your spiritual light of truth unless you draw very near them with that unselfish social service which is the natural outgrowth of the bearing of the fruits of the spirit in the life experience of each individual believer.

It all depends on whether a person wants to know what you want to tell him/her.  I do think personal contact  is required and to me this means you have to put yourself out there where people are and develop relationships in the social arenas of family, work, play, etc.  And then look for opportunities, or invitations, to do God’s work.  He always shows us the way.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.