Are the Georgia Guidestones Urantian?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Are the Georgia Guidestones Urantian?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carl R
    Carl R
    Participant

This is a question I haven’t found any discussion of anywhere on this forum–or anywhere else.  As a long-time UB reader and a big fan of the Guidestones since I found out about them a couple of years ago, I’m surprised that this is the case.  I won’t go into much detail about the Guidestones since it is much simpler to point people to the Wikipedia page for them here, and for those interested in really getting into serious detail to the most authoritative writing about it is in a book titled “Common Sense Renewed“.  It was authored by the same person who was the author of the writings on the Guidestones, the pseudonymous Robert C. Christian.  You can find PDF files of the book scattered about the web, but since they are usually associated with blogs I don’t want to endorse I’ll leave the web search to those interested.  Wired Magazine did a reasonably good article on the guidestones a while back.

The vast majority of other stuff about the guidestones on the web is by people who hate them.  Given that the message of the ‘stones is at least broadly similar to the UB, I think that’s worth noting in itself.

For purposes of discussion here are the ten guiding principles inscribed on the stones.

1. Maintain humanity under 500,000,000 in perpetual balance with nature.
    2. Guide reproduction wisely — improving fitness and diversity.
    3. Unite humanity with a living new language.
    4. Rule passion — faith — tradition — and all things with tempered reason.
    5. Protect people and nations with fair laws and just courts.
    6. Let all nations rule internally resolving external disputes in a world court.
    7. Avoid petty laws and useless officials.
    8. Balance personal rights with social duties.
    9. Prize truth — beauty — love — seeking harmony with the infinite.
    10. Be not a cancer on the earth — Leave room for nature — Leave room for nature.

And just to (I hope) help a little more in kickstarting further conversation, here’s my very general take on whether or not they are “Urantian”:  I think that the general thrust of the guidelines is in keeping with the teachings of the UB, though on a level that could be considered more adjusted and qualified for the present situation.  For example, the UB is obviously theistic to the core but the ‘stones only mention “seeking harmony with the infinite.”  The UB advocates a planetary government much stronger than just a world court, though that would certainly be part of what the authors advocate and a plausible necessary first step.

The only place in which I can see the possibility of a concrete disjunct concerns the desired level of population for the planet.  The guidestones clearly advocate staying under 500 million while the UB can reasonably be taken as being okay with the level circa 1935(but not much higher), just a little over two billion.  The book does not prescribe a specific number, however, so it’s open to interpretation.  Personally, I’m quite cool with 500 million. ;-)

68:6.11 (770.8) From a world standpoint, overpopulation has never been a serious problem in the past, but if war is lessened and science increasingly controls human diseases, it may become a serious problem in the near future.

For any number of reasons I suspect that Robert C. Christian was a UB reader (though I can hardly prove it) but in the era between roughly 1900-1980 most of the views expressed on the stones were not so unusual in certain more progressive and spiritually-minded intellectual circles.  As just one example, among more internationalist Rockefeller Republicans after WWII and until the extinction of the species around 1980, I don’t think that such ideas would have been all that uncommon, at least in private.

I do think the secrecy around the origins of the Georgia Guidestones has a qualitative “ring” to it much like the origins of the UB.

Would love to hear what others think.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

and a big fan of the Guidestones. . . .

Sounds like you’ve been having fun Carl.  The moral laws of Dalamatia (“Father’s Way”) are inscribed on stones that now lie beneath the waters off the shores of Mesopotamia and Persia.  I realize you’re not talking about those stones which pertain to individual behavior for the people of Dalamatia – Hap’s seven commands which were wiped out by the horrible confusion and abject spiritual darkness which followed the Caligastia catastrophe of deception and sedition related to the Lucifer rebellion some 300,000 years ago.

(751.4)66:7.9 1. You shall not fear nor serve any God but the Father of all.

(751.5)66:7.10 2. You shall not disobey the Father’s Son, the world’s ruler, nor show disrespect to his superhuman associates.

(751.6)66:7.11 3. You shall not speak a lie when called before the judges of the people.

(751.7)66:7.12 4. You shall not kill men, women, or children.

(751.8)66:7.13 5. You shall not steal your neighbor’s goods or cattle.

(751.9)66:7.14 6. You shall not touch your friend’s wife.

(751.10)66:7.15 7. You shall not show disrespect to your parents or to the elders of the tribe.

As to the truth of the stones of which you inquire, I do see some interesting resemblances in part to some material in the UB.  Are you wondering  if the stones of which you speak were meant to verify its contents in some manner?  I am curious to know what the stones mean to you relative to the UB.  Or is it only an intellectual thing for you?  Thanks.

Carl R
    Carl R
    Participant

Thanks Mara for your comments.  Interesting about the Dalmation stones, I hadn’t made that connection before!  That’s one to ponder…

The guidestones are more than a just an intellectual thing for me, in that they do resonate on a very personal level.  I am by nature a bio-geek and conservationist (most of my practical, in-the-field work at the moment is with bears) and have since I was a kid been very concerned about overpopulation, race decadence, etc..  Also, while I’m more bio- than astro- in my geekiness, I do love the astronomical elements of the monument.  Further still, I do have a deep, ativistic response to what could be called the Tolkien-esque, so I love the whole Stonehenge feel of it.  Combine that with calls for planetary unity and justice and harmony with the Infinite and I can’t help but be in with it, hook line and sinker.

So it’s far more than just an intellectual thing with me, but much of it operates at a level I have a hard time articulating, so mostly I talk about the more intellectual elements.

I don’t think the guidestones are meant to be a kind of verification of the teachings of the UB, but I do think they are an expression of the same planetary purpose.  While I would find it hard to believe that R. C. Christian and those working with him had no knowledge of the UB, I don’t know how much it was in their minds.  My gut-level impression is that UB inspiration was secondary to broader concerns, but present.  That is, that R.C.C. was aware of the book and probably something of a reader, but that it was not his main focus.   In any case, I see them both as strongly (though not absolutely perfectly) expressions of the Supreme and of celestial planetary governance.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

That is, that R.C.C. was aware of the book and probably something of a reader, but that it was not his main focus.   In any case, I see them both as strongly (though not absolutely perfectly) expressions of the Supreme and of celestial planetary governance.

Maybe RRC was sort of copycatish? Dont’ know. But you are certainly right that no one knows what was in his mind or in *theirs*.  People who read the book can and do take the material off in one harebrain direction or another to invent their own religion and perhaps carve their inventions in stone/s which stones are aligned to catch the first light of the winter solstice. . . or possibly to inscript their own ideas in stone to nail it down for others to discover in the future. . . and when that future comes, the discoverers think they’ve really stumbled upon something amazing. . . !  I’m just thinking out loud.  I have no idea why RCC and Co. did this.

Thanks for sharing, even your strong ativistic inclinations.

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I saw a documentary on this a while back and thought the whole thing took more than a little chutzpah.  The astronomic features make me think they want us to consider it to be some kind of new Stonehenge with a doomsday meme.   But I do like the part about avoiding useless officials . . .  so many of them these days.  And no, I don’t think it’s TUB related, but there are some parallels to matters any deep thinking mind might consider, and some of it is plain common sense.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.