Help with a quote

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Help with a quote

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

From paper 54:

54:0.1 (613.1) EVOLUTIONARY man finds it difficult fully to comprehend the significance and to grasp the meanings of evil, error, sin, and iniquity. Man is slow to perceive that contrastive perfection and imperfection produce potential evil; that conflicting truth and falsehood create confusing error; that the divine endowment of freewill choice eventuates in the divergent realms of sin and righteousness; that the persistent pursuit of divinity leads to the kingdom of God as contrasted with its continuous rejection, which leads to the domains of iniquity.

This part here ……”contrastive perfection and imperfection produce potential evil; that conflicting truth and falsehood create confusing error”  …..seems to explain the difference between evil and error so, my question has to do with a sentence further down the paper which states:     54:1.2 (613.4) True liberty is the quest of the ages and the reward of evolutionary progress. False liberty is the subtle deception of the error of time and the evil of space. Enduring liberty is predicated on the reality of justice — intelligence, maturity, fraternity, and equity.

What is meant by error being of time and evil being of space, is there something significant about why this is written this way?

Any thoughts????

Sincerely,

Paul

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

I don’t know if these quotes help or not:

118:7.3 Error in finite choosing is time bound and time limited. It can exist only in time and within the evolving presence of the Supreme Being. Such mistaken choosing is time possible and indicates (besides the incompleteness of the Supreme) that certain range of choice with which immature creatures must be endowed in order to enjoy universe progression by making freewill contact with reality.

67:1.4 Error might be regarded as a misconception or distortion of reality. Evil is a partial realization of, or maladjustment to, universe realities.

102:3.15 The eternal real is the good of the universe and not the time illusions of space evil.

130:1.5 Evil is the immature choosing and the unthinking misstep of those who are resistant to goodness, rejectful of beauty, and disloyal to truth.

132:2.6  The ability to entertain error or experience evil will not be fully lost until the ascending human soul achieves final spirit levels.

I’m reading it to mean that error involves thoughts/ideas and evil results when erroneous thoughts/ideas are acted upon and experienced.  Error, as a potential, exists in time, but once enacted the repercussions occur in space as evil. Error is a time illusion manifested in space as evil.

But in all honesty, I think it is meant more poetically than anything else.  It’s really splitting hairs.  Error and evil are essentially synonyms while time without space (and vice versa) doesn’t really exist in experiential reality. You can’t have one without the other. Likewise, evil and error both exist in time and space because the evolving worlds of time and space are still imperfect.  (Imperfection is also another synonym for evil and error.)

Xobeht
    Xobeht
    Participant

The quotes you provided are very helpful Bonita, thank you.

Your explanation is superb. Just what I was looking for but could not find myself.

Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.