"Your" — "so"

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions "Your" — "so"

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Sliced from Jesus’ Ordination Sermon, two words are blinking attention: “your” and “so”.

140:3.13

“You are the light of the world. A city set upon a hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and be led to glorify your Father who is in heaven.

140:4.5

From the Midwayer authors: While light dispels darkness, it can also be so “blinding” as to confuse and frustrate. We are admonished to let our light so shine that our fellows will be guided into new and godly paths of enhanced living. Our light should so shine as not to attract attention to self. Even one’s vocation can be utilized as an effective “reflector” for the dissemination of this light of life.

In a funeral sermon today the pastor spoke of a person who wanted him to read The Urantia Book and the pastor today said he couldn’t agree with some of what he read. His statement today caused me to realize people sometimes go too fast for persons, taking a shortcut using the book instead of, perhaps, years-long friendly effort to introduce UB teachings.

Note the words: “let your light so shine” The word “your” is specific. It could mean a group or a person. IMHO its possessive in that we cannot shove the responsibility of light shining off to others. We could take an honest look inside of self and determine if style could be adjusted. The light we attempt by short cutting the sharing too fast (here, read this book) is unacceptable to a person not prepared for belief adjustments. Seeing our good works may include attempts to introduce the book to others. While doing so we may not desire to attract personal attention, but we error when we are a bit impatient introducing the book or its contents. Sound familiar?

It is our responsibility to adjust the “so”, our style to be beneficial for the individual. Jesus told us to use parables for groups.

In the lesson I learned today the pastor was clearly not ready for anything other than his seminary “indoctrination”.

I appreciate the lesson. What say, all?

Cole
    Cole
    Participant

Wow…I have never heard a minister mention the UB in a sermon of any type – very interesting!

I have heard references on the radio but never in person in a church.  I am not surprised at his reaction.  Change is always difficult for most.  If you don’t mind telling us, what denomination was this minister?

Regarding his response….he said he could not agree with “some” of what he read.  That is a start.

I do agree that a long time intro is best…..but sometimes such might not be possible.  I would rather plant a seed than not if the time to prepare and cultivate is not available.  Years ago I read in some marketing book that if a person hears a word 7 times…..he or she will act upon it.  Don’t know if that is true…but seems reasonable.  And then there is the number 7….

Lastly….I suspect that in the next few decades, the UB WILL be a greater topic of discussion amongst the clergy.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Hello Cole,

The minister did not mention the book by name, but those of us who know of it could easily understand. My uncle and aunt (first wife) studied the book with friends and he read some until his last year. He has been a great influence on his son also.

The minister is conservative and of The Church of the Brethren, a small denomination, one of the three historic peace churches.

Yes the next decade could mightily benefit from past and current seeding!

Cole
    Cole
    Participant

Rather coincidental that this topic came up….sometimes when I receive an unsolicited email from someone in my former line of work (and sometimes others too), I respond and in the process, ask if they have read the UB.

Today, I got this response today from a man that runs an engineering consulting firm in L.A:

I have not read the Urantia Book. Now that you mentioned it, I went to Wikipedia and scanned quickly through the content to get a rudimentary idea of what it was. Thank you for mentioning it to me. It seems that many have found it interesting. I will read more about it when work is not so pressing. Thanks again,  xxxx  xxxxxxxxx

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Well, I concur. There are times curiosity rises and someone will go look. We do risk rejection if someone is not more open to possibilities, if they ultimately reject because they’re not ready. But hey! We have to take risks. I do feel there is too much hurry about getting someone into the resource, sometimes.

A group in Tennessee is getting books out free at every opportunity—- fairs, street displays, other places. Only once in 30 some years have I had a person contact me when invited to discuss or address their questions. Hmmmmmm. Perhaps that is evidence for a style change.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.