Where's that Quote?

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions Where's that Quote?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

To allow the best from each person is to move toward allowing the best from each person. You know the book well; this “allow” concept is couched in progress for families, communities and nations.

I can’t recall where I read it. But, the concept permeates the Revelation! Yes or no???

I don’t get what you mean when you say, “To allow the best from each person is to move toward allowing the best from each person.”  I have no idea about the “‘allow’ concept”  you mention permeating the book.  You’ll have to show me what you mean or tell me what you mean.  Thanks.

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

The word “allow” is utilized 65 places in the UB and in my thinking to allow is to decide, which is mind action. Someone’s mind is moving, not static, on a question, situation, thought or whatever. To allow someone else to have or to be is a decision to relate to someone and therefore is a factor allowing others to move, to have, to experience, to relate to or otherwise remove barriers. To allow is motion of the person to relate and therefore allowing is movement, progressive. The revelators tell us to allow, as the Gods also allow, gift to us the privilege of life. God, being omniscient, all powerful and the Ultimate of love and gifting, is the major and absolute model for persons to allow other persons fullness of being. God is the Ultimate pattern for relationships.

You can’t move in spiritual growth if you cannot allow others to have their being in relating to God and to participate in civil improvements. As the authors tell us in 100:1.2, “The chief inhibitors of growth are prejudice and ignorance.”

To be prejudicial is to be a block to another’s potential. More could be said. A major message in the UB is God’s ideals of relationships, loving people so much, as Jesus loved us, (taught to the 11 Apostles at the Last Supper) as he allowed others to form their own concepts and allowed them to learn at personal movement rates. So therefore, personal movement involves allowing others to grow in social, spiritual, and generally, life opportunities and our Creator intends. Allowing others to benefit is spiritual growth, IMHO.

God’s gifts include ample allowing our progress while it is designed we are to eventually, divinely relate while human and to grow in concept after our mortal career. Essentially, we are allowed to define allowing according to what you understand of God and His marvelous celestial team!

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Mark Kurtz wrote:

The word “allow” is utilized 65 places in the UB and in my thinking to allow is to decide, which is mind action.

Of yourself, do you mean to allow (decide) to be more tolerant? Or/and less prejudice? To allow/decide it’s okay for others to have other points of view which are different or very different from yours?

I looked up the word “allow”in the UB – those 65 places you mention.  Here are most of them.  I quit listing them, because it was getting monotonous.  I discovered in the UB usage that the word “allow” is synonymous with the word “permit” with several exceptions, as follows:

3:1.6  […] Hence must the concept of the divine presence allow for a wide range of both mode and channel of manifestation embracing the presence circuits of the Eternal Son, the Infinite Spirit . . . .

8:6.1  Do not allow the widespread bestowal and the far-flung distribution of the Third Source and Center. . . .

12:7.12  [.,,] Do not allow the magnitude of the infinity, the immensity . . ..

15:5.5 […] Such an approach may not be near enough to result in collision but still near enough to allow the gravity pull of the greater body. . . .

54:3.2  . . .such personal identification with sin and the execution of the penalty — the automatic result of such a willful embrace of evil — a period of time of sufficient length to allow for such an adjudication . . . .

54:5.8 . . . counseled Michael to remain aloof from the rebels and allow rebellion to pursue . . . .

54:5.9 . . . advised the Constellation Fathers to allow the rebels free course . . . .

58:6.5 . . . in the oceans animal life evolved, and it was comparatively simple to allow the briny waters. . . .

65:8.2  […] If the physical conditions would allow, we could arrange for the completed evolution. . . .

69:8.10  Today, men are not social slaves, but thousands allow ambition. . . .

76:2.2  […] But this Abel would not allow, and he taunted his older brother. . . .

82:3.11  . . .when they were subsequently left widowers, would allow them to marry. . . .

82:4.4  . . .retain these mores, which allow so-called crimes of honor under the unwritten law.

83:7.3  . . .and the priest marriage, which did not allow for separation.

90:4.4  . . .trephining the skull to allow a headache spirit. . . .

100:4.5  […] But allow us to enlarge the picture.

102:1.2  . . .true wisdom admonishes us to allow faith to accomplish through religious insight. . . .

102:3.4 . . .but rather to allow the overflow of the welling-up. . . .

111:7.2  . . .if you would only allow the Adjuster. . . .

111:7.3  […] Why do you not allow the Adjuster. . . .

113:2.5  . . .why you will so persistently allow your higher intellectual powers. . . .

114:7.14  Urantia mortals should not allow the comparative spiritual. . . .

117:4.10  . . . or by rejecting survival, will you allow these secrets. . . .

117:4.13  . . .can you allow yourself to pass into the realm of. . . .

120:3.1 “. . .the general conduct of your bestowal, allow me to present. . . .”

123:6.8  . . .advised Joseph and Mary to allow him. . . .

127:1.7  . . .he decided to allow her to entertain whatever. . . .

127:2.9  . . . if they would only consent to allow Jesus to remain. . . .

128:6.7  […] After warning Jude not to allow himself . . .

132:5.23  “. . .only that which all honest men would allow.”

136:9.13  . . .that he allow his followers. . . .

140:6.6  “. . .Shall we allow a man to divorce. . . ..”

140:8.26  […] He sought to allow each soul. . . .

142:3.21  “. . .commandments, which you will all allow are more worthy. . . .”

142:7.17  […] “Will you not allow me to use the earth family. . . .”

142:8.5  . . .and decided to allow him to carry on his teaching. . . .

143:6.3  […] In any religion it is very easy to allow values to. . . .

145:5.1  . . .that he might not allow his human sympathy. . . .

147:6.4  . . .is hardly more work than the chewing of the grain, which you allow;

151:2.2  . . .but who allow the cares of the world and the deceitfulness. . . .

154:6.3  “. . .before he would allow these wicked Pharisees. . . .”

157:2.2  […] “Do not allow yourselves to become blinded by prejudice and paralyzed by fear.”

162:5.2  […] “You even allow that the witness of two reliable persons may be accepted. . . .”

163:2.8  . . .will not coerce man; they allow him to go the way of his own choosing.

165:2.8  […] “. . .will flee and allow the sheep. . . .”

167:4.4  . . .it was only folly to allow Jesus to go. . . .

174:0.2  […] “Do not allow the things which you cannot understand. . . .”

177:5.2  […] “And so you must not allow yourselves to be deceived. . . .”

178:1.11  “. . .and you must not allow anything to divert your. . . .”

To allow (permit) infers not to allow (not to permit). In your thinking, does to allow (decide) infer not to allow (not to decide)?  It seems that in some of the above references not-to-allow is a good thing. Or to put it another way, not-to-allow is preferred over allowing – which is a positive decision. Do not allow yourselves to be deceived. . .you must not allow anything to divert your. . .do not allow yourselves to become blinded. . . and so on.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

This conversation got me thinking about “capacity”…we can never “allow” more than our capacity…a pint cannot hold a quart!  = )

Keyword capacity:

Search The Urantia Book

26.7) 1:4.5 The divine mystery consists in the inherent difference which exists between the finite and the infinite, the temporal and the eternal, the time-space creature and the Universal Creator, the material and the spiritual, the imperfection of man and the perfection of Paradise Deity. The God of universal love unfailingly manifests himself to every one of his creatures up to the fullness of that creature’s capacity to spiritually grasp the qualities of divine truth, beauty, and goodness.

(27.1) 1:4.6 To every spirit being and to every mortal creature in every sphere and on every world of the universe of universes, the Universal Father reveals all of his gracious and divine self that can be discerned or comprehended by such spirit beings and by such mortal creatures. God is no respecter of persons, either spiritual or material. The divine presence which any child of the universe enjoys at any given moment is limited only by the capacity of such a creature to receive and to discern the spirit actualities of the supermaterial world.

(27.2) 1:4.7 As a reality in human spiritual experience God is not a mystery. But when an attempt is made to make plain the realities of the spirit world to the physical minds of the material order, mystery appears: mysteries so subtle and so profound that only the faith-grasp of the God-knowing mortal can achieve the philosophic miracle of the recognition of the Infinite by the finite, the discernment of the eternal God by the evolving mortals of the material worlds of time and space.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    I am now wondering if both you and Mark have learned a usage of the verb “to allow” which is generally uncommon, but which usage IS common in the regions where you live?

This conversation got me thinking about “capacity”…we can never “allow” more than our capacity…a pint cannot hold a quart!  = )

Inherent capacities can’t be exceded. (48:7.5)  Tell me how it is possible to “allow” more than “our” capacity.  Neither you nor I have anything to do with inherent capacities. A pint does not hold a quart no matter what.  “Allowing” more doesn’t apply here, or, am I misunderstanding you?

God, being omniscient, all powerful and the Ultimate of love and gifting, is the major and absolute model for persons to allow other persons fullness of being.

Tell me how it is possible to prevent “other persons fullness of being”.  Neither you nor I have anything to do with preventing or allowing “other persons fullness of being”.  Fullness of being is and always has been a matter of personal choice to do the will of our Father, and this can be done, even by people whose minds are not of a high order. (139:10.6)   Am I misunderstanding you?

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Mara,

My idea on “allow” has always been personal mind action. Allowing is mind action, a decision for each person, as is prejudice also. We can allow or decide to disallow.  To allow, based on our understandings of God, is personal movement toward divine ideals. Just that simple. My main idea is simply “move out of the way” and allow someone to have and not block or prevent another person.

Whoever said or wrote it, here is my recollection: Allow all people to rise to their highest ability (or capability) and willingness.

IMHO this leaves little or no room for prejudice.

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.