When adversity and affliction befall us

Home Forums Urantia Book General Discussions When adversity and affliction befall us

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Julian
    Julian
    Participant

My dear friends and fellow forumites!

This coming Friday (6th) I am having surgery to remove a rectal tumour that has been shrunk following 6 weeks of radiotherapy and chemotherapy. It is a complex operation but I feel confident about it’s successful outcome. I am experiencing an amazing peace that I can only attribute to the merciful ministry of the spirits dwelling within my heart and mind. I would very much appreciate your prayers on my behalf.

I thought it would also be edifying and encouraging to remind ourselves about what the UB tells us concerning the purpose of adversity and affliction. I am sure we all have a personal story to relate which could be of benefit to someone facing a difficult challenge right now. Perhaps we could contribute our favourite UB quote regarding the role of hardship in our daily walk and how we can be sustained by God’s infinite love and sublime watchcare!

I thank you all in anticipation. :-)

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    126:4.6  “To whom, then, will you liken God who sits upon the circle of the earth? Lift up your eyes and behold who has created all these worlds, who brings forth their host by number and calls them all by their names. He does all these things by the greatness of his might, and because he is strong in power, not one fails. He gives power to the weak, and to those who are weary he increases strength. Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and I will help you; yes, I will uphold you with the right hand of my righteousness, for I am the Lord your God. And I will hold your right hand, saying to you, fear not, for I will help you.” [Isaiah 41:10]
    I pray that you be strengthened in body, mind and soul as you pass through the treatments just ahead for you, Julian.  I pray also for the medical staff who are providing care for you.  I am praying for you to be healed.  I know I am asking for a material outcome for you, but I must ask for it! I am hoping for the best outcome for you and for your family.
    Jesus said, “In the matter of sickness and health, you should know that these bodily states are the result of material causes; health is not the smile of heaven, neither is affliction the frown of God.” [166:4.10]
    You’re in my thoughts and prayers.
    Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

Julian, I’m sorry you have to go through this and I will pray for your spiritual, mental and physical strength.  I have confidence you are in excellent hands.  I also want to say that being at peace with the situation is the best way to enter into it.  The psyche has a tremendous influence on the body.  There have been many books written on the subject and even TUB tells us this is true.  A calm faith in God’s over-care can surmount many seemingly impossible barriers.  I wouldn’t look at it as an affliction as much as a gift.  Sounds odd I know, but such an attitude brings hope, courage and trust.  All good things

My favorite quote in the entire book is this one:

26:5.3 That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing–absolutely nothing–is impossible.”

This quote has gotten me through some of the worst afflictions a person can have in this life.  I keep this quote with me at all times.  It reminds me that God lives in me and with me and will never leave me through all manner of suffering.  How comforting is that?  To be a partner with God in this life is the greatest gift, and to share all manner of life with him is the best I can give back.

Gene
    Participant

Brother Julian, been there, done that – you will get thru it and my prayers will certainly be with you.

rather than post a favorite quote what I did was search the book for the word: Adversity. I got 18 hits and all suggested something positive follows.

Gene
    Participant

Julian, I’m sorry you have to go through this and I will pray for your spiritual, mental and physical strength. I have confidence you are in excellent hands. I also want to say that being at peace with the situation is the best way to enter into it. The psyche has a tremendous influence on the body. There have been many books written on the subject and even TUB tells us this is true. A calm faith in God’s over-care can surmount many seemingly impossible barriers. I wouldn’t look at it as an affliction as much as a gift. Sounds odd I know, but such an attitude brings hope, courage and trust. All good things My favorite quote in the entire book is this one:

26:5.3 That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space. But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing–absolutely nothing–is impossible.”

This quote has gotten me through some of the worst afflictions a person can have in this life. I keep this quote with me at all times. It reminds me that God lives in me and with me and will never leave me through all manner of suffering. How comforting is that? To be a partner with God in this life is the greatest gift, and to share all manner of life with him is the best I can give back.

if memory serves this quote may describe the Agondonters?

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant
    Gene wrote:   if memory serves this quote may describe the Agondonters?

No, that describes all ascenders arriving in the Central Universe.  This is the Agondonter quote:

50:7.2 On Jerusem the ascenders from these isolated worlds occupy a residential sector by themselves and are known as the agondonters, meaning evolutionary will creatures who can believe without seeing, persevere when isolated, and triumph over insuperable difficulties even when alone. This functional grouping of the agondonters persists throughout the ascension of the local universe and the traversal of the superuniverse; it disappears during the sojourn in Havona but promptly reappears upon the attainment of Paradise and definitely persists in the Corps of the Mortal Finality. Tabamantia is an agondonter of finaliter status, having survived from one of the quarantined spheres involved in the first rebellion ever to take place in the universes of time and space.

chucksmith1982
    Participant

My thoughts and prayers will be with you Julian.

On a related note, perhaps it would be a good idea to start a topic called prayers and praise. In it, any who wanted could post prayer requests as well as praise for answered prayers. Sort of like they do in church. You know, one person gets up and asks for prayer, the church prays, and another gets up and tells how God has or is answering a prayer.

Julian
    Julian
    Participant

I just want to thank everyone who responded to my prayer request. I really appreciate your kind words of support and encouragement. I am conscious of God’s loving presence with me as I prepare to undergo surgery tomorrow. Feel free to suggest more quotes that testify to the value of adversity and affliction and God’s promise to walk with us through it.

Here is one of so many that can be found in the book:

The Universal Father is the only personality in all the universe who does actually know the number of the stars and planets of space. All the worlds of every universe are constantly within the consciousness of God. He also says: “I have surely seen the affliction of my people, I have heard their cry, and I know their sorrows.” For “the Lord looks from heaven; he beholds all the sons of men; from the place of his habitation he looks upon all the inhabitants of the earth.” Every creature child may truly say: “He knows the way I take, and when he has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” “God knows our downsittings and our uprisings; he understands our thoughts afar off and is acquainted with all our ways.” “All things are naked and open to the eyes of him with whom we have to do.” And it should be a real comfort to every human being to understand that “he knows your frame; he remembers that you are dust.” Jesus, speaking of the living God, said, “Your Father knows what you have need of even before you ask him. [3:3.2; 49.1]

Chuck, your idea of starting a topic called “prayers and praise” is a good one. Perhaps it could be a separate forum rather than listed under “Urantia Book General Discussions”.  :-)

Bonita
    Bonita
    Participant

There are so many inspiring quotes, I’ll try to find as many as I can.  Here’s a start:

2:5.3   Even during your fiery trials remember that “in all our afflictions he is afflicted with us.”

140:5.18 In the face of trials and persecutions he said, “My peace I leave with you.” “Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”

148:5.5 ‘When you pass through the waters of affliction, I will be with you, and when the rivers of adversity overflow you, I will not forsake you.’ ‘He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and to comfort all who mourn.’ ‘There is correction in suffering; affliction does not spring forth from the dust.'”

3:6.6  He has said of the mortal races, “In all your afflictions I am afflicted.” He unquestionably experiences a fatherly and sympathetic understanding; he may truly suffer, but I do not comprehend the nature thereof.

3:3.2 He also says: “I have surely seen the affliction of my people, I have heard their cry, and I know their sorrows.” For “the Lord looks from heaven; he beholds all the sons of men; from the place of his habitation he looks upon all the inhabitants of the earth.” Every creature child may truly say: “He knows the way I take, and when he has tried me, I shall come forth as gold.” “God knows our downsittings and our uprisings; he understands our thoughts afar off and is acquainted with all our ways.” “All things are naked and open to the eyes of him with whom we have to do.” And it should be a real comfort to every human being to understand that “he knows your frame; he remembers that you are dust.” Jesus, speaking of the living God, said, “Your Father knows what you have need of even before you ask him.”

1:5.16 It is literally true: “In all your afflictions he is afflicted.” “In all your triumphs he triumphs in and with you.” His prepersonal divine spirit is a real part of you.

And my personal fave concerning the Master:

128:1.5 It is forever and gloriously true: “We have a high ruler who can be touched with the feeling of our infirmities. We have a Sovereign who was in all points tested and tempted like as we are, yet without sin.” And since he himself has suffered, being tested and tried, he is abundantly able to understand and minister to those who are confused and distressed.

Mara
    Mara
    Participant
    As you prepare for what is just ahead for you Julian, be invigorated by the feast of uncertainty set before you and live the gift of your unconquerable faith.
    4:4.9   The consciousness of a victorious human life on earth is born of that creature faith which dares to challenge each recurring episode of existence when confronted with the awful spectacle of human limitations, by the. unfailing declaration: Even if I cannot do this, there lives in me one who can and will do it, a part of the Father-Absolute of the universe of universes. And that is “the victory which overcomes the world, even your faith.”
    26:5.3 […]  But long before reaching Havona, these ascendant children of time have learned to feast upon uncertainty, to fatten upon disappointment, to enthuse over apparent defeat, to invigorate in the presence of difficulties, to exhibit indomitable courage in the face of immensity, and to exercise unconquerable faith when confronted with the challenge of the inexplicable. Long since, the battle cry of these pilgrims became: “In liaison with God, nothing — absolutely nothing — is impossible.”
    André
    André
    Participant

Dear Julian,

Dearest brothers/sisters,

How encouraging promesses done to sons/daughters by affectionate parents.

That, then, is the primary or elementary course which confronts the faith-tested and much-traveled pilgrims of space.

… if each of us originated Sons/Daughters of Mankind kingdom will at first hand lie down our life for the benefit of ours childrens so as Sons/Daughters of God Kingdom, Michael and Nebadonia, ours elderest brother/sister … way beyond … these descendant Children of Almighty God feast upon certainty, fatten upon achievements, enthuse with victory, stimulated with blessings from The Suprême,  faith never been necessary for ours pilgrims Parents of Paradise because they represent, personified Love, Certainty, Achievements,Victory whom are more than attributes of Universal God, they Are Him.

P1459:6, 132:3.6 Faith acts to release the superhuman activities of the divine spark, the immortal germ, that lives within the mind of man …

You are the blessed child of God, Julian.

xoxo

Gene
    Participant

Still thinking about you and praying all went well.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.