what topic

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    nelsong
    Participant

So you have a chance to give a talk at your local non-denominational basically Christian church.

What topic would you choose.

Assuming you are a well read Urantian.

Keryn
    Participant

I would probably talk about some of the things from TUB that were new to me with regard to Jesus’ life and teachings. For example:

Jesus refused to be drawn into debates about politics and social issues and he taught that religion should focus on spiritual values, rather than material conditions.

Jesus’ teachings were always phrased and delivered in a way that was custom tailored to the capacities of his listeners. He was not one to flaunt his intelligence or to show off how well read/ well educated he was. He also did not teach exclusively relying on the old doctrines and traditions. His teachings were contemporary with regard to the way he illustrated the timeless principles and spiritual values that he wanted to convey. He knew that the teachings must always be alive and fresh, even though the core of everything he lived and taught was truly timeless.

We should focus on Jesus’ life, not on his death. Our spiritual practice should recognize Jesus as both our brother and our Creator and should emphasize his presence in our lives NOW, not the circumstances under which he departed our world.

Jesus made it a practice to have some down time – to play, to experience humor, and to play with the children. He also worked very hard at making a livelihood to support his family. Jesus demonstrated the importance of living a balanced life.

Jesus experienced interpersonal conflicts, misunderstandings, and disappointments. His relationships with his immediate family were not always ideal. He exhibited tolerance and patience in all these difficulties.

Jesus was never in a hurry. (I know this may seem laughably trivial, but this statement really spoke to me. I tend to always be in a hurry and I don’t even know why. Knowing this about Jesus helps me keep things in perspective.)

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

I am not sure how you measure “well read.” But I will give it a shot. I would talk about TA during mortal life, soul survival after death, the Mansion world and TA fusion.

BB

nelsong
    Participant

Hey BB,

Yeah, well read is a bit open for clarification.

Thanks for the ideas.

If i present Jesus as our creator or discuss TA I will be certain to raise some eyebrows – eh?

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

Hey BB, Yeah, well read is a bit open for clarification. Thanks for the ideas. If i present Jesus as our creator or discuss TA I will be certain to raise some eyebrows – eh?

Perhaps you could explain that TA is the spirit of the father gifted to humankind and cross reference passages in the Bible.   That is how I would approach it.  Have you heard of  “The Paramony” compiled by Duane L. Faw? I find it very useful when cross referencing between TUB and THB.

BB

nelsong
    Participant

Hey BB, Yeah, well read is a bit open for clarification. Thanks for the ideas. If i present Jesus as our creator or discuss TA I will be certain to raise some eyebrows – eh?

Perhaps you could explain that TA is the spirit of the father gifted to humankind and cross reference passages in the Bible. That is how I would approach it. Have you heard of “The Paramony” compiled by Duane L. Faw? I find it very useful when cross referencing between TUB and THB.

Quite a while ago brother Bradley mentioned Paramony but I have yet to get my hands on it. I really like the cross reference idea while trying to present something that may be new to many – good thinking.

Also, having never read the Bible it is certain to enlighten me.

tas
    Participant

Hi nelsong,

One way to bridge the concept of the TA over to Christian perspectives if you do decide on that topic is through the Quaker tradition of the “inner light”, it’s remarkably similar, but of course the UB then extends the concept even further.

Here is a very good, brief overview: Inner Light.

tas

Brooklyn_born
    Brooklyn_born
    Participant

nel, the paramony is online. I hope I don’t get in trouble for posting the link here. If so, I understand if it is deleted.

http://www.urantiabook.org/urantiabook/paramony/urantia_book_refs_index.html

BB

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Given the situation between “peoples of the(ir) book(s)“, maybe the story of who kick-started Abraham?

I don’t think anyone has a bad word to say about old Abe…  so if his innumerable (Jewish, Christian and Muslim) descendants-in-faith  were to know something of how their focus of worship used Big Mac to help launch Father Abe’s culture-shaping career, maybe… perspectives could shift?

Nigel

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

Hello All!  The Paramony is also available at Amazon for those, like me, who prefer three books open on the table – paramony, bible, UB.  Very valuable reference book…goes both ways Bible to UB and UB to Bible.  I actually had the opportunity to “preach” a few months in a small nondenominational congregation, the small church in the wild wood, as a temporary sub for the circuit rider (this a long time ago but long after the UB changed my life).  My teaching-message was always a contrasting of the Jesusonian and the Paulinian versions of text.  Not a contrast perhaps, but a straight from the scriptures lesson that defied Paul’s message.  Just the paternal creator of infinite love and the resultant fact of ALL people being in that family…if they chose love, mercy, kindness, forgiveness, patience, tolerance……and faith.  The “first stone” was not popular it seemed.  Judgment and prejudice are good topics.  Trying to expand thinking, while not condemning or damning anyone was well received by most.  But I grew up “in the scriptures” so to speak.  The 5th is but an enlargement or expansion of the 4th.  So, I would suggest nothing new or extraordinary is required to engage a willing audience.

Bradly
    Bradly
    Participant

There are many Christians today that are unaffiliated and that do not attend any congregation; these the disappointed, the liberal truth seeker, the anti-institutional, and those, like me, who dove into many disciplines and teachings to come full circle back to Jesus and his teachings within the Revelation.  I think Christians of strong faith, conviction, and attendance in congregation are not really fertile soil for the UB.  But those many, and increasing numbers, who are the evolutionary result of the original protest fracture and from there to more and more individualized beliefs and practices, that still respond to the Jesusonian voice and his Spirit and they are far more fertile soil.  And those who carry the fruit of time spent with the 5th and who also attend any denominational congregation, plant seeds of truth, beauty, and goodness thereby.

I think the key to this query was best exemplified by our Master.  Your message depends entirely upon your audience and great respect and diligence need be applied.  His most amazing teaching skill to me was his ability to ask precisely the right question to elicit a response that resonated truth in powerful ways and surprising ways.  We have no need to educate or enlighten those of faith or those without, but rather, to share in that faith and find those elements in common within all others.  Cultivate that once found and see what springs forth.  There are those with very constricted and closed and precious doctrines and creeds that yet need further evolution to transcend such prejudice.  They are hardly worth the breath except in defense of another and in testimony to God’s paternity and love and mercy.  But there are many “liberal” Christians, thinkers and doubters, confusions not uncommon, independent, often educated, sincere, and well intended…..this is the most fertile soil of all I think, those who remain convinced of the truth of and about Jesus as his Spirit of Truth so testifies to them, as does their heritage and childhood foundation.

Now, to be clear, I only claim this the most fertile soil, not the most important.  And those described above are everywhere around the world in every culture and continent.  We are seed sowers and some seed will fall here and some there, its not the sowers worry I don’t think.  God will bless those who serve in sincerity no matter where the their seed sown might fall….but sowing such seed in our way and by our talents is something to consider as imperative.   Great topic.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.