What caused the dinosaur extinction?

Home Forums Science & History What caused the dinosaur extinction?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Here’s an interesting article from “The Atlantic” magazine on the debate about what caused the dinosaur extinction.  The article is titled:

“The Nastiest Feud in Science”

Nigel Nunn
    Participant

Hi Mara,

Fascinating article! I had no idea about those monster volcanoes in the Deccan Trapps. Keller and colleagues make a good case for an alternative to that dinosaur-killing asteroid.

Regarding such fierce battles between professionals, that sort of bitterness between peers seems to be characteristic in so many fields. Entrenched ideas can be such a roadblock, especially when the various sides can’t even agree on the data.

As I consider the interesting times ahead, as we gently leak ultimatonic foundations for standard models, her example serves as powerful encouragement   :good:

Nigel

André
    André
    Participant

Hi Mara,

Looking back at old archives (august 2018), I red your thread and wonder if your title-question got answered ?

Your post refered to another “new” myth,folktales ?

André

Mara
    Mara
    Participant

Hello André,

The question was is intended to entice the reader to read the article.  The debate goes on in the science community.  As for myself, I am satisfied with the logic of the information provided in the UB.

60:3.21   The wading and swimming prebirds of earlier ages had not been a success in the air, nor had the flying dinosaurs. They were a short-lived species, soon becoming extinct. They, too, were subject to the dinosaur doom, destruction, because of having too little brain substance in comparison with body size. This second attempt to produce animals that could navigate the atmosphere failed, as did the abortive attempt to produce mammals during this and a preceding age.
    A timeline reference refers to this age as the Early Land-Life Era, and the “. . .closing epochs of the preceding era were indeed the age of frogs. . . .” (59:5.6 ; 60:0.2)
    60:3.20    60,000,000 years ago, though the land reptiles were on the decline, the dinosaurs continued as monarchs of the land, the lead now being taken by the more agile and active types of the smaller leaping kangaroo varieties of the carnivorous dinosaurs. But sometime previously there had appeared new types of the herbivorous dinosaurs, whose rapid increase was due to the appearance of the grass family of land plants. One of these new grass-eating dinosaurs was a true quadruped having two horns and a capelike shoulder flange. The land type of turtle, twenty feet across, appeared as did also the modern crocodile and true snakes of the modern type. Great changes were also occurring among the fishes and other forms of marine life.
    Did the survival of the crocodile to modern times occur due to brain size relative to body size? Or was it something else as well?
    ( I don’t know why the words are bolded.  I didn’t click on bold. :-( )
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.