Use of Skype

Home Forums The Value of Study Groups Use of Skype

7 sujets de 1 à 7 (sur un total de 7)
  • Auteur
    scott-brooks
    scott-brooks
    Participant

We’ve had a lot of success using Skype (also tried Facetime, Google Hangouts, ooVoo.com) to allow individual readers join our study group. We gather in the home of our host and set a turntable in the center of us all and set a computer on the turntable. When our remote guest skypes-in, they engage in conversations just as easily and smoothly as if they were there. (see photo)

We are looking to expand this concept by using ooVoo.com to allow multiple guests to join in remotely.

We haven’t found a way yet, though, to allow our remote guests to join in with the delicious finger foods that are served prior to the meeting. We’re working on that!

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

What photo Scott?

G’day Scott,

We also use Skype to share in the study group experience. Increasing your subscription to Premium allows for multiple callers. This does work well. The challenge issharing  the nibblies!

Praying for the forward momentum of Brotherhood on our world

Skype Translator will open up endless possibilities for people around the world to connect, communicate and collaborate, »

Praying for the forward momentum of Brotherhood on our world

Mark Kurtz
    Participant

Scott,et al,

FYI eight of us attended the first Alabama Online Urantia Study Group on Sunday evening, September 13.  This was led by Oscar who began a study theme, As Jesus Passed By, which will cover encounters Jesus had with four different persons, the first about Nicodemus.  Oscar selects the study topics, issues advance information and leads the meetings.  We will meet the second and fourth Sunday evenings using Zoom software. The meeting is open to video and audio online and also by telephone.

This follows a state gathering in the Birmingham area in March 2015.  We would be open to your suggestions for success.

Peace to all! Mark

scott-brooks
    scott-brooks
    Participant

Skype has recently changed its policy and now allows up to ten video participants on their free skype program. So, we now use Skype exclusively (we used to use ooVoo.com which was good, but considered less mainstream).

We invite virtual members. And, at our last study group we only had two local readers and four virtual skypers. There are a couple accessories that enhance the experience. 1) a turntable that sets in the middle of the table around which folks gather allows the laptop to be rotated around the room as people speak so the virtual participants can see who is speaking. 2) a small fish-eye lens can be purchased on Amazon that clips over the camera hole and makes more of the room visible for virtual participants.

If you want to invite skypers to join your group, be sure to list your group on UrantiaStudyGroup.org as a virtual group.

chucksmith1982
    Participant

I can attest to the use of Zoom and Skype. I attended the Urantia gathering Mark spoke of via Skype audio call. I also attend the Zoom study group via phone. Both experiences were rewarding for me in that I could fully share my Urantia beliefs, something that I rarely do outside the group.

Chuck

7 sujets de 1 à 7 (sur un total de 7)

Login to reply to this topic.

Not registered? Sign up here.